BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

05-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #23
niqui
Brigadier General

Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

saw one at my local gas station, looked nice, clearly asian design, but nice alternative maybe to the altima coupe or g37...id still take the g37 though,
      05-17-2009, 08:37 PM   #24
drvai
Major

Drives: E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommartin View Post
960 Thanks for all of the info!

I've heard a lot of good things about the Genesis, and the commercials just got me thinking. Will be interesting if the brand does get spun off to a smaller niche, luxury/performance brand. Let's face it, the M3 blows it out of the water, but I do think its cool how hard the Genesis is trying.
You can't compare this cars!!!!

Just the quality of the manufacturing is enough.

A 328 is a much better car than the genesis.

Performance numbers given are really not very reliable, specially in this type of cars, in where they "do miracles".

It is a much better car than past generations (tiburon).... but you cannot compare it to a european or real Japanese car.
drvai is offline   United_States
      05-17-2009, 11:55 PM   #25
SoreHead
Captain

Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
You might want to strike reasons one and six. For the last few years, Hyundai has been building some pretty damned good cars, and astoundingly good cars for the money. Compared with their direct competitors, they don't make a loser in any category.

And in fact, those of us who don't care a bunch about precious image might even take a close look at that $42K Genesis V8 sedan in favor of a 7 series or S-class. The $50K saved would go far to assuage the Dow Jones blues.
Stop the press. I completely agree 100% with Bruce

Hyundai cars are excellent in their price range and even well beyond it. They make great, reliable, well built cars that (lately) look great and use good quality materials.

Abuse them at your peril. Everyone laughed at the Japanese manufacturers years back. Look where that got us all.

It's not a direct competitor to an M3 by any stretch but wasn't designed to be by Hyundai.

The only question I have is where is the V8 that all the magazines talked about when it was a concept???? It was supposed to be V8 and RWD???
SoreHead is offline   Canada
      05-18-2009, 11:02 PM   #26
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily

Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I think a better comparison to the Genesis sedan is a 550i. And a 328i coupe for the Genesis coupe.

M3 is in a different league.

Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
      05-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #27
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch

Drives: 08e92M, 03e46M

Send a message via AIM to Subw00er
Hey Dont knock Hyundai. I drove that Genesis sedan and OMG thats a nice car. I've driven many high end cars from Merc and lexus and bmw, and its as nice as any of them to drive. Close your eyes and you wouldnt know you werent riding in a mercedes. Actually, it felt better than a merc. They did an amazing job with that car.

I am not sure why the coupe shares the name, to my eyes there is nothing similar in or out. I didnt drive the coupe, but I went to see it and frankly, its not as nice as the pictures - maybe a first there. They didnt try hard enough. It looks like a pretty tiburon.
Subw00er is offline   United_States
      05-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #28
SoreHead
Captain

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
I am not sure why the coupe shares the name, to my eyes there is nothing similar in or out. .
It doesn't in Europe. It's called the Hyundai Coupe.
Simple and to the point.
      05-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #29
kevinD
Private

Drives: 04 evo 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenwichM3 View Post
ok... Genesis is a 6 cylinder, and only traps at 99. The m3 traps almost 112. it wouldn't even be close. Even an e46 m3 could take it down.
my car is only a 4 cylinder and it can trap 130+... never under estimate the 2.0L turbo.
      05-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #30
dcstep
Brigadier General

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Hyundai makes great cars at their selected price points and the Genisis coupe looks to be a top competitor in the sub-$30,000 pony car class, non-V8s. The tuners are going to love this car.

You guys that dismiss Hyundai out of hand don't understand how strong they've become since their first false steps into the US market. They've fixed their issues and now they're making exceptional cars and SUVs that are actually competitive with BMW's lesser offerings. (Directly compare a Sante Fe limited to an X3 and you'll see a very competive car at thoussands less. Assembled in the USA, BTW.)

As for Brembo, they make OEM brakes to manufacturers' specs, whatever those might be. They're able to claim higher margins by putting their name on the brakes, but those are not necessarily better than ours just because the have the Brembo logo.

I DO agree that a new M3 will smoke a stock Genesis Coupe.

Dave
      05-19-2009, 09:51 AM   #31
blacknight335
RACER X!!!!!!!

Drives: E90 335xi

Send a message via AIM to blacknight335
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhk79 View Post
Genesis is a better bang for your buck. It can be made faster and the girls dig it. From a certain angle, it looks better than an Endo.. i mean, Enzo.
alright bro, you should be shot for making such a statment. Better looking then an enzo????? in what world does anyone think that. This car shouldnt even be compared to an m3 in any way possible. If you drag these two cars the guy in the m3 would have to give the genesis a 10 sec head start to even be next to the m3. So please keep ferrari out of this waste of time topic!!! they are a whole different monster...
blacknight335 is offline   United_States
      05-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #32
johnhk79
Major

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommartin View Post
johnhk79

I'm not sure if I agree that it looks better than an Enzo. Ferraris have such distinctive styling in my opinion, and looking at a Genesis the styling doesn't say individual to me as nice as it is.

genro757
lol.
did you really take my comment seriously? i guess next time i will have to write in italics, followed by a disclaimer for those who can't detect sarcasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
The only question I have is where is the V8 that all the magazines talked about when it was a concept???? It was supposed to be V8 and RWD???
the V8 is in the sedan.. it is RWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
Hey Dont knock Hyundai. I drove that Genesis sedan and OMG thats a nice car. I've driven many high end cars from Merc and lexus and bmw, and its as nice as any of them to drive. Close your eyes and you wouldnt know you werent riding in a mercedes. Actually, it felt better than a merc. They did an amazing job with that car.

I am not sure why the coupe shares the name, to my eyes there is nothing similar in or out. I didnt drive the coupe, but I went to see it and frankly, its not as nice as the pictures - maybe a first there. They didnt try hard enough. It looks like a pretty tiburon.
for the Genesis coupe, for $25 to $30k (depending on 2.0T or 3.8 V6), you can have a car that comes with OEM Brembo brakes, LSD, good RWD power.. with a 10 yr/100k warranty. for similar options, you'd have to spend $7k more on a 370Z ($37k) but this has 30~ more hp; the G37 will likely cost more.

i'd still get the 370z.. nissan is more proven, looks MUCH better, stronger aftermarket, and i'm shallow enough to spend extra for a stronger brand name.

Hyundai wants to possibly make Genesis it's own brand.. similar to what Toyota has with Lexus/Scion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight335 View Post
alright bro, you should be shot for making such a statment. Better looking then an enzo????? in what world does anyone think that. This car shouldnt even be compared to an m3 in any way possible. If you drag these two cars the guy in the m3 would have to give the genesis a 10 sec head start to even be next to the m3. So please keep ferrari out of this waste of time topic!!! they are a whole different monster...
you should be shot for taking my comment seriously. no sh!t both cars are different.. the M3 wins all the time (every M3.. except maybe the E36 lol). comparing a car that starts at $22k to one that costs about 2.5 times more is stupid to begin with.
      05-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #33
wimpwgn
Private

Drives: 08 E90 M3

So, you guys are comparing a derby winner to a mule?
      05-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #34
!Xoible
Banned

Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
335 > Genisis > M3

This reminds me when i was car shopping.. My options were a LP560 or a M3.. i was like meh, fuck it M3 > *.*
!Xoible is offline   United_States
      05-19-2009, 04:45 PM   #35
spearfisher
Lieutenant

Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcar33 View Post
1.) Its a hyundai
2.) Its slower
3.) Its not as nice
4.) It looks boring
5.) It deffinitely is not a pussy magnet
6.) ITS A HYUNDAI

exactly
      05-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #36
bigjae1976

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
You guys that dismiss Hyundai out of hand don't understand how strong they've become since their first false steps into the US market. They've fixed their issues and now they're making exceptional cars and SUVs that are actually competitive with BMW's lesser offerings. (Directly compare a Sante Fe limited to an X3 and you'll see a very competive car at thoussands less. Assembled in the USA, BTW.)
Isn't the X3 assembled in the US?

Yeah, Hyundai has come a long way but look where they came from? From making the worst pieces of sh1ts on the market to being respectable.

Yes, they make decent cars at a really good price. If you are comparing window stickers, Hyundai > BMW at every level. That will win over a lot of people. But Hyundai is still unproven to me. Their success has only been short term. I have yet to see the car company really advance beyond economy transportation. Only time will tell.

05-19-2009, 09:43 PM   #37
dcstep
Brigadier General

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Yes, they make decent cars at a really good price. If you are comparing window stickers, Hyundai > BMW at every level. That will win over a lot of people. But Hyundai is still unproven to me. Their success has only been short term. I have yet to see the car company really advance beyond economy transportation. Only time will tell.

You should go drive a Sante Fe Limited or an Azera Limited. It'll be clear to you. Hyundai is making great cars and SUVs.

Dave
      05-19-2009, 11:11 PM   #38
bigjae1976

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
You should go drive a Sante Fe Limited or an Azera Limited. It'll be clear to you. Hyundai is making great cars and SUVs.

Dave
Great now...how about 5-6 years from now?

05-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #39
penny31
Lieutenant

Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnynsc View Post
Tell me you are not serious about this comparison, are you?
seriously, why would u even make this thread. u disgrace the m3 by even comparing the two. :s lap::sla p:

05-20-2009, 08:19 AM   #40
dcstep
Brigadier General

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Great now...how about 5-6 years from now?
They're ready now. Look at JD Powers and the other customer survey data. The "issues" you're concerned about happened 20-years ago.

Dave
      05-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #41
wimpwgn
Private

Quote:
They're ready now. Look at JD Powers and the other customer survey data. The "issues" you're concerned about happened 20-years ago.

Dave
Would you buy it with your own money?
      05-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #42
SoreHead
Captain

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpwgn View Post
Would you buy it with your own money?
I'd buy the Santa Fe over a X3 without having to give it a second thought.
My brother has owned the new Santa Fe in Ireland for over 2 years now without a single bit of trouble. When my M3 was in getting serviced they gave me an X3 and I can honestly say that it has been years since I've been in a car with worse quality plastics and materials on the inside. What a bucket of crap. The santa fe on the other hand has nice soft touch plastics (does that sound a little pervie to anyone else?) and looks more than decent. In my opinion the outside of the Santa Fe is so much better looking than the X3 it's not even funny although visuals are seriously personal taste so I don't really get into the whole looks good/ is ugly debates on any car.

There is nothing wrong with what Hyundai put out now. And on top of that they give a hell of a better guarantee than most others.

People need to get past old reputations and get over the badge snobbery. Hyundai make good, well built and excellent value cars. That's a fact that cannot be denied. Right now I can indulge myself a bit and Hyundai don't make a competitor for the M3 or other cars I would buy so it doesn't affect me but if they ever do I would definitely take a look.
      05-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #43
wimpwgn
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
I'd buy the Santa Fe over a X3 without having to give it a second thought.
My brother has owned the new Santa Fe in Ireland for over 2 years now without a single bit of trouble. When my M3 was in getting serviced they gave me an X3 and I can honestly say that it has been years since I've been in a car with worse quality plastics and materials on the inside. What a bucket of crap. The santa fe on the other hand has nice soft touch plastics (does that sound a little pervie to anyone else?) and looks more than decent. In my opinion the outside of the Santa Fe is so much better looking than the X3 it's not even funny although visuals are seriously personal taste so I don't really get into the whole looks good/ is ugly debates on any car.

There is nothing wrong with what Hyundai put out now. And on top of that they give a hell of a better guarantee than most others.

People need to get past old reputations and get over the badge snobbery. Hyundai make good, well built and excellent value cars. That's a fact that cannot be denied. Right now I can indulge myself a bit and Hyundai don't make a competitor for the M3 or other cars I would buy so it doesn't affect me but if they ever do I would definitely take a look.
Would you buy a Genesis over M3? That's what this thread is on about.
      05-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #44
SoreHead
Captain

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpwgn View Post
Would you buy a Genesis over M3? That's what this thread is on about.
Correct. That was what the thread was about but at the end it had changed to bigjae saying that Hyundai were crap at some point so they wouldn't trust that their newer cars would be any good for at least 5 years. I was commenting on that and not the original post. I'm flexible like that.

I even quoted the part I was commenting on.

You could also answer your own question with my last line.