BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-21-2009, 03:10 AM   #1
BayerischeMotorenWerke
Second Lieutenant
3

 
BayerischeMotorenWerke's Avatar
 
Drives: slowly and carefully
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Motel 6


Posts: 259
iTrader: (0)

Power and EDC buttons always on?

Total noob question:

When I start my car the EDC is always on sport and the power button is on. Can I change it so when I start the car the EDC is comfort and the power is off?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 03:17 AM   #2
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
88

 
FStop7's Avatar
 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA


Posts: 5,059
iTrader: (3)

key dependent settings in idrive
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
sg///M3
Lieutenant
United_States
4

 
sg///M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC


Posts: 438
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
key dependent settings in idrive
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
22

 
M3 vert's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 M3, '12 750ix, 760Li Ind.
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Everywhere...


Posts: 1,793
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayerischeMotorenWerke View Post
Total noob question:

When I start my car the EDC is always on sport and the power button is on. Can I change it so when I start the car the EDC is comfort and the power is off?
you had a c63 that became a lemon???
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
BayerischeMotorenWerke
Second Lieutenant
3

 
BayerischeMotorenWerke's Avatar
 
Drives: slowly and carefully
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Motel 6


Posts: 259
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
you had a c63 that became a lemon???
Yup, now I have a E92 M3. I just got it yesterday so I'm having a little trouble working the 5 billion options you have on this car.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
47

 
sparkyg's Avatar
 
Drives: EBII 2014 F31 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oil Country


Posts: 3,493
iTrader: (5)

Go to the M settings in the Idrive. Pretty easy from there
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
United_States
4

 
schadenfreude's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 E90 M-DCT M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA


Posts: 424
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
When you're in the M-drive settings go 2 screens to the right for "M Key" settings. Now if I could only get my wife's seat preferences saved in the key (Not that she'll drive it often at all). Mirrors work, but the seat won't take. Maybe she sits too far forward for the car to think it's possible?
__________________
AiB LEDs///MS Filter///Hardwired V1///VentureShield///F1 Pinnacle 35%///IND Reflectors///BMW Performance Grills
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #8
BayerischeMotorenWerke
Second Lieutenant
3

 
BayerischeMotorenWerke's Avatar
 
Drives: slowly and carefully
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Motel 6


Posts: 259
iTrader: (0)

Figured it out. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 02:04 AM   #9
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
22

 
M3 vert's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 M3, '12 750ix, 760Li Ind.
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Everywhere...


Posts: 1,793
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
When you're in the M-drive settings go 2 screens to the right for "M Key" settings. Now if I could only get my wife's seat preferences saved in the key (Not that she'll drive it often at all). Mirrors work, but the seat won't take. Maybe she sits too far forward for the car to think it's possible?
you can select if you want the car to have power mode on all the time and what edc level you want, key dependent settings
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 02:06 AM   #10
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
United_States
4

 
schadenfreude's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 E90 M-DCT M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA


Posts: 424
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
you can select if you want the car to have power mode on all the time and what edc level you want, key dependent settings
Yeah, I got those set, but the seat preferences for her key don't stick. Mine works fine.
__________________
AiB LEDs///MS Filter///Hardwired V1///VentureShield///F1 Pinnacle 35%///IND Reflectors///BMW Performance Grills
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 06:39 AM   #11
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
177

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI


Posts: 13,783
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
Yeah, I got those set, but the seat preferences for her key don't stick. Mine works fine.
Do you have her seat setting set to honor the seat position? There are three settings (at least on my non-iDrive cars, and I assume iDrive cars are the same). The first is no seat recall, the second is recall on unlock, and the third is recall on door open. You have to set one of the two latter ones for it to work, and this setting itself is per key.

That all said, I have always found this feature to be buggy/confusing on my BMWs. Sometimes it just doesn't work properly or consistently.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 08:22 AM   #12
sgar0777
Private
United_States
4

 
sgar0777's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 AW/BLK 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alpharetta, Ga.


Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
When you're in the M-drive settings go 2 screens to the right for "M Key" settings. Now if I could only get my wife's seat preferences saved in the key (Not that she'll drive it often at all). Mirrors work, but the seat won't take. Maybe she sits too far forward for the car to think it's possible?
This has got to be one of the most irritating things about this car. My wife and I both drive the car, and we frequently have two keys on us. The system really struggles to determine which side of the car the keys are on, and what to do with the seat and mirrors. It is completely weird, and really, really irritating.

The only thing that I have found helps, is that if my wife has approached the car from the passenger side, and I am on the drivers, and we open the door, if the seat does not move to the correct position, we can close the drivers door, wait a second or two, and reopen it. It will usually fix itself.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 08:36 AM   #13
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
177

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI


Posts: 13,783
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgar0777 View Post
This has got to be one of the most irritating things about this car. My wife and I both drive the car, and we frequently have two keys on us. The system really struggles to determine which side of the car the keys are on, and what to do with the seat and mirrors. It is completely weird, and really, really irritating.
I've had the problem in the 335i (M3 doesn't have CA). One thing you can do is just use the fob to open instead, athough that defeats the purpose of CA.

But I've had issues with this not working properly even on non-CA cars, and even on CA cars when I am the only one entering the car. I think the decision tree used by the system is actually much more complex than meets the eye. There is definitely timing involved (when was car last unlocked/opened, and by which key) and I also think that it depends on how the seat was adjusted previous (key setting, memory button, or manually).

Quote:
The only thing that I have found helps, is that if my wife has approached the car from the passenger side, and I am on the drivers, and we open the door, if the seat does not move to the correct position, we can close the drivers door, wait a second or two, and reopen it. It will usually fix itself.
What I do when it doesn't work is just hit the memory button on the seat, which has both my and my wife's settings stored. However, I am pretty sure that even the memory buttons themselves are key dependent, so you have to store each of your settings for each key. And of course, this means you can't have two of your own seat settings saved for your own key.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST