BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

GTB Performance

06-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #45
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted335 View Post
how does the z06 do against the tweaked tt's?...

Ya my co-workers tt is so extremely fast, and i dont think hes b/s ing when he says 640hp hes very knowledgable about porsche's. I think hes even on 6speed.

From what he said he got the tuning for 1200 dollars, cat off for 200 bucks, and the exhaust for 3000 bux(i dont know what kind ill ask). He says exhaust really doesnt make that much of a difference though. I also forgot to add that he has an air filter.
when both were stock I use to put about 6-8 car lengths on him up to about 150, but have not run since both of us have modded, but I don't think I'll fair well against him unless he fries another clutch during the pull, he claims to be pushing about 750 hp now, have not seen any dyno sheets but, by the seat of the pants when in his car, it feels about accurate. I think he is going with a stage 4 clutch to cope with the HP, not sure how it's going to drive after that.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #46
CSanto
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Good series of vids. I dunno about destroy a 997tt but it would prob beat one. I still want to see a video of it though.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #47
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HREM3 View Post
Good series of vids. I dunno about destroy a 997tt but it would prob beat one. I still want to see a video of it though.
Thanks Bro, "destroy" maybe a strong word, lol, good point, but I do think based on what I've seen in many many comparo's, that the Gpowered car would easily walk a STOCK 997tt.

If the 997tt is modded different story of course!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #48
Orange fever
Lieutenant Colonel
Thailand
Rep

Drives: E46M,E90M,X5M,135I

good reading =( . )_( - )=

X5M E70 Black Sapphire Metallic,VF Engineering Hex Flash Software,Vorsteiner-FrontSpoiler/RearDiffuser
2012 135i/E82 N55 LeMans Blue ///M-SPORT
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 02:27 AM   #49
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

Send a message via AIM to Jonmartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HREM3 View Post
That would be a definite lol
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #50
CSanto
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #51
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep

Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
LOL are you kidding ?

997 TT is 161,700 canadian starting
M3 is 71,000 starting plus add 20k for a SC and install (ESS is said to come out at 11,500 plus 12 hours labor so thats well under 20k) and your at 91k.
Plus clutch
Plus headers
Plus exhaust
Plus brakes
Plus suspension
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #52
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: C6 ZO6

drove the DCT, this weekend for about an hour total time, very impressed with the DCT, no hiccups encountered, and I was always on boil. I'm curious how that DCT would hold up with force induction.

and really wished the ZO6 came with a trans like that. I'd give up my manual in a heartbeat.

only thing that could be improved is the so called launch control.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #53
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Plus clutch
Plus headers
Plus exhaust
Plus brakes
Plus suspension

WHy would I need headers? So far as I know the stock headers are so good there are no aftermarket headers that can get more than 5hp more and cost 5k so why change them?

Same with the exhaust... ESS dyno had it at 560 WHP with just the supercharger and ECU. Exhaust is up to you and not needed to get the 560 whp.

Brakes... Ill agree with you there.

Suspension... debatable ... depends on if you will be tracking more than street driving.

Also... you do realize that the 997 TT would also need an exhaust and if your tracking it too much almost ANY mass produced street car (ok exception being the GT3 since its made to be track driven) would need upgraded brakes of some kind .

I dont agree with you on all the mods your talking about on a 6MT. DCT would need a clutch but not the 6MT from whats been said.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 06:06 PM   #54
vamosvanos
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogalthorpe View Post
Keep the M3, I traded in my 997 TT Cab for an M3 E92 and couldn't be happier. My 997 was chipped and even stock was much faster than the M but the M is amazing. The M has much more interior goods and is so much more comfortable to drive. Supercharge your M3 and save your money, the M3 is amazing. I believe there was also a road and track or car and driver article where they compared the M3 vs the Porsche and the GT-R and they enjoyed the BMW more also.
+1. I used to own a 6GT2, 7GT3 & GTR. Sometimes it's not about how fast one can go but rather how much enjoyable one's ride is taking into consideration a lot of factors (DD usability, build quality, good rear seats, aural experience...etc).
      07-01-2009, 06:22 AM   #55
snoopy
Private
Rep

Drives: 350z touring

now THIS IS HOW A TUNED VS. STOCK THREAD SHOULD BE. Comparing both side of the cars completely aware that:

a) this is a TUNED m3 probably an m3 at its full potential vs. stock cars, if these pcars and corvettes were tuned it'd be different

b) taking into consideration reliability/price, even covering tuning company history

c) modesty through it all because everyone realizes there are no hard facts to base anything off of, no m3 stomping ground fan boy stuff even though its an m3 forum.

Rarely see a mature comparo thread, someone should make this a sticky as an example. Nice to see a drama free, ego free comparo after all the 335i vs. m3 threads.

just thought id point that out carry on lol
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 06:46 AM   #56
snoopy
Private
Rep

Drives: 350z touring

i have no experience with m's but i would think traction is a huge issue.

In my friends z's g's and what not, pushing 550+ hp is definitely too much for what the z is designed/structured for. Its great to brag about having 550 hp but 1st gear is completely useless as they just sit there turning whatever tread they have left into smoke and vapor. The only way they can actually go race pace is either to cut back and only use half - 3/4 throttle which basically means they don't use all the power. I remember a member named nitrouz over on the zboards who had an 800hp z and was desperately trying to find the grippiest race tires, the kind that wont work if the sprinklers turned on and drizzled on the ground a little. Even with ones that looked like drag tires, he came back and said first gear was completely useless.

Where as in a pcar slam the throttle down and it roars ahead with much less drama, 1st gear is completely usable, and no easing of the throttle is necessary. I dont know how much the m3 can handle but i think its a bit unfair to think 600hp is the same in a m3 as it is in a porsche. After seeing videos of the gpower m3 sliding around, half of me wants to say its just a really good driver and of course hes sliding on purpose, but i cant help noticing it seems much to easy, almost as if all the m wants to do is break traction.

Again no m experience just my thoughts, nobody really wants to admit it amongst my friends but its pretty obvious all cars have their limits, not in terms of how much the engine is capable of generating, but how much its able to use. 550+ is definitely over what a g/z was designed to cope with, how much can the m hold?

Unless you guys are talking about racing from say a 3rd gear roll then just ignore everything i said
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 11:21 AM   #57
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

In my friends z's g's and what not, pushing 550+ hp is definitely too much for what the z is designed/structured for. Its great to brag about having 550 hp but 1st gear is completely useless as they just sit there turning whatever tread they have left into smoke and vapor. The only way they can actually go race pace is either to cut back and only use half - 3/4 throttle which basically means they don't use all the power. I remember a member named nitrouz over on the zboards who had an 800hp z and was desperately trying to find the grippiest race tires, the kind that wont work if the sprinklers turned on and drizzled on the ground a little. Even with ones that looked like drag tires, he came back and said first gear was completely useless.

Where as in a pcar slam the throttle down and it roars ahead with much less drama, 1st gear is completely usable, and no easing of the throttle is necessary. I dont know how much the m3 can handle but i think its a bit unfair to think 600hp is the same in a m3 as it is in a porsche. After seeing videos of the gpower m3 sliding around, half of me wants to say its just a really good driver and of course hes sliding on purpose, but i cant help noticing it seems much to easy, almost as if all the m wants to do is break traction.

Again no m experience just my thoughts, nobody really wants to admit it amongst my friends but its pretty obvious all cars have their limits, not in terms of how much the engine is capable of generating, but how much its able to use. 550+ is definitely over what a g/z was designed to cope with, how much can the m hold?

Unless you guys are talking about racing from say a 3rd gear roll then just ignore everything i said
See discussion on this here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272524
      07-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #58
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

You make a good point, but one of the factors that influences power handling is weight, an the M3 is heavier than the GT3 and a tad heavier than the tt. Of course, differential, transmission ratios, weight distribution and rubber make a huge difference as well. As far as differential goes, the M has an excellent differential and can fit 305 rubber in the rear. Transmission may require some ratio modifications depending on how fast torque comes on. So, it can easily handle similar power to a 911. Now, I did see a SC M3 vid where what you say is certainly very evident as the torque comes on just to quickly and overwhelms the tires. SCed engines usually bring torque on quicker than turbos but do not suffer from lag as does the tt. Anyway, I did see a vid of an SCed M that IMO was way too jittery and difficult to control. But to each his own. This is perhaps one of the added advantages of sticking with NA engines like in the GT3, but it is certainly more challenging/expensive to extract further power.

Finally, at higher speeds, the M, Porsche, AMG and whatever have absolutely no issue with handling HUGE power and this is where that extra power makes a HUGE difference. Say for example when overtaking on a road from 140kph and so on. I have for instance an 800 plus hp costume made AMG and wow, have a blow soooo many exotics on the highway.
      07-06-2009, 08:41 AM   #59
MikeG_C63_AMG
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2009 Eurocharged C63 AMG

I don't want to violate any forums rules, but there is a video of a G-Power M3 up against a Evosport development car C63 (highly modded all bolt ons). You guys will be surprised with the results. Youtube and MBworld have the video.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #60
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG_C63_AMG View Post
I don't want to violate any forums rules, but there is a video of a G-Power M3 up against a Evosport development car C63 (highly modded all bolt ons). You guys will be surprised with the results. Youtube and MBworld have the video.
I'm not too surprised at those results actually the C63 is making more power then the M3 by about 40whp. Due to the G-power car in the video not having the updated blower and intake system. Car isn't breathing right. Once I get my car back I'll meet up with that C63 results will be much different trust me.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 02:06 PM   #61
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmartin View Post
I'm not too surprised at those results actually the C63 is making more power then the M3 by about 40whp. Due to the G-power car in the video not having the updated blower and intake system. Car isn't breathing right. Once I get my car back I'll meet up with that C63 results will be much different trust me.
Hard to believe any 4.0L S65 blown engine will produce more power than an equivalently blown 6.2L AMG engine. Its just simple physics. The AMG engine has much, much more displacement, is an equivalently strong motor (as per forged internals etc...) and runs at a slightly lower compression (that may acutally allow for slightly more boost than the S65). So that again, it is likely that in any equivalently blown and cooled engine, the higher displacement will produce more power.
      07-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #62
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Hard to believe any 4.0L S65 blown engine will produce more power than an equivalently blown 6.2L AMG engine. Its just simple physics. The AMG engine has much, much more displacement, is an equivalently strong motor (as per forged internals etc...) and runs at a slightly lower compression (that may acutally allow for slightly more boost than the S65). So that again, it is likely that in any equivalently blown and cooled engine, the higher displacement will produce more power.
Thanks Captain obvious I never said anything about a Blown 6.2L the Car I was talking about was NA. I don't think anyone is making FI for the 6.2L I've never heard anything about it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 04:37 PM   #63
MikeG_C63_AMG
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well the owner of the C63 on the MB boards said his car dynoed at 468 rwhp. How come you need a upgraded blower and intake system? Was the original part defective or are you upgrading to a higher rated FI system? I wouldn't be surprised if a FI M3 will take that C63 especially one pushing 600 bhp. Still, I'm sure there are many on this forum would have envisioned different results between that encounter. Not to mention the fact that the C63 is still NA putting out that much power.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #64
MikeG_C63_AMG
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Captain obvious I never said anything about a Blown 6.2L the Car I was talking about was NA. I don't think anyone is making FI for the 6.2L I've never heard anything about it anyway.
Kleemann and Brabus both, very well respected MB tuners have developed turbo charged variants of the M156 6.2L engine. ML63K produces 800hp. Quick Google search will give you a few articles. Again though the costs I'm sure for this upgrade is probably astronomical.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #65
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG_C63_AMG View Post
Well the owner of the C63 on the MB boards said his car dynoed at 468 rwhp. How come you need a upgraded blower and intake system? Was the original part defective or are you upgrading to a higher rated FI system? I wouldn't be surprised if a FI M3 will take that C63 especially one pushing 600 bhp. Still, I'm sure there are many on this forum would have envisioned different results between that encounter. Not to mention the fact that the C63 is still NA putting out that much power.
I dont need an upgrade the other g-power car in the video needs one he only has psudeo "Prototype" stuff and out dated blower and Intake that was never meant to be the permanent piece only a hold over until the Carbon parts came in. I have the Newer stuff but at the momement the car is being upgraded to a higher rated system. Basically what I'm saying is if he had the parts I just mentioned results would be much different thats all. That C63 is fast as hell tho.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 08:09 AM   #66
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
OK genius, then you are retarded if you think a blown M3 will not kick the crap out of an 63.