BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
elerner
New Member
2

 
Drives: '14 x5 5.0
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Westchester County, NY


Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

barely used 09 m3 - buy or run away?

Hi All-
have a great opportunity to be a 09 m3 convertible with 1000 miles. great options and a fair deal (80 k msrp, buy for 68).
PROBLEM is - DCT transmission was replaced at 295 miles and BMW bought back the car from the owner 700 miles later. My gut says run far, run fast - want to know your opinion if its a problem or not? yes, it is still under warranty - but who really wants the hassle to save 5 or 6 grand? i want to drive my car on the highway - not to the shop every other week.
Any insight / feedback is really appreciated!
thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
197

 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida


Posts: 11,149
iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner View Post
Hi All-
have a great opportunity to be a 09 m3 convertible with 1000 miles. great options and a fair deal (80 k msrp, buy for 68).
PROBLEM is - DCT transmission was replaced at 295 miles and BMW bought back the car from the owner 700 miles later. My gut says run far, run fast - want to know your opinion if its a problem or not? yes, it is still under warranty - but who really wants the hassle to save 5 or 6 grand? i want to drive my car on the highway - not to the shop every other week.
Any insight / feedback is really appreciated!
thanks
I don't know why you want to takeover another person's headache. The price is not even attractive at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
SlammedR8
Brigadier General
Canada
181

 
SlammedR8's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Audi R8 V10 +2013 Audi S4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto


Posts: 4,937
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to SlammedR8
i dunno, if it was replaced by BMW i wouldnt worry much. I doubt you are going to run into another problem with a second DCT tranny. Its unlikely, but if your gut tells you to stay away. then stay away!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
35

 
Ca$hOnly's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In ur fridge, eatin ur foodz


Posts: 1,078
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
i dunno, if it was replaced by BMW i wouldnt worry much. I doubt you are going to run into another problem with a second DCT tranny. Its unlikely, but if your gut tells you to stay away. then stay away!
Why would they buy it back then? RUN LOLA RUN!!!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #5
SlammedR8
Brigadier General
Canada
181

 
SlammedR8's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Audi R8 V10 +2013 Audi S4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto


Posts: 4,937
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to SlammedR8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hOnly View Post
Why would they buy it back then? RUN LOLA RUN!!!

perhaps the owner was pissed (and rightfully so) that his 09 E93 M3 had to have its tranny replaced at less then 300 miles and demanded a new/different car
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
doba_s
Major General
United_States
276

 
doba_s's Avatar
 
Drives: M3, 1M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco


Posts: 6,101
iTrader: (26)

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I don't know why you want to takeover another person's headache. The price is not even attractive at all.
I agree ... the price should be around 40k for lemon law car ... not to mention that it is a used car and you need to forget about MSRP price ...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 12:23 AM   #7
rainzoro
Enlisted Member
1

 
Drives: jerez black M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: binghamton NY


Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

if a car was bought back, the chances are the car had a major issue.

6k out of 68k is less than 10%

9% discount is NOT worth risk taking

end of story
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 12:52 AM   #8
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
35

 
Ca$hOnly's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In ur fridge, eatin ur foodz


Posts: 1,078
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
perhaps the owner was pissed (and rightfully so) that his 09 E93 M3 had to have its tranny replaced at less then 300 miles and demanded a new/different car
That's not how the lemon law works. You can't just be "pissed" and demand a new car. BMW is not going to do a buy-back unless the owner has a case under the state's lemon law.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 12:57 AM   #9
IRMthree
Captain
7

 
IRMthree's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: WestCoast


Posts: 677
iTrader: (0)

try to negotiate a better price...if they don't bite, then i'd walk away...i'm sure you find some good '08's out there
__________________
Current: E92 M3 DCT Coupe
Past: E46 M3 SMG Coupe
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 01:30 AM   #10
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
41

 
spyderco10's Avatar
 
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Honolulu, HI


Posts: 2,425
iTrader: (0)

if BMW bought the car back AFTER they replaced the tranny, under no circumstance should you buy this car, even if it were free
__________________
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 04:39 AM   #11
808E90
808E90
United_States
150

 
808E90's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 ///M
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aloha State


Posts: 4,019
iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I don't know why you want to takeover another person's headache. The price is not even attractive at all.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
if BMW bought the car back AFTER they replaced the tranny, under no circumstance should you buy this car, even if it were free
He or she wouldn't have to buy it, if it was free
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 05:33 AM   #12
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
150

 
MrHarris's Avatar
 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca


Posts: 5,037
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
if it were 50k then i'd say go for it
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 05:48 AM   #13
elerner
New Member
2

 
Drives: '14 x5 5.0
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Westchester County, NY


Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

thanks peeps - it seems we are all in agreement - when i saw the paperwork stating bmw bought the car back, a huge red flag was waving vigorously. Back to the drawing board for me - i will be an official member of this post sometime soon, I am sure. I even called the selling dealer to see what the real story was and they had no record of the car in their system even though the BMW paperwork stating where the tranny was replaced was at that dealer. way too shady. 68,000 is too expensive to take this chance.
Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #14
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
87

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .


Posts: 4,643
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hOnly View Post
Why would they buy it back then? RUN LOLA RUN!!!
+1,000
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST