BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

INDustry distribution

03-18-2009, 02:35 AM   #23
imballin2day
Banned

Drives: M3 Dct Coupe

Send a message via AIM to imballin2day
Launch Control FTW
imballin2day is offline   United_States
      03-18-2009, 03:03 AM   #24
spyderco10
Colonel

Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

if you have to ask, you don't want one
- John 3:16
spyderco10 is offline   United_States
      03-18-2009, 05:42 AM   #25
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!

Drives: e90 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt beard View Post
It looks better, feels better, sounds better, smells better.....what more reason do you need?
+1
      03-18-2009, 05:46 AM   #26
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!

Drives: e90 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericld View Post
Every part that makes up the M3 is more securely fitted - including the dash mounts, seats, door trim, etc. Every cabin part felt far more solid and made a nice thud over road bumps.
You're not serious are you? While the underpinnings / mechanical stuff are ///M exclusive, the fasteners you are referring to are not.
      03-18-2009, 07:22 AM   #27
NewM3driver
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 m3 sedan

The M3 is better in every way. Buy it and you will understand. The 335 drivers that think their car is "almost" an M3 are just kidding themselves....

You know that old saying... "ignorance is bliss".
      03-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #28
dawgdog
Colonel

Drives: 2010 Porsche GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Either you "need it" or not. You can go to the BMW site and lay them out side-by-side with the equipment that you like.

We're not here to diss the 335, which is a great car, suited to more people than the M3. The M3 is rawer, noisier, but more fun to drive for many of us. It's a complete high performance car that you can take to the track as is.

Dave
My sentiments. I owned a 335 and loved it. Day to day it is a great car, but when pushed to the limits the M really shines. And it performs very well on the track with zero mods. The only drawback to the M is that the gas mileage is 25% less.
AW on Fox Red Extended, Alum trim, ZPP, ZTP, DCT, 19" wheels, Heated front seats, HD radio, Sat radio, I-pod & usb, Premium sound, AP racing BBK, 18 Volk Racing TE 37s, Akrapovic Evolution exhaust, AST suspension
      03-18-2009, 07:53 AM   #29
baarii
Major

Drives: ..

Just the fact that you can customize every ride in that car based on your mood and behaviour sold me!
I came from a e46, test drove a 335 with a dinan chip (and some other dinan mods) at the dealership.. i waited another year or so before the e9x m3 was out I say this on everyones behalf on this forum, well ok 99.9% driving this car .. very satisfying infact pleasurable!
baarii is offline   United_States
      03-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #30
mchm3
Private

Drives: 08 m3 dct

m3 ftmfw
      03-18-2009, 10:05 AM   #31
valeram
Major

Drives: E92 M3 DCT

I traded my 07 E92 335 after a year of use. It is a great car. You can tune it cheaper and it can even be faster than an M3. But it is still not an M3. It is usually the WANT and NEED and most of the time (in my case), I want an M3 even though I don't need it. The same with those VISA or MasterCard commercial, the feeling is priceless.

Test drive one and see and hear for yourself. The moment I heard the engine roar when my CA started the engine, I was already half sold. Then of course the test drive was the finishing touches.
      03-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #32
baarii
Major

Drives: ..

oh and..... its a common effect... everytime you drive it .. it does put a smile on your face!
baarii is offline   United_States
      03-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #33
ericld
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineweissM3 View Post
You're not serious are you? While the underpinnings / mechanical stuff are ///M exclusive, the fasteners you are referring to are not.
You better go do your homework.
      03-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #34
jm1234
Lieutenant

Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERKE View Post
Hi guys, I have a 335 coupe for 2 years and I'm really happy with this car desing, comfort, power ... everything is there. But you see, I am unable to resist M3 when I see one. What are the reasons that should help me decide ... please no stupid answers.
#1, can you afford an M3? If not, then stop right now because nothing anyone can say will change that fact.

If you can afford it, then every aspect of the car is better than a 335 with one exception...gas mileage.

Start with interior, the leather is a much better grade. Knobs, buttons and stitching are higher quality.

Engine, this is the weak area. The M3 engine is clearly an engineering marvel but from a practical perspective it's only marginally better than the 335 engine. From a reliability perspective I believe that the M3 engine will run longer and with less trouble but time will answer this.

Handling, the M3 offers suspension, throttle, steering and DSC options, better tires, better suspension geometry, reinforced suspension geometry for increased durability, better brakes (but still not good enough if you drive the car closer to it's limits).

Body, the M3 offers a distinctly different look that you can decide yourself if you like better.

Sound, the M3 offers higher quality audio as well as better exhaust sound. Of course this too is subjective but evaluate it.

Performance, the M3 offers faster engine response, quicker turn in and better braking. It will feel more lively and more stable and faster speeds. It will get you to 60 faster, through a slalom faster and around a track faster.

If you can afford an M3 then you should be comparing the M3 to the C63, CTS-V and IS-F. Don't compare an M3 to a 335 because they are not competitors. With the exception of gas mileage, it's really a question of if you feel it's worth the money to step up to a better car? Evaluate the better cars and then decide.
      03-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #35
Heat00
Major

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

great responses, LMAO !!!

I have to say, in agreement with someone above, the first time going through the gears during my test drive, I did have a huge smile and my sales guy was counting his commission right there lol.

Heat00 is offline   United_States
      03-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #36
Stinger44
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj41 View Post
Dude,

I traded my 335 coupe in back in February, no regrets on getting my M. Had the same questions of is it worth it, trust me it is. I dropped my wife's X3 off for service last week, and they just got done prepping my 335i for the certified pre owned program, next to my M, it looked like a turd.....
Curious, did you have to come up with quite a bit of cash to complete the deal?
      03-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #37
niqui
Brigadier General

Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

stick with the 335...i''m having trouble holding onto my license.
      03-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #38
mj41
Private First Class

Drives: '12 MR ZCP E92 '13 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger44 View Post
Curious, did you have to come up with quite a bit of cash to complete the deal?
No, just standard lease tax title, & fees. They hit me a little on my lease, since I did end it a few months early, but nothing crazy....
      03-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #39
AZ-BMW
Captain

Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1234 View Post
#1, can you afford an M3? If not, then stop right now because nothing anyone can say will change that fact.

If you can afford it, then every aspect of the car is better than a 335 with one exception...gas mileage.

Start with interior, the leather is a much better grade. Knobs, buttons and stitching are higher quality.

Engine, this is the weak area. The M3 engine is clearly an engineering marvel but from a practical perspective it's only marginally better than the 335 engine. From a reliability perspective I believe that the M3 engine will run longer and with less trouble but time will answer this.

Handling, the M3 offers suspension, throttle, steering and DSC options, better tires, better suspension geometry, reinforced suspension geometry for increased durability, better brakes (but still not good enough if you drive the car closer to it's limits).

Body, the M3 offers a distinctly different look that you can decide yourself if you like better.

Sound, the M3 offers higher quality audio as well as better exhaust sound. Of course this too is subjective but evaluate it.

Performance, the M3 offers faster engine response, quicker turn in and better braking. It will feel more lively and more stable and faster speeds. It will get you to 60 faster, through a slalom faster and around a track faster.

If you can afford an M3 then you should be comparing the M3 to the C63, CTS-V and IS-F. Don't compare an M3 to a 335 because they are not competitors. With the exception of gas mileage, it's really a question of if you feel it's worth the money to step up to a better car? Evaluate the better cars and then decide.
+1
I 2nd everything jm1234 says, except the gas mileage comment; I expected worse and I for one am satisfied with the 19-20mpg I get (given the car's performance; it's like driving on rails)
However, if you want to save some $$$, then buy an M3 via ED and get the -7% off US Invoice, plus whatever markup you get negotiate with your dealer. Or just use one of the forum sponsor CAs

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
AZ-BMW is offline   United_States
      03-19-2009, 12:39 AM   #40
drey
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan, JZB/BB

Just do yourself a favor and test drive the V8 and you will no longer have a dilemma.
drey is offline   United_States