BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Steve Thomas BMW

06-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #23
EDK99
Captain

Drives: 07 E85 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
"your boy" has been in office for all of 5 months. He's accomplished all of his legislative goals to date so I think he's done pretty well so far.
Yikes!!!! Multi-Trillion dollar debt and bankrupting America was his legislative goal!
      06-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #24
nostrum09
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E90 325i

In college, and even for a short while after graduating, I was a liberal, or at the minimum, idealistic. It sounded great to be able to want to help everyone and to make things "fair"...

Then I got a job, bought a house, and started seeing the actual effects of fiscal and social policies on my bottom line and my quality of life. While I'm still socially more on the liberal side, I'm much much more fiscally conservative, so I guess I'm a libertarian.

Much of what Obama is doing scares me, for many of the reasons already pointed out (and the OP is true -- for as much as I may have disagreed with a lot of what GW did, had he also made the gaffes that Obama has, he would have been crucified in the media and on the left. Obama has gotten a pass from the left-wing media, it seems). Unfortunately, I have no faith in the Republican party either, or for that matter, in the current political system. Politicians are more interested in battling each other for power and are not nearly as concerned for the well-being of the nation or its citizens. It's a shame that what I view as the ideal political philosophy for the nation as a whole (Libertarianism -- individual responsibility coupled with smaller government) is overshadowed by the two big parties who can each count on certain demographics for continued support, based on perhaps one or two issues that really matter to each of the various groups, instead of focusing on what is best for everyone.
nostrum09 is offline   United_States
      06-22-2009, 05:41 PM   #25
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EK_335i View Post
Yikes!!!! Multi-Trillion dollar debt and bankrupting America was his legislative goal!
Actually that was GW's goal. Obama is just finnishing the job

Where the heck have you guys been for the last 8 years???
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
      06-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #26
Septro
Banned

Drives: '08 e90 335xi

Quote:

9.11, Two wars, the end of the dot.bomb boom, Enron, WorlCom, Global
Crossing and yet still none of that equals 9trillion dollars of debt forecast against Obamas still yet growing bundle of initiatives.

Oh and not a dam thing happened on GW's watch for terrorist/nation attacks on our country since we took the fight to their asses for 7 years.

Nevermind the fact that North Korea is technically at war with us since they disregarded the Armistice and are threatening real war if we board their ship and are rumored to launch a missile at Hawaii come July 4th. Right at the same time he decided to cut 19 missile defense deployments in Alaska which would directly mitigate this kind of threat. Maybe now Obama's neophyte handling of foreign policy is hitting your liberal asses like a hard brick.

Nevermind the fact that Iran is in the throes of an actual revolution and our amateur president is sitting idly by because he wants to hedge his bets against democracy and more with dictatorships so he can still attempt his negotiation with the corrupt Iranian regime once they quell the uprising. COWARDICE is what that is called.

The best was the tired-ass line from the campaign that "John McCain would go to the gates of hell to get Bin Laden but won't even go to the cave he lives in to capture him.." - I guess talking tough about capturing terrorist is harder than actually doing it. Maybe he should keep trying to kiss Pakistan's ass to see if they'll let put troops in their country to go into that 'cave'.

C-O-W-A-R-D with a teleprompter is all he is.

Oh wait, he said unemployment won't go past 8% if you pass his Spendulus bill.. fuck so much for that estimate.
      06-23-2009, 08:11 AM   #27
bolinp78
G35 convertee

Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:

Keeeep rationalizing, and someday it might make sense. I like that approach.
      06-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #28
johnnymu
Warranty Killer

Drives: Nike shoe

Not a Bush fan but 4-8 years from now history will show the American people will appreciate him more.

johnnymu is offline   Taiwan
      06-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #29
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymu View Post
Not a Bush fan but 4-8 years from now history will show the American people will appreciate him more.
Sure, he has nowhere to go but up in the polls. I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong (and probably even if I'm right) but I remember reading that he scored the lowest presidential approval numbers in the history of the poll.
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
      06-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #30
TurboFan
Ski bum

Drives: sideways

yeah, he was rated lowest by the same dumbasses that voted Obama into office. Go figure.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
      06-23-2009, 07:30 PM   #31
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
yeah, he was rated lowest by the same dumbasses that voted Obama into office. Go figure.
Yeah, a lot of those dumbasses were the same dumbasses who voted GW into office just 4 years earlier. Go figure.
      06-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #32
lib
Major

Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Sure, he has nowhere to go but up in the polls. I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong (and probably even if I'm right) but I remember reading that he scored the lowest presidential approval numbers in the history of the poll.
Just to be a pain in the ass.... Which one of the 10-100's of thousands of polls from thousands of sources over those 8 years are you talking about?

(It could be all of them for all I know, I'm not going to take the time to look )
      06-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #33
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
Just to be a pain in the ass.... Which one of the 10-100's of thousands of polls from thousands of sources over those 8 years are you talking about?

(It could be all of them for all I know, I'm not going to take the time to look )
Pick one. I'm pretty sure he was polling under 30% approval in all the reputable polls when he left office.
      06-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #34
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post

Okay I found it and I stand corrected. GW didn't have the lowest approval rating of any president in history. Truman and Nixon polled lower, but not by much. GW's lowest approval rating was 28%, Nixon's was 24% and Truman's was 22%

GW does get the honors for the highest disaproval numbers in history. 71% of Americans disapproved of the job he was doing last year at this time.

WASHINGTON DC (CNN) -- A new poll suggests that President Bush is the most unpopular president in modern American history.

A CNN/Opinion Research Corp. survey released Thursday indicates that 71 percent of the American public disapprove of how Bush is handling his job as president.

"No president has ever had a higher disapproval rating in any CNN or Gallup Poll; in fact, this is the first time that any president's disapproval rating has cracked the 70 percent mark," said Keating Holland, CNN's polling director.

"Bush's approval rating, which stands at 28 percent in our new poll, remains better than the all-time lows set by Harry Truman and Richard Nixon [22 percent and 24 percent, respectively], but even those two presidents never got a disapproval rating in the 70s," Holland said. "The previous all-time record in CNN or Gallup polling was set by Truman, 67 percent disapproval in January 1952."

While Gallup polling goes back to the 1930s, it wasn't until the Truman years that they began surveying monthly approval ratings.

CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider adds, "He is more unpopular than Richard Nixon was just before he resigned from the presidency in August 1974."

President Nixon's disapproval rating in August 1974 stood at 66 percent

I'm sure those from the pissed off party of NO will quickly rush in and argue that CNN's polling is biased but there it is.
      06-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #35
TurboFan
Ski bum

as an opponent of the party of SPEND, I'll say you can construct a poll to say anything you want. Stats lie, and liars use statistics.

06-24-2009, 12:29 AM   #36
johnnymu
Warranty Killer

Drives: Nike shoe

If we go by your logic what are polls saying about our situation now? Obama is down at his lowest rating at -15% that is if you go by poll, than he's failing.

johnnymu is offline   Taiwan
      06-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #37
sayemthree
Brigadier General

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
as an opponent of the party of SPEND, I'll say you can construct a poll to say anything you want. Stats lie, and liars use statistics.

remember - we have TWO parties....

Spend and Spend-More
      07-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #38
TurboFan
Ski bum

Which party is proposing to double in 12 months a national debt that took over 40 years to accumulate?

10-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #39
sayemthree
Brigadier General

Drives: bmw

was Bushie the worst prez evar!?

If George Bush was an idiot......

If George W. Bush had been the first President to need a teleprompter installed to be able to get through a press conference, would you have laughed and said this is more proof of how he inept he is on his own and is really controlled by smarter men behind the scenes?

If George W. Bush had spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to take Laura Bush to a play in NYC, would you have approved?

If George W. Bush had reduced your retirement plan's holdings of GM stock by 90% and given the unions a majority stake in GM, would you have approved?

If George W. Bush had made a joke at the expense of the Special Olympics, would you have approved?

If George W. Bush had given Gordon Brown a set of inexpensive and incorrectly formatted DVDs, when Gordon Brown had given him a thoughtful and historically significant gift, would you have approved?

If George W. Bush had given the Queen of England an iPod containing videos of his speeches, would you have thought this embarrassingly narcissistic and tacky?

If George W. Bush had bowed to the King of Saudi Arabia , would you have approved?

If George W. Bush had visited Austria and made reference to the non-existent "Austrian language," would you have brushed it off as a minor slip?

If George W. Bush had filled his cabinet and circle of advisers with people who cannot seem to keep current in their income taxes, would you have approved?

If George W. Bush had been so Spanish illiterate as to refer to "Cinco de Cuatro" in front of the Mexican ambassador when it was the 5th of May (Cinco de Mayo), and continued to flub it when he tried again, would you have winced in embarrassment?

If George W. Bush had mis-spelled the word "advice" would you have hammered him for it for years like Dan Quayle and potatoe as proof of what a dunce he is?

MY FAVORITE:
If George W. Bush had burned 9,000 gallons of jet fuel to go plant a single tree on Earth Day, would you have concluded he's a hypocrite?

If George W. Bush's administration had okayed Air Force One flying low over millions of people followed by a jet fighter in downtown Manhattan causing widespread panic, would you have wondered whether they actually get what happened on 9-11?

If George W. Bush had failed to send relief aid to flood victims throughout the Midwest with more people killed or made homeless than in New Orleans , would you want it made into a major ongoing political issue with claims of racism and incompetence?

If George W. Bush had ordered the firing of the CEO of a major corporation, even though he had no constitutional authority to do so, would you have approved?

If George W Bush had proposed to double the national debt, which had taken more than two centuries to accumulate, in one year, would you have approved?

If George W. Bush had then proposed to double the debt again within 10 years, would you have approved?
      10-03-2009, 03:24 PM   #40
DaveO
Private First Class

Drives: 3 BMWs

Send a message via AIM to DaveO
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
If George Bush was an idiot......

If George W. Bush had been the first President to need a teleprompter installed to be able to get through a press conference, would you have laughed and said this is more proof of how he inept he is on his own and is really controlled by smarter men behind the scenes?
Every President uses a teleprompter in speechs, as do Conan, Leno and many people who have to speak infront of an audience. I doubt you have ever given a speech infront of an audience, but in the off chance that you have (I'm sure you haven't) then you might have had note cards in front of you.

Quote:
If George W. Bush had spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to take Laura Bush to a play in NYC, would you have approved?
Can someone taly the cost to our country when President Bush decided the right thing for a new president to do was to relax at his ranch for the first 9 months of his presidency?

Quote:
If George W. Bush had reduced your retirement plan's holdings of GM stock by 90% and given the unions a majority stake in GM, would you have approved?
If your entire retirement money was in GM stock, then words cannot describe how stupid you are. I think you would have been smarter to bet it all on black in LV. President Bush oversaw the complete collapse of real estate in this country, far more costly then the collapse of GM (which by the way is unrelated to the actions of the president-- I would think anyone on a car forum would know that).

Quote:
If George W. Bush had made a joke at the expense of the Special Olympics, would you have approved?
I don't even know where to begin with this one, Bush was probably the single president known for making stupid remarks. I was thinking of putting one in here, but I don't think thats even fair. If you don't know that President Bush makes stupid comments all the time, then I feel bad for you.

Quote:
If George W. Bush had given Gordon Brown a set of inexpensive and incorrectly formatted DVDs, when Gordon Brown had given him a thoughtful and historically significant gift, would you have approved?
Incorrectly formated DVDs?! MAJOR POLITICAL PROBLEM! Achtung. We should prepare for war. I'm sorry, don't you think you are stretching now? I can't you actually think giving someone incorrectly formatted DVDs is some kind of problem... Hows this for a problem, ignoring and not responding to the largest natural disaster in recent American history resulting in countless deaths. Yea that is a problem, not incorrectly formatted DVDs. Does anyone wonder why everyone on this forum thinks of you as a nutjob.

Quote:
If George W. Bush had given the Queen of England an iPod containing videos of his speeches, would you have thought this embarrassingly narcissistic and tacky?
You are right. Believing that God chose you to be President isn't narcissitic at all.

Quote:
If George W. Bush had bowed to the King of Saudi Arabia , would you have approved?
I would rather bow to the King od Saudi Arabia then kiss him and hold his hand. Thats just the way I swing.

Quote:
If George W. Bush had visited Austria and made reference to the non-existent "Austrian language," would you have brushed it off as a minor slip?
Just google "Bush quotes"

Quote:
If George W. Bush had filled his cabinet and circle of advisers with people who cannot seem to keep current in their income taxes, would you have approved?
You're right, Obama is responsible for his Cabinet member's not paying their taxes.... I thought we lived in the United States where everyone was responsible for their own individual taxes.

Quote:
If George W. Bush had been so Spanish illiterate as to refer to "Cinco de Cuatro" in front of the Mexican ambassador when it was the 5th of May (Cinco de Mayo), and continued to flub it when he tried again, would you have winced in embarrassment?
Google Bush quotes....

Quote:
If George W. Bush had mis-spelled the word "advice" would you have hammered him for it for years like Dan Quayle and potatoe as proof of what a dunce he is?
Google Bush quotes....

I've seen these lists before, but I think you should vet your list a little bit more, its kind of laughable in that President Bush has done worse on every 'point' you are trying to make. Good attempt, but try again. Actually, no, bad attempt.
      10-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #41
quagmire
I am Gundam

Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD

Quote:

Which is inaccurate. The union has a 10% stock in the new GM which is actually bad for them and they can't wait to offload it. Because if they do something that is bad for GM, they will be affected by it. Plus, the money they will get from selling it goes into their VEBA fund( which is the UAW's retirement money deal).

If you're going to bash Obama, at least try to be accurate.........
      10-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #42
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Well here is one historian's perspective on how George W. Bush was the worst president in US history.

GWB Worst Pres in US History

10-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #43
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie

Drives: 2010 AW 335d

We all know Bush made a lot of stupid comments and mispronunciations. The OP seems to merely point out the hypocrisy of those who bashed President Bush endlessly when he did so, and yet give President Obama a free pass when he makes similar, embarrassing gaffes.
      10-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #44
southlight
Moderator / European Editor

Drives: BMW

I merged the related threads.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP