BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-22-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
m3p40
Private
 
Drives: M3 E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

lowering springs and ride quality

I am having a hard time making a decision about lowering springs. I love the look but I am hearing a bunch of mixed reviews about ride quality. Some people have said the ride is slightly more harsh while others say there is a drastic and uncomfortable change. I live in NY so the roads here leave something to be desired! I know there are a bunch of threads on this but I was hoping I could set some feed back from people who have had springs on their car for a while. Thanks!
m3p40 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-22-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
Manny212
Captain
 
Manny212's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY

Posts: 614
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to Manny212
If you're asking about them then you surely want them. Thats how I felt and there was no turning away. I have a set of H&R's going on this Sunday and I also live in NY. You know you want them
__________________

2008 E92///M3 - | Alpine White/Fox Red Extended Novillo | Technology | Premium | Cold |
Mods: | 19" Avante Garde | Macht Schnell Filter | RPi Scoops | Rogue SSK | MS Spacers | ACM Test Pipes | ESS Tune | Remus Race | LUX V4 Angels | KW V3 |
Manny212 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
m3p40
Private
 
Drives: M3 E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

hahaha I know I LOVE the way the car sits with them. I know coilovers are an option but I'm not quite sure they are necessary. I also have EDC which would be an issue with coilovers. How do you feel the car rides?
m3p40 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
Manny212
Captain
 
Manny212's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY

Posts: 614
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to Manny212
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3p40 View Post
hahaha I know I LOVE the way the car sits with them. I know coilovers are an option but I'm not quite sure they are necessary. I also have EDC which would be an issue with coilovers. How do you feel the car rides?
Well they are going to be installed sunday so I will let you know but you may as well go with springs now to work with the EDC and when the shocks go down the road then you can just switch to coil overs. That's my plan. You can also settle for Eibachs which wont be as firm a ride as the H&R's but from what i've heard H&Rs arent harsh at all. Certainly a bit firmer than stock but it wont be much of a difference. The drop looks amazing though from the cars i've seen with them on.

BTW i dont know where you're located but you can certainly check my car out after i get the springs installed sunday.
__________________

2008 E92///M3 - | Alpine White/Fox Red Extended Novillo | Technology | Premium | Cold |
Mods: | 19" Avante Garde | Macht Schnell Filter | RPi Scoops | Rogue SSK | MS Spacers | ACM Test Pipes | ESS Tune | Remus Race | LUX V4 Angels | KW V3 |
Manny212 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
m3p40
Private
 
Drives: M3 E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

sorry I misread your first post I thought you installed them this past Sunday. I'm definitely interested to see what you think. Where in NY are you?

Any other opinions?
m3p40 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #6
Manny212
Captain
 
Manny212's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY

Posts: 614
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to Manny212
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3p40 View Post
sorry I misread your first post I thought you installed them this past Sunday. I'm definitely interested to see what you think. Where in NY are you?

Any other opinions?
I'm in yonkers
__________________

2008 E92///M3 - | Alpine White/Fox Red Extended Novillo | Technology | Premium | Cold |
Mods: | 19" Avante Garde | Macht Schnell Filter | RPi Scoops | Rogue SSK | MS Spacers | ACM Test Pipes | ESS Tune | Remus Race | LUX V4 Angels | KW V3 |
Manny212 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-22-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
LateBraking
Brigadier General
 
LateBraking's Avatar
 
Drives: Reliable Cars
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pacific Standard Time

Posts: 3,878
iTrader: (27)

I'm on the fence, let me know how they turn out. I really like the lowered stance a lot, but I absolutely love the way my car handles right now, especially after my last few spirited drives.
LateBraking is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
niqui
Brigadier General
 
niqui's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada

Posts: 3,100
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeJayKaying View Post
I'm on the fence, let me know how they turn out. I really like the lowered stance a lot, but I absolutely love the way my car handles right now, especially after my last few spirited drives.
i live in mtl, and i am scared crapless of driveways, and sidewalks, etc...entering parking lots already demands a full stop...
niqui is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-23-2009, 09:38 PM   #9
LateBraking
Brigadier General
 
LateBraking's Avatar
 
Drives: Reliable Cars
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pacific Standard Time

Posts: 3,878
iTrader: (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
i live in mtl, and i am scared crapless of driveways, and sidewalks, etc...entering parking lots already demands a full stop...
LoL, I'm not in mtl, and I'm scared of those too. I can't imagine your fear and pain. My best wishes to you.



I decided to not ponder, and I'm buying mine on Saturday. J.J. convinced me to get them, damn that guy.
LateBraking is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
chris s
Major General
 
chris s's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York

Posts: 5,114
iTrader: (8)

I installed H&Rs yesterday and I similar concerns, but decided to go ahead with it. So far, so good...no complaints. You will definitely notice things are a bit more firm..but the comfort level is still there. I guess thats a bit subjective though, everyone probably has different opinions.

I've heard it before and i think the best way to describe it is that all the settings are one notch above what they were before. Comfort is now normal, normal is sport, sport is Stiffer! I never used to keep my car in comfort mode, I've had it that since the install pretty much. Normal is fine too, just more firm.

There's been a bit of rain here and i need new rear tires as well...so i haven't pushed the car to see how the springs have improved the handling, etc.

I wouldn't hesitate to go ahead with the installation. I'm in White PLains if you're interested in checking it out.
__________________

2012 MR e92 M3 DCT, fully loaded... ESS VT2-625, Brembo 380, BBS FI's, Akra/Challenge Sport, KW Sleeve kit, Full OEM CF Interior
2008 e92 M3 Coupe 6MT | AW/BLK Extended...SOLD!
chris s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #11
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

I installed the Eibachs on my car. Ride definitely isn't as good as stock. Maybe just slightly firmer. I have a non EDC car. It's bouncier over bumps though. The car feels a bit dartier though if that's the right word. It kind feels like if you start bouncing on some bumps around a turn that it might want to change direction on you. I never felt this with the stock springs. It's not bad though and the car is still very comfortable to drive. I haven't done an alignment yet so hopefully that helps the handling a bit, but I'm not expecting much since the drop wasn't very drastic. Car still handles great but I'm willing to bet it would be slightly (if even measurable) slower on the track. But that's not an issue for me since I don't track the car.

The look however is greatly improved and I do suggest this mod. There is no comfort issue to worry about with the NY roads.
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #12
m3p40
Private
 
Drives: M3 E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
I installed the Eibachs on my car. Ride definitely isn't as good as stock. Maybe just slightly firmer. I have a non EDC car. It's bouncier over bumps though. The car feels a bit dartier though if that's the right word. It kind feels like if you start bouncing on some bumps around a turn that it might want to change direction on you. I never felt this with the stock springs. It's not bad though and the car is still very comfortable to drive. I haven't done an alignment yet so hopefully that helps the handling a bit, but I'm not expecting much since the drop wasn't very drastic. Car still handles great but I'm willing to bet it would be slightly (if even measurable) slower on the track. But that's not an issue for me since I don't track the car.

The look however is greatly improved and I do suggest this mod. There is no comfort issue to worry about with the NY roads.
awesome thanks! im still on the fence between coilovers or springs but if i do the springs im going with eibachs as well
m3p40 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2009, 12:49 AM   #13
Manny212
Captain
 
Manny212's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY

Posts: 614
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to Manny212
well i got the H&R springs installed and they ride great...ride feels even better than stock and it got rid of that terrible steering vibration i had around 80mph. Ride is very smooth
__________________

2008 E92///M3 - | Alpine White/Fox Red Extended Novillo | Technology | Premium | Cold |
Mods: | 19" Avante Garde | Macht Schnell Filter | RPi Scoops | Rogue SSK | MS Spacers | ACM Test Pipes | ESS Tune | Remus Race | LUX V4 Angels | KW V3 |
Manny212 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2009, 06:20 AM   #14
Buffalo
10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SoCal/Hawaii

Posts: 155
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny212 View Post
well i got the H&R springs installed and they ride great...ride feels even better than stock and it got rid of that terrible steering vibration i had around 80mph. Ride is very smooth
There is no way ride quality is better than stock, I have had 2 lowered cars in the past and its a matter of time until the lowered suspension takes a beating on the oem shocks and ride quality deteriorates.
Buffalo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #15
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,565
iTrader: (15)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo View Post
There is no way ride quality is better than stock, I have had 2 lowered cars in the past and its a matter of time until the lowered suspension takes a beating on the oem shocks and ride quality deteriorates.
The ride quality and handling in my old 2004 E46 M3 was much better than stock with Eibachs springs...

I've been lowering my cars (13 and counting, including 6 BMW) since 1987 exclusively with Eibachs springs with OEM shocks and I have never experienced any busted shocks or ride degradation on any of my cars. I normally install Eibachs within the first 1000 miles, and the most mileage on Eibachs has been 62,000+ miles and the OEM shocks were still tight. That 2004 E46 M3 was recently sold again (third owner) with 54,000 miles and still the OEM shocks are tight (installed at 800 miles).

I would not be surprised to know that most of these busted shocks and ride degradation stories in the Internet by lowering springs with OEM shocks are from brands other than Eibachs...
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2009, 08:29 AM   #16
chris s
Major General
 
chris s's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York

Posts: 5,114
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo View Post
There is no way ride quality is better than stock, I have had 2 lowered cars in the past and its a matter of time until the lowered suspension takes a beating on the oem shocks and ride quality deteriorates.
You're addressing two entirely different issues here. It is VERY possible ride quality is better than stock...but first one must define better. Maybe to me a bit more firm is better? To some it may not be.

Alot depends on how well the springs were made to mate up to the OEM shocks as well. I had a 911 TT with springs and the ride was absolutely awful...bouncy beyond belief. That is NOt the case with the M3 and H&Rs.

Will the OEM shocks deteriorate sooner...? Probably...but thats to be expected.
__________________

2012 MR e92 M3 DCT, fully loaded... ESS VT2-625, Brembo 380, BBS FI's, Akra/Challenge Sport, KW Sleeve kit, Full OEM CF Interior
2008 e92 M3 Coupe 6MT | AW/BLK Extended...SOLD!
chris s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #17
Buffalo
10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SoCal/Hawaii

Posts: 155
iTrader: (0)

Of course aftermarket springs improve handling, but I would have to disagree with ride comfort. Eibach is great quality, but when a car is lowered regardless more than the oem shocks were engineered for, the stress will cause ride quality to worsen eventually. When I lowered my S2000, it was fine for the first 2-3k miles, but after that every pothole was a nightmare. I had Eibachs, then went to Tein coilovers with adjustable suspension. Even the coilovers werent as smooth as oem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The ride quality and handling in my old 2004 E46 M3 was much better than stock with Eibachs springs...

I've been lowering my cars (13 and counting, including 6 BMW) since 1987 exclusively with Eibachs springs with OEM shocks and I have never experienced any busted shocks or ride degradation on any of my cars. I normally install Eibachs within the first 1000 miles, and the most mileage on Eibachs has been 62,000+ miles and the OEM shocks were still tight. That 2004 E46 M3 was recently sold again (third owner) with 54,000 miles and still the OEM shocks are tight (installed at 800 miles).

I would not be surprised to know that most of these busted shocks and ride degradation stories in the Internet by lowering springs with OEM shocks are from brands other than Eibachs...
Buffalo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #18
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

I'll weigh in on the handling side of the Eibachs once I get my car back from being aligned. But I seriously doubt the handling will be better than OEM. If you want to improve you'll need a full coil over setup.
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #19
Manny212
Captain
 
Manny212's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY

Posts: 614
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to Manny212
When i said better i did mean comfort. Handling is pretty much the same, not much, if any, difference in handling characteristics. The ride to me on H&R certainly feels smoother and better. Maybe after they settle it will be a more firm ride but to me it's just a better set up than stock. I also had a vibration around 80mph on the stock setup and now with the H&R springs its gone. Didn't even get an alignment or anything. Either way, those who don't have springs and are against them will state any cons that may potentially come with springs. Those who have had springs for a while with no bad effects will confirm that springs are not all that bad or different than stock.
__________________

2008 E92///M3 - | Alpine White/Fox Red Extended Novillo | Technology | Premium | Cold |
Mods: | 19" Avante Garde | Macht Schnell Filter | RPi Scoops | Rogue SSK | MS Spacers | ACM Test Pipes | ESS Tune | Remus Race | LUX V4 Angels | KW V3 |
Manny212 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #20
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

They shouldn't settle. They should stay the way they are from the day they are bought.
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #21
ROADKING36
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: wanted 09 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)

Which springs are better between H and R and Eibach?
ROADKING36 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #22
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

It's probably a toss up. I chose the Eibachs because it's slightly less drop in the front. I've only read good reports on both though.
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST