BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
gadget
Major
gadget's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
1,162
Posts

 
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Pirelli zero hero vs. Michelin PS2. vs. Bridgestone RE-011

So based on reading several posts I've concluded that these are the 3 best tires for road use on the M3. I'm not including the Sport Cups+ since i think there are a different league and don;t want to be changing tires 2-3 times a year.


I'm hoping to this will spark a debate that will ultimately lead to consensus on the best tire to get for maximum dry traction. I'm not to worried about the wet. all should be ok.

what I really want to know is what will provide the best grip for Launch control, aggressive acceleration and tight fast turns.

I'm not looking for what the better value is. I'm looking for the best tire.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
chris719
Lieutenant
7
Rep
480
Posts

 
Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Bridgestone RE-11 or Yokohama AD08 are most likely best street tires you can get, treadwear aside. PS2 was awesome when it was launched, but it's getting on a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
TRZ06
Captain
TRZ06's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
652
Posts

 
Drives: 08' IB E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

I choose the Pirelli P-Zeros for my HRE wheels, however that is ONLY because the
RE-11's are not avail. in the rear size that I need yet.

I had the RE-01R's on my 335i and I thought they ROCKED. The only negative I had about them, is that they tended to get greasy when they were hot. Hopefully Bridgestone fixed that on the RE-11s
(the direct replacement for the RE-01R)
__________________
11' Cyber Gray Corvette Grand Sport
PREVIOUS:
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech. & Premium Package
07' 335i E90: KWV2, H&R Sways, SSTT
01' & 04' Corvette Z06
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
MrHarris
yodog
MrHarris's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
5,037
Posts

 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
RE-11's!
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
gadget
Major
gadget's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
1,162
Posts

 
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post

I had the RE-01R's on my 335i and I thought they ROCKED. The only negative I had about them, is that they tended to get greasy when they were hot. Hopefully Bridgestone fixed that on the RE-11s
(the direct replacement for the RE-01R)
Can anyone confirm if the "greasy" issue has been fixed and explain more on the impact of a greasy tire? Assuming its a loss of grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
RE-11's!
Thanks, can you provide your rationale?

Thanks to all
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 09:35 PM   #6
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
173
Rep
12,996
Posts

 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

the greasy feel is really noticable on the ps2's if you track the car. i was at pacific raceways last week and during one of my later lapping sessions i started slipping all over on braking zones into corners and acceleration at exits to corners. i wasnt driving any different but was having a difficult time. came in and noticed how greasy the tires actually looked. if the michelins overheat they get loose and really greasy. literally looked like i had oil on my tires.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 04:12 AM   #7
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
United Kingdom
38
Rep
2,621
Posts

 
Drives: E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

If you live in a warm climate the PS2s are a great road tyre (but you can overheat them if you track them). The traction reduces in cold temps but apart from that they give high grip, excellent braking, predictable transition when starting to slip and a good front to rear balance.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 04:44 AM   #8
MrHarris
yodog
MrHarris's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
5,037
Posts

 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
I just know the PS2 and the RE-11 are in different categories as far as tires go. The RE-11's are the tire that's a blend of a track tire and street tire. You sacrifice wet traction for all out traction but still saving a little wet traction so you aren't entirely screwed when it rains.

The PS2 is probably the best full out summer tire with full wet capabilities. If you are looking for more dry performance and willing to sacrifice some wet traction then look in the RE-11, the Nitto NT-05 and tires in that category
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 08:26 AM   #9
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Check the weights on tirerack to make sure the alternatives you are considering will not add 3-4lb per corner.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #10
Dartanium
Lieutenant
5
Rep
558
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Check the weights on tirerack to make sure the alternatives you are considering will not add 3-4lb per corner.
I looked into it, RE11 in the same sized 265/35/19 is 4lbs heavier per corner than Michelin of (29lb vs. 25lb according TireRack), maybe a stiffer sidewall translates to the added weight
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
gadget
Major
gadget's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
1,162
Posts

 
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartanium View Post
I looked into it, RE11 in the same sized 265/35/19 is 4lbs heavier per corner than Michelin of (29lb vs. 25lb according TireRack), maybe a stiffer sidewall translates to the added weight

4lbs of unsprung weight seems like a lot... how much of a negative imapct does this weight have and how would it translate to driver feel?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 02:48 PM   #12
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
215
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
I just know the PS2 and the RE-11 are in different categories as far as tires go. The RE-11's are the tire that's a blend of a track tire and street tire. You sacrifice wet traction for all out traction but still saving a little wet traction so you aren't entirely screwed when it rains.

The PS2 is probably the best full out summer tire with full wet capabilities. If you are looking for more dry performance and willing to sacrifice some wet traction then look in the RE-11, the Nitto NT-05 and tires in that category
Are both the RE-11 and NT-05 positively better dry traction and better at the track than the PS2?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 06:14 PM   #13
TRZ06
Captain
TRZ06's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
652
Posts

 
Drives: 08' IB E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
4lbs of unsprung weight seems like a lot... how much of a negative imapct does this weight have and how would it translate to driver feel?
First off, most tires are heavier than PS2's, that is because the PS2s have little sidewall reinforcement, hence the soft sidewalls.

I will gladly take a few extra pounds for a stiffer sidewall. It gives you a crisper turn-in and feels a lot more responsive.

Also, don't forget that the tires will reduce in weight as the tread wears.
__________________
11' Cyber Gray Corvette Grand Sport
PREVIOUS:
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech. & Premium Package
07' 335i E90: KWV2, H&R Sways, SSTT
01' & 04' Corvette Z06
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 10:34 PM   #14
gadget
Major
gadget's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
1,162
Posts

 
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Are both the RE-11 and NT-05 positively better dry traction and better at the track than the PS2?



Also, has any one had actual experience with any of these tires on the e9X M?. I know a lot of you are on your second maybe 3rd set by now....
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 01:12 AM   #15
chris719
Lieutenant
7
Rep
480
Posts

 
Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Swamp, RE-11 should have much higher grip and sidewall stiffness than PS2, downsides would be treadwear and possibly hydroplaning resistance.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 02:04 AM   #16
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
215
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Swamp, RE-11 should have much higher grip and sidewall stiffness than PS2, downsides would be treadwear and possibly hydroplaning resistance.
Can you up it a bit by saying "sbsolutely have" in place of "should have"? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #17
gadget
Major
gadget's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
1,162
Posts

 
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Consumer reports. Rolling Resistance translates to fuel economy with a 1.1mpg difference between teh best and teh worst. On that note, looks like teh P-Zero is the better tire for a dry- street tire.

Hope this helps. I'd still like to hear from what other other have done who are now on thier second set...
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #18
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
18
Rep
886
Posts

 
Drives: 740i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Bend, IN

iTrader: (0)

Re-11's are better for dry weather and light track use.

PS-2 and Pirelli are both a balance of wet and dry. Very very close with eachother. It pretty much comes down to driver preference, although I think the P Zero is probably slightly stickier, and the Michelin a little smoother and quieter.
__________________
_______________________________________________



To credit the forum, click through one of the banners in my signature and the top of the page, or call me direct at 877.522.8473 ext 660. Email:ben@tirerack.com
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #19
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
215
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

RE-11's are sounding like a great choice for me, especially given they are way less expensive than the PS2. Anyone have any idea about tread life compared to PS2? Just in case anyone says compare the rating to the PS2 you really should know you absolutely can not cross brand compare wear ratings.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #20
Dartanium
Lieutenant
5
Rep
558
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

I'm also thinking RE-11 instead of PS2 for the stiffer sidewall and mostly price. I am running RE-01R, RE11's predecessor, on my other car and they grip quite well in both wet and dry. RE-01R has more grip than anyone needs on the regular street, curvy and challenging ones included. So with that mindset RE11 should be better than what it has replaced.

However with stiffer sidewall I expect PS2 to have a much better ride and probably be more comfortable for the daily commute.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #21
gadget
Major
gadget's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
1,162
Posts

 
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
RE-11's are sounding like a great choice for me, especially given they are way less expensive than the PS2. Anyone have any idea about tread life compared to PS2? Just in case anyone says compare the rating to the PS2 you really should know you absolutely can not cross brand compare wear ratings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartanium View Post
I'm also thinking RE-11 instead of PS2 for the stiffer sidewall and mostly price. I am running RE-01R, RE11's predecessor, on my other car and they grip quite well in both wet and dry. RE-01R has more grip than anyone needs on the regular street, curvy and challenging ones included. So with that mindset RE11 should be better than what it has replaced.

However with stiffer sidewall I expect PS2 to have a much better ride and probably be more comfortable for the daily commute.
I too am thinking about going with the RE-11's

Look what i found on teh MB C63AMG forums:

Here is a link to the 350Z forum where they have a video of 4 Miata's running each of the four tires.

Toyo R1R
Yokohama Neova
Bridgestone Potenza RE11
Dunlop Direzza Z1 star spec

http://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-t...ml#post7127590

For those that don't want to hop over and view the video here is the race analysis.

1) All laps
..........................Average............Stand ard Deviation
Bridgestone............71.363...................1. 624
Dunlop...................71.716................... 2.250
Yoko......................71.447.................. 1.899
Toyo.....................72.841................... 1.736

2) Dropping the starting lap (slowest lap)
...........................Average...........Stand ard Deviation..Total time for these 14 laps
Bridgestone............70.950....................0 .295...... .................993.297
Dunlop...................71.313................... 1.685..... ...................998.388
Yoko.....................70.959................... .0.196.... ...................993.429
Toyo.....................72.427................... .0.698.... ..................1013.984

3) Dropping the starting (slowest) and fastest laps
...........................Average............Stan dard Deviation....Total time for these 13 laps
Bridgestone............70.974....................0 .293...... .................922.657
Dunlop...................71.372................... .1.739.... ...................927.838
Yoko.....................70.981................... .0.183.... ...................922.772
Toyo.....................72.514................... .0.640.... ...................942.689
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #22
gadget
Major
gadget's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
1,162
Posts

 
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: US

iTrader: (0)





ps. how do you embed the the vidoe on the post?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST