BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #45
BMW M Power Mexico
Second Lieutenant
BMW M Power Mexico's Avatar
Mexico
11
Rep
221
Posts

 
Drives: '05 E46 M3, '08 E60 M5, '11 1M
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3larson View Post
BMW M Power - I see you had the front camber changed to -1.4. Did you change the rear camber? Is the rear adjustable? Also, are you running your stocks again and how is the wear on those not that you changed it?
I haven't used the car enough after the track to notice any wear problems.

Don't take too seriously my camber adjustments. I take the car to a good shop that prepares a lot of cars for the track club I attend and a few others. However, their experience is much more extensive with Porsches than with BMWs.

What I did is tell them to go as far as they could both front and rear. When I picked up the car they said they could get -1.4 front and about -2 rear. But when they gave me the computer report it had the alignemnts close to stock so frankly I have no reliable info on what they really did.

I will monitor wear and report back here.

However, tire wear at the track did seem pretty even, night & day compared to my previous run on stock tires & alignment.
__________________
BMW Car Club de México
¡Estás Invitado!
http://bmwclub.org.mx
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #46
FrenchBoy
Major
FrenchBoy's Avatar
France
42
Rep
1,376
Posts

 
Drives: '09 E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M Power Mexico View Post
Regarding braking, had Hawk HT-10s in front and stock pads on the rear + ecs tuning steel lines + Motul RBF 600 fluid. No fade, no brake balance issues, nothing. Simply great.
Where did you buy the HT-10 pads for the M3?

Also, I have used HP Plus in the past. How do HT-10 compare to the HP Plus?

Thanks,
__________________

2009 E90 M3 | SG | FR | 6Speed | Akrapovic Evo | JRZ RS1 | StopTech Trophy | Cantrell Brake Ducts
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #47
wea
Private
6
Rep
74
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayman R
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (2)

Thank you for a great report, BMW M Power Mexico.

Happy Cinco de Mayo, Amigo!
__________________
Favorite Quote on Supercars: "They are designed to melt ice caps, kill the poor, poison the water table, destroy the ozone layer, decimate indigenous wildlife, recapture the Falkland islands, and turn the entire third world into a huge uninhabitable desert... but only after they nicked all the oil." Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear 05x02 @ 48:55.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #48
BMW M Power Mexico
Second Lieutenant
BMW M Power Mexico's Avatar
Mexico
11
Rep
221
Posts

 
Drives: '05 E46 M3, '08 E60 M5, '11 1M
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post
Where did you buy the HT-10 pads for the M3?

Also, I have used HP Plus in the past. How do HT-10 compare to the HP Plus?

Thanks,
I got them from Turner: www.turnermotorsports.com

I have never used HP Plus in the past, so I couldn't compare. I used to run Cool Willies previously on my E46.

The HT-10s worked very well. I had no fade or braking issues.
__________________
BMW Car Club de México
¡Estás Invitado!
http://bmwclub.org.mx
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #49
M3V8Driver
Captain
M3V8Driver's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
727
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda///Monic View Post
I am purchasing a set in 18x10 and run 275/35/28 r comps
But with my aggressive coilover and track alignment with camber at -2.2-2.5 ish setting will the wheels still clear the strut?
looks like everyone in this thread don't have any suspension mods and run the wheel and tire set stock
Shouldn't this be a non issue since our M3s utilize a McPherson type strut up front? I mean, doesn't the strut assembly move with the hub/wheel assembly? So if you only have a 1/4" clearance at -1 degree camber, then shouldn't you still have 1/4" clearance at -2 degree camber? I think the poster is thinking about a double A-arm front suspension where the arms move in and out, but not the shock, thus changing tire/wheel clearance. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I am new to bimmers. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 11:12 PM   #50
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Dascamel's Avatar
20
Rep
1,662
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bakersfield, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3V8Driver View Post
Shouldn't this be a non issue since our M3s utilize a McPherson type strut up front? I mean, doesn't the strut assembly move with the hub/wheel assembly? So if you only have a 1/4" clearance at -1 degree camber, then shouldn't you still have 1/4" clearance at -2 degree camber? I think the poster is thinking about a double A-arm front suspension where the arms move in and out, but not the shock, thus changing tire/wheel clearance. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I am new to bimmers. Thanks.
+1

