BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
GT3 Tim
Moderator
 
GT3 Tim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 1,894
iTrader: (0)

JL Audio Stealth Boxes

Anybody tried them?

Any thoughts about them, etc?

I am no audiophile, but I had a set in my E36 and liked the bass boost they gave. Considering these for my E90 M3. Would be adding a JL amp and other equipment the tune shop recommended.

Here is what the shop recommended:

JL Audio Stealth Boxes
JL HD 750/1 amp
Audio Control LC6i output converter

Thoughts please....

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?fit_id=1608
__________________
Tim (apparently likes "3" cars)
E90 M3 -- Current ride
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold

Last edited by GT3 Tim; 04-22-2009 at 03:00 PM.
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: A very fast car :)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London

Posts: 1,800
iTrader: (0)

I have heard of them, and have similar stealth boxes on the old E46 M3 but from the top down. Do you know how much are these? J
__________________
Speedtrap is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-22-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
GT3 Tim
Moderator
 
GT3 Tim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 1,894
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtrap View Post
I have heard of them, and have similar stealth boxes on the old E46 M3 but from the top down. Do you know how much are these? J
I think about $1400.
__________________
Tim (apparently likes "3" cars)
E90 M3 -- Current ride
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-22-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: A very fast car :)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London

Posts: 1,800
iTrader: (0)

Many thanks mate. Will try to find out how much these are, as they look good and easy to fit I would think
__________________
Speedtrap is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
808MGuy
Colonel
 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 2,256
iTrader: (3)

The stealthbox JL came up with for the E92/E90 is lame. The whole concept of the stealth box was to integrate a sub while keeping the factory look and factory function of the car. That stealth box blocks the rear fold down seat and it looks like someone just slapped a pair of 12s in the trunk (I know they are 13TW5s). Totally not worth the $1000+ they want for it. Crappy effort by JL on this one.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

808MGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
GT3 Tim
Moderator
 
GT3 Tim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 1,894
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the input. Anybody else want to chime in? The other option they gave me was a custom box with one front facing woofer. They told me I should put the rear armrest down for good sound. I am inclined to go with the JL boxes because of that. I aint looking for audiophile quality or anything, just a nice bass boost.

Any other comments/experiences?
__________________
Tim (apparently likes "3" cars)
E90 M3 -- Current ride
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
sgar0777
Private
 
sgar0777's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 AW/BLK 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alpharetta, Ga.

Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)

GT3 Tim,

I owned a shop for a while that sold JL Audio, and in terms of sound quality, fitment, build quality, etc. the stealthbox line is one of the very best. JL spends a lot of time getting the sound quality as well as the fitment spot on. You will pay for it, though, and the others observations are valid, the one for the M3 is huge, and is placed in a bad spot.

Pros: Sound Quality, Build Quality, Fitment.

Cons: Price, Size, Placement, Weight.

In terms of the correct amp and installation method it really depends on what you expect. There are several options and methods that will result in differing levels of quality, quantity, and adjustability. You can not go wrong with a JL Amp, they are the real deal. You are going to have to rely on a seasoned installer to direct you to the correct setup for you. Make sure you spend enough time describing your expectations so they can get you in the right product mix.

Good Luck!

PS, I had the E36 Stealthbox as well, and it was fabulous. Not particularly loud, but very smooth and accurate. It was really a completely different animal than the current E92 setup.
sgar0777 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2009, 07:40 PM   #8
GT3 Tim
Moderator
 
GT3 Tim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 1,894
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the info!

Being as I am not an audiophile, I am going to go with the box. My installer has been around a long time and does tons of custom work, etc, etc. I have used them for quite a while and trust them. They said they have done a few in the E90 3-series (same fitment) and said it sounds very good. I was skeptical on the rear firing nature of the box, but he assured me that it would sound very good, etc, etc. So i figure, wtf, I will give it a shot. If I don't like it, I will sell it on Craigslist or something. lol. I figure I am getting a great amp, so I could always change the speakers and box later if needed...but i am pretty confident it will be a good fit, for what i am looking for.

FYI, here is a link to thier website. They don some pretty kickass stuff. http://www.acmetopsandtunes.com/audio.html
__________________
Tim (apparently likes "3" cars)
E90 M3 -- Current ride
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
808MGuy
Colonel
 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 2,256
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
Thanks for the info!

Being as I am not an audiophile, I am going to go with the box. My installer has been around a long time and does tons of custom work, etc, etc. I have used them for quite a while and trust them. They said they have done a few in the E90 3-series (same fitment) and said it sounds very good. I was skeptical on the rear firing nature of the box, but he assured me that it would sound very good, etc, etc. So i figure, wtf, I will give it a shot. If I don't like it, I will sell it on Craigslist or something. lol. I figure I am getting a great amp, so I could always change the speakers and box later if needed...but i am pretty confident it will be a good fit, for what i am looking for.

FYI, here is a link to thier website. They don some pretty kickass stuff. http://www.acmetopsandtunes.com/audio.html
As long as you're okay with not being able to fold down the rear seat backs it should be good. No doubt its a good sounding sub and rear firing is typically the optimal setup in a trunk.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

808MGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #10
Adonislike
Captain
 
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southern California

Posts: 842
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
Anybody tried them?

Any thoughts about them, etc?

I am no audiophile, but I had a set in my E36 and liked the bass boost they gave. Considering these for my E90 M3. Would be adding a JL amp and other equipment the tune shop recommended.

Here is what the shop recommended:

JL Audio Stealth Boxes
JL HD 750/1 amp
Audio Control LC6i output converter

Thoughts please....

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?fit_id=1608
I have this installed in my M3. Absolutely AMAZING!!! This in my opinion is the best way to go if you want to preserve your trunk space. The amount of bass this puts out in this small package is incredible. I have had car stereos off and on for 15 years. This is up there with the best I have owned.

Now, I have Audison amplifiers which makes a tremendous difference. I have to give alot of credit to forum member Technic also. That guys expertise and advice is priceless
Adonislike is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #11
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
 
Subw00er's Avatar
 
Drives: 08e92M, 03e46M
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NY

Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to Subw00er
JL is GREAT stuff. Very solid/robust. I've used them for years. I am not a fan of their larger heavier woofers though - not musical, but their lighter stuff is great (favorite was a 12v4)!

Stealthboxes are known to be the best, not sure about the BMW version though. I had one in the past and it was great.

PS that setup should HAMMER. That a big amp. Why not a 500/1?
Subw00er is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2009, 03:32 AM   #12
808MGuy
Colonel
 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 2,256
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
PS that setup should HAMMER. That a big amp. Why not a 500/1?
Why not when the HD750 is actually smaller in size than a 500/1.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

808MGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #13
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
 
Subw00er's Avatar
 
Drives: 08e92M, 03e46M
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NY

Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to Subw00er
Oh, I assumed it was 750x1. Sorry I dont know the new stuff. My old stuff is still good, so no reason to upgrade!
Subw00er is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #14
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
 
dogears's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Space Gray M3 Sedan M-DCT
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Why do a stealth box? I may add a trunk sub using JL too. My guy will build a nice enclosure that goes in the back left, over the OEM amp. That way, I get to fold my seats down and I don't lose any real trunk volume. I do use the trunk.

Although nice, the Stealth Box is expensive and compromises the trunk, greatly.
__________________
2009 Space Gray Carbon Leather E90 with DCT, Tech package, and EPS. Mods: Fabspeed 200 cell cats, Xpipe w/resonators and no secondary cats, BPM tune, Euro DCT software, Eisenmann Sport Mufflers, Vorsteiner Rear Diffuser II, SWS8 subs, JL Audio XD400 bridged 2X200W, built in radar
dogears is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #15
GT3 Tim
Moderator
 
GT3 Tim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 1,894
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post
Why do a stealth box? I may add a trunk sub using JL too. My guy will build a nice enclosure that goes in the back left, over the OEM amp. That way, I get to fold my seats down and I don't lose any real trunk volume. I do use the trunk.

Although nice, the Stealth Box is expensive and compromises the trunk, greatly.
Thanks to everybody for the replies.

I considered the custom box approach and think that would work too. It was actually a bit cheaper to do it that way. But I figured I liked the JL's before and after looking at how they mount, it wll be fairly easy to pull out the box if needed. I rarely use the fold downs, but have...so on those semi-rare ocassions, I can remove the box and use the fold downs. Also, i have a truck, so if I have something long I need to get, I can always take the truck!
__________________
Tim (apparently likes "3" cars)
E90 M3 -- Current ride
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2009, 01:42 PM   #16
GT3 Tim
Moderator
 
GT3 Tim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 1,894
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adonislike View Post
I have this installed in my M3. Absolutely AMAZING!!! This in my opinion is the best way to go if you want to preserve your trunk space. The amount of bass this puts out in this small package is incredible. I have had car stereos off and on for 15 years. This is up there with the best I have owned.

Now, I have Audison amplifiers which makes a tremendous difference. I have to give alot of credit to forum member Technic also. That guys expertise and advice is priceless
SWEET! Glad to hear somebody has it and likes it!

I went with the HD 750 amp as I would raher work an amp at lower load and also, it is smaller. I figure, what the hell, its only a little more money, why not? lol
__________________
Tim (apparently likes "3" cars)
E90 M3 -- Current ride
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2009, 04:16 PM   #17
DevJ
Colonel
 
DevJ's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 Cayman S & IS350
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tulsa, OK

Posts: 2,701
iTrader: (1)

Tim, please let me know how it goes since i am also wanting a little more bass out of the stock stereo..
__________________
E92 M3. SOLD
New: '14 Cayman S PDK
Incoming: GT-R Black Edition
DevJ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #18
GT3 Tim
Moderator
 
GT3 Tim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 1,894
iTrader: (0)

It is installed and kicks some ass. I like the stealth box a lot. I also had them install a bass control knob. This set up is exactly what I was looking for.

Yes, it sucks that I cannot use the fold down seats. However, there are just two nuts to take off and I can remove the box. So no big deal for those few times I would actually need the fold down seats!
__________________
Tim (apparently likes "3" cars)
E90 M3 -- Current ride
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #19
GT3 Tim
Moderator
 
GT3 Tim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 1,894
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
Tim, please let me know how it goes since i am also wanting a little more bass out of the stock stereo..
If you want "a little more bass", this is overkill. This setup is loud enough to make you a bit sick to your stomach! It can really hit hard. Also, the sibs they use are more for rap-type bass, not the fast kick drums of rock, etc. Although I think it sounds pretty good anyways. That's just what they told me...he suggested a custom box with some other JL subs for kick drum type music. But being as I primarily listen to "beats", I opted for the stealth box.
__________________
Tim (apparently likes "3" cars)
E90 M3 -- Current ride
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST