BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

GTB Performance

04-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #23
Doru in Romania
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 525d xDrive

i only posted pics of my muffler and some personal impressions as a consumer. seems that it's a kind of ind church here, anybody having a different oppinion is cursed. why the heck everything has something to do with ind? don't know who they are and never mentioned them in any way before they start herassing me.
will post video with sound level professionally measured also spectrum analysis. it is droning.

also check these - not my posts:

-------------------------------------------------------------

eisenmann race is the best sounding exhaust out there however it does drone at cruising speeds which can be annoying IMHO

Re: Eisenmann: Droning?

I have them on the M and yes, there is droning @ cruising speed of 90-100

Re: Eisenmann: Droning?

Louis
I have had it on my previous Z and in fact, it drones at v low rpm...but I think it's still bearable or maybe I had gone half deaf? keke..

I went for sports, which drones too much on motorway journeys for my liking. Its also very noisy (to my ears anyway) now that its settled in.

All the eisenmanns I have heard drones.

....and so on, just google it.

Last edited by Doru in Romania; 04-19-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Doru in Romania is offline   Romania
      04-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #24
M3 Montreal
Colonel

Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

I've got the full AA system including catless x-pipe which ,if anything , should make things worse. There is ZERO drone at highway cruising speeds of 100 kmph in 6th gear.

There is drone from about 1500 rpm to about 2300 rpm which is well below cruising rpm.

I LOVE my AA system and have posted some roll on videos on YouTube and linked them on this forum.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
      04-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #25
dhoggm3
Captain

Drives: F80 E93 E36 M3, F430, 981 BS

With the AA Exhaust, it's fine as long as you keep things above 2100 rpm. Below that, it's boomy; especially bad with the top down. I've learned to adjust to it: I don't lug it around town any more. It sounds simply stunning from 2200 up. The motor is probably happier for this adjustment, as well.

Never leave a car completely stock!
dhoggm3 is offline   United_States
      04-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #26
M3 Montreal
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoggm3 View Post
With the AA Exhaust, it's fine as long as you keep things above 2100 rpm. Below that, it's boomy; especially bad with the top down. I've learned to adjust to it: I don't lug it around town any more. It sounds simply stunning from 2200 up. The motor is probably happier for this adjustment, as well.
Hey Dhoggm3 are you just exhaust or AA X-Pipe also? I find it's actually not so loud until WOT which is very surprising . I expected it to be louder and I am happy its at the level it is. I can actually drive by cops and not be bothered other than the smell from no cats... Which I love by the way...

04-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #27
dhoggm3
Captain

It's the cat-back only. BTW, the shiny stainless of the AA setup looks really sharp, also, though I doubt that the bling adds any RWHP.

04-21-2009, 09:04 PM   #28
Edman951
Second Lieutenant

Drives: F10 550xi, Alpine white

Hey M3 Montreal,
Are you in the west-island?
if yeah, i saw you yesterday on the 40 ouest from sources road to st-marie.
i was in my truck.

Your AA exhasut sounds nice when being followed.
Very civalised when just croosing.
I was supprised. Very nice
but get load when u give it a bit more gas.
I could smell that you had no cats, and your rear diffuser being a little yellowed from the fumes i guess.

Later
Edman951 is offline   Canada
      04-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #29
M3 Montreal
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman951 View Post
Hey M3 Montreal,
Are you in the west-island?
if yeah, i saw you yesterday on the 40 ouest from sources road to st-marie.
i was in my truck.

Your AA exhasut sounds nice when being followed.
Very civalised when just croosing.
I was supprised. Very nice
but get load when u give it a bit more gas.
I could smell that you had no cats, and your rear diffuser being a little yellowed from the fumes i guess.

Later
Yeah that's me. I hate washing my car and I need to maybe buy a diffuser but Im so NOT cosmetic. You actually could smell it with your windows closed? wow

You should check out e90 post as well. Lots of fellow montrealers there and they organize some breakfasts and rides.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=6378&page=981

Honk next time you see me. I think I saw your car over the winter when mine was stored. I was wondering how it was driving it through the winter.

04-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #30
M3 Montreal
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoggm3 View Post
It's the cat-back only. BTW, the shiny stainless of the AA setup looks really sharp, also, though I doubt that the bling adds any RWHP.
Actually the AA and Eisenmann have posted approximately 15 whp from exhaust only so its not JUST sound...

04-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #31
Edman951
Second Lieutenant

Drives: F10 550xi, Alpine white

Quote:
I was wondering how it was driving it through the winter.
In the winter it drives really great.
I have Blizzak LM25 235 on all 4 corners. I did 10,000km this winter.
M3 is so well balanced that its amazing all the time.
Even in deep snow.
I even drove 2 days with the DSC diativated because of the steering wheel angle sensor. And the car handle the snow storm very well.

I will check out e90post for the rides.
Later
Edman951 is offline   Canada
      04-23-2009, 08:47 PM   #32
John@BMW
I can't belive this car is a 4 door family sedan.

Drives: 2008 M3 sedan, '96 M3

to the original poster..... Please look at the UUC Corsa exhaust for the m3. There is zero drone any where and just a really great sound.

I have it on my car and I could not be happier- It sounds so freaking good. These videos just do NOT do it any justice. If you think the videos sound good, then you will be extremely happy when you hear it in person- The sound only gets better with time too- I really need to take some more videos since this exhaust has because deeper and louder.

Here is a video- if you want to see many more- just search for 'interlagosm3' on YouTube-

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wi65o0HC854&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wi65o0HC854&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]
      04-23-2009, 10:52 PM   #33
TRZ06
Captain

Drives: 08' IB E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@BMW View Post
to the original poster..... Please look at the UUC Corsa exhaust for the m3. There is zero drone any where and just a really great sound.

I have it on my car and I could not be happier- It sounds so freaking good. These videos just do NOT do it any justice. If you think the videos sound good, then you will be extremely happy when you hear it in person- The sound only gets better with time too- I really need to take some more videos since this exhaust has because deeper and louder.

Here is a video- if you want to see many more- just search for 'interlagosm3' on YouTube-

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wi65o0HC854&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wi65o0HC854&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]

Yeah, I do love the sound of Corsa. I had the Corsa on my Z06. I have one thing stopping me at the moment from pulling the trigger.

On the Corvette you have 2 systems to choose from. The "Touring" and the "Pace" system. The Pace system is the louder of the two and the one I had on my Z06. The loudness was perfect, the "touring" system was too quiet for my taste. I called Corsa up and asked what the loudest level was on the M3 version by UUC and they said it is similar to the "Touring" and if that is the case I think it will be too quiet for me. I REALLY want to hear the exhaust in my car from the inside, just without droning. For me, loud is good, but droning is bad.

I really need to hear it in person and in the car before I am willing to make the decision, because I only want to do this once. I don't have the money to make the wrong choice.

I will probably take a month or two to make my decision, I need to get in touch with some locals who have different exhaust and see what I like.

I REALLY liked the Gantini from the clips I have seen online and I LOVE the 90mm tips they have, but I think it might drone.
07' 335i E90: KWV2, H&R Sways, SSTT
01' & 04' Corvette Z06
TRZ06 is offline   United_States
      04-23-2009, 11:12 PM   #34
rzm3

Drives: E92 M3

Honestly, "drone" is subjective... just like whether a car is too "stiff". It all depends on your tolerance. The best way to go is to hear it in person, then make your own decision. I see that you live in CA, there should be plenty of M3s with aftermarket exhausts.
      04-23-2009, 11:16 PM   #35
TRZ06
Captain

Drives: 08' IB E90 M3

The loudness of your external video is how the pace system sounded from inside. In your inside video it sounds waay too quiet for me.
07' 335i E90: KWV2, H&R Sways, SSTT
01' & 04' Corvette Z06
TRZ06 is offline   United_States
      04-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #36
John@BMW
I can't belive this car is a 4 door family sedan.

Drives: 2008 M3 sedan, '96 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
The loudness of your external video is how the pace system sounded from inside. In your inside video it sounds waay too quiet for me.
do not judge the 'volume' of the video, just listen to the sound. It is impossible to acurately capture the true sound and volume of an exhaust and then compress it and upload it on the internet.

You really do need to hear it in person.

It is also next to impossible to have a loud exhaust without the droning. It just does not work that way.....
      04-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #37
dhoggm3
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
Actually the AA and Eisenmann have posted approximately 15 whp from exhaust only so its not JUST sound...
No, I said the BLING probably doesn't add any RWHP. The freer breathing most certainly does.