BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

04-28-2009, 04:37 AM   #1
m3larson
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 Cayenne S 1997 M3 Track C

Good track tire alternative?? Suggestions..

People give there suggestions / comments on track tire options besides the R1's. Looking for a tire that is inexpensive and can be driven on the road as most tracks are 150 miles away.
The sport cups look nice but are big $$$. We are going to run through these tires so any comments on cheaper tires?
      04-28-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
dawgdog
Colonel

Drives: 2010 Porsche GT3RS

I talked to an instructor for the Alfa club about this and he recommended the Falken Azenis (sp?) - RT615. Another inexpensive tire he felt was very good was Nitto NT01, but this he said is more of a track tire.
AW on Fox Red Extended, Alum trim, ZPP, ZTP, DCT, 19" wheels, Heated front seats, HD radio, Sat radio, I-pod & usb, Premium sound, AP racing BBK, 18 Volk Racing TE 37s, Akrapovic Evolution exhaust, AST suspension
      04-28-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
consolidated
Major

Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
Nitto NT-01s, they were on sale on Ebay from Discount Tire for $208/223 in 245/40/18 and 275/40/18. I'll drive up to 475 miles round trip to the track with them.

I've gone thru 6 sets, stickier as they get bald, like RA-1s. For something with a few more sipes try Toyo R888, but they're more money, don't last as long and not really any faster.

Also look at the new Bridgestone RE-11, more streetable and longer lasting than those above, tread wear rating of 180 I believe. I talked to a Grassroots Motorsports test driver for an upcoming tire shootout and he had very good things to say about them.
      04-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor

Drives: 740i

Yokohama Advan A048's or Michelin Pilot Sport Cups are streetable track tires.

Bridgestone RE11, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec would be similar to the Falken 615, street tires that are also track-capable.

I read that Grassroots Motorsports article and the Bridgestones did do very well. The Kumho Ecsta XS had the fastest time, but the Bridgestone was more consistent.

The Dunlop is really good, although it faired poorly in the Grassroots test because it did not come in the ideal size for that test. They used a narrower width that wasn't optimal. It was still faster than the Falken, but slower than the Kumho and Bridgestone.

This is all very general, I don't know which sizes you are actually using.

To credit the forum, click through one of the banners in my signature and the top of the page, or call me direct at 877.522.8473 ext 660.
Email:ben@tirerack.com
      04-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
m3larson
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 Cayenne S 1997 M3 Track C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
Yokohama Advan A048's or Michelin Pilot Sport Cups are streetable track tires.

Bridgestone RE11, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec would be similar to the Falken 615, street tires that are also track-capable.

I read that Grassroots Motorsports article and the Bridgestones did do very well. The Kumho Ecsta XS had the fastest time, but the Bridgestone was more consistent.

The Dunlop is really good, although it faired poorly in the Grassroots test because it did not come in the ideal size for that test. They used a narrower width that wasn't optimal. It was still faster than the Falken, but slower than the Kumho and Bridgestone.

This is all very general, I don't know which sizes you are actually using.
Thanks seems like a good start. Looks like $245 and over is going to be the norm.