BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

GetBMWParts

04-11-2009, 12:22 AM   #1
e46/92 M3 Heaven
Internet Nube - Experienced M Driver
United_States
Rep

Drives: e46 Competition to e92

Enhanced Sound vs. Extended Maintenance

If you were ordering a new e92 M3 for a 60 month purchase (like me ) but are getting to the end of your monetary rope, would you opt for the ~$2,700 USD Maintenance or the $1,900 enhanced sound sytem. I'm no audiophile, but the system kicked arse when I tested with the V-8 off on my test drive.

On the flip side, I will go WELL over 50k miles during my purchase period, and me thinks the $2,700 is a damn good price for the protection plan.

For those in the know, can I get the best of both worlds...premium sound now and the BMW (not brand X) extended maintenance a few months down the road (for the same price as I can get now) once I can free up some more cabbage?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 01:38 AM   #2
Rimola
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Dodge Viper

Send a message via AIM to Rimola
go for the extended warranty...6 yrs/100K is Just 1 visit after warranty expires to the dealer, could cost you half the price of the extended warranty you're offered now. That is, if you plan on keeping the car for the next 6 yrs. Also, might be a dumb Q, but is the extended warranty transferable ? If you ever do decide to sell the car, im sure it would make a good selling point...

btw, is the premium sound that dope ? someone fill me in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Still imagine the number of farts cloth seats absorb over 4 years???
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 01:50 AM   #3
Chiafrog
Rep

Drives: E90 '09 M3/DCT

I always hesitate to provide "official" information, but unless I misunderstood my SA when I picked up my car (Which is possible since I was on cloud nine at the time), then my understanding was that you could add the additional maintenance plan at any time right up until the day the basic warranty expired. I specifically opted out because I understood that I could add it anytime in the future. I hope I didn't misunderstand that as that would definately be my loss.

As for the premium sound, I can't compare to non-premium, since I have not heard the basic sound system, but while I won't go so far as others and say that dislike it, I can say that I've been underwhelmed with it. I actually preferred the upgraded system in my 335 over this system. Maybe I just haven't adjusted it quite right yet, but it's not as clear as I would hope.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 04:33 AM   #4
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep

Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimola View Post
go for the extended warranty...6 yrs/100K is Just 1 visit after warranty expires to the dealer, could cost you half the price of the extended warranty you're offered now. That is, if you plan on keeping the car for the next 6 yrs. Also, might be a dumb Q, but is the extended warranty transferable ? If you ever do decide to sell the car, im sure it would make a good selling point...

btw, is the premium sound that dope ? someone fill me in...
The extended warranty is transferable, but only the original owner can purchase the warranty.

The premium sound in the m3 is one of the best sounding stock systems I've heard. Every "standard" BMW sound system is very sub-par which is why every BMW I get will have the premium sound, even if it's just on par with other "regular" sound systems.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
Rep

Drives: 2009 Space Gray M3 Sedan M-DCT

Agree. Base sound is shit. Horrible. Distorted at reasonable volume. My enhanced sound, for me, sounds better than the GS400 Lexus Nakamichi, LS430 Lexus Levinson, and Infiniti Bose in M45. I left out my Merc C32AMG as that stereo was mediocre at best. I personally have owned the above, except the LS430 which is my dads.

I am still surprised at the beating the enhanced takes on this forum. I am starting to think it is mainly from folks who are getting the M3 after owning a car with an aftermarket system

For an OEM, the enhanced is great.

$1900 is not bad either (a little less since this is MSRP). Especially when compared against the cost of M3 mods. $1000 for a diffuser, $2500 for mufflers, $1000 for ECU tune, etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
The premium sound in the m3 is one of the best sounding stock systems I've heard. Every "standard" BMW sound system is very sub-par which is why every BMW I get will have the premium sound, even if it's just on par with other "regular" sound systems.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Ronin13
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: DKG E92 M3, S2K, JGC

I think people are confusing the extended warranty with the recent allowance of the extended maintenance program on the M. The OP said maintenance so we're talking oil changes and brake pads here in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
darkalley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: Gone- 08 DCT SSII, 2006 SMG
Location: Current: 2014 BMW 4-Series Convert for the fiance w M Package, F150, 06 S2000, 08 911 c4s

i have to be honest and say the base sound just fine. i personally didn't hear enough of a difference to justify the cost but listen to both and make up your own mind.
      04-11-2009, 09:21 PM   #8
cut2qr
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 M3 sedan

thats 's right , the extended warranty is more like 6k. 5400 dealer cost. I have not pulled the trigger on the extended warranty or extended maintanience plan yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 06:22 AM   #9
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep

Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Got quoted for the extended warranty at 5k. I'll decide down the road if I really need it...

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #10
jml
Captain
Rep

Drives: E90M3

Extended warranty on my E46 paid for itself first visit. Needed a new SMG tranny ($9K installed).
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 09:57 AM   #11
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 IB E92 M3

bmwusa dot com quotes $2695 for the extended maintenance.

If you'll be keeping the car for 6 years/100,000 miles it is worth it to get the maintenance, IMO.

If you do not get the premium sound you could get aftermarket parts for the same price and have just as good or better audio. Do you like working on your car? If so, go the aftermarket route later.

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #12
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 Jerez Black M3

Garage List
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post
Agree. Base sound is shit. Horrible. Distorted at reasonable volume. My enhanced sound, for me, sounds better than the GS400 Lexus Nakamichi, LS430 Lexus Levinson, and Infiniti Bose in M45. I left out my Merc C32AMG as that stereo was mediocre at best. I personally have owned the above, except the LS430 which is my dads.

I am still surprised at the beating the enhanced takes on this forum. I am starting to think it is mainly from folks who are getting the M3 after owning a car with an aftermarket system

For an OEM, the enhanced is great.

$1900 is not bad either (a little less since this is MSRP). Especially when compared against the cost of M3 mods. $1000 for a diffuser, $2500 for mufflers, $1000 for ECU tune, etc etc.
+1 you are right about the price of the mods. You are going to find yourself paying a good grip once the mod bug gets on you I still can't get it off me . Get the enhanced sound its great and worth the money. I alway been a person for a after market systems until I tested out the enhanced sound and I love it you can't beat it. Get the extended warranty down the road

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger,SPEC Super Twin Disk Clutch,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, AA X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,Arkym CF rear Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #13
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

my question is, is the extended warrenty bumper-to-bumper like the original 4yr? I bought into the Saab extened warrenty here in the UK and it was a fucking waste of $1300. I had the driver seat lumbar support break, right door lock and the Air conditioner return line go. Nothing was covered under the extended. Just major mechanical stuff like a head gasket or drive train. And normally at 40,000 miles, that almost never really happens. I'd go with the premium sound, enjoy it and if you take care of the car, you probebly wont' need to spend thousands on stuff the extended warrenty covers.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #14
Rimola
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Dodge Viper

Send a message via AIM to Rimola
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1 View Post
Get the extended warranty down the road
so is it true ? do you have the option of buying extended warranty before your initial 4yrs/50K is over ? if that is the case, you really don't have to jump the gun and buy it when you order. instead you can wait, and see how the car treats you for the first 4 yrs...just my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Still imagine the number of farts cloth seats absorb over 4 years???
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #15
mdernst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 Tesla Model S

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimola View Post
so is it true ? do you have the option of buying extended warranty before your initial 4yrs/50K is over ? if that is the case, you really don't have to jump the gun and buy it when you order. instead you can wait, and see how the car treats you for the first 4 yrs...just my opinion
It's true - the original owner can buy it anytime before the original warranty expires. About the only chance you take in waiting is that the price of the extended warranty will go up between now and when you buy it.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 06:49 PM   #16
Cab5er
Colonel
China
Rep

Drives: 09 E90 M3 & 07 TL

Get enhanced sound. The warranty is so far down the road. Worry about it later.

E90 ///M3/ AW/ Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #17
Ronin13
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: DKG E92 M3, S2K, JGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post

If you'll be keeping the car for 6 years/100,000 miles it is worth it to get the maintenance, IMO.

If you do not get the premium sound you could get aftermarket parts for the same price and have just as good or better audio. Do you like working on your car? If so, go the aftermarket route later.
Thanks for finding the MSRP of the extended maintenance program. A lot of posts here on extended warranty recommendations, but the OP said maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #18
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

-

I opted for both but if I had to choose - I do a LOT of miles - I would go for ext maintenance. As a posted said above: 1 big ticket item can more than justify this up-front cost.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #19
Johndoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 09 M3 sedan

warranty is not $5400

Quote:
Originally Posted by cut2qr View Post
thats 's right , the extended warranty is more like 6k. 5400 dealer cost. I have not pulled the trigger on the extended warranty or extended maintanience plan yet.
be careful- I also got the $5400 quote for 6yr/100k - the actual warranty is $4875.....tell them to recheck .....
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #20
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46/92 M3 Heaven View Post
If you were ordering a new e92 M3 for a 60 month purchase (like me ) but are getting to the end of your monetary rope, would you opt for the ~$2,700 USD Maintenance or the $1,900 enhanced sound sytem. I'm no audiophile, but the system kicked arse when I tested with the V-8 off on my test drive.

On the flip side, I will go WELL over 50k miles during my purchase period, and me thinks the $2,700 is a damn good price for the protection plan.

For those in the know, can I get the best of both worlds...premium sound now and the BMW (not brand X) extended maintenance a few months down the road (for the same price as I can get now) once I can free up some more cabbage?
Maybe you are buying a car which goes over your budget.....

If you do insist, I would get the premium sound as you can always get the extended warranty afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #21
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep

Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post

And for this reason I just added it to my spec. Esp. in TX. as it's easy to rack up the miles (just sold 530i leaving me after < 6 yrs w/ 134k mi).

Also, dealers are not entirely aware of the pricing on bmwusa - I got quoted $3,299 - 300 (as a 'discount') upon mentioning ext. maintenance on bmwusa I obtained the quoted price on bmwusa.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #22
duk
///M
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

u can get the ext maintenance later, get prem sound if u must now

Appreciate 0