BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

03-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
sayemthree
Brigadier General

Drives: bmw

oh thge good ole days. 1957 vs. now...

does this make you proud of our society or sad?

HIGH SCHOOL 1957 vs. 2007

Scenario 1:

Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.

1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2007 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:

Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2007 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged them with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:

Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.

1957 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The school gets extra money from the state because Jeffrey has a disability

Scenario 4:

Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.

2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:

Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1957 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock.

2007 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:

Pedro fails high school English.

1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.

2007 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:

Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.

1957 - Ants die.

2007 - ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents -- and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:

Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.
      03-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
ruxp
Captain

Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

How would these scenarios play out in 2007?

1957:

A black kid goes to an all white school. He gets called a ******, beaten up, and possibly lynched.

1957:

You emigrate here from Asia legally.

Wait, nevermind. That wouldn't happen. Non-Caucasians weren't allowed to immigrate to the US until 1965.

1957:

You want to go out for some ethnic cuisine. So you go out for pizza - the most exotic food available to you.

1957:

A young child gets leukemia. Since treatment for leukemia doesn't exist, the child dies.

1957:

You watch a TV show, imagining what it might be like if it were in color.

1957:

You take your brand new American sedan to the track, excited to test its handling in the twisties. Since American sedans handled like shit in the 1950s, you crash and die after reaching the exciting speed of 70mph on a long straight before a turn.

The only really good argument for 1957 being better than 2007 is that if this were 1957, nobody would have to read the stupid shit you posted (since neither you nor messageboards would exist).
      03-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
Nixon
Banned

Drives: :

^^ BWAHHAHAHAHA!! I love it ruxp.
      03-17-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
cougfan335
First Lieutenant

Drives: 335i Coupe MT, Montego/Saddle

Ruxp:

Now I finally understand why every Chinatown has a plaque that says est. 1965. I never understood why the ones in Seattle, LA, San Fran and New York all just sprang up in 1965.

I have driven a lot of modern American cars (of the rental variety mostly) and those don't exactly seem to offer a lot of thrills on the track.

50 years of technology progress is great, just imagine how great it would be if things hadn't of gone so ass backward with much of our social evolution.
e92 335i: Montego, Saddle Brown, Burl Walnut, MT, Sport, Prem, CW, PDC, Rear Shade. Mods: JB4, BMS Dual Intake, Cyba Scoops, Beyern Mesh Chrome 19" wheels, 15% F1 tint, LeatherZ weighted shift knob, body color reflectors, Matte black grill with Montego surround, middle lower grill removed, left and right lower grills painted black.
cougfan335 is offline   United_States
      03-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
sayemthree
Brigadier General

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxp View Post
You take your brand new American sedan to the track, excited to test its handling in the twisties. Since American sedans handled like shit in the 1950s, you crash and die after reaching the exciting speed of 70mph on a long straight before a turn.

The only really good argument for 1957 being better than 2007 is that if this were 1957, nobody would have to read the stupid shit you posted (since neither you nor messageboards would exist).
you quite funny!!!
      03-17-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
JHZR2
Captain

Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxp View Post
1957:

You emigrate here from Asia legally.

Wait, nevermind. That wouldn't happen. Non-Caucasians weren't allowed to immigrate to the US until 1965.
Wait... The opium trade was huge here through the late 19th century, with a huge number of folks from Asia coming here to work on projects such as the transcontinental railroad.

What was their status, illegal alien???

Good points on either side though... Over sensitive modern society, but a lot of things are a heck of a lot better than they were.
      03-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
ruxp
Captain

Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
Wait... The opium trade was huge here through the late 19th century, with a huge number of folks from Asia coming here to work on projects such as the transcontinental railroad.

A limited # of Chinese immigrants were allowed to come here legally in the 19th century, as were Indians.. that was done away with in I believe the 1920s (not sure about the exact decade, but you can google it).
      03-17-2009, 11:36 PM   #8
Nixon
Banned

Drives: :

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post

Good points on either side though... Over sensitive modern society, but a lot of things are a heck of a lot better than they were.
Indentured Servitude would be one way to describe their status. The whole deal was actually very ugly.
      03-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #9
EDK99
Captain

Drives: 07 E85 M

You don't have to go all the way back to 1957 for any of those scenario except #1. I was in grade school and high school in the 80's and I went through all those "1957" scenario. Yes things have changed a lot. In this sue happy, I'm offended, your liable at fault society we live in now it will only get worse.

It seems that if you look at someone the wrong way they can press harassment charges against you. It is out of control.
      03-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #10
TMNT
Captain

Drives: 330ci ZHP

You know, FDR once said, "A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward."

Your orginial post matches this perfectly. You conservatives like living in the past and dislike progress other than your own (whether you realize it or not).
      03-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
SoYank
Major General

Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank Send a message via Skype™ to SoYank
Great. Quoting the guy that created the welfare state.
Quaife ATB LSD Short Shift Knob Hartge Anti-Roll Bars AP Racing Front Brakes 19" Style 269
SoYank is offline   United_States
      03-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #12
aut0sh0cker
meh

Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Great. Quoting the guy that created the welfare state.
Thank you SoYank!

and just for kicks:

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not." - Thomas Jefferson

aka welfare will end democracy
aut0sh0cker is offline   United_States
      03-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
Jet335i
Captain

Drives: 2011 E92 IB ZCP DCT

haha of course thomas jefferson owned slaves amonst other things....so there's always a skeleton in the closet of whatever founding father you quote
      03-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #14
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio

Drives: 08' 328i

Ah, the 1950s. The good ol' days... when segregation was the 'American Way'.

Gimme a break..
Los Angeles is offline   No_Country