BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
Ben335
Captain
 
Ben335's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia

Posts: 891
iTrader: (2)

Eisenmann Exhaust E90 Tip Fitment Question

I had the Eisenmann installed on my 09 E90 yesterday. The problem is there is no way to tuck in the exhaust tips further in. It is ok when cold, but when hot it really starts to stick out. I keep reading that there is a lot of adjustment in the exhaust, but during install there wasn't that much. Here is the problem:

The exhaust is connected to the car by two brackets on each side of the exhaust. The mount points are fixed as the holes on the bracket and car have to line up to be able to screw the bolt down. So, in essence you are limited to how far and out you can move by the bracket holes. There is a small amount of play. It is moved as far in as possible, even as much as the red rubber hanger in the back tilts toward the front of the car.

I think the issue here is that almost all of the installed exhaust have been on E92 and because of the different rear bumper shape of the E92, the exhaust can be tucked in more. There haven't been that many E90 installs and when there have been a couple everyone comments that the tips stick out too much, unless they had a diffuser.

The only way that I can see tucking it more is that I have to modify the hangers to accomodate more room to tuck the exhaust in. I know a lot of people are going to say get a diffuser and it will solve the problem, but I really don't want to do that.

Can anyone help me? Any ideas? Nate and Ilia from IND your input would be much valued here.

Last edited by Ben335; 05-24-2009 at 05:11 AM.
Ben335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
RJD M3
Private First Class
 
RJD M3's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dover, DE

Posts: 192
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to RJD M3
I have the same problem. That bracket is the limiting factor, and I havent had a chance to reattack the problem, but I think that there is going to have to be some chopping to make it fit. Im hoping someone can chime in with some more detailed advice...
__________________
2009 Jet Black E90 ///M3/Black Leather/Carbon Leather/M-DCT/Tech/Premium/Premium Sound/
Heated Fronts/Moon/19's/Eisenmann Race w/ Connecting Pipes/Matte Grills/Painted Reflectors/Euro LCI Tails/20% Tint
C-17A Globemaster III
RJD M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
 
AMPowerJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Blythewood, SC

Posts: 2,437
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
Sounds more and more to me that their 'E90' exhaust is really not an E90 exhaust.
__________________

Current: 2015 F80 M3 (SS, Full Black Interior, 6MT, LED, Adaptive, 19's) - On Order
Previous: 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
AMPowerJ is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-23-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
FStop7
I like cars
 
FStop7's Avatar
 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

Posts: 5,059
iTrader: (3)

This won't help you but unfortunately it sounds like the only real way to fix this problem is to shorten the tips.
FStop7 is offline   Vatican City State
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2009, 05:27 AM   #5
Ben335
Captain
 
Ben335's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia

Posts: 891
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJD M3 View Post
I have the same problem. That bracket is the limiting factor, and I havent had a chance to reattack the problem, but I think that there is going to have to be some chopping to make it fit. Im hoping someone can chime in with some more detailed advice...
I have been talking to my installer and the only way we can see fixing it it to elongate the holes to give yourself room to slide the exhaust back along the bolt if that makes sense. I am really hoping there is a fix. Kind of annoying to pay this much for an exhaust that doesn't really fit that car.
Ben335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2009, 07:19 AM   #6
DoNDoN
Colonel
 
DoNDoN's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 AW
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NoVA

Posts: 2,038
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben335 View Post
I have been talking to my installer and the only way we can see fixing it it to elongate the holes to give yourself room to slide the exhaust back along the bolt if that makes sense. I am really hoping there is a fix. Kind of annoying to pay this much for an exhaust that doesn't really fit that car.
Are you worried that much that you are up this early?
__________________
DoNDoN is offline   Thailand
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2009, 08:17 AM   #7
RJD M3
Private First Class
 
RJD M3's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dover, DE

Posts: 192
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to RJD M3
Ben-

Are you talking about the holes on the two brackets on the black things? I have toyed with that notion too...
__________________
2009 Jet Black E90 ///M3/Black Leather/Carbon Leather/M-DCT/Tech/Premium/Premium Sound/
Heated Fronts/Moon/19's/Eisenmann Race w/ Connecting Pipes/Matte Grills/Painted Reflectors/Euro LCI Tails/20% Tint
C-17A Globemaster III
RJD M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
Ben335
Captain
 
Ben335's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia

Posts: 891
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNDoN View Post
Are you worried that much that you are up this early?

Sleepless nights, my friend!!! Ha, no, I always get up early!
Ben335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
Ben335
Captain
 
Ben335's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia

Posts: 891
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJD M3 View Post
Ben-

Are you talking about the holes on the two brackets on the black things? I have toyed with that notion too...

Yes. As they are now they are perfectly round in the size of the bolt. If you elongate the hole the you will give yourself some room to move the exhaust in. Almost make it like a flat oval instead of a round hole. You lose the snugness of the perfectly sized round hole, but there are multiple other mount points that I think it will be ok.

I just don't see how else to do it....
Ben335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #10
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
 
dogears's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Space Gray M3 Sedan M-DCT
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

My E90 Eisenmann tips are perfect. But, I have a diffuser..... Are you sure you got the E90 exhaust? The tips are different between the E90 and E92.

Might I suggest the diffuser? It looks much better IMO. And your longer tips will now be perfect (Are you sure you got the E90 mufflers?)

I already had the diffuser when I ordered the exhaust. I told Ilia at IND and he made sure to send me the right part.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2009 Space Gray Carbon Leather E90 with DCT, Tech package, and EPS. Mods: Fabspeed 200 cell cats, Xpipe w/resonators and no secondary cats, BPM tune, Euro DCT software, Eisenmann Sport Mufflers, Vorsteiner Rear Diffuser II, SWS8 subs, JL Audio XD400 bridged 2X200W, built in radar
dogears is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
Ben335
Captain
 
Ben335's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia

Posts: 891
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post
My E90 Eisenmann tips are perfect. But, I have a diffuser..... Are you sure you got the E90 exhaust? The tips are different between the E90 and E92.

Might I suggest the diffuser? It looks much better IMO. And your longer tips will now be perfect (Are you sure you got the E90 mufflers?)

I already had the diffuser when I ordered the exhaust. I told Ilia at IND and he made sure to send me the right part.
I definitely have the E90 "limousine" exhaust. I know the diffuser would solve the problem, but I was trying to avoid it. I looked at your picture very carefully and the exhaust sticks out exactly the same as mine. If I mentally take away the diffuser, it would be identical.
Ben335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2009, 11:14 AM   #12
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
 
dogears's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Space Gray M3 Sedan M-DCT
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Oh well.....

Since I already had the diffuser, I knew it would be ok. I really do think the diffuser vastly improves the looks. Even my wife likes it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben335 View Post
I definitely have the E90 "limousine" exhaust. I know the diffuser would solve the problem, but I was trying to avoid it. I looked at your picture very carefully and the exhaust sticks out exactly the same as mine. If I mentally take away the diffuser, it would be identical.
__________________
2009 Space Gray Carbon Leather E90 with DCT, Tech package, and EPS. Mods: Fabspeed 200 cell cats, Xpipe w/resonators and no secondary cats, BPM tune, Euro DCT software, Eisenmann Sport Mufflers, Vorsteiner Rear Diffuser II, SWS8 subs, JL Audio XD400 bridged 2X200W, built in radar
dogears is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #13
Ben335
Captain
 
Ben335's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia

Posts: 891
iTrader: (2)

Anyone else with the Eisenmann on at e90 that can offer any insight?

I will be contacting Nate or Ilia today to see if there is anything that can be done.
Ben335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2009, 10:24 AM   #14
Nate@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Nate@IND's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 10,114
iTrader: (19)

Here is a photo that we took after are install. Make sure that the connecting pipes are installed properly. Also when the car is at full running temp the tips will come out about an inch.



__________________
Nate@IND is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #15
Ben335
Captain
 
Ben335's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia

Posts: 891
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
Here is a photo that we took after are install. Make sure that the connecting pipes are installed properly. Also when the car is at full running temp the tips will come out about an inch.



