BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
 
Radiation Joe's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macungie PA

Posts: 2,749
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
Signed up for WGI on May 9-10

With Genesee Chapter of BMWCCA. Who else is going?

Can't wait any longer for the Performance Friction pads (still no date for delivery), so I called Craig at Rennstore.com for the Pagid RS-19s. Bad timing. He's out and is waiting for more to come it. Nice guy, though. We think he'll have some to ship out in time.

WGI should be interesting in the e90. In the e46 with PSCs I could run flat out through 2, 3 and 4. With this car, I'm sure I'll have to learn a little finesse to get through there without a blue stripe.
Radiation Joe is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

I've been thinking about this one for a long time. My parents are coming into town for a visit on the 8th. Otherwise, I'd be there. Just maybe I can find something else for them to do for a couple of days...

I'm also signed up for the 15th @ LRP.

If Craig can't deliver, call Mark up, the guy I mentioned in PM.

If I show up at WGI, I'm gonna measure your rotor temps!
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York

Posts: 421
iTrader: (4)

I instructed at that event last year...I am hoping to make it my first outing in the e90.
TUNEDM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

May 8-9 no go for me. I signed up with NASA on May 4-5 instead...
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

What's a clean&cheap place to stay for 2 nights in Watkins Glen?
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
tszene
Private First Class
 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Philadelphia

Posts: 181
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
With Genesee Chapter of BMWCCA. Who else is going?

Can't wait any longer for the Performance Friction pads (still no date for delivery), so I called Craig at Rennstore.com for the Pagid RS-19s. Bad timing. He's out and is waiting for more to come it. Nice guy, though. We think he'll have some to ship out in time.

WGI should be interesting in the e90. In the e46 with PSCs I could run flat out through 2, 3 and 4. With this car, I'm sure I'll have to learn a little finesse to get through there without a blue stripe.
I just got back from a two day event and i didnt have the guts to go flat out on 2, but 3 and 4 are doable. Are you running the full course?
We did the full on day one and the short on day 2. Have Fun!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
What's a clean&cheap place to stay for 2 nights in Watkins Glen?
Lucid,
I always stay at the Falls Motel in Montour Falls. $95 for the night. its nice and clean. however that's the only place i tried so far.
Also, The highest temp on the brakes were 550F for me on the fronts.
best time for the full course 2:22.66
short course 1:31.06

Tamas
tszene is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
 
Subw00er's Avatar
 
Drives: 08e92M, 03e46M
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NY

Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to Subw00er
My best (recorded) time at WGI (long) was a 2:15.811. (In my c5z06) Going back in the M3 is tempting!

I dont think there are any decent hotels in Watkins Glen. I normally stay at the Country Inn & Suites in Horseheads (105 E. Mall Road, Horseheads NY 14845 Reservations: (800) 456-4000). Its a 25min drive in the AM, but the clean comfy beds and jacuzzi after a hard day of racing are well worth it. Tell them you are there on business and you'll get a discount likely.
Subw00er is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2009, 07:23 AM   #8
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tszene View Post
Lucid,
I always stay at the Falls Motel in Montour Falls. $95 for the night. its nice and clean. however that's the only place i tried so far.
Also, The highest temp on the brakes were 550F for me on the fronts.
best time for the full course 2:22.66
short course 1:31.06

Tamas
Thanks for the hotel info.

You are running the 380mm Brembo kit, right? Temp seems rather low at <300C. When did you make the measurement? How long after the session? How much time in between sessions and after which session? What kind of instrument?

I'll report numbers on the stock system later next week. I don't know what course NASA will be running yet.
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2009, 07:26 AM   #9
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
My best (recorded) time at WGI (long) was a 2:15.811. (In my c5z06) Going back in the M3 is tempting!

I dont think there are any decent hotels in Watkins Glen. I normally stay at the Country Inn & Suites in Horseheads (105 E. Mall Road, Horseheads NY 14845 Reservations: (800) 456-4000). Its a 25min drive in the AM, but the clean comfy beds and jacuzzi after a hard day of racing are well worth it. Tell them you are there on business and you'll get a discount likely.
Thanks. I'll look into it, but it sounds like it won't be cheap.
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #10
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
 
Subw00er's Avatar
 
Drives: 08e92M, 03e46M
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NY

Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to Subw00er
I think it was $100-150 last time I stayed. Maybe try travelocity or places like that to get good a good price?!
Subw00er is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #11
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
I think it was $100-150 last time I stayed. Maybe try travelocity or places like that to get good a good price?!
Yeah, that was ~120. I found a newly remodeled motel. Senaca Clipper Inn. The rooms/bathrooms are brand new and clean. Free internet (I'm on it now!). $65.
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2009, 07:35 AM   #12
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
 
Radiation Joe's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macungie PA

Posts: 2,749
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
I'm staying at the Seneca Lodge. I have to have dinner and a drink (or more) in the bar.


Radiation Joe is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #13
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
I'm staying at the Seneca Lodge. I have to have dinner and a drink (or more) in the bar.
I have to go there tonight!

P.S. I'll do write up on the day with video shortly. I think I put in something like a 2:15 lap in the final session (based on the iDrive stopwatch), but not sure yet--video shows the same thing but will get the details. It is possible to go flat out through the esses in 4th, but man, it doesn't feel all that planted. Brakes were cooked (rotor temp at 610C in the paddock after session; RS19s gone)...
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #14
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot
 
BRDHNTR's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 BMW M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Waverly, PA

Posts: 549
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
I will be there. I saw that there will be another e9X M3 in Group D as this is my first track day. Radiation Joe, I see that there is only one 2009 M3. I take it that you are car #5 in Group A? I would love some advice after you complete your first session.
BTW I will be car #55
__________________
"The laws of physics cannot be repealed, even with DSC." - BMW Owner's Manual

BRDHNTR is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #15
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
 
Radiation Joe's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macungie PA

Posts: 2,749
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDHNTR View Post
I will be there. I saw that there will be another e9X M3 in Group D as this is my first track day. Radiation Joe, I see that there is only one 2009 M3. I take it that you are car #5 in Group A? I would love some advice after you complete your first session.
BTW I will be car #55
I'll look you up.

BTW, You quoted the instructor numbers. You're 11D and I'm 12A. I'm sure you are going to have a great time. You'll make mistakes and watch others make mistakes, but it's all fun.
Radiation Joe is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #16
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot
 
BRDHNTR's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 BMW M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Waverly, PA

Posts: 549
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
I'll look you up.

BTW, You quoted the instructor numbers. You're 11D and I'm 12A. I'm sure you are going to have a great time. You'll make mistakes and watch others make mistakes, but it's all fun.
I told you that I am new at this
__________________
"The laws of physics cannot be repealed, even with DSC." - BMW Owner's Manual

BRDHNTR is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST