BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Strasse Wheels

04-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
louie_perm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: *

No need to drive fast

I really enjoy driving this car. I don't feel the need to go fast, or race, or prove anything to anyone, regardless of what they are driving.

I do prefer the back road twisties when possible, but I feel no desire to drop the clutch and see how fast I can get to 60, or 100, or whatever. I enjoy the revving and shifting, but it doesn't matter if I'm downshifting into 3rd or simply taking off from a traffic light. It's just fun! (Still breaking in so I haven't been above ~5,500 rpm yet.)

I also never get tired of looking at it and am continuously trying to figure out how to make more time for detailing it. I'm like a kid in a candy store.

And the sound with the top down--

I traded up from a Dinan Stage III 335xi sedan with Steptronic. It was a very quick (more practical) car, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the M. I suspect that it would have beaten my E93 M3 in a sprint, and I probably could have gotten around a track faster in it. But, I could only respect it--no emotional attachment. AND, I felt compelled to drive it fast to keep from getting bored.

OTOH, I can't keep the grin off my face when driving the M. It's louder, stiffer, probably slower, but I can honestly say that I don't care, because it is sooo sexy and so much more fun to drive. I haven't been this excited about a new car in 20 years.

I think I'm going to go look at it now. Maybe I need to go to the grocery store...or maybe a lap around the beltway for the fun of it.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Bimmer Nerd
I | L Photography
Georgia
Rep

Drives: on the track

nice man nice, M club is addictive, its beautiful from any way you look at it, glad you enjoy it that badly.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
terry
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 M3 Convert Jerez Black

Garage List
Do you have any pics of your car? I'm always looking for more photos of Jz Black E93

E93 M3 Jerez Black / Bamboo Beige / Dinan P1 Performance Package
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

It's posts like this that make me ANXIOUS AS HELL till I get mine
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
skim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07 Z4MC

lol yea i know what you mean.. with this car, you don't even need to drive it
i carpool to work 2 days a week and yesterday was someone else's turn to drive.
so last night, i just missed my baby, so i walked down to the garage and i was just admiring her beauty. after awhile i came up and my roommate asked if i went out for a walk. i told him i was just in the garage starring at my car.
he said i was gone for 40 minutes and i missed a few calls.
      04-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 IB E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie_perm View Post
I traded up from a Dinan Stage III 335xi sedan with Steptronic. It was a very quick (more practical) car, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the M. I suspect that it would have beaten my E93 M3 in a sprint, and I probably could have gotten around a track faster in it.

OTOH, I can't keep the grin off my face when driving the M. It's louder, stiffer, probably slower, but I can honestly say that I don't care, because it is sooo sexy and so much more fun to drive. I haven't been this excited about a new car in 20 years.

I think I'm going to go look at it now. Maybe I need to go to the grocery store...or maybe a lap around the beltway for the fun of it.
You haven't taken it past 5500 rpm yet, so reserve your judgment on whether the 335 is faster until you've revved it. Also be aware that the M3 makes speed without as much drama as other cars, thereby making it seem slower. (The E46 M3 was this way too, but the E9x M3 even more so.) It also means you need to be careful out on the street. You might think you're going 60 but in reality you might be doing 80.

I can ask my doctor friend if he knows of a good plastic surgeon. Without one, I doubt that grin will come off of your face.

Enjoy.

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
louie_perm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I really should take some pics. Work's been busy lately, so the M hasn't been washed for almost 2 weeks. It's supposed to rain tonight and early tomorrow, so I'm hoping to get out and give her a nice detail tomorrow afternoon. I'll try to remember to take some pics.

I've been slowly but surely detailing the interior in the evenings with what light I have after work. I've got every surface cleaned and conditioned/protected now, except for the inside of the glass. I use various products from Autogeek.net--Pinnacle, Wolfgang, Diamondite. On the leather, I go all Pinnacle, which seems to be good stuff. All of it water-based, VOC and silicone free, and Ph neutral. None of the products I use leave a shine, which is how I like it. Everything looks clean, and the natural color is heightened, but no gloss or unnatural sheen.

By the way, the only thing different from stock is the smoked reflectors I installed. They essentially disappear with the JZB paint color, but they still reflect--which I figured is probably a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
louie_perm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
You haven't taken it past 5500 rpm yet, so reserve your judgment on whether the 335 is faster until you've revved it. Also be aware that the M3 makes speed without as much drama as other cars, thereby making it seem slower. (The E46 M3 was this way too, but the E9x M3 even more so.) It also means you need to be careful out on the street. You might think you're going 60 but in reality you might be doing 80.

I can ask my doctor friend if he knows of a good plastic surgeon. Without one, I doubt that grin will come off of your face.

Enjoy.
Oh, don't get me wrong. The car doesn't feel slow at all. I was trying to make the point about how I don't have to drive fast to have fun. As far as the comparison goes, I don't know one way or the other first hand. I was just basing my guesses on various times others have posted.

The two cars a very different, and as you point out, I haven't experienced just how different yet. The bottom end is where the 335 is so impressive, while the top end is the M3's bread and butta.

I am of the opinion that the high-revving nature of the M3's engine makes having the 6MT even more fun. I'm sure some will disagree, and that's good--else we'd all have the same car. It's also the high-revving nature of the engine that makes this car so different from all the others I've had--not that I'm any afficianado (sp?), by the way. The rest of the package is sweet, and higher quality than I've ever owned before, but it's the engine that makes this car special.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #9
BMWDEMON
Super modder
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 M3 & E46 M3 vert

OK, I am heading home to go drive mine...thanks!

M
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
vinnycg
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe

This my first bmw, coming from an Infiniti background. My g35 was pretty modded and that car I would always be staring at. I couldn't walk away from the car without constantly turning around and looking at the car again.

I'm not like that with my M but with the mods going on I will probably get there. One thing I will say though is I feel so much more connected with this car. I just want to get out and drive it all the time. Its my first MT car as well so the stick thing is crazy fun. I don't even mind it in NYC traffic...Im sure thats going to change over time.

-Vin
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #11
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 6MT AW

When my license was suspended until I went to court for some speeding tickets

I would go to the garage and sit in it for awhile just start her up....maybe drive her around the block and park it, but don't tell anyone.

I love the look and the sound so much. I really get frustrated when people call it ugly or girly,, and of course they're in something like a Saab 9/3 talking smack
      04-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #12
louie_perm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda///Monic View Post
I love the look and the sound so much. I really get frustrated when people call it ugly or girly,, and of course they're in something like a Saab 9/3 talking smack

GIRLY!?!? Haven't heard that one.

Not the kind of girls I prefer. Too muscular and bulging. Ass is too wide and mouth is too big.

You can be sure that someone--probably more than a few--will disagree with your tastes. Don't let it bother you.

De gustibus non est disputandum--it's pointless to argue over matters of opinion. Or, as usually put, there's no accounting for tastes.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #13
TIMBO_M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie_perm View Post
GIRLY!?!? Haven't heard that one.

Not the kind of girls I prefer. Too muscular and bulging. Ass is too wide and mouth is too big.

2009 E92 M3 6MT Jet Black
Mods: MS Air Filter | MS spacers (bulldog stance) | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | Matte Black Kidney Grills and Gills | BMW Performance Pedals | EAS Aftermarket Alarm System| AiB Headlights | Tint
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #14
Chiafrog
Rep

Drives: E90 '09 M3/DCT

I couldn't agree more with this.

I'm a relatively new M3 owner - came over from a Dinan Chipped 335i that I'd had for 2 years and all I can say is WOW!

I thoroughly enjoyed that 335, and I've struggled to explain what the difference in the 335 and the M3 is, but I have yet to accurately describe it. The closest I can come is to echo what the OP said although I hadn't really thought about it in those terms before.

I love this car, but I don't usually drive it fast. I am a MUCH calmer and more considerate driver in my M than I was in my 335. To feel like I was getting the most out of my 335 I was always pushing it hard - flooring it off the line when the light turned green. Tail sliding around a corner, etc.. Being honest with myself - yeah - showing off a little, even if it was just to myself. The car was great, but I felt I needed to be under hard acceleration to get that "special" feel.

The M3 on the other had just feels SO different - not just than the 335, but than any car I've owned or driven previously. It oozes competence, I don't know any other word for it. I don't need to floor it off the line, I already know this car can handle it. It doesn't bother me if someone passes me on the freeway, I have nothing to prove because every signal the car is sending me is one of absolute, complete control. I don't need to drive hard and crazy to create a grin on my face. The one I have is already cemented into place. Don't get me wrong - I loved my 335, but I didn't understand what true car adoration was until I got my M3. I parked by 335 wherever was most convenient. I now go to great lengths to insure my M is parked where I can see it from my office window.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't still enjoy the occasional quick launch, or spirited drive up a canyon road with the tires squealing, but the difference is that now I'm smiling in my car even when I'm not doing those (although at high RPMS or agressive turning, the smile actually turns into full blown excited laughter at times) - the car just has so much personality in it's handling and feel that even every-day mundane driving has come alive.

And to the comment by the OP that maybe his 335 would have gotten around a track faster, I personally would disagree. I believe that my chipped 335 was comparable to my M3 in raw acceleration (With the exception that the lack of an LSD on the 335 REALLY hurt when laying down that much torque), and maybe an expert driver could have gotten similar behavior out of the two, but I've always driven a bit conservatively on the track, and the M just inspires so much more confidence I guarantee that if I were driving I would shave a substantial amount of time off any lap I did in the 335 just because I"m willing to drive it at the limit because it is so clear where that limit is - the M just communicates with the driver on a whole different level. I don't know if it's the suspension, the non run-flat tires, the adjustable damping control, the weight distribution, the diff, or if it's just in my head, but my confidence while driving the M is night and day. Oh - and the engine - that lovely lovely engine. Has such a beautiful smooth power band.

Anyways - enough of the drooling - time for me to get in my car and head home. And then even better - go out to dinner with the in-laws. NO, I'm not crazy, and I'm not looking forward to dinner with the in-laws, but I AM looking forward to the 45 mile drive there. At least tonight I won't need to make up an excuse to go for a drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #15
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep

Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiafrog View Post
I couldn't agree more with this.

I'm a relatively new M3 owner - came over from a Dinan Chipped 335i that I'd had for 2 years and all I can say is WOW!

I thoroughly enjoyed that 335, and I've struggled to explain what the difference in the 335 and the M3 is, but I have yet to accurately describe it. The closest I can come is to echo what the OP said although I hadn't really thought about it in those terms before.

I love this car, but I don't usually drive it fast. I am a MUCH calmer and more considerate driver in my M than I was in my 335. To feel like I was getting the most out of my 335 I was always pushing it hard - flooring it off the line when the light turned green. Tail sliding around a corner, etc.. Being honest with myself - yeah - showing off a little, even if it was just to myself. The car was great, but I felt I needed to be under hard acceleration to get that "special" feel.

The M3 on the other had just feels SO different - not just than the 335, but than any car I've owned or driven previously. It oozes competence, I don't know any other word for it. I don't need to floor it off the line, I already know this car can handle it. It doesn't bother me if someone passes me on the freeway, I have nothing to prove because every signal the car is sending me is one of absolute, complete control. I don't need to drive hard and crazy to create a grin on my face. The one I have is already cemented into place. Don't get me wrong - I loved my 335, but I didn't understand what true car adoration was until I got my M3. I parked by 335 wherever was most convenient. I now go to great lengths to insure my M is parked where I can see it from my office window.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't still enjoy the occasional quick launch, or spirited drive up a canyon road with the tires squealing, but the difference is that now I'm smiling in my car even when I'm not doing those (although at high RPMS or agressive turning, the smile actually turns into full blown excited laughter at times) - the car just has so much personality in it's handling and feel that even every-day mundane driving has come alive.

And to the comment by the OP that maybe his 335 would have gotten around a track faster, I personally would disagree. I believe that my chipped 335 was comparable to my M3 in raw acceleration (With the exception that the lack of an LSD on the 335 REALLY hurt when laying down that much torque), and maybe an expert driver could have gotten similar behavior out of the two, but I've always driven a bit conservatively on the track, and the M just inspires so much more confidence I guarantee that if I were driving I would shave a substantial amount of time off any lap I did in the 335 just because I"m willing to drive it at the limit because it is so clear where that limit is - the M just communicates with the driver on a whole different level. I don't know if it's the suspension, the non run-flat tires, the adjustable damping control, the weight distribution, the diff, or if it's just in my head, but my confidence while driving the M is night and day. Oh - and the engine - that lovely lovely engine. Has such a beautiful smooth power band.

Anyways - enough of the drooling - time for me to get in my car and head home. And then even better - go out to dinner with the in-laws. NO, I'm not crazy, and I'm not looking forward to dinner with the in-laws, but I AM looking forward to the 45 mile drive there. At least tonight I won't need to make up an excuse to go for a drive.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #16
BCMPOWER
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 Silverstone II M3

Louie congratulations on the M3, hopefully I'll run into you at one of our regional meets, if not on 495! Enjoy! and many more miles to ya!
      04-12-2009, 01:09 AM   #17
louie_perm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiafrog View Post
You may be right Frog. As I said, I don't know one way or the other--never been on the track. Part of my thinking was that my 335 was an Xi, and a novice like myself might be better off with AWD. It's a moot point for me anyway, as the CCA doesn't allow verts on the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMPOWER View Post
Louie congratulations on the M3, hopefully I'll run into you at one of our regional meets, if not on 495! Enjoy! and many more miles to ya!
Thanks BC. I'll make it to a meet at some point--been pretty busy lately. I'd like to meet you guys. Any of you play golf? I have the hardest time finding golfing buddies in this area--originally from S.C.
Appreciate 0