BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Steve Thomas BMW

06-20-2009, 12:19 AM   #1
leJUNd
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e90 M3

click at the end of gas pedal travel...

I replaced my stock gas pedal with BMW stainless steel pedals. I noticed looking at my stock pedals, it has a small metal plate on the back of the pedal that clicks when pressed all the way down...
does this click at the end of gas pedal travel do anything? Is the car not at WOT when pedal is not clicked down all the way? Is the click just for feel?
I will post pics...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 12:37 AM   #2
TTBear
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: '09 LP560, '14 M235i, '12 X6M

Do you have DCT? The click is to cause a "kick down" shift, when you are in automatic mode. Kinda like a regular automatic tranny.
It doesn't matter whether you use the click or not - once you REACH the detent, you are at WOT, or so I am led to believe.
      06-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

I'm puzzled as to why they designed this "click"/detent into the gas pedal stroke. It does feel like the detent in some auto boxes that provide a downshift. With the software in the DCT or with the 6MT this simply is not required. A small correction to the post above you are at WOT not at the click but with a few more centimeters of pedal travel after the click. Nail the pedal hard only when it does not move anymore is it at WOT.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: .

I haven't done WOT yet (still break-in), but was told by a DCT owner that more than a 'click', it's actually a 'detent', so it might be confused for WOT when it's not. He said you have to overcome the resistance and keep pressing. Hope my 6MT doesn't have that, but will scrutinize my gas pedal when I remove it for my 'ultimate pedal' installation.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep

Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
It's only a DCT/Auto thing. When you click the button it'll downshift to the lowest gear possible at that speed.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #6
r53s65e90
United_States
Rep

Drives: r53 s65e90

It is pretty simple. When you are past the final resistance and hit "-" the dct will go the gear appropriate for maximum acceleration (in manual mode). For exmaple when at 7th going 75 it will drop to 3rd. If you don't depress the gas past the last resistance point and press "-" it will go to the next lower gear. In automatic mode it will kick down 2-3 gears without going past the extra resistance at the end of pedal travel.

This extra resistance is there to tell the transmission that want to drop multiple gears. In 6mt transmission you just take the stick from 6th to 3rd.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r53s65e90 View Post
In 6mt transmission you just take the stick from 6th to 3rd.
... and hope you're not over the rev limit . For the newbies out there, you shouldn't try that until you know your car pretty well, as there's no 'nanny' to avoid a mechanical overrev. Take care gang.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 11:35 PM   #8
///M Pow3r
Private
Rep

Drives: 09 E92 M3

The click is also for launch control. In order to launch, and also in order for the car to shift automatically at redline during launch control, you have to keep it pressed all the way.
      06-21-2009, 12:27 AM   #9
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 6MT AW

kickdown switch like every other auto car on the planet
      06-21-2009, 02:06 AM   #10
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It is pretty simple. When you are past the final resistance and hit "-" the dct will go the gear appropriate for maximum acceleration (in manual mode). For exmaple when at 7th going 75 it will drop to 3rd. If you don't depress the gas past the last resistance point and press "-" it will go to the next lower gear. In automatic mode it will kick down 2-3 gears without going past the extra resistance at the end of pedal travel.

This extra resistance is there to tell the transmission that want to drop multiple gears. In 6mt transmission you just take the stick from 6th to 3rd.
Are you sure you have driven a M-DCT? It absolutely will not downshift automatically, except at prevent a stall, while in manual model. Furthermore, the car will easily downshift 2-3 gears going nowhere near the detent point while in D4 or D5.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 02:08 AM   #11
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Pow3r View Post
The click is also for launch control. In order to launch, and also in order for the car to shift automatically at redline during launch control, you have to keep it pressed all the way.
I also must ask, have you driven the M-DCT and used LC?

LC ONLY works if you keep the gas pedal absolutely pinned, to the floor. You can not get it to launch nor keep it in LC mode by just getting to the detent point. If you are agreeing with this (which it sounds like you are not) then what point is the detent that is a bit less than true WOT?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 02:10 AM   #12
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda///Monic View Post
kickdown switch like every other auto car on the planet
It is not an automatic transmission. All automatic downshifts can be determined through software. And like I mentioned above the car can and does downshift multiple gears well before hitting the detent point. Seems like a ton of speculation going on here...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 02:35 AM   #13
r53s65e90
United_States
Rep

Drives: r53 s65e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Are you sure you have driven a M-DCT?
I am positively 100% sure that what I drive is an M-DCT because it does not have a clutch and a lot of Ms all over the place. How about you?

Please read again what I wrote in the post: "When you are past the final resistance and hit "-" the dct will go the gear appropriate for maximum acceleration (in manual mode)." Nothing automatic here. You downshift and tell the DCT drop as many as necessary for lift off.

Quote:
It absolutely will not downshift automatically, except at prevent a stall, while in manual model.
Definitely.

