BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

08-22-2017, 04:31 AM   #1
MikeHawk7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3: E92, ZCP, DCT

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW 330Ci  [0.00]
Combox 4G retrofit

So as well all know, the old Combox has been replaced with the 4G hardware for 2017. I want to retrofit the new hardware in myself since it seems that the main job is replacing the Combox itself and the dealer wants to charge me way too much for them to do it. I really do want the ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist services.

Is it as easy as swapping 84102447926 in and activating the service? And then maybe have a local tuner program it in and/or update the software? I can't seem to find any information on anyone DIYing this but I don't see why it couldn't be done.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 12:17 AM   #2
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I don't think BMW will allow you to start new services. Everything I read stated you had to have a currently active account to transfer services to a new combox. I still have the old telematic combox and I would love to gain active services too. I currently just use an active iPhone 4s for my car only and it still locates my car for me when I look on my iphone 7 in maps but I cannot remotely unlock it is all. The iPhone 4s stays in my car for music, videos, hotspot for apple tv, so when I open the default maps on my iphone 7.....there is an icon displaying my car location on the map.
      08-26-2017, 12:25 AM   #3
MikeHawk7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3: E92, ZCP, DCT

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW 330Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
I don't think BMW will allow you to start new services. Everything I read stated you had to have a currently active account to transfer services to a new combox. I still have the old telematic combox and I would love to gain active services too. I currently just use an active iPhone 4s for my car only and it still locates my car for me when I look on my iphone 7 in maps but I cannot remotely unlock it is all. The iPhone 4s stays in my car for music, videos, hotspot for apple tv, so when I open the default maps on my iphone 7.....there is an icon displaying my car location on the map.
That's a weird way to not take people's money haha! I checked with BMW Assist customer service and the dealer and they both say that I need to retrofit the new hardware, sign up with a new contract, and pay the $199 or 398/year.

The thing I kept reading about for current service is for BMW to pay to retrofit the hardware. In my case, I'm paying out of pocket.

What you and I want will cost us retrofitting a 4G Combox and $199/year for BMW Assist.

I'll eventually go through the process and see what happens.

Last edited by MikeHawk7; 08-26-2017 at 12:35 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #4
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Right on! Let us know how it goes. I have the old combox and plugging in another one is not hard to do. I'd be interested to see if they'll let me start service