Nate, Thanks. do you have any pictures from a top persepctive? or side? This will give a much better sense.
Ben335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #16
Ben335
Captain
 
Ben335's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia

Posts: 891
iTrader: (2)

Pics

These pics are when the exhaust is hot.
Attached Images
     
Ben335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #17
sparkyg
Brigadier General
 
sparkyg's Avatar
 
Drives: EBII 2014 F31 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oil Country

Posts: 3,493
iTrader: (5)

Let us know what you find Nate for top down pics. My exhaust for E90 goes on in a week or two also.

thx
sparkyg is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #18
Ryan@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Ryan@IND's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago

Posts: 4,263
iTrader: (16)

Send a message via AIM to Ryan@IND Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan@IND
Ben,

We have seen a whole bunch of these get installed and it seems that yours is pretty inline with all the other E90 exhausts that we have seen. The expansion of that thing at full running temps is "wow".

the one thing that we have tried is to tuck the exhaust as far back (towards the front of the car) with the connecting pipe sliding into the muffler. You might also benefit from spot welding once you have the connecting pipes as deep in and at the position that you like (in reference to the tips against the rear valance).

I might be just reiterating what you have already done, but let us know, in anycase.
Ryan@IND is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #19
Ben335
Captain
 
Ben335's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia

Posts: 891
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius@WheelSTO View Post
Ben,

We have seen a whole bunch of these get installed and it seems that yours is pretty inline with all the other E90 exhausts that we have seen. The expansion of that thing at full running temps is "wow".

the one thing that we have tried is to tuck the exhaust as far back (towards the front of the car) with the connecting pipe sliding into the muffler. You might also benefit from spot welding once you have the connecting pipes as deep in and at the position that you like (in reference to the tips against the rear valance).

I might be just reiterating what you have already done, but let us know, in anycase.
Julius,

Hmmmm. So it seems that Eisenmann made a gaff in the design to have the tips so far out compared to their E92 fitment. I have this thing as far as it will go in. So far that the red rubber hanger tilts toward the front of the car. The single limiting factor is the brackets on each side of the exhaust that bolt the exhaust to the car. The holes on the bracket don't allow you to move any further in. Moving further in will prevent you being able to fit the bolt in....I am at a loss. I contacted Ilia and he will take a look at the pics. I think I am going to have to modify the brackets to make it work. Just a bit disappointing to have to modify the brackets on an exhaust that costs this much. The sound is amazing though. Any other suggestions.
Ben335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2009, 07:25 AM   #20
sparkyg
Brigadier General
 
sparkyg's Avatar
 
Drives: EBII 2014 F31 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oil Country

Posts: 3,493
iTrader: (5)

So you shoved the exhaust pipes all the way into the muffler to make sure the muffler is as far forward towards the front as possible?

Did the exhaust get cut in slightly the wrong spot or do you have the connecting pipes?
sparkyg is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2009, 07:28 AM   #21
Ben335
Captain
 
Ben335's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia

Posts: 891
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
So you shoved the exhaust pipes all the way into the muffler to make sure the muffler is as far forward towards the front as possible?

Did the exhaust get cut in slightly the wrong spot or do you have the connecting pipes?
I have the connecting pipes. The exhaust itself is pushed in far on the pipes. I don't know if you have seen the exhaust in person, but there are mounting brackets on the right and left side of the exhaust. These brackets are what limit you from going in farther and cause the issue.
Ben335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2009, 08:39 AM   #22
darwin316
Master Chief
 
darwin316's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 e90 M3 JzB
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NOVA

Posts: 639
iTrader: (0)

That sucks man.... I was planning on getting the Eisenmann sport to go with Fabspeed x-pipes. I guess I will go with the Fabspeed first, then maybe a diffuser next so it can hide the tips of the Eisenmann exhaust.
__________________
| 2009 E90 M3 | JZB | Black Leather, Carbon Leather | M-DCT | 19" OEM Wheels | Tech, Premium & Cold Packages | PDC | Alarm | Premium Sound | iPod Adapter |
| 2011 X5 35i Sports Activity| Sapphire Black, Black Leather, Dark Bamboo | Convenience, Tech & Cold Packages | HUD | Comfort Access | Premium Sound |

darwin316 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST