BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-16-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,370
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
New TSB - Overheating audio amp*

*early cars with option 752 (INDIVIDUAL AUDIO SYSTEM)

The amplifier for the M Individual Audio System overheats and turns off. The affected amplifiers are not equipped with a cooling fan. (Vehicles produced up to March 2008)

CORRECTION

Install an improved amplifier (including a cooling fan) for the M Individual Audio System.

65 12 7 842 409 - Amplifier for M Individual Audio System

--per BMW_tech on Bimmerfest
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
GT3 Tim
Moderator
 
GT3 Tim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 1,894
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
*early cars with option 752 (INDIVIDUAL AUDIO SYSTEM)

The amplifier for the M Individual Audio System overheats and turns off. The affected amplifiers are not equipped with a cooling fan. (Vehicles produced up to March 2008)

CORRECTION

Install an improved amplifier (including a cooling fan) for the M Individual Audio System.

65 12 7 842 409 - Amplifier for M Individual Audio System

--per BMW_tech on Bimmerfest
Hmmm. Mine is a June 008 production and I have had my amp shut off on me once. I was listening at hihg volume for about 5 mintnues, and it shut off. Turned back on after about 10 minutes. The dealership looked at it but could find no issues. I typically do not listen to it loud...hardly listen to music at all for that matter, so it is not a huge deal. But, if there is a "new and improved" amp for it, I should get it...if only for resale down the road.
__________________
Tim (apparently likes "3" cars)
E90 M3 -- Current ride
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
PunjabiM3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
PunjabiM3's Avatar
 
Drives: R8 5.2 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oro Valley, AZ

Posts: 1,763
iTrader: (1)

Interesting. Mine is an April 08 build and so far I have not experienced any problems. If the amp shuts down does the entire audio system not work or do only the subs or certain speakers not work?
__________________
2012 Audi R8 V10, 6MT, Suzuka Gray, Larini Clubsport exhaust, Klassen M52R, GMG springs, Satin Black badges
2012 Audi A6 3.0T Prestige, Moonlight Blue
2014 BMW 528i, Space Gray
Previous: 11 e82 1M, Several 911's & M3's
PunjabiM3 is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      12-31-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
GT3 Tim
Moderator
 
GT3 Tim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 1,894
iTrader: (0)

Mine entirely shut down.....after about 5 minutes it worked fine.

I also had the "full volume rear speaker hiss" issue once. The car was garaged all night and OFF (stop switch hit twice). I merely opened my trunk and HISSSSSSSSSSSSSS....full volume rear speaker HISS. I then jumped in and started the car and could do nothing to shut off the sound. I finally ripped out the rear cover over the amp and unplugged the optical input, which killed it immediately. I could see a red light that was on inside the cable...then it flashed a few times, then went out. I plugged it back in and the sound did not come back on, and hasn't since. Strange. Although I do not think this is amp related, it is yet another premium audio gremlin.
__________________
Tim (apparently likes "3" cars)
E90 M3 -- Current ride
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-31-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,370
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
Mine entirely shut down.....after about 5 minutes it worked fine.

I also had the "full volume rear speaker hiss" issue once. The car was garaged all night and OFF (stop switch hit twice). I merely opened my trunk and HISSSSSSSSSSSSSS....full volume rear speaker HISS. I then jumped in and started the car and could do nothing to shut off the sound. I finally ripped out the rear cover over the amp and unplugged the optical input, which killed it immediately. I could see a red light that was on inside the cable...then it flashed a few times, then went out. I plugged it back in and the sound did not come back on, and hasn't since. Strange. Although I do not think this is amp related, it is yet another premium audio gremlin.
When I had the full-volume hiss issue, they replace the head unit, and it has not recurred.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
dillon733
Major
 
dillon733's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: new york

Posts: 1,126
iTrader: (2)

I had a similar problem. I have the standard audio however.
I went out with some friends to a resteraunt, and when i came out i started the car there was no sound whatsoever (no am, fm, ipod). There was no hissing or humming coming from the speakers, it was just dead quite. It was a very bizarre experiance. I muted and unmuted the radio, and it did nothing. I shut off the car and restared, adn still nothing. I drove for about 5 miles turned off the car and restarted and stil no sound. Then I drove about another 5 miles to a friends house, went out to the car after about an hour or hour and a half, started the car and it worked fine. Any idea what this problem was. It happened about 2 weeks ago. I have owned the car since august without a single problema and the car has 3600 miles on it.
dillon733 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
Alex///M
E90 - the Ultimate family hauler
 
Alex///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 ///M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Halifax

Posts: 555
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
*early cars with option 752 (INDIVIDUAