BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

INDustry distribution

08-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #45
doba_s
Major General

Drives: M3, 1M

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
I've had some sensitivity loss on known falses (very little when I first had the unit installed but more so lately-almost as if the unit needs a software update), but still haven't been pulled over using it so it's not that big a deal to me.

I'll try and get a look at the unit itself sometime this week. I also want to take some side by side tests w/ a standard V1 to see the loss for myself. If I can get this on video I'll post it up.
Thank you for posting it ... I kind of thought so ...

You will be surprised how it went down compare to the unit that is mounted on your windshield ...

I hope you can do side-by-side video and post it here ... I like the stealth look but it is more important not to get a ticket ...

On a straight line it would probably still cover you but if the LEO is sitting on the on ramp or behind it it might be to late to react ...
doba_s is offline   United_States
      08-24-2009, 09:34 PM   #46
skierman64
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 E92 Space Gray M3 & E36M3

Garage List
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to skierman64
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
I've had some sensitivity loss on known falses (very little when I first had the unit installed but more so lately-almost as if the unit needs a software update), but still haven't been pulled over using it so it's not that big a deal to me.

I'll try and get a look at the unit itself sometime this week. I also want to take some side by side tests w/ a standard V1 to see the loss for myself. If I can get this on video I'll post it up.
Be sure when you're doing the test to not have both V1s on at the same time because they will interfere with one another and reduce the detection range if they are both powered up.
      08-24-2009, 10:26 PM   #47
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Nice mod.... shame that we don't have guys like Ai over here in Oz!
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - No Longer With Me
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
zenderm3 is offline   Australia
      08-25-2009, 01:13 AM   #48
lugnut
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Space/Fox

For full disclosure I already contacted the guys at Ai about my sensitivity loss and they are taking a look at it as soon as I get my car up there. They seemed surprised when I described it to them, and having seen other cars that they have done not have the loss that I have it definately seems like my V1 needs a reflash. In years past I have had to send 2 stand alone V1s back to Valentine to be updated when I started to have reception degredation, so this is something I am used to.

All in all I have been really pleased with the install in the 15 or so months that I've had it in.
      08-25-2009, 09:13 AM   #49
doba_s
Major General

check out this video ... it shows the effect of various materials placed in front of a RD's antenna

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/564579-post1.html
      08-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #50
ModLikeMad
Enlisted Member

Drives: Soon to be 09' M3

I always see people on this forum talking about Passport and the V1, and from past experience, both are amazing products. However, there is another system that I have also had the pleasurte of using in a 997 turbo and an F430 (friends cars) and it is outstanding and may be worth consdidering as well. Just another option out there for everyone. The brand is K40 by Calibre, check it out...

http://k40.com/home_main.html

Last edited by ModLikeMad; 08-25-2009 at 03:05 PM. Reason: correcting info...
ModLikeMad is offline   United_States
      11-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #51
ukchris

Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta View Post
for the amount of $$ that AI Design charges for things, I would just hardwire it and save your money for other mods and/or add a laser jammer...
How much do they charge?

Edit - neve rmind, just saw the post that mentions the price at over $1,000, wow..! If you can mount your own V1 the mirror can be done much cheaper than that.

Last edited by ukchris; 11-04-2009 at 09:58 PM.
      11-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #52
J08M3
Major General

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModLikeMad View Post
I always see people on this forum talking about Passport and the V1, and from past experience, both are amazing products. However, there is another system that I have also had the pleasurte of using in a 997 turbo and an F430 (friends cars) and it is outstanding and may be worth consdidering as well. Just another option out there for everyone. The brand is K40 by Calibre, check it out...

http://k40.com/home_main.html
That thing is junk... I had it and couldn't wait to take it back out and go with a V1, and now I have a LI as well
      11-04-2009, 10:31 PM   #53
Kev
Resident Anesthesiologist

Drives: VW bug with a misplaced engine

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
That thing is junk... I had it and couldn't wait to take it back out and go with a V1, and now I have a LI as well
K40 is so 2005. It's outdated technology.
      11-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #54
doba_s
Major General

LI is the way to go ! Saved my a$$ 2 days ago ..
      11-07-2009, 12:23 AM   #55
ukchris

I was asked recently to try a prototype for an M3 Oval mirror with two way glass, well, it's almost complete, just a few spots of glue to clean up so I thought I'd share a couple of quick pictures.

The remote display is behind the glass, the cable comes up through the mounting arm ready to run down to the V1. The mute/mode switch is mounted on the back of the mirror housing.

You can just about see the display when it is off, mainly due to the flash but it is all but invisible at other times.

Mirror with the display off:

Mirror with the display on:

The donor mirror was a standard M3 Oval auto-dimming mirror that had leaked, the glass has been replaced and as such it will no longer auto-dim but hey, it has the V1 display in it..!

Hope you like it.

Chris.
      11-07-2009, 12:43 AM   #56
doba_s
Major General

good job!
      11-21-2009, 12:18 AM   #57
ukchris

If anyone is interested in the mirror above shoot e a PM, the guy I made it for has come up short so it's available if anyone is looking for a reasonably priced mirror with the V1 display behind two way (not auto-dimming) glass. I'm willing to make a good deal on this to free up some cash.