BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
808MGuy
Colonel
 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 2,270
iTrader: (3)

Progress on my Hi-fi system upgrade

I'm getting closer to finishing! I try to work on it a few hours a week or whenever I get the chance so this has been moving really slowly but I'm almost there.

Here's some pics:

Zapco DC 650.6 mounted in the trunk tray


Tapping the OEM preamp signal with a modified Zapco symbilink connector. I installed the molex connectors but the factory wiring is still connected. The hanging connector is the one for the Zapco. When I'm ready, I will disconnect the factory wiring and plug the Zapco.




Test fitting the door speakers




Preparing the tweeter mounts. I bought new window trims to hack up so I could do this well in advance of actually putting it in the car








Now all that's left is to remove the sub enclosures and install the SWS8s. And then there's going to be the hours of tuning that needs to be done once this is all up and running!
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

808MGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
 
Bluesummer's Avatar
 
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Nürburgring, be there once, your heart, your soul will stay there.

Posts: 15,406
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
subscribed!
__________________

R.I.P. Steve Noh
Bluesummer is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
red998
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 SG '10 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hudson County

Posts: 492
iTrader: (0)

subscribed
red998 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2010, 01:49 AM   #4
doba_s
Major General
 
doba_s's Avatar
 
Drives: M3, 1M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 6,101
iTrader: (26)

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
nice job ! I am still gathering some parts to get my kit installed.
doba_s is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2010, 04:10 AM   #5
808MGuy
Colonel
 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 2,270
iTrader: (3)

More progress from this weekend. All the speakers are installed and connected. Everything is working and now I just need to go through the final tuning. I am having some noise issues that I'm working on similar to what has been described by other on this forum as a slight buzzing sound coming from the tweeters. It is not volume or RPM dependent. It comes on as soon as the amp switches on.

Here's some new pictures:

I decided to put a 3/16" thick rubber weatherstrip around the edge of the mid to help it seal to the back of the door panel.






Here's the modified OEM sub enclosure with the SWS mounted. That binding post terminal just so happened to fit perfect in the space where the OEM terminal is located. It also creates a perfect seal since it is gasketed on the bottom as well.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

808MGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
Trier Germany
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Deutschland KreisTrier auf Autobahn 64 & Tucson AZ

Posts: 1,085
iTrader: (1)

Sweet, your systems gonna jam,rock,kick ass!
Trier Germany is offline   Luxembourg
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
kmarei
Major General
 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

Posts: 6,480
iTrader: (33)

Garage List
great job on the sub enclosure
would love to hear your setup once its done
do the 344is speakers clear the door?
do they hit the window?
kmarei is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
808MGuy
Colonel
 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 2,270
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
great job on the sub enclosure
would love to hear your setup once its done
do the 344is speakers clear the door?
do they hit the window?
No problems with clearance on the 344is. Its the same depth as the Morels a lot of people are using. Honestly, the system sounds like crap now since I haven't had the time to make adjustments to the EQ and crossover but from the small adjustments I have made, the potential is there for it to sound really good. Right now, I have the 344is playing down to 100Hz and they have no problem handling that at full volume.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

808MGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
kmarei
Major General
 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

Posts: 6,480
iTrader: (33)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
No problems with clearance on the 344is. Its the same depth as the Morels a lot of people are using. Honestly, the system sounds like crap now since I haven't had the time to make adjustments to the EQ and crossover but from the small adjustments I have made, the potential is there for it to sound really good. Right now, I have the 344is playing down to 100Hz and they have no problem handling that at full volume.
same here
my system sounded perfect
then i just installed the 3sixty.2 this morning ( i want the time alignment, never tried it and always wanted to test it)
and haven't had time to tune it yet

what frequency are you crossing the 344is at?
cuz my tweeters need to be crossed over at 5Khz
so can the 344is run that high?
i found a brand new set at a great price
and always liked A/D/S
kmarei is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
kmarei
Major General
 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

Posts: 6,480
iTrader: (33)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Right now, I have the 344is playing down to 100Hz and they have no problem handling that at full volume.
is that 50 watts rms?
or 100w?
kmarei is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
808MGuy
Colonel
 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 2,270
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
same here
my system sounded perfect
then i just installed the 3sixty.2 this morning ( i want the time alignment, never tried it and always wanted to test it)
and haven't had time to tune it yet

what frequency are you crossing the 344is at?
cuz my tweeters need to be crossed over at 5Khz
so can the 344is run that high?
i found a brand new set at a great price
and always liked A/D/S
Right now the 344is is being sent a bandpass signal between 100Hz and 5kHz. I might play around with the low pass frequency and change it to 4kHz to see what it sounds like. The Zapco DC650.6 is 50W/ch on channels 1-4 and 100W/ch on 5/6. I have the a/d/s px concept tweeters hooked up to 1/2, 344is mids to 3/4 and the SWS bridged to 5/6.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

808MGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #12
mvagusta
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 m3 coup
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: michigan

Posts: 475
iTrader: (1)

ADS is unbelievable.. I remember i had a ads amplifyier. That was so clean and powerful. I think I'm going to go all ads. As soon as i'm done with the exterior..
mvagusta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2010, 02:03 AM   #13
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
 
Drives: Slowly
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: At home

Posts: 2,731
iTrader: (1)

Don't. a/d/s/ is junk now.
quality_sound is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2010, 05:06 AM   #14
808MGuy
Colonel
 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 2,270
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Don't. a/d/s/ is junk now.
Technically a/d/s doesn't even exist anymore. They have been out of business for at least 6-7 years now and for another 3 years or so before that, they were not the same company as they once were because they were sold to DEI. You gotta get the really old stuff which is typically only available used or on ebay.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

808MGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2010, 07:02 AM   #15
kmarei
Major General
 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

Posts: 6,480
iTrader: (33)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Technically a/d/s doesn't even exist anymore. They have been out of business for at least 6-7 years now and for another 3 years or so before that, they were not the same company as they once were because they were sold to DEI. You gotta get the really old stuff which is typically only available used or on ebay.
but back in the day
they made the best sounding amps
and they last
so getting a used one is not an issue
A/D/S and Soundstream were my 2 favs
i have a soundstream now actually
powering the entire car
4x50 and 120x2
perfect
kmarei is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2010, 07:34 AM   #16
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
 
Drives: Slowly
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: At home

Posts: 2,731
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Technically a/d/s doesn't even exist anymore. They have been out of business for at least 6-7 years now and for another 3 years or so before that, they were not the same company as they once were because they were sold to DEI. You gotta get the really old stuff which is typically only available used or on ebay.
Yeah, it was those DEI years that really killed the name too. Decades of good product name was reuined in 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
but back in the day
they made the best sounding amps
and they last
so getting a used one is not an issue
A/D/S and Soundstream were my 2 favs
i have a soundstream now actually
powering the entire car
4x50 and 120x2
perfect
Oh I know, I used to sell both of those lines. I LOVE their old stuff.
quality_sound is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #17
808MGuy
Colonel
 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 2,270
iTrader: (3)

Just an update for everyone. I have been having some problems with the programming of the DC650.6 amp. I'm starting to think its something I'm doing wrong but that's not really the point of this post. I sent an email to Zapco last night and by early this morning, I got a response from Zapco, a call from my local dealer that I bought it from (I didn't even call them but Zapco told them to follow up with me), and an email from the local Zapco rep offering support. I will be trying to work it out per Zapco's recommendations and if that doesn't work, I'll be going to the dealer and they will try to help me. The local rep might also be at the dealer to help.

With the recent discussion of buying online vs buying from your local dealer, this is definitely a plus for buying local. I don't think I would get this kind of support had I bought it from an unauthorized online dealer or ebay. Although it was slightly more expensive, the support that you get when problems do come up is worth it. Some people might think, well I'm experienced and I know what I'm doing so I don't need help. Well, I'm not exactly a n00b when it comes to car audio either. I've been installing my own systems and friends systems for over 10 years now, have background in electrical engineering, sold home and car audio products for 5 years, and I'm also a former MECP certified installer. No one has all the answers. There will come a time where you need help. While some people might say its easy enough to get tech support through internet forums and other online sources, nothing beats a good old fashioned face-to-face talk with your local dealer. So support your local dealers whenever you can.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

808MGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #18
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,939
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Just an update for everyone. I have been having some problems with the programming of the DC650.6 amp. I'm starting to think its something I'm doing wrong but that's not really the point of this post. I sent an email to Zapco last night and by early this morning, I got a response from Zapco, a call from my local dealer that I bought it from (I didn't even call them but Zapco told them to follow up with me), and an email from the local Zapco rep offering support. I will be trying to work it out per Zapco's recommendations and if that doesn't work, I'll be going to the dealer and they will try to help me. The local rep might also be at the dealer to help.

With the recent discussion of buying online vs buying from your local dealer, this is definitely a plus for buying local. I don't think I would get this kind of support had I bought it from an unauthorized online dealer or ebay. Although it was slightly more expensive, the support that you get when problems do come up is worth it. Some people might think, well I'm experienced and I know what I'm doing so I don't need help. Well, I'm not exactly a n00b when it comes to car audio either. I've been installing my own systems and friends systems for over 10 years now, have background in electrical engineering, sold home and car audio products for 5 years, and I'm also a former MECP certified installer. No one has all the answers. There will come a time where you need help. While some people might say its easy enough to get tech support through internet forums and other online sources, nothing beats a good old fashioned face-to-face talk with your local dealer. So support your local dealers whenever you can.
Zapco is the only brand that, if I recommend somebody to buy it and specially the DC series, it better be in an authorized dealer.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2010, 03:35 AM   #19
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
 
Drives: Slowly
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: At home

Posts: 2,731
iTrader: (1)

I bought mine used and got excellent service from Rob Rugani.

Billy, I'm sure the solution I told you abot on DIYMA will take care of it. FWIW, they don't cover that AT ALL in the manual.
quality_sound is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2010, 03:56 AM   #20
808MGuy
Colonel
 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 2,270
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
I bought mine used and got excellent service from Rob Rugani.

Billy, I'm sure the solution I told you abot on DIYMA will take care of it. FWIW, they don't cover that AT ALL in the manual.
Yup. I tried it tonight. Press enter, it gives you audible confirmation, and then everything is good. Now I just have to spend some time tuning. I will probably get the help of a friend to do it. I did some on the fly adjustments tonight while going through about 4 of the Focal discs. So far, I'm rather impressed about what those SWS-8s will do in those little plastic enclosures. I'm also impressed by the fact that it seems like the iDrive HU can go full tilt with no audible distortion or noise. The 344is are playing down to 100Hz right now and even at full tilt they don't bottom and bass guitar plucks actually sound pretty good. I also have the SWS-8 overlapping right now crossed over at 125Hz. On certain types of music is sounds good but on others, the 100Hz low pass setting sounds cleaner. I'll fool around with it more over the next week or so and see where it goes.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

808MGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2010, 02:01 AM   #21
SCtud
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 E93 M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CT

Posts: 324
iTrader: (1)

this looks great! (the speaker adapters i got from you are awesome as well). did you figure out the source of the buzzing from the tweeter? did that sound exist before you upgraded the system?

i've ordered all the parts for my system as well! not sure if you are set on the zapco, but this amp looks incredible and would match your a/d/s setup! would be an amp to last you a lifetime and potentially retain its value as a collectors item.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-a-d-s-PX-a-...item4cec536345
SCtud is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2010, 02:26 AM   #22
808MGuy
Colonel
 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 2,270
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtud View Post
this looks great! (the speaker adapters i got from you are awesome as well). did you figure out the source of the buzzing from the tweeter? did that sound exist before you upgraded the system?

i've ordered all the parts for my system as well! not sure if you are set on the zapco, but this amp looks incredible and would match your a/d/s setup! would be an amp to last you a lifetime and potentially retain its value as a collectors item.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-a-d-s-PX-a-...item4cec536345
I haven't found the source of the buzzing yet but I have been able to minimize it so I can't really tell its there unless I put my ear right on the tweeter grill. I have been told that it could be coming from the HU and that its somewhat common on BMWs so I might not be able to get rid of it entirely. I'm going to try a few more things before I give up trying to chase it because the way it is now I could probably live with it.

As far as the a/d/s amp goes, that thing is just too huge! If I were to upgrade amps, I would probably look at either an Audison LRx and BitOne combo or if I really wanted to get crazy again, I'd get some Tru Technology amps like I had in my Audi or even try Sinfoni.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

808MGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST