BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Evolve Automotive

04-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #23
SnowGator
Enlisted Member

Drives: '09 M3 Sedan

If I do a search on bmwusa.com for 'm3 extended maintenance' it comes up with a page that lists the cost at $2695, as other have pointed out.

(http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...cessories.aspx)

I can't figure out how to find that page other than searching for it though.

So... if it's just extended maintenance as others have pointed out, it only covers scheduled maintenance right?

How many scheduled service calls are there between 50K and 100K miles? Is the timing belt in there? I don't have my car yet, and the online owner's manual doesn't seem to have the service intervals listed.

As for extended warranty, I haven't been able to find any pricing for that, much less what it covers (drivetrain only, bumper-bumper, etc)

Without knowing the above, it's hard to understand what you're actually paying for. As for the upgraded sound system... I passed on it. Most of the music I'll be listening to will be on the radio or via MP3 -- don't really need an audiophile system for that... that's what the home theater system is for.
      04-16-2009, 04:18 PM   #24
Voltigeur
MacroRisk

Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowGator View Post
So... if it's just extended maintenance as others have pointed out, it only covers scheduled maintenance right?

How many scheduled service calls are there between 50K and 100K miles? Is the timing belt in there? I don't have my car yet, and the online owner's manual doesn't seem to have the service intervals listed.

As for extended warranty, I haven't been able to find any pricing for that, much less what it covers (drivetrain only, bumper-bumper, etc)

Without knowing the above, it's hard to understand what you're actually paying for. As for the upgraded sound system... I passed on it. Most of the music I'll be listening to will be on the radio or via MP3 -- don't really need an audiophile system for that... that's what the home theater system is for.
Completely agree. I have subsequently realized that this is not a warranty (duh on me) so, given that modern Bimmers 'inform' the driver when the car is due for service - in my case the green lights can go for 12-15k before suggesting an oil change etc, then will I end up paying ~$900 / service. I drive over 80 miles/day commuting hence it's easy on the car's components. Then it does not make sense (and I haven't even done the FV calcs) to pay so much for maintenance.

So, I think I need to go back to the CA to talk about a full warranty. That's really what I'm concerned about.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Voltigeur is offline   Australia
      04-16-2009, 04:54 PM   #25
Sedan_Clan
Banned

Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalley View Post
i have to be honest and say the base sound just fine. i personally didn't hear enough of a difference to justify the cost but listen to both and make up your own mind.
I'm with you darkalley. My base system is adequate for me. Although I can hear the difference between the base & the premium systems, it wasn't enough to justify the cost for me.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
      04-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #26
ersin
Brigadier General

Drives: 08 IB E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Completely agree. I have subsequently realized that this is not a warranty (duh on me) so, given that modern Bimmers 'inform' the driver when the car is due for service - in my case the green lights can go for 12-15k before suggesting an oil change etc, then will I end up paying ~$900 / service. I drive over 80 miles/day commuting hence it's easy on the car's components. Then it does not make sense (and I haven't even done the FV calcs) to pay so much for maintenance.

So, I think I need to go back to the CA to talk about a full warranty. That's really what I'm concerned about.
In the US we get FULL warranty for 4 years/50,000 miles. Extended warranty just extends this to 6 years/100,000 miles for a price.

In the US we also get maintenance (Ultimate Maintenance?) for 4/50 too. We can now pay for extended maintenance which just, you guessed it, extends it to 6/100. Just like the warranty. But don't get the warranty and maintenance mixed up. Changing oil is covered under maintenance but not covered under warranty. A transmission failure (assuming driven normally) is covered under warranty but not maintenance.

Also, be aware that third parties (e.g. insurance companies) also offer extended warranties and I think some may also offer maintenance plans.

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
ersin is offline   United_States
      04-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #27
PoorMan
Hello my name is...

Drives: 2009 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdernst View Post
It's true - the original owner can buy it anytime before the original warranty expires. About the only chance you take in waiting is that the price of the extended warranty will go up between now and when you buy it.

Mike
+1 All car warranty's are like that.

So I'd say get the extended sound (no install hassles) now. And if you need it an ext warranty later.
PoorMan is offline   United_States
      04-17-2009, 08:35 PM   #28
SnowGator
Enlisted Member

Drives: '09 M3 Sedan

Email from the finance person at my local dealership -- I was trying to clarify coverage and cost of extended maintenance and extended warranty:
"The price for the warranty extension is $4875.00 that and the price of the maintenance extension has gone up significantly and is now $2795.00 for that option. Now, by extending the maintenance you'll extend your coverage for a total of 6 years or 100,000 miles. The coverage is identical to the first 50k. It will cover all services, 60k, 75k, 100k. Plus oil services and complete brake job, as well as external belts, hoses, and wiper blades. It is worth every penny, let me tell you!!!! The warranty extension carries the same time frame and mileage extension. Their are some subtle differences between the original 50k and the extended portion. The extended warranty carries a $50.00 deductible, and there are a few items that would not be covered, the radio, navigation, and some of the suspension components will no longer be covered. lease give me a call so we can go over this further as there is so much to go over with this!"
      04-18-2009, 09:39 PM   #29
darkalley
Captain

Drives: Gone- 08 DCT SSII, 2006 SMG
Location: Current: 2014 BMW 4-Series Convert for the fiance w M Package, F150, 06 S2000, 08 911 c4s

$5k!!!!!! wow that is insane for "peace of mind".
      04-18-2009, 10:50 PM   #30
Ronin13
First Lieutenant

Drives: DKG E92 M3, S2K, JGC

FYI. In the general section, there is a thread on getting the extended maintenance for $1695.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252541
Ronin13 is offline   United_States