Quote:
Furthermore, the car will easily downshift 2-3 gears going nowhere near the detent point while in D4 or D5.
Please read before repeating: "In automatic mode it will kick down 2-3 gears without going past the extra resistance at the end of pedal travel." All I want to point out is that the extra click at the end is not necessary in D mode to make the transmission downshift multiple gears (kickdown).

Quote:
LC ONLY works if you keep the gas pedal absolutely pinned, to the floor. You can not get it to launch nor keep it in LC mode by just getting to the detent point. If you are agreeing with this (which it sounds like you are not) then what point is the detent that is a bit less than true WOT?
The car is definitely WOT past the extra pressure. It may be WOT before too but I am not sure about this. See what the manual says in the attachment.

Quote:
It is not an automatic transmission. All automatic downshifts can be determined through software. And like I mentioned above the car can and does downshift multiple gears well before hitting the detent point. Seems like a ton of speculation going on here...
It is an automatic (=self actuating - from Greek) transmission when in D mode. When in S mode the clutch operation is automatic and the driver chooses the gear. The word automatic perfectly describes MDCT.

There is no speculation. What I describe is what actually happens (I don't know about LC since I haven't used it so far).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 04:06 AM   #14
///M Pow3r
Private
Rep

Quote:
I also must ask, have you driven the M-DCT and used LC?

I said "you have to keep it pressed all the way," which I assumed would be understood as past the detent point. My car is DCT.
      06-21-2009, 04:10 AM   #15
///M Pow3r
Private
Rep

Quote:
Are you sure you have driven a M-DCT? It absolutely will not downshift automatically, except at prevent a stall, while in manual model. Furthermore, the car will easily downshift 2-3 gears going nowhere near the detent point while in D4 or D5.
Go on the freeway doing 70 in 7th gear in manual mode (S-whatever). Press the gas pedal all the way down, like you do for launch control, and downshift manually. It should drop you straight down to 3rd. There was a thread about this a while ago, many people (including myself) seemed to be unaware of this feature.

edit: hmm maybe you just misinterpreted what he wrote...in manual mode if you press the gas and don't do anything else, it will never downshift like it does in D mode, if that's what you mean, but he never said that it did. He stated: "when you press '-'" which I think he meant as downshifting.
      06-21-2009, 05:10 AM   #16
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Aw crap.
Now I just want DCT more.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 07:02 AM   #17
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep

Drives: Lemans Blue M3

DCT guys vs. DCT guys.

That's a refreshing switch form the 6mt vs DCT argument.
      06-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #18
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Send a message via AIM to gr8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Pow3r View Post
Go on the freeway doing 70 in 7th gear in manual mode (S-whatever). Press the gas pedal all the way down, like you do for launch control, and downshift manually. It should drop you straight down to 3rd. There was a thread about this a while ago, many people (including myself) seemed to be unaware of this feature.

edit: hmm maybe you just misinterpreted what he wrote...in manual mode if you press the gas and don't do anything else, it will never downshift like it does in D mode, if that's what you mean, but he never said that it did. He stated: "when you press '-'" which I think he meant as downshifting.
+1
I find this a very useful function of the DCT indeed.

Here is my summary of why the "kick down" button is a cool function:
1. In S mode you are able to ask the DCT to select for you the optimal gear (for a given car speed) in order to achieve max acceleration. As mentioned above, this happens by depressing the gas peddal fully (beyond he "kick down" point) and then clicking the downshift paddle once.

2. In D mode, and irrespective in which setting you are (1-6), you are able to ask the DCT to upshift at absolute redline. Otherwise, if for instance you are in D2 and you press the gas fully (but not beyond the kick down point), the DCT will upshift at 5,500rpm. In D3 this is 6,500rpm, in D4 7,500rpm and only D5 & D6 at redline.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #19
URBAN LEGEND
Champ
United_States
Rep

Drives: '13 M5, '13 ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
DCT guys vs. DCT guys.

That's a refreshing switch form the 6mt vs DCT argument.
The DCT guys hate everyone equally.
      06-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #20
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

One more related point: Depending how deep is this 'detent', it might already be WOT depending on your 'power' setting. The more aggressive the 'power' setting (3 to choose from), the quicker the throttle plates open with the same amount of gas pedal travel, so WOT is reached before the pedal is 'floored'.

My question now is this: Is the 'detent' a physical point on the gas pedal or electronic, meaning it's maybe set at 70% WOT (depending on 'power' setting), for instance???? Keep the discussion going folks; it's interesting, even for us 6MT drivers . Good day.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #21
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3

I have to remember to use this feature more. Its a really cool feature. By force of habit, I tend to down shift first (pull paddle 3 or 4 times) and then nail the gas.
      06-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #22
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am positively 100% sure that what I drive is an M-DCT because it does not have a clutch and a lot of Ms all over the place. How about you?
I'm sorry I completely misread you post. My bad.
Appreciate 0