Only thing I can think of the tire changing size due to temp or load.
__________________
2008 E92 M3 Jerez Black,DCT,Fox Red ext,Prem,Tech,19", ipod/usb, CF roof and trim
2010 E91 328i Space Gray,Black int, M sport, most options
2007 Montego Blue 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 08:22 AM   #51
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
136
Rep
7,640
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Front suspension & clearances to tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3V8Driver View Post
Shouldn't this be a non issue since our M3s utilize a McPherson type strut up front? I mean, doesn't the strut assembly move with the hub/wheel assembly? So if you only have a 1/4" clearance at -1 degree camber, then shouldn't you still have 1/4" clearance at -2 degree camber? I think the poster is thinking about a double A-arm front suspension where the arms move in and out, but not the shock, thus changing tire/wheel clearance. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I am new to bimmers. Thanks.
You are correct.
Attached Images
   
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #52
jml
Captain
jml's Avatar
17
Rep
986
Posts

 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (2)

I've been running a square 18x9.5 ET35 MT1 (10mm front, 12mm rear spacers) with 275 NT01 rubber for a few DEs now. Camber is maxed out f1.4, r2.0. Outside edge tire wear is an issue on both the front and rear, but much worse on the front. The car is perfectly balanced, much better so that my tweaked out moton setup on my old E46. It's nearly as fast with simply rcomps and race pads. Last weekend we were running TWS clockwise; I was hitting the speed governor at the end of the straight and the brakes (HT10 front, DS2500 rear) effortlessly hauled the car back down to 80 lap after lap. Traqmate is not yet in the car, but I'm guessing, based on what a some corner-station friends were telling me, I was in the 1:57-58 range. Not bad for a car with a baby seat in the back, but still a few seconds off the pace of a well setup E46.

There is a lot of talk of a staggered setup in this thread. My recommendation is to stick with a square setup and use spacers to trim. Being able to rotate tires front to rear will give you a lot more life out of your tires. I'm going to experiment with a 10" setup and 285/295 width rubber soon. This car really needs more rubber to compensate for the additional 250lbs of weight. It also needs a lot more neg camber in the front to keep it from shredding tires. It's not a grip issue like it was on the E46 where you needed a lot of neg. camber to help dial out some understeer. The E9X has plenty of front end grip, but it costs about $50 per turn on the track in rubber
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 01:42 AM   #53
Hellride
Private
Hellride's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
90
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Jet Black
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post
Looks good. I am looking forward to your track report.

Why did you decide on 265/35, 18x9 instead of 275/35, 18x10 for the front?
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267498
__________________
08 E92 DCT31.1 | JTBLK/BLK/CARBON LEATHER | CF ROOF | TP | PP | 18 | MEDIUM CERAMIC TINT | HARDWIRE V1
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #54
BarryC
Major
United_States
42
Rep
1,160
Posts

 
Drives: '13 LRP M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kernersville NC

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
I've been running a square 18x9.5 ET35 MT1 (10mm front, 12mm rear spacers) with 275 NT01 rubber for a few DEs now. Camber is maxed out f1.4, r2.0. Outside edge tire wear is an issue on both the front and rear, but much worse on the front. The car is perfectly balanced, much better so that my tweaked out moton setup on my old E46. It's nearly as fast with simply rcomps and race pads. Last weekend we were running TWS clockwise; I was hitting the speed governor at the end of the straight and the brakes (HT10 front, DS2500 rear) effortlessly hauled the car back down to 80 lap after lap. Traqmate is not yet in the car, but I'm guessing, based on what a some corner-station friends were telling me, I was in the 1:57-58 range. Not bad for a car with a baby seat in the back, but still a few seconds off the pace of a well setup E46.

There is a lot of talk of a staggered setup in this thread. My recommendation is to stick with a square setup and use spacers to trim. Being able to rotate tires front to rear will give you a lot more life out of your tires. I'm going to experiment with a 10" setup and 285/295 width rubber soon. This car really needs more rubber to compensate for the additional 250lbs of weight. It also needs a lot more neg camber in the front to keep it from shredding tires. It's not a grip issue like it was on the E46 where you needed a lot of neg. camber to help dial out some understeer. The E9X has plenty of front end grip, but it costs about $50 per turn on the track in rubber

BTW - how do you like the NT01's? I just ordered a set today.

Thx!
BC
__________________
2014 M5
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 09:26 PM   #55
jml
Captain
jml's Avatar
17
Rep
986
Posts

 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (2)

They are probably the best value out there right now. Lots of grip and no heat cycling issues. If you take care of them, they will last 3-4 DE days. You'll need to flip (inside->outside) them after about 2 days. Running them at 40-42psi (after a cool down lap back in the paddock) helps with the outside edge wear.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST