BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-16-2009, 07:56 AM   #45
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncros View Post
Thanks Lucid.
For a intermediate driver who will start this year to run r-comp would you recommand XP10 before XP12? What differences have you found between XP10 and XP12?

Looking forward to your post on Limerock...

Thanks, Vince
XP12 has more bite, but I didn't have trouble modulating it. You would be fine with either I think. I got XP12s mainly because of the temperature issues I was having at the Glen; they can operate at higher temps than the XP10s. Measuring rotor temps and having an objective sense of where things are might help you make the choice. HT10s I used at the Glen scored both rotors deeply in several locations. After a day with the XP12s, those grooves are smoothed out, so they can grind things down. Although the wear with XP12s is even, which is a good thing, it is somewhat visible after one track day. So, I guess that is the trade-off between a more aggresive pad like the XP12 and RS19/XP10 (fade resistance and bite vs rotor wear). My 2 cents...I know there are other people on this forum who have used XP12s, so maybe they can chime in as well.
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #46
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
 
Subw00er's Avatar
 
Drives: 08e92M, 03e46M
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NY

Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to Subw00er
Ya, so there are always tradeoffs. I think that if you are not a super hard braker, go with the xp10. I used them for two seasons (note on my z06, not m3), and they were great. I never really felt like I needed the xp12, but I am not hard on brakes and would occasionally take a cool down lap mid-session just to regroup.

Lucid, thats cool the carbotechs smoothed your pads out for you. I guess it makes sense though that the wear is visible.. it was only touching half the rotor surface most of the time!

BTW, I never have actually worn a rotor down, they always spidered and needed replacement far before they wore through.
Subw00er is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #47
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
BTW, I never have actually worn a rotor down, they always spidered and needed replacement far before they wore through.
Although there are no real "cracks", there is plenty of spidering on my front rotors. They are done...
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #48
M3V8Driver
Captain
 
M3V8Driver's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 726
iTrader: (0)

WHO has the best price for the RS19s? Turner and German Performance are the same. Anybody else? They are starting to become less rare now that all the shops are beginning to get them in again.
M3V8Driver is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #49
xrayos
Second Lieutenant
 
xrayos's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 M3 AW/BLK
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New England

Posts: 273
iTrader: (2)

I got mine for a great price at import replacement parts. Just under $700 shipped. Ask for Mike.
xrayos is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #50
attila
Lieutenant
 
attila's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GT3RS, 2010 MX-5, 2009 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Omaha, NE

Posts: 521
iTrader: (0)

My Carbotech XP-10's has no place for the wear sensors?? What is the case with the XP-12's?? By the way I dont have sensor on the rear drive side break.

Bedded them this weekend and seems fine. There is some noise when cold but not unbarable. Cleaned the rotors somewhat. When changed the pads, bleeded the breaks I realized how much damage was done by the melted OEM pads. There are tons of deposite on the rotor, and the pads looked like marble and cooked.

How could you remove the metal plate shielding the rear rotors?? Anyone?? I have a feeling that thing just hurts the break cooling.
attila is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #51
M3V8Driver
Captain
 
M3V8Driver's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 726
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayos View Post
I got mine for a great price at import replacement parts. Just under $700 shipped. Ask for Mike.
They don't list them. Are they not http://www.importrp.com?
M3V8Driver is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2009, 06:24 PM   #52
von_zoom
Captain
 
von_zoom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Z06
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 913
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3V8Driver View Post
They don't list them. Are they not http://www.importrp.com?

I could not get their site to list them either. Perhaps you have to use the telephone.
vz
__________________


Previous Track Toy
von_zoom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2009, 06:32 PM   #53
m3larson
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 Cayenne S 1997 M3 Track C
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ

Posts: 301
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
My Carbotech XP-10's has no place for the wear sensors?? What is the case with the XP-12's?? By the way I dont have sensor on the rear drive side break.

Bedded them this weekend and seems fine. There is some noise when cold but not unbarable. Cleaned the rotors somewhat. When changed the pads, bleeded the breaks I realized how much damage was done by the melted OEM pads. There are tons of deposite on the rotor, and the pads looked like marble and cooked.

How could you remove the metal plate shielding the rear rotors?? Anyone?? I have a feeling that thing just hurts the break cooling.
I just ordered my XP-10's. What did you do with the sensor? Is there a place to hide it? Is you brake light going on?
We should have done a Carbotech group buy.

Also, what is everyone running for brake fluid after bleeding?
__________________
The Verdict: Every other manufacturer should give up on building their own cars and just make M3s instead. -Car and Driver June 2008
m3larson is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #54
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Yes, this is a problem with Carbotechs. The bonding material overflows into the contact sensor groove. You don't really want the sensor on when you are at the track anyway. You should know how much pad material you have left. Once the sensor makes contact, the light on the dash comes on, and you need a special tool to reset it and replace the sensor. Just zip tie the the sensor and its cables to your suspension.
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #55
xrayos
Second Lieutenant
 
xrayos's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 M3 AW/BLK
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New England

Posts: 273
iTrader: (2)

yes, give them a call.


I got mine several weeks back and haven't even installed them yet. Just sitting in the garage. If you need a set before hand then let me know.


Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
I could not get their site to list them either. Perhaps you have to use the telephone.
vz
xrayos is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2009, 09:22 AM   #56
von_zoom
Captain
 
von_zoom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Z06
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 913
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
. Just zip tie the the sensor and its cables to your suspension.
That is what I do plus I use electrician tape around the end to make sure that it does not make inadvertant contact with metal.
vz
__________________


Previous Track Toy

Last edited by von_zoom; 05-19-2009 at 12:12 PM.
von_zoom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #57
attila
Lieutenant
 
attila's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GT3RS, 2010 MX-5, 2009 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Omaha, NE

Posts: 521
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
That is what I do plus I use electrician tape around the end to make sure that it does not make inadvertant contact with metal.
vz
+1

I use Castrol SRF fluid. looks very similar to OEM fluid a little bit lighter in color.
attila is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2009, 12:11 PM   #58
von_zoom
Captain
 
von_zoom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Z06
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 913
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
+1

I use Castrol SRF fluid. looks very similar to OEM fluid a little bit lighter in color.
Yo attila - you lost me on this one.
vz
__________________


Previous Track Toy
von_zoom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #59
attila
Lieutenant
 
attila's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GT3RS, 2010 MX-5, 2009 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Omaha, NE

Posts: 521
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
Yo attila - you lost me on this one.
vz
Castrol SRF looks - by color only- similar to the factory break fluid. This is good since a BMW tech will not be able to see you changed your fluid, which potentialy could void the warranty on the breaks.
However it is not easy to see the new fluid when you bleed your breaks.
ATE has blue and gold color fluids so it is easy to see the new fluid comming into the system.
The cold modulation on the XP-10 is not as good as the OEM pads but as soon as there is some heat they work better.
attila is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #60
farbarg
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: SSII e90
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego

Posts: 310
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
Castrol SRF looks - by color only- similar to the factory break fluid. This is good since a BMW tech will not be able to see you changed your fluid, which potentialy could void the warranty on the breaks.
However it is not easy to see the new fluid when you bleed your breaks.
ATE has blue and gold color fluids so it is easy to see the new fluid comming into the system.
The cold modulation on the XP-10 is not as good as the OEM pads but as soon as there is some heat they work better.
So I'm going to have a warrranty problem if I ask my dealer to put motul 600 brake fluid in the system? SRF is way too expensive (and unnecessary) for me.
farbarg is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #61
attila
Lieutenant
 
attila's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GT3RS, 2010 MX-5, 2009 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Omaha, NE

Posts: 521
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbarg View Post
So I'm going to have a warrranty problem if I ask my dealer to put motul 600 brake fluid in the system? SRF is way too expensive (and unnecessary) for me.
Maybe not! I read it here on M3post that dealer may void warranty if you change your break fluid. So I am not planning to tell them.
I got the SRF, not because I need it but was available when others (Motul, Super ATE) were not.
attila is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #62
syncros
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal

Posts: 111
iTrader: (0)

Is the motul 600 the same color as the OEM brake fluid?
I was planning on buy this oil.

Thanks,
syncros is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2009, 09:57 PM   #63
jml
Captain
 
jml's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 981
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbarg View Post
So I'm going to have a warrranty problem if I ask my dealer to put motul 600 brake fluid in the system? SRF is way too expensive (and unnecessary) for me.
[Not picking on you, but your comment on SRF prompted me to think of this]

I find it funny how many people say that SRF is unnecessary and then are also whistling the merits of an $8K BBK.

SRF is magical. If you are a track rat, instead of flushing 4x per year, you will only need to do it once, and on top of that, probably not heave to bleed the system either.
jml is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST