BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
E92-lighting
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-09-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
69
Rep
4,643
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Arrow How do I get that SPECTACULAR stance?

I've been doing tons and tons of reading and searching lately and I've almost come up with the perfect solution when I finally get my new E90 M3. My plan is to use 15mm H&R spacers all around. What I'm having trouble deciding is which springs to go with: *RD springs or H&R springs* Also, will the 15mm spacers all around help the performance of my M3, or will they work against the car?

I've heard that the RD springs will lower it a tad bit more than the H&R's, but I'm hesitating because so many M3 owners use H&R springs compared to RD's.

May I please get your help in deciding what will look and perform the best? My "near future" E90 M3 will have the standard 18 inch wheels and I plan on keeping those wheels. The 18 inch wheels are so underrated, but these pics of fellow owners have inspired me to get the same exact set-up.

The first 4 pics are of "John@BMW's" car (RD springs & 15mm H&R spacers all around)

Last edited by Nawaaz; 09-27-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
69
Rep
4,643
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Talking

and more...

Last edited by Nawaaz; 09-27-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
doba_s
Major General
doba_s's Avatar
United_States
148
Rep
6,099
Posts

 
Drives: M3, 1M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (26)

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
i would go with 12mm front and 15 rear ... RD and H&R will be a good choice to drop it ... not sure if it will perform better ...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
aus
Major General
117
Rep
7,406
Posts

 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (5)

I thoght most people used 12mm front and 10mm rear spacers?
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
signes
Brigadier General
signes's Avatar
United_States
63
Rep
4,213
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spinnin at 8k

iTrader: (3)

Most are doing 15F/12R from what I have seen. Although Greg posted pics of his car with 12 both front and read and I liked the look. Quite honestly, I don't see a lot of difference between the H&R and RD Sport springs, although the latter looks a little more aggressive. If you are doing it for looks alone, pick the look that you like best. If you are concerned about performance, spacers aren't going to add much and past a point will be detrimental.

Last edited by signes; 05-10-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
69
Rep
4,643
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
i would go with 12mm front and 15 rear ... RD and H&R will be a good choice to drop it ... not sure if it will perform better ...
Would the performance be "untouched" if do the springs and 15mm spacers?
If I don't gain any performance, I'm just worried if the M3's handling won't degrade at all if I do these two modifications. Also, the 15mm all around looks so darn good, I don't know if I'll regret with going for anything different...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I thoght most people used 12mm front and 10mm rear spacers?

From what I've read, most M3 owners go with 15mm at the front and 12mm at the back (correct me if I've mistaken). Do you feel that it would seem awkward to go with a higher/lower mm compared to the front/rear? I know that the front can use more mm's than the rear, but.......
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
69
Rep
4,643
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Most are doing 15F/12R from what I have seen. Although Greg posted pics of his car with 12 both front and read and I liked the look. Quite honestly, I don't see a lot of difference between the H&R and RD Sport springs, although the latter looks a little more aggressive. If you are doing it for looks alone, pick the look that you like best. If you are concerned about performance, spacers aren't going to add anything and past a point will be detrimental.
The single most important factor I'm worried about is: Will I hurt the performance of my M3 if I go with 15 mm all around, combined with the RD springs?

I wouldn't think only 15mm would hurt anything, but I feel nervous messing with the excellent stock suspension. You'd probably tell me not to do anything if I feel nervous at all.....But I really, really, really want that aggressive stance without messing up the performance & handling at all. Does anyone feel that I'll degrade the handling or performance of my M3?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #8
E92Baked
Private
E92Baked's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
99
Posts

 
Drives: Alpine white E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

I hear you brotha, i'm on the fence about spacers too. pple are saying it's fine, but i hear mixed reviews. I'm really confused.....
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
69
Rep
4,643
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Baked View Post
I hear you brotha, i'm on the fence about spacers too. pple are saying it's fine, but i hear mixed reviews. I'm really confused.....
+1,001. Why do things have to be so complicated (besides the fact that I make it so complicated)?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #10
E92Baked
Private
E92Baked's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
99
Posts

 
Drives: Alpine white E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

I hear alot about turning radius, and tire wear. i'm planning on 15/15 all around but tom from EAS suggested 18front/15rear. I don't know if I can make a full U-turn without backing up. I live in NYC so roads are tight.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
E92Baked
Private
E92Baked's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
99
Posts

 
Drives: Alpine white E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

The aggressive stance looks amazing. Not sure about lowering the car tho, NYC roads are just awful. Potholes everywhere........
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #12
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
69
Rep
4,643
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

^^I've heard about the turning radius and wearing out the tire issue also, but I don't know what to make of it. I don't know why, but I strongly feel that lowering the car with springs and 15 mm spacers will have no negative affect...Or at least that's what I want to believe. I would be perfectly ok if doesn't help the performance, but if it hurts it....Then I may have to change my mind on the whole thing, despite how badly I want that stunning look.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
tightie's Avatar
United_States
151
Rep
5,768
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 F80 YMB M3
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: los angeles, california.

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.95]
20mm upfront.

12mm in the rear
__________________
15 YMB F80 M3 | iND Painted Front Reflectors, Painted Side Marker Set, Rear Painted Emblem & Front Grill Surround| KW 3 Way Clubsport | Gintani Downpipes | Macht Schnell Stud Conversion Kit | JB4 | Too many wheels to list
*Track Day: December 19 @ Willow Springs Raceway
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #14
niqui
Brigadier General
niqui's Avatar
52
Rep
3,102
Posts

 
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada

iTrader: (7)

i want to put spacers too, but dont want to drop the car...just spacers for a better stance...but have heard that more stones and crap flies up from the wheels and chips the side panels...is this an urban legend/?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #15
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
325
Rep
10,621
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I thoght most people used 12mm front and 10mm rear spacers?
They do on e46 M3s. Most e9X M3s get the 12/15mm treatment.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #16
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
325
Rep
10,621
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
Would the performance be "untouched" if do the springs and 15mm spacers?
If I don't gain any performance, I'm just worried if the M3's handling won't degrade at all if I do these two modifications. Also, the 15mm all around looks so darn good, I don't know if I'll regret with going for anything different...
Quote the opposite - you're actually gaining approximately 1" of additional track width.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
From what I've read, most M3 owners go with 15mm at the front and 12mm at the back (correct me if I've mistaken). Do you feel that it would seem awkward to go with a higher/lower mm compared to the front/rear? I know that the front can use more mm's than the rear, but.......
The 15/12 kits are the most popular, go simply with what you feel is best.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #17
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
69
Rep
4,643
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Quote the opposite - you're actually gaining approximately 1" of additional track width.

The 15/12 kits are the most popular, go simply with what you feel is best.

Definitely, the 15/12 combo is the most popular......But I saw those pics above and it's hard for me to settle with anything less than what they did. What do you think Tom? I'll be running with the same standard 18 inch wheels as the cars in the pics (if that puts me at an advantage compared to the 19's). I really want to go with 15mm all around since it looks so darn good in the above pics. I may give it a shot, but I just hate to do something I'll regret. I want to get it right the first time. I'd really hate to go through additional stress because of a quick decision. I just don't want to alter the stock handling & performance if it's going to affect my M3 in even the slightest "negative" way.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 05:46 AM   #18
MrHarris
yodog
MrHarris's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
5,037
Posts

 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
15F/12R
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #19
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
325
Rep
10,621
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
Definitely, the 15/12 combo is the most popular......But I saw those pics above and it's hard for me to settle with anything less than what they did. What do you think Tom? I'll be running with the same standard 18 inch wheels as the cars in the pics (if that puts me at an advantage compared to the 19's). I really want to go with 15mm all around since it looks so darn good in the above pics. I may give it a shot, but I just hate to do something I'll regret. I want to get it right the first time. I'd really hate to go through additional stress because of a quick decision. I just don't want to alter the stock handling & performance if it's going to affect my M3 in even the slightest "negative" way.
here's a recent install on factory 18s using the 15/10mm setup:





__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #20
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
69
Rep
4,643
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

^^Hmmmm....I guess it's so hard to tell since we're looking at only millimeters. I still can't get over looks of the first pics that I posted . I don't know why, but I strongly feel that if I space the front out by 15mm, then I should space the rear with the same. That way both ends would have changed equally, and I'd know that also. If I do 15/12, I'll always know that the front will always be space a little more than the back.

When I do the spacing, shouldn't it all be evenly modified so that I don't throw off the balance of the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #21
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
325
Rep
10,621
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
^^Hmmmm....I guess it's so hard to tell since we're looking at only millimeters. I still can't get over looks of the first pics that I posted . I don't know why, but I strongly feel that if I space the front out by 15mm, then I should space the rear with the same. That way both ends would have changed equally, and I'd know that also. If I do 15/12, I'll always know that the front will always be space a little more than the back.

When I do the spacing, shouldn't it all be evenly modified so that I don't throw off the balance of the car?
2mm will not throw off the balance, it would be mostly for aesthetics if anything. Suspension and wider tires play more of a factor than the difference between a 12mm and 15mm spacer.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #22
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
69
Rep
4,643
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
2mm will not throw off the balance, it would be mostly for aesthetics if anything. Suspension and wider tires play more of a factor than the difference between a 12mm and 15mm spacer.
One last important question for you Tom:

Will I degrade my M3's stock performance and/or handling if I go with lowering springs and 15mm spacers all around?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST