BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #45
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Legacy GT - 13.704@99.39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
...I'll see if I can dig up Bruce Augstein's explanation, since it is arguable the best out there. Or maybe he'll just chime in.
Thanks for the plaudit. It's here.
      03-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #46
Eliminator
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 M3 SSII 6M, '87 911

Hey JM1234, wouldn't the blue and red line meet where the 6MT hit 8,300 RPM (where the MT meets the CVT set point)?
Eliminator is offline   United_States
      03-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #47
jm1234
Lieutenant

Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliminator View Post
Hey JM1234, wouldn't the blue and red line meet where the 6MT hit 8,300 RPM (where the MT meets the CVT set point)?
Umm, well yes The 6MT plot was done using engine torque values from car dynos of a stock car (accounting for realistic powertrain losses). The CVT plots were done using published max torque/HP numbers for the engine (ignoring powertrain losses). I was trying to show how the values compared and that one was above the 6MT and the other below. Realistically, I doubt that the powertrain losses for a CVT would match those of a 6MT so the plots probably aren't supposed to touch where they do. Here's the plot you are looking for. I think your right, that doesn't simplify things. It still shows that an engine at max torque even with ideal gearing (CVT at 4000 rpm) will consistently put out less rwt than an engine with un-ideal gearing (6MT) shifted at max HP (actually shifted at redline). With the exception of the low speed torque that induces greater wheelspin but no more acceleration.
Attached Images

03-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #48
earlyapex
Private

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1234 View Post
Umm, well yes The 6MT plot was done using engine torque values from car dynos of a stock car (accounting for realistic powertrain losses). The CVT plots were done using published max torque/HP numbers for the engine (ignoring powertrain losses). I was trying to show how the values compared and that one was above the 6MT and the other below. Realistically, I doubt that the powertrain losses for a CVT would match those of a 6MT so the plots probably aren't supposed to touch where they do. Here's the plot you are looking for. I think your right, that doesn't simplify things. It still shows that an engine at max torque even with ideal gearing (CVT at 4000 rpm) will consistently put out less rwt than an engine with un-ideal gearing (6MT) shifted at max HP (actually shifted at redline). With the exception of the low speed torque that induces greater wheelspin but no more acceleration.
Great stuff. Fascinating that the RWT from an "inefficient" 6MT betters that of a CVT at the torque peak. That's a perfect way to show the value of gearing and RPMs.
earlyapex is offline   United_States
      03-29-2009, 11:41 PM   #49
FlyFish
Second Lieutenant

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
Good posts guys.
I have a head ache now
      03-30-2009, 04:28 AM   #50
ericlikescars
Second Lieutenant

Drives: murder.

Very informative posts, this forum is great, at times! Haha
      03-30-2009, 05:15 AM   #51
MrHarris
yodog

Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Very interesting...

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
MrHarris is offline   United_States