BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #67
TRZ06
Captain
TRZ06's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
652
Posts

Drives: 08' IB E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Plus the obvious treadwear numbers. 220 vs 180
__________________
11' Cyber Gray Corvette Grand Sport
PREVIOUS:
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech. & Premium Package
07' 335i E90: KWV2, H&R Sways, SSTT
01' & 04' Corvette Z06
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 11:54 PM   #68
ebohon
Second Lieutenant
ebohon's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
254
Posts

Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe, 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Plus the obvious treadwear numbers. 220 vs 180
Got it. I just did some research on-line at Michelin.com and Bridstone.com and found the ratings you mentioned above. Thanks! There is also an AA for the PS2s vs. A for the R-11 on traction. Maybe the $50 lower cost of the R-11 is not worth it on the long run. I just need to keep off the MDM and let the trac control do its job LOL so I don't go through tires every six months. Great info guys, thanks. Ed.
__________________
2009 M3 : 6MT : Carbon : Silverstone : Fox Red Novilo : Aluminum Trim : Tech Package : iPod :
MODS: Performance Spoiler: Clear Reflectors : H&Rs : Escort 9500ix hardwired : Tint : Macht Schnell Filter : RPI Scoops : Rogue Pulley : Fabspeed resonated x-pipe with Remus Race : ESS Tune: TVinMotion
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 12:12 AM   #69
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
KonigsTiger's Avatar
68
Rep
4,397
Posts

Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

iTrader: (0)

Why would we not consider the Pirelli Corsa System (soon to be replaced by the Pirelli Triumfo) or Micheline Pilot Sport Cups. Theser are amazing tires, granted that they are shit on wet. Porsche GT3 RS has the Pirellis stock.
__________________
==================================================
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 03:15 AM   #70
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
238
Rep
10,302
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Plus the obvious treadwear numbers. 220 vs 180
Wow, I really thought everyone knew that you can not compare tread wear numbers across different manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 03:39 AM   #71
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
118
Rep
8,034
Posts

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Why would we not consider the Pirelli Corsa System (soon to be replaced by the Pirelli Triumfo) or Micheline Pilot Sport Cups. Theser are amazing tires, granted that they are shit on wet. Porsche GT3 RS has the Pirellis stock.
Unless they have significant tread left (which pretty much means brand new for this tire), PSC+ should not be driven at speed in the rain. Apart from that, and if you don't mind them not lasting, they are great tires.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 03:58 AM   #72
MrHarris
yodog
MrHarris's Avatar
United_States
83
Rep
5,036
Posts

Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
What's everyone's opinion on 285's in the rear, with 245's in the front? Would it cause too much understeer?
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #73
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
KonigsTiger's Avatar
68
Rep
4,397
Posts

Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Unless they have significant tread left (which pretty much means brand new for this tire), PSC+ should not be driven at speed in the rain. Apart from that, and if you don't mind them not lasting, they are great tires.
Hmmm, I know they are crap in the rain, but what do you consider not driving in the rain at speed? I am actually sticking with Sport Cups for my M3 Stroker for a couple of reasons, one, I us the car very, very rarely so that tires should last me at least a year since I only put maybe 2,000 miles on it and second, dry performance is supposed to be spectacular. Let me know your thoughts please.
__________________
==================================================
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #74
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
118
Rep
8,034
Posts

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Hmmm, I know they are crap in the rain, but what do you consider not driving in the rain at speed? I am actually sticking with Sport Cups for my M3 Stroker for a couple of reasons, one, I us the car very, very rarely so that tires should last me at least a year since I only put maybe 2,000 miles on it and second, dry performance is supposed to be spectacular. Let me know your thoughts please.
I drove on PSC+s with about 3/32" tread left (they come with 6/32") on the track, and the car was hydroplaning severely under braking. Not a good feeling at all. Then I drove on the highway at 70 mph with them the next day when it rained, and it was hydroplaning then as well. I suspect they would have done much better with full tread.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #75
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
United Kingdom
106
Rep
3,089
Posts

Drives: E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Do the PS cups for the E46 CSL come in sizes suitable for the E9x M3? They are a gripier tyre than the PSC+ tyres.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #76
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
118
Rep
8,034
Posts

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Do the PS cups for the E46 CSL come in sizes suitable for the E9x M3? They are a gripier tyre than the PSC+ tyres.
Not really unless you are willing to go for a 235/265 setup on the stock wheels.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...irePageLocQty=
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #77
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
32
Rep
941
Posts

Drives: 740i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Bend, IN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
The biggest problem with the PS2 IMO is the price. 285/35/19 PS2 is $436 vs $288 for the RE-11.

Ben: Are the weights correct that the RE-11 in this size range is a full 4 lb heavier than the PS2? That is over 15% which seems really like a lot.
The weights are correct. The RE-11 are heavier. 4lb is on the higher end of what is expected as far as weight variation in one size, but keep in mind that Michelins are usually lighter than Bridgestones in general, and that an Extreme Performance tire is usually heavier than a max performance, because it has additional reinforcement in the sidewall. We do see this much variation between tires in the same size on a regular basis, and sometimes even more than 4lbs.

Tires are so important in determining vehicle performance that a heavier tire is often faster than a lighter tire when it comes to going around a track, assuming that the extra weight was added because of something performance related, like sidewall reinforcement, or a slightly wider contact patch.

To make an example: a lighter tire may cut your time to accelerate from 40 to 45 mph by 0.02 second (I made this number up). But if the heavier tire takes the corner at 45 mph, and the lighter tire only takes the corner at 40, the heavier tire is still the faster way through. Higher corner speeds matter more than miniscule variance in accel times or braking differences.
__________________
_______________________________________________



To credit the forum, click through one of the banners in my signature and the top of the page, or call me direct at 877.522.8473 ext 660. Email:ben@tirerack.com
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #78
TRZ06
Captain
TRZ06's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
652
Posts

Drives: 08' IB E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
The weights are correct. The RE-11 are heavier. 4lb is on the higher end of what is expected as far as weight variation in one size, but keep in mind that Michelins are usually lighter than Bridgestones in general, and that an Extreme Performance tire is usually heavier than a max performance, because it has additional reinforcement in the sidewall. We do see this much variation between tires in the same size on a regular basis, and sometimes even more than 4lbs.

Tires are so important in determining vehicle performance that a heavier tire is often faster than a lighter tire when it comes to going around a track, assuming that the extra weight was added because of something performance related, like sidewall reinforcement, or a slightly wider contact patch.

To make an example: a lighter tire may cut your time to accelerate from 40 to 45 mph by 0.02 second (I made this number up). But if the heavier tire takes the corner at 45 mph, and the lighter tire only takes the corner at 40, the heavier tire is still the faster way through. Higher corner speeds matter more than miniscule variance in accel times or braking differences.


I couldn't agree more.
__________________
11' Cyber Gray Corvette Grand Sport
PREVIOUS:
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech. & Premium Package
07' 335i E90: KWV2, H&R Sways, SSTT
01' & 04' Corvette Z06
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #79
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
238
Rep
10,302
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
The weights are correct.
...
Thanks Ben, what about the availability of the 285/35-19? It comes and goes from the TireRack website and it not listed on the official Bridgestone web site.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #80
gadget
Major
gadget's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
1,162
Posts

Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Thanks to everyone who has provided their input thus far.

I have decided to go with the RE-11 since it provides the highest level of dry traction (excuding the PSC+) I push the car pretty hard in the back roads near my house and often feel that the PS2'sare lacking just a tad of grip. Plus the PSC+ are just too expensive. Based on thier tread wear, I'd need a 4sets per year. I make good money but don't make giraffe money.

I know that these tires are heavier but many have made good points on the benefits of a stiffer tire. As far as wet goes, i usually go pretty slow when its wet. I'm not going to risk crashing my ///M by pushing the car at its limit on public roads in the rain. My PS2 have less than 1/32 trad and have had no problmes in the rain so i'm sure the RE-11 will be just fine.

Anyways, I'll post pics and a review once i get them and break them in.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 12:26 AM   #81
e46e92love
Banned
United_States
43
Rep
3,133
Posts

Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The East Side of Things

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
Thanks to everyone who has provided their input thus far.

I have decided to go with the RE-11 since it provides the highest level of dry traction (excuding the PSC+) I push the car pretty hard in the back roads near my house and often feel that the PS2'sare lacking just a tad of grip. Plus the PSC+ are just too expensive. Based on thier tread wear, I'd need a 4sets per year. I make good money but don't make giraffe money.

I know that these tires are heavier but many have made good points on the benefits of a stiffer tire. As far as wet goes, i usually go pretty slow when its wet. I'm not going to risk crashing my ///M by pushing the car at its limit on public roads in the rain. My PS2 have less than 1/32 trad and have had no problmes in the rain so i'm sure the RE-11 will be just fine.

Anyways, I'll post pics and a review once i get them and break them in.
Definitely looking forward to the review and pics (to see a comparison of how they look on a wheel as compared to the PS2s......

Thanks!!

Cheers,
e46e92
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 03:30 AM   #82
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
United Kingdom
106
Rep
3,089
Posts

Drives: E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Sadly the RE11s in M3 size are not available in the UK as they seem like a good option to the PS2s. The extra weight would worry me though, those extra 4 lbs per corner located mostly at the edge of the rotating mass of the wheel/tyre are going to have a significant effect.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 05:18 AM   #83
MrHarris
yodog
MrHarris's Avatar
United_States
83
Rep
5,036
Posts

Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Sadly the RE11s in M3 size are not available in the UK as they seem like a good option to the PS2s. The extra weight would worry me though, those extra 4 lbs per corner located mostly at the edge of the rotating mass of the wheel/tyre are going to have a significant effect.
The RE-11's are that heavy?
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #84
gadget
Major
gadget's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
1,162
Posts

Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
The weights are correct. The RE-11 are heavier. 4lb is on the higher end of what is expected as far as weight variation in one size, but keep in mind that Michelins are usually lighter than Bridgestones in general, and that an Extreme Performance tire is usually heavier than a max performance, because it has additional reinforcement in the sidewall. We do see this much variation between tires in the same size on a regular basis, and sometimes even more than 4lbs.

Tires are so important in determining vehicle performance that a heavier tire is often faster than a lighter tire when it comes to going around a track, assuming that the extra weight was added because of something performance related, like sidewall reinforcement, or a slightly wider contact patch.

To make an example: a lighter tire may cut your time to accelerate from 40 to 45 mph by 0.02 second (I made this number up). But if the heavier tire takes the corner at 45 mph, and the lighter tire only takes the corner at 40, the heavier tire is still the faster way through. Higher corner speeds matter more than miniscule variance in accel times or braking differences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
The RE-11's are that heavy?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #85
gadget
Major
gadget's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
1,162
Posts

Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
S The extra weight would worry me though, those extra 4 lbs per corner located mostly at the edge of the rotating mass of the wheel/tyre are going to have a significant effect.
There are pros and cons to everything. I'll give them a shot. In the worst possible case they'll suck and I'll burn through them in 6 months and then try something else.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #86
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
KonigsTiger's Avatar
68
Rep
4,397
Posts

Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

iTrader: (0)

Im going to stick with the PSC+ for now and if I find they last absolutely nothing, then I will buy PS2s or PZeros for everyday us. Since I only put maybe 2,000 miles a year in the car, the PSC durability should not be an issue. I will mount these on 19" super light weight mono forged RDSport wheels new for the M3, first set is being made right now! lol!! Rear will be an 19"x11" with a PSC+ 305/30 R19.
__________________
==================================================
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #87
gadget
Major
gadget's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
1,162
Posts

Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Im going to stick with the PSC+ for now and if I find they last absolutely nothing, then I will buy PS2s or PZeros for everyday us. Since I only put maybe 2,000 miles a year in the car, the PSC durability should not be an issue. I will mount these on 19" super light weight mono forged RDSport wheels new for the M3, first set is being made right now! lol!! Rear will be an 19"x11" with a PSC+ 305/30 R19.
If you are only putting 2k miles / year they should last you a couple years assuming they are not mostly track miles. I on other other put 15k-20k miles on my cars per year ...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #88
e46e92love
Banned
United_States
43
Rep
3,133
Posts

Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The East Side of Things

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Im going to stick with the PSC+ for now and if I find they last absolutely nothing, then I will buy PS2s or PZeros for everyday us. Since I only put maybe 2,000 miles a year in the car, the PSC durability should not be an issue. I will mount these on 19" super light weight mono forged RDSport wheels new for the M3, first set is being made right now! lol!! Rear will be an 19"x11" with a PSC+ 305/30 R19.
I got to ask, why spend so much $$ on the //M and then the mods not to driver her? Don't you like driving the car? Not flaming at all, just asking

Cheers,
e46e92
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:13 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST