BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

INDustry distribution

04-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
KMIII
///M

Drives: 08 M-DCT E92 M3

Break in period

For the proper break-in of the E92 V8, I understand that I must not exceed 5500 rpm and 105 mph, also no full throttle. What else is important for proper break in? If have almost 500 miles on the car, would it be harmful to the engine and parts if I used the power button and sport plus EDC to get a little bit more acceleration while still keeping it under 5500 rpm and 105 mph?

Also, is it alright to drive with S-5 and D-5 setting on the DCT while break in period?

Thanks in advance.
KMIII is offline   United_States
      04-20-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
RJD M3
Private First Class

Drives: E90 M3

Send a message via AIM to RJD M3
I did all of those 'bad' things during break in and have no problems whatsoever. For the most part however I treated her well and followed the rules with some spirited drives from time to time in M mode and S5. I have noticed too that I burn very little if any oil. You will get the full range of responses on this one, try the function too.
      04-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
GT3 Tim

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I broke it in the way many engine builders and race teams do.... I have zero oil consumption, etc, etc, etc. Needless to say, I didn't exactly follow the manual. I have broken in many cars in this manner. I HAD (got stolen) an 87 toy 4x4 with 275K on the stock motor. I broke it in like I always did and I swear that between oil changes, I could see barely any oil loss (we are talking just a little bit here).

Bottom line...

You aint gonna hurt it no matter what you do. You are at about 500 miles, which is PLENTY of miles on it to start dropping the hammer. Enjoy your car...don't worry about breaking it!

As an asside, I see several posters complaining about oil consumption. I also notice that all claim to have broken in the car per the manual. I think this is the cause of their high oil consumption.... The rings, especially in a high compression motor, need to get seated quickly and get seated WELL. By driving it like a granny for 1,200 fricken miles, you aint doing it! lol. You are doing quite the opposite and basically phucking up your motor to an extent. Well, that is all IMHO and my experience with motors over the years. Take it for what its worth.

RJD M3 -- Do you have any oil loss between changes? I have not seen any.
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
      04-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici

Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
Bounced it off the limiter more than once during break-in.
Zero oil consumption in 17k miles.
Radiation Joe is offline   United_States
      04-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
ersin
Brigadier General

Drives: 08 IB E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
Bottom line...

You aint gonna hurt it no matter what you do. You are at about 500 miles, which is PLENTY of miles on it to start dropping the hammer. Enjoy your car...don't worry about breaking it!

As an asside, I see several posters complaining about oil consumption. I also notice that all claim to have broken in the car per the manual. I think this is the cause of their high oil consumption.... The rings, especially in a high compression motor, need to get seated quickly and get seated WELL. By driving it like a granny for 1,200 fricken miles, you aint doing it! lol. You are doing quite the opposite and basically phucking up your motor to an extent. Well, that is all IMHO and my experience with motors over the years. Take it for what its worth.

RJD M3 -- Do you have any oil loss between changes? I have not seen any.
This could turn into a pissing contest. Everybody seems to have an opinion about this. Many people do run their car hard during break-in with no problems. I ran my E46 M3 fairly hard during break-in while still following the guidelines (Well, I may have strayed once or twice ) and had no problems. (Except for that bearing recall thing) OTOH, the engines are supposed to be broken in from the factory. However, besides the engine, other parts need to be broken-in too. My advice would be to follow BMW guidelines, but don't baby it. So:

o Run it hard up to 5500 RPM, just don't go (too much) over and try not to floor it. Do this when conditions and traffic are safe.
o I would use sport mode at least once in a while during break-in.
o Vary your speeds and RPM during this break-in period. Don't hold one speed for very long and don't use cruise control much (but at least check it out to make sure it works). I don't know why you need to do this, other than it promotes engine braking and this sucks in more oil to the cylinders, and because mechanics I know always say this.
o Bed the brakes. (Search the Internet for this. Basically, do a series of very hard stops from about 40 mph. Let the brakes cool, then do it again.)
o New tires need a hundred or so miles to get all the gunky stuff off of them so be careful during that time.

o After the 1200 mile service, don't bring the RPMs right up to redline. Gradually work the revs up over a thousand or so miles.
o Always let the engine (and whole car) warm up before running it hard -- pre and post break-in. The oil temperature is a good gauge for this. Wait until it at least starts moving up the scale. Don't let the car sit idling, just take it easy for the first few minutes as you drive down the road first thing in the morning.

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
ersin is offline   United_States
      04-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
GT3 Tim

ersin -- Yes, everybody has their own opinion and that's cool. Everybody should do what they think is best, period!

I followed an approach that was basically a ramp-up approach. I allowed for a few hundred miles of "no shock" driving. No hard shifts (S3 and a lot of D mode) and no "rabbit starts". Then, I started ramping up load. This is what seats rings (not rpm per se). I would do full throttle above about 2500-3000 rpm to about 5500 rpm, typically in a high gear so there was a longer duration of load on the motor. Then, gradually over a few more hundred miles, ramp up rpms. I did not hit high rpms (about 8K) and hard shifts (S6) until about 800 miles. After that, it was totally broken in.

The above approach was a conservative approach based on what many engine builders do, but it is what I felt best. To each his own. The rings are seated by load, not rpms. If people are concerned about exceeding the 5500 recommendation in the manaul, they can still seat the rings well by applying a good amount of load on the motor. Again, do this by using a high gear and max throttle input....shift at 5500 and run through the gears. Do this from say 3rd gear and up.

That's IMHO and my experience. To each his own.... That's the way I have broken in motors (and even much more aggressively in the past). With the M and it's even tighter tolerances, I erred on the more conservative side.

Again, I have never had a motor burn any noticable oil between changes doing it this way nor had any problems that could be associated with this sort of break-in. For me, it works, and it works well. However, people should do what they think is best, it's your car after all!
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
      04-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
ersin
Brigadier General

Drives: 08 IB E92 M3

Tim,

I totally agree with you. A big load on the engine will help seat the rings, not necessarily high RPM. I am hesitant to recommend anything against BMW's recommendations. I feel that it is possible to be within their guidelines and break in the engine successfully. It's all cool.

I also wanted to point out that there are other things in the car that need breaking in too. And far more important than any of this is the part about letting the whole vehicle warm up before really pushing it whether during break-in or any time after.

If the E9x M3s are anything like my E46 M3 -- and I have no reason to believe they aren't -- then the engine just keeps getting stronger and stronger over time. Even without mods . I've never owned an American or Japanese car that was like this.

To the OP: good luck and enjoy.

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
ersin is offline   United_States
      04-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #8
Ken37.73
Private 1st Class

Drives: E92 M3 Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMIII View Post
For the proper break-in of the E92 V8, I understand that I must not exceed 5500 rpm and 105 mph, also no full throttle. What else is important for proper break in? If have almost 500 miles on the car, would it be harmful to the engine and parts if I used the power button and sport plus EDC to get a little bit more acceleration while still keeping it under 5500 rpm and 105 mph?

Also, is it alright to drive with S-5 and D-5 setting on the DCT while break in period?

Thanks in advance.
Dude - the running-in directions should be on a sticker on the inside of the windscreen. Just stick to that regarding throttle opening and rpm. DCT / DTC / throttle map all irrelevant.

Last edited by Ken37.73; 04-22-2009 at 03:41 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
      04-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
Ca$hOnly
Major

Drives: E92 M3

yawn
      04-21-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
KMIII
///M

Drives: 08 M-DCT E92 M3

Thanks for all the info, some of you have some techniques that sound like they might work well. I think I will go for a drive now so I can hurry the hell up to 1,200 miles. Cant wait.
KMIII is offline   United_States
      04-21-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
Robo Squirrel
Captain

Drives: C7

I think i will use the "race engine" break in technique...perhaps someone with better knowledge could lay it out in a step by step format? sounds like it works well. Thanks guys!!!
      04-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #12
GT3 Tim

I am not claiming this is right or wrong, just basically what my opinion is. Everybody has their own! The below is a brief write-up I found online. I slightly edited it to show how I broke in my motors in the past. To each his own and YMMV. This is simply what I did! This is not the ultimate guide to breaking in a motor and I want you to understand that if you want my opinion, I would say "follow the manuals recommendations". That being said...

Drive normally but not a continuous high speeds or continuous rpm's for the first 500 miles. Occasional quick bursts of speed (not necess. rpm's) followed by quick deceleration during this period, is beneficial. AVOID LUGGING!!! Long trips (which would result in roughly continuous rpm's) are not recommended until after 1000 miles or so. You want to apply "load" to the motor...I found it best to get in a gear at about 2500 rpm's and give it about 50% throttle up to about 5500 rpms over a period of a hundred miles. Every hundred miles I would increase throttle input by about 10% and the rpm's by about 500. Thus...at 500ish miles, you are pretty much broken in. On older motor's, I would be more agressive on my break in. However, being as today's motors are so much "tighter" and use synthetics, I feel a ramped up approach over a longer duration is beneficial.

Applying loads to the engine for short periods of time causes increased ring pressure against cylinder walls and helps to seat the rings. Being as the car has synthetic oil and tight tolerances, I use the above "ramped up" approach. The rings will not seat as quickly with syn. oil. This is not a huge issue, it just takes longer to get the rings seated. Also, the rapid deceleration increases vacuum and gives extra lubrication to the piston and other assemblies.

That's what I have done....

Again, officially, I would recommend you follow the manual. The above is simply "what I did" in the past.
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold