BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-26-2009, 03:52 PM   #23
John@BMW
I can't belive this car is a 4 door family sedan.

Drives: 2008 M3 sedan, '96 M3

all out power shifting from first to 2nd gear is near impossible in this car- sorry to say.

I have been through everything imaginable with my car and it is simply not in the cards.

Bmw designs this car to be a 'touring' car and a road racer. A road course driver is not power shifting and slamming gears unless he has a transmission with strait cut gears.

The only time power shifting the car will net you a faster time is during a drag race. This car is not designed to be a drag car at ALL. It just isnt-

If you like this M3, you best bet is to go for the DCT Model- completely different kind of transmission that allows for super fast gear changes.

Otherwise, the 6 speed trans, needs a little more time to get from 1st to 2nd. 1-2 is the only gear change that you cannot power shift hard in. 2-3 change, you can let it rip.

Hell, sometimes a fast 1-2 shift gives so much wheel spin, it nets you a slower ET
      06-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #24
Chipped B6
Favorite ride of all time?: Blondes.

Drives: Boooooost!

Garage List
2014 228i Coupe  [0.00]
2013 ActiveHybrid 3  [0.00]
2014 M5  [2.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [4.80]
2011 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc1979 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Some forum members obviously have a lot more class then others. BMW markets this car as performance oriented and bred for the race track. Even in their owners manual they discuss tracking the car. This transmission should be able to handle whatever I give it.

Why did I spend $100K+ on a sports car and I'm not able to drive it in an aggressive fashion. If I want to abuse my car, then I will do so. My original post was inquiring on how to prevent the grinding that comes from powershifting. For those of you that track your car, you know that every millisecond counts. A powershift into 2nd or 3rd can be the difference between achieving a good time and achieving a great time.
Well why not buy a dedicated E36 M3 track car with all the cage, stripped, and whatnot for like 20K and it will kill off almost everything on the track.

No... instead you buy a CONVERTIBLE for whatever amount you paid and you expect it to be a full bred race car?

Sorry. The M3 is for sure a drivers car but it's not a dedicated race car.

Take it easy, this ain't a Civic.
      06-26-2009, 07:48 PM   #25
mvagusta
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 m3 coup

That is all you need to do. Clutch first to the floor and shift to second fast. Just get your leg down there before the shift..
Appreciate 0