BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

10-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
dadealus
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 13'E92 M3

Garage scratched and maybe bent both rims?????

Hey guys I needed to change my tires and this shop I went to was highly rated. I havent had the car very long and I've allways be REALLY particular in keeping the rims far from anything that could dmg them. and I'm 99% sure they did not have these markings before taking my rims in.

basically they changed the tires on both front rims and both now have very similar scratches.. the garage also said "hey both rims are a bit bent" o_O do what?

I showed my friend and hes convinced they not only scratched both the rims, but also may have caused the bend trying to put the tires on.

what do you guys think?

I ask only cause I want to make sure before i go in there and start complaining.

(and i know the rims are hella dirty)

left

right
dadealus is offline   United_States
      10-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II

Feel sorry to hear and seeing this,scrached when changed tires...i would say...yes !
But bent like this at this level....WOW !!! ...Jesus man , thats a mystery ! (never seen this before)
Is this done with tractor or truck tools ?!?! (looks like)
BTW...when i see the level of the bent....you must feel this enormous when driving your car.....your steering wheel must create a small earthquake, and also huge vibrations inside the car....100 % sure !!!
Conclusion.....HORROR !!!

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 10-17-2013 at 10:15 AM.
///M Power-Belgium is online now   Belgium
      10-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
kawasaki00
Major

Drives: E92

Sorry for the luck, both rims are toast, they need to be replaced. if you have them repaired they will never be as strong as before.
It still baffles me why people just dont take wheels to the dealer to have them changed.
AT NO POINT does any tool or the machine EVER touch the rim at the dealership. Every dealer around here has the same equipment. I am sure most bmw dealers use the same BMW Hunter machine.
I am not trying to break your horn over your bad luck, just trying to convince everyone that although more expensive you dont have to worry about this happeneing.
      10-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
dadealus
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Feel sorry to hear and seeing this,scrached when change tires...i would say...yes !
But bent like this at this level....WOW !!! ...Jesus man , thats a mystery ! (never seen this before)
Is this done with tractor or truck tools ?!?! (looks like)
BTW...when i see the level of the bent....you must feel this enormous when driving your car.....your steering wheel must create a small earthquake, and also huge vibrations inside the car....100 % sure !!!
Conclusion.....HORROR !!!
the thing is I didnt feel any vibration before ... and after I don't think there is any vibration maybe the slightest micro vibration in the steering wheel at 85+ , but i cant say for sure it wasn't there before...
      10-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
dadealus
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
Sorry for the luck, both rims are toast, they need to be replaced. if you have them repaired they will never be as strong as before.
It still baffles me why people just dont take wheels to the dealer to have them changed.
AT NO POINT does any tool or the machine EVER touch the rim at the dealership. Every dealer around here has the same equipment. I am sure most bmw dealers use the same BMW Hunter machine.
I am not trying to break your horn over your bad luck, just trying to convince everyone that although more expensive you dont have to worry about this happeneing.
I honestly didnt think something as simple as changing a tire would be that big of a deal to have done outside of the dealership. They were also the top rated shop in town
      10-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II

What they are saying now ?...when you say ...my wheels don't had this problems before ?
      10-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
nullrouted
Studying...

Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadealus
Quote:
I honestly didnt think something as simple as changing a tire would be that big of a deal to have done outside of the dealership. They were also the top rated shop in town
Main reason I always let the dealership change my tires? BMW has far more commitment to my satisfaction than any local tire shop. If they break something, either the dealer will fix it or a call to BMWNA will. If all else fails, they also have deeper pockets to pick than the local tire shop...

That said, I've never had damage done to anything at my dealership, no reason to look elsewhere just to save a couple bucks.
nullrouted is offline   United_States
      10-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
budski
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 SSII E92 DCT ZCP

I had a horrible wheel shop incident with my previous e60 535i. The shop overtorqued the lug ,cracked the hub and I had no way of proving they did it.

Now before I ever go to a tire shop, I try to figure out where the employees park to see if they're "tuners/modders". So far my favorite shop has a bunch of college kids with s2000s, mazda speed3s, rsx, etc who take pride in their vehicles.

I totally agree with kawasaki00 in paying the extra buck to go to the dealer. But if you're like me where the closest bmw dealer is 45 minutes away, I would suggest being picky on where you go. A tire shop that's experienced in installing 35in mud tires is going to jack up a 30series tire install

ESS VT2 625 | Brembo 380mm F/R | Stack Gauges | Meisterschaft GT | KW V3 | Perf Steering Wheel | Challenge GT Lip | Perf CF Spoiler | CF Mirror Caps

Tundra TRD Rock Warrior
budski is offline   United_States
      10-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
dmppdx
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I'm not sure they could bend rims changing tires. I just don't see how they could apply the force needed to do that since they are not easy to bend. Even dropping them without a tire on them I don't think would bend them.

I don't think those those gashes look like the normal marks tire shops make during replacement. Usually they are long fairly shallow scratches, not what look like short deep gouges. In the pictures, they don't look super fresh either.
      10-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
kawasaki00
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmppdx View Post
I'm not sure they could bend rims changing tires. I just don't see how they could apply the force needed to do that since they are not easy to bend. Even dropping them without a tire on them I don't think would bend them.

I don't think those those gashes look like the normal marks tire shops make during replacement. Usually they are long fairly shallow scratches, not what look like short deep gouges. In the pictures, they don't look super fresh either.
I have witnessed a known tire shop using a prybar and a spoon bar that was 3ft long on a nice set or rims before. Never under estimate people.
      10-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #11
whats77inaname
Native Texan

Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
+1. When going to get your wheels removed/installed, I *highly* recommend finding a shop w/a Hunter Auto34. There are some Discount Tires that have them. In my area, there is only 1 local, and even though there are other Discounts closer, I travel out of my b/c of the Auto34. The users have to be trained on how to use it, and there are usually only 1/2 guys per shift. There's no add'l charge to have them use it either, you just have to specify that that's what you want when it comes time.

whats77inaname is offline   United_States
      10-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
kawasaki00
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
+1. When going to get your wheels removed/installed, I *highly* recommend finding a shop w/a Hunter Auto34. There are some Discount Tires that have them. In my area, there is only 1 local, and even though there are other Discounts closer, I travel out of my b/c of the Auto34. The users have to be trained on how to use it, and there are usually only 1/2 guys per shift. There's no add'l charge to have them use it either, you just have to specify that that's what you want when it comes time.

Thats it, the bmw dealers have the same machine but it has the bmw stickers on it, same machine though. They are 14k, I just asked when we had a meeting yesterday with a bunch of dealer guys. Like I said, at no point does the machine touch the face or the lip of the wheel, they are bad ass. I was int he back watching a couple months ago when I got my new wheels. I was actually very impressed with it. The guys that use it alot dont even have to use the traction bar and that is another thing to take out of the picture.
      10-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
whats77inaname
Native Texan

Quote:
Thats it, the bmw dealers have the same machine but it has the bmw stickers on it, same machine though.
I don't doubt you, my man, I was just letting folks know that Discount Tires has them, as well. Just gotta call and verify before heading over
      10-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
kawasaki00
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
I don't doubt you, my man, I was just letting folks know that Discount Tires has them, as well. Just gotta call and verify before heading over
I feel ya, didnt mean for it to sound that way, sorry dude.
      10-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
whats77inaname
Native Texan

Quote:
I feel ya, didnt mean for it to sound that way, sorry dude.
Nothing but love here
      10-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #16
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '14 W212 AMG S, '12 958 S

Send a message via AIM to a burrito
that's really weird. how come you had to change front tires on a 2013 already? are you doing like 35k a year? I've had some really bad tire shops and had some really bad gouges on my wheels after a tire change but the wheels never bent nor did the damage ever look like that.

that definitely looks like you hit something or whoever drove the car hit something.

AD08. Akra. Huper Optik. KW V3. Macht Schnell. RE SSK. TMS.
a burrito is offline   United_States
      10-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #17
slicer
Brigadier General

Drives: '13 E92 M3

I think it would be extremely difficult to bend a rim mounting tires. Scratching the wheel - yes, bending a rim - no. Not all tire shops are created equally. I'm super anal and research the best shops for that work; I'm sure there is a good shop available. I don't see the dealer as necessarily better than a high quality tire shop. Hunter road force balance is a must.
KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Bumper & Black Mirror Covers, Turner Motorsports Studs/Lugs & Delrin Diff Bushings, MRF Solid Sub-Frame Bushings, RD Sport Sways, Recaro Profi-XL & Planted Seat Brackets, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter & GTS Wing, Advan TC3 (18x9.5/10.5), BBS E05 (18x10/11), G-Force Rivals (275/295)
      10-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #18
dadealus
Second Lieutenant

Heres a few questions then...
is it possible that a medium sized potholes at 50-ish miles an hour caused the rims to bend?

the reason i had to change the fronts is that the front right had a sidewall failure (bulge). I assume that sidewall failure is from me hitting said pot hole. we have REALLY shitty roads here in RVA. Since I work night shift I have really bad luck spotting them.

2. given that im not feeling any wobble or wiggle in the wheel or car. what are the negatives with using the rims bent like they are?
increased tire wear? ect ect?

3. If i do get the rims repaired what are the Cons?
      10-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #19
slicer
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadealus View Post
Heres a few questions then...
is it possible that a medium sized potholes at 50-ish miles an hour caused the rims to bend?

the reason i had to change the fronts is that the front right had a sidewall failure (bulge). I assume that sidewall failure is from me hitting said pot hole. we have REALLY shitty roads here in RVA. Since I work night shift I have really bad luck spotting them.

2. given that im not feeling any wobble or wiggle in the wheel or car. what are the negatives with using the rims bent like they are?
increased tire wear? ect ect?

3. If i do get the rims repaired what are the Cons?
1 - yes absolutely
2- I guess if there is no detectable vibration then the worst that could happen is some increased shock wear. I however doubt that it won't be felt. I get a vibration at 80 mph if my tires aren't perfectly road-force balanced on perfectly round, new wheels.
3- weakens the wheels, more likely to bend again, therefore waste of time. I tried that approach in the past and not worth the hassle.

Are those OEM ZCP wheels or cheap reps?
KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Bumper & Black Mirror Covers, Turner Motorsports Studs/Lugs & Delrin Diff Bushings, MRF Solid Sub-Frame Bushings, RD Sport Sways, Recaro Profi-XL & Planted Seat Brackets, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter & GTS Wing, Advan TC3 (18x9.5/10.5), BBS E05 (18x10/11), G-Force Rivals (275/295)
      10-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #20
M3PO
Colonel

Drives: '08 IB E92

I don't t think the tires shop caused the bends. If you had a sidewall bubble, the pothole probably caused the bend.
      10-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #21
dadealus
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
1 - yes absolutely
2- I guess if there is no detectable vibration then the worst that could happen is some increased shock wear. I however doubt that it won't be felt. I get a vibration at 80 mph if my tires aren't perfectly road-force balanced on perfectly round, new wheels.
3- weakens the wheels, more likely to bend again, therefore waste of time. I tried that approach in the past and not worth the hassle.

Are those OEM ZCP wheels or cheap reps?

OEM ZCP
      10-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #22
slicer
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadealus View Post
OEM ZCP
Wow, you must have nailed a big pothole! Zcp's are very strong.