BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-07-2010, 02:12 AM   #1
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
ChineseGuy's Avatar
35
Rep
1,500
Posts

 
Drives: Black E90
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: North Pole

iTrader: (2)

DCT problem

I couldn't find any solution with a brief search...

I was wondering if It'll be harmful in any way if I keep shifting +/- by myself instead of putting it on D.

Also, if I had a habit of downshifting to eliminate the frequent use of braking from light to light...is that harmful also in any way?

Help is appreciated
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 05:45 AM   #2
pumper206
80 Deep, We All Eat!!!
pumper206's Avatar
Taiwan
12
Rep
622
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 AW E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Seattle,Wa

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy View Post
I couldn't find any solution with a brief search...

I was wondering if It'll be harmful in any way if I keep shifting +/- by myself instead of putting it on D.

Also, if I had a habit of downshifting to eliminate the frequent use of braking from light to light...is that harmful also in any way?

Helmanual shiftingp is appreciated
There is absolutely nothing wrong with if u keep shifting manually. thats what its made for. Also there is nothing wrong with downshiting to compensate for braking. It is actually recommended as an alternative. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Small Yellow's Avatar
Taiwan
25
Rep
779
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Orange County, California

iTrader: (0)

Oh wow... ^^ is correct.. but wow..
__________________
BMW ///M3 Coupe
Completed November 16, 2009
Received December 29,2009
BMW //M Coupe
November 4, 2013
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
24
Rep
1,085
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Deutschland KreisTrier auf Autobahn 64 & Tucson AZ

iTrader: (1)

You cant hurt this transmission driving in manual mode during city driving
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
F360C
Captain
United_States
20
Rep
942
Posts

 
Drives: M Shoe
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jersey

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy View Post
I couldn't find any solution with a brief search...

I was wondering if It'll be harmful in any way if I keep shifting +/- by myself instead of putting it on D.

Also, if I had a habit of downshifting to eliminate the frequent use of braking from light to light...is that harmful also in any way?

Help is appreciated
Are you serious or is this supposed to be a joke?
__________________

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,948
Posts

 
Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy View Post
I couldn't find any solution with a brief search...

I was wondering if It'll be harmful in any way if I keep shifting +/- by myself instead of putting it on D.

Also, if I had a habit of downshifting to eliminate the frequent use of braking from light to light...is that harmful also in any way?

Help is appreciated
Well the first part is pretty hilarious...

It's very strange that you bought a DCT equipped car...without even knowing how it's supposed to work.

What exactly did you think DCT was anyway? (before you bought the car)

It can operate in either mode MANUAL or AUTOMATIC (where you don't have to shift). Are you saying the dealer or salesman never told you this? That is very odd indeed since this transmission is one of the key selling points of the M3. The fact that no one explained how your transmission works is a little troubling. I wonder what else they forget to tell you...

Anyway, the DCT can work in either the S or D modes, and it won't hurt the motor if you switch back and forth between the two modes.

As for the second item (highlighted in bold text), my opinion is that you should use a $20,000 state of the art motorsport derived engine to actually save your brakes. If you are making a normal downshift, then fine, but I'm not going to put additional stress on the my engine,my DCT transmission, my driveshaft, and my differential to save a little wear and tear on my brake pads and rotors. That's not a very smart trade-off in my opinion. Now will it damage your engine? Not likely, but it will increase the wear and stress on the drive-train components so personally, I wouldn't use that method of slowing my car down. The M3 comes with pretty decent brakes from the factory so I'll just uses those to slow down or stop the car when needed.

I just don't see a good reason to use "engine braking" on a regular basis (that may cause a problem down the line) to slow the car down.

In the interest of full disclosure...I actually experimented with the engine braking technique in my E36 & E46 M3's (briefly), but in both cases, I decided this method was simply not worth the potential risk the drive-train components over time.

So I have more or less abandoned any desire to employ this with any of my cars going forward. I would advise you to do the same, especially if you intend to keep this car for several years. (including after the warranty expires)
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #7
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
ChineseGuy's Avatar
35
Rep
1,500
Posts

 
Drives: Black E90
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: North Pole

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Well the first part is pretty hilarious...

It's very strange that you bought a DCT equipped car...without even knowing how it's supposed to work.

What exactly did you think DCT was anyway? (before you bought the car)

It can operate in either mode MANUAL or AUTOMATIC (where you don't have to shift). Are you saying the dealer or salesman never told you this? That is very odd indeed since this transmission is one of the key selling points of the M3. The fact that no one explained how your transmission works is a little troubling. I wonder what else they forget to tell you...

Anyway, the DCT can work in either the S or D modes, and it won't hurt the motor if you switch back and forth between the two modes.

As for the second item (highlighted in bold text), my opinion is that you should use a $20,000 state of the art motorsport derived engine to actually save your brakes. If you are making a normal downshift, then fine, but I'm not going to put additional stress on the my engine,my DCT transmission, my driveshaft, and my differential to save a little wear and tear on my brake pads and rotors. That's not a very smart trade-off in my opinion. Now will it damage your engine? Not likely, but it will increase the wear and stress on the drive-train components so personally, I wouldn't use that method of slowing my car down. The M3 comes with pretty decent brakes from the factory so I'll just uses those to slow down or stop the car when needed.

I just don't see a good reason to use "engine braking" on a regular basis (that may cause a problem down the line) to slow the car down.

In the interest of full disclosure...I actually experimented with the engine braking technique in my E36 & E46 M3's (briefly), but in both cases, I decided this method was simply not worth the potential risk the drive-train components over time.

So I have more or less abandoned any desire to employ this with any of my cars going forward. I would advise you to do the same, especially if you intend to keep this car for several years. (including after the warranty expires)
I guess a better term here would be "unhealthy" instead of harmful.

My main concern was the engine braking part, in which you weren't too sure if it's "healthy or not" also, so I wouldn't conclude my post being ridiculous or anything.

I actually know how to operate the DCT, I was just asking if it would be harmful or, in this case, "unhealthy" to frequently engine braking instead of stepping on the brakes.

The reason why I'm not sure is the manual actually encourages engine braking, but in my traditional way of think, it's somehow unhealthy to the tranny or the engine in the long term, and I thought I would get someone who knows the answer to answer this thread.

My thought was it's similar to the launch control function, where it's totally safe to perform such actions, but when you do it frequently it becomes a problem.

Either I was unclear about my question or anything, further help is appreciated...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #8
hamad
Private First Class
2
Rep
150
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe DCT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: florida

iTrader: (0)

if u hit hard break it down shift by it self
__________________
2008 M3 number 2 in florida with the DCT, Tubi exhaust loud
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #9
anucci
Private
0
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: e60 M5
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: CT, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy View Post
I guess a better term here would be "unhealthy" instead of harmful.

My main concern was the engine braking part, in which you weren't too sure if it's "healthy or not" also, so I wouldn't conclude my post being ridiculous or anything.

I actually know how to operate the DCT, I was just asking if it would be harmful or, in this case, "unhealthy" to frequently engine braking instead of stepping on the brakes.

The reason why I'm not sure is the manual actually encourages engine braking, but in my traditional way of think, it's somehow unhealthy to the tranny or the engine in the long term, and I thought I would get someone who knows the answer to answer this thread.

My thought was it's similar to the launch control function, where it's totally safe to perform such actions, but when you do it frequently it becomes a problem.

Either I was unclear about my question or anything, further help is appreciated...
LBM is spot-on correct. You should never use engine braking to slow the car. That's what brake pads are for.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
DC5ITR88
Private First Class
2
Rep
117
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy View Post
I couldn't find any solution with a brief search...

I was wondering if It'll be harmful in any way if I keep shifting +/- by myself instead of putting it on D.

Also, if I had a habit of downshifting to eliminate the frequent use of braking from light to light...is that harmful also in any way?

Help is appreciated
downshifting to eliminate frequent use of braking would prob cause u to use more gas if ur not downshifting appropriately which would cause higher rpms...if anything i would worry more about ur tranny and downshifting appropriately but again i dont kno much about the dct software and if there is a fools proof way of downshifting at wrong periods...i think audi's have that and if u wanted to downshift at wrong times the software keeps u from going down a gear to prevent damage...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #11
Bluechipper
Banned
6
Rep
256
Posts

 
Drives: 09 M3 Vert
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anucci View Post
LBM is spot-on correct. You should never use engine braking to slow the car. That's what brake pads are for.
+1

LeMans is dead on correct. Unnecessary to put that stress on the drivetrain.

Use your brakes.

Last edited by Bluechipper; 02-19-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 02:32 AM   #12
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
///M Rakete's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
857
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

I will often downshift to 3rd as I approach a stop or signal but not lower unless I perceive traffic is going to start moving again and I'm slow enough to warrant. Otherwise I'll let the DCT downshift itself to 2 or 1 near or at zero velocity. This is in S mode. In mild driving or traffic or during the first few minutes to warm up I'll drive it in D mode and let it do its thing.
__________________
2010 BMW M3 Coupe M-DCT w/Tech-EDC, BMW M Performance Exhaust, BPM: Stage I / Euro MDM / DCT / Steering, Space Gray / Fox Red Extended, and a Trunk Monkey known as "Der Stig", plus the daily driver...
2011 BMW 135i M Sport DCT, w/BMW Performance Power Kit, Exhaust, and Brake Rotors, Space Gray / Coral Red, known as "Stiggie" with an outlaw F20 "M135i" badge.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST