BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #23
niqui
Brigadier General
 
niqui's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada

Posts: 3,100
iTrader: (7)

saw one at my local gas station, looked nice, clearly asian design, but nice alternative maybe to the altima coupe or g37...id still take the g37 though,
niqui is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2009, 08:37 PM   #24
drvai
Major
 
drvai's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 AW
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: FL

Posts: 1,259
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommartin View Post
960 Thanks for all of the info!

I've heard a lot of good things about the Genesis, and the commercials just got me thinking. Will be interesting if the brand does get spun off to a smaller niche, luxury/performance brand. Let's face it, the M3 blows it out of the water, but I do think its cool how hard the Genesis is trying.
You can't compare this cars!!!!

Just the quality of the manufacturing is enough.

A 328 is a much better car than the genesis.

Performance numbers given are really not very reliable, specially in this type of cars, in where they "do miracles".

It is a much better car than past generations (tiburon).... but you cannot compare it to a european or real Japanese car.
drvai is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2009, 11:55 PM   #25
SoreHead
Captain
 
SoreHead's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario

Posts: 866
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
You might want to strike reasons one and six. For the last few years, Hyundai has been building some pretty damned good cars, and astoundingly good cars for the money. Compared with their direct competitors, they don't make a loser in any category.

And in fact, those of us who don't care a bunch about precious image might even take a close look at that $42K Genesis V8 sedan in favor of a 7 series or S-class. The $50K saved would go far to assuage the Dow Jones blues.
Stop the press. I completely agree 100% with Bruce

Hyundai cars are excellent in their price range and even well beyond it. They make great, reliable, well built cars that (lately) look great and use good quality materials.

Abuse them at your peril. Everyone laughed at the Japanese manufacturers years back. Look where that got us all.

It's not a direct competitor to an M3 by any stretch but wasn't designed to be by Hyundai.

The only question I have is where is the V8 that all the magazines talked about when it was a concept???? It was supposed to be V8 and RWD???
SoreHead is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2009, 11:02 PM   #26
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,313
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I think a better comparison to the Genesis sedan is a 550i. And a 328i coupe for the Genesis coupe.

M3 is in a different league.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #27
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
 
Subw00er's Avatar
 
Drives: 08e92M, 03e46M
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NY

Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to Subw00er
Hey Dont knock Hyundai. I drove that Genesis sedan and OMG thats a nice car. I've driven many high end cars from Merc and lexus and bmw, and its as nice as any of them to drive. Close your eyes and you wouldnt know you werent riding in a mercedes. Actually, it felt better than a merc. They did an amazing job with that car.

I am not sure why the coupe shares the name, to my eyes there is nothing similar in or out. I didnt drive the coupe, but I went to see it and frankly, its not as nice as the pictures - maybe a first there. They didnt try hard enough. It looks like a pretty tiburon.
Subw00er is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #28
SoreHead
Captain
 
SoreHead's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario

Posts: 866
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
I am not sure why the coupe shares the name, to my eyes there is nothing similar in or out. .
It doesn't in Europe. It's called the Hyundai Coupe.
Simple and to the point.
SoreHead is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #29
kevinD
Private
 
Drives: 04 evo 8
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: irving, TX

Posts: 93
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenwichM3 View Post
ok... Genesis is a 6 cylinder, and only traps at 99. The m3 traps almost 112. it wouldn't even be close. Even an e46 m3 could take it down.
my car is only a 4 cylinder and it can trap 130+... never under estimate the 2.0L turbo.
kevinD is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #30
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,813
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Hyundai makes great cars at their selected price points and the Genisis coupe looks to be a top competitor in the sub-$30,000 pony car class, non-V8s. The tuners are going to love this car.

You guys that dismiss Hyundai out of hand don't understand how strong they've become since their first false steps into the US market. They've fixed their issues and now they're making exceptional cars and SUVs that are actually competitive with BMW's lesser offerings. (Directly compare a Sante Fe limited to an X3 and you'll see a very competive car at thoussands less. Assembled in the USA, BTW.)

As for Brembo, they make OEM brakes to manufacturers' specs, whatever those might be. They're able to claim higher margins by putting their name on the brakes, but those are not necessarily better than ours just because the have the Brembo logo.

I DO agree that a new M3 will smoke a stock Genesis Coupe.

Dave
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2009, 09:51 AM   #31
blacknight335
RACER X!!!!!!!
 
blacknight335's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335xi
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: QUEENS, NY

Posts: 317
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to blacknight335
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhk79 View Post
Genesis is a better bang for your buck. It can be made faster and the girls dig it. From a certain angle, it looks better than an Endo.. i mean, Enzo.
alright bro, you should be shot for making such a statment. Better looking then an enzo????? in what world does anyone think that. This car shouldnt even be compared to an m3 in any way possible. If you drag these two cars the guy in the m3 would have to give the genesis a 10 sec head start to even be next to the m3. So please keep ferrari out of this waste of time topic!!! they are a whole different monster...
blacknight335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #32
johnhk79
Major
 
johnhk79's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,124
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommartin View Post
johnhk79

I'm not sure if I agree that it looks better than an Enzo. Ferraris have such distinctive styling in my opinion, and looking at a Genesis the styling doesn't say individual to me as nice as it is.

genro757
lol.
did you really take my comment seriously? i guess next time i will have to write in italics, followed by a disclaimer for those who can't detect sarcasm.



Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
The only question I have is where is the V8 that all the magazines talked about when it was a concept???? It was supposed to be V8 and RWD???
the V8 is in the sedan.. it is RWD.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
Hey Dont knock Hyundai. I drove that Genesis sedan and OMG thats a nice car. I've driven many high end cars from Merc and lexus and bmw, and its as nice as any of them to drive. Close your eyes and you wouldnt know you werent riding in a mercedes. Actually, it felt better than a merc. They did an amazing job with that car.

I am not sure why the coupe shares the name, to my eyes there is nothing similar in or out. I didnt drive the coupe, but I went to see it and frankly, its not as nice as the pictures - maybe a first there. They didnt try hard enough. It looks like a pretty tiburon.
for the Genesis coupe, for $25 to $30k (depending on 2.0T or 3.8 V6), you can have a car that comes with OEM Brembo brakes, LSD, good RWD power.. with a 10 yr/100k warranty. for similar options, you'd have to spend $7k more on a 370Z ($37k) but this has 30~ more hp; the G37 will likely cost more.

i'd still get the 370z.. nissan is more proven, looks MUCH better, stronger aftermarket, and i'm shallow enough to spend extra for a stronger brand name.

Hyundai wants to possibly make Genesis it's own brand.. similar to what Toyota has with Lexus/Scion.



Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight335 View Post
alright bro, you should be shot for making such a statment. Better looking then an enzo????? in what world does anyone think that. This car shouldnt even be compared to an m3 in any way possible. If you drag these two cars the guy in the m3 would have to give the genesis a 10 sec head start to even be next to the m3. So please keep ferrari out of this waste of time topic!!! they are a whole different monster...
you should be shot for taking my comment seriously. no sh!t both cars are different.. the M3 wins all the time (every M3.. except maybe the E36 lol). comparing a car that starts at $22k to one that costs about 2.5 times more is stupid to begin with.
johnhk79 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #33
wimpwgn
Private
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Diamond Bar, CA

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

So, you guys are comparing a derby winner to a mule?
wimpwgn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #34
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
335 > Genisis > M3

This reminds me when i was car shopping.. My options were a LP560 or a M3.. i was like meh, fuck it M3 > *.*
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2009, 04:45 PM   #35
spearfisher
Lieutenant
 
spearfisher's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 ZO6
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: FL

Posts: 409
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcar33 View Post
1.) Its a hyundai
2.) Its slower
3.) Its not as nice
4.) It looks boring
5.) It deffinitely is not a pussy magnet
6.) ITS A HYUNDAI


exactly
spearfisher is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #36
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,313
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
You guys that dismiss Hyundai out of hand don't understand how strong they've become since their first false steps into the US market. They've fixed their issues and now they're making exceptional cars and SUVs that are actually competitive with BMW's lesser offerings. (Directly compare a Sante Fe limited to an X3 and you'll see a very competive car at thoussands less. Assembled in the USA, BTW.)
Isn't the X3 assembled in the US?

Yeah, Hyundai has come a long way but look where they came from? From making the worst pieces of sh1ts on the market to being respectable.

Yes, they make decent cars at a really good price. If you are comparing window stickers, Hyundai > BMW at every level. That will win over a lot of people. But Hyundai is still unproven to me. Their success has only been short term. I have yet to see the car company really advance beyond economy transportation. Only time will tell.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2009, 09:43 PM   #37
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,813
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Yes, they make decent cars at a really good price. If you are comparing window stickers, Hyundai > BMW at every level. That will win over a lot of people. But Hyundai is still unproven to me. Their success has only been short term. I have yet to see the car company really advance beyond economy transportation. Only time will tell.

You should go drive a Sante Fe Limited or an Azera Limited. It'll be clear to you. Hyundai is making great cars and SUVs.

Dave
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2009, 11:11 PM   #38
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,313
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
You should go drive a Sante Fe Limited or an Azera Limited. It'll be clear to you. Hyundai is making great cars and SUVs.

Dave
Great now...how about 5-6 years from now?
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #39
penny31
Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: So CAL, L.a

Posts: 572
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnynsc View Post
Tell me you are not serious about this comparison, are you?
seriously, why would u even make this thread. u disgrace the m3 by even comparing the two. :s lap::sla p:
__________________
e92 m3 Melbourne Red 6 speed

penny31 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2009, 08:19 AM   #40
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,813
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Great now...how about 5-6 years from now?
They're ready now. Look at JD Powers and the other customer survey data. The "issues" you're concerned about happened 20-years ago.

Dave
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #41
wimpwgn
Private
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Diamond Bar, CA

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
They're ready now. Look at JD Powers and the other customer survey data. The "issues" you're concerned about happened 20-years ago.

Dave
Would you buy it with your own money?
wimpwgn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #42
SoreHead
Captain
 
SoreHead's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario

Posts: 866
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpwgn View Post
Would you buy it with your own money?
I'd buy the Santa Fe over a X3 without having to give it a second thought.
My brother has owned the new Santa Fe in Ireland for over 2 years now without a single bit of trouble. When my M3 was in getting serviced they gave me an X3 and I can honestly say that it has been years since I've been in a car with worse quality plastics and materials on the inside. What a bucket of crap. The santa fe on the other hand has nice soft touch plastics (does that sound a little pervie to anyone else?) and looks more than decent. In my opinion the outside of the Santa Fe is so much better looking than the X3 it's not even funny although visuals are seriously personal taste so I don't really get into the whole looks good/ is ugly debates on any car.

There is nothing wrong with what Hyundai put out now. And on top of that they give a hell of a better guarantee than most others.

People need to get past old reputations and get over the badge snobbery. Hyundai make good, well built and excellent value cars. That's a fact that cannot be denied. Right now I can indulge myself a bit and Hyundai don't make a competitor for the M3 or other cars I would buy so it doesn't affect me but if they ever do I would definitely take a look.
SoreHead is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #43
wimpwgn
Private
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Diamond Bar, CA

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
I'd buy the Santa Fe over a X3 without having to give it a second thought.
My brother has owned the new Santa Fe in Ireland for over 2 years now without a single bit of trouble. When my M3 was in getting serviced they gave me an X3 and I can honestly say that it has been years since I've been in a car with worse quality plastics and materials on the inside. What a bucket of crap. The santa fe on the other hand has nice soft touch plastics (does that sound a little pervie to anyone else?) and looks more than decent. In my opinion the outside of the Santa Fe is so much better looking than the X3 it's not even funny although visuals are seriously personal taste so I don't really get into the whole looks good/ is ugly debates on any car.

There is nothing wrong with what Hyundai put out now. And on top of that they give a hell of a better guarantee than most others.

People need to get past old reputations and get over the badge snobbery. Hyundai make good, well built and excellent value cars. That's a fact that cannot be denied. Right now I can indulge myself a bit and Hyundai don't make a competitor for the M3 or other cars I would buy so it doesn't affect me but if they ever do I would definitely take a look.
Would you buy a Genesis over M3? That's what this thread is on about.
wimpwgn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #44
SoreHead
Captain
 
SoreHead's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario

Posts: 866
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpwgn View Post
Would you buy a Genesis over M3? That's what this thread is on about.
Correct. That was what the thread was about but at the end it had changed to bigjae saying that Hyundai were crap at some point so they wouldn't trust that their newer cars would be any good for at least 5 years. I was commenting on that and not the original post. I'm flexible like that.

I even quoted the part I was commenting on.

You could also answer your own question with my last line.
SoreHead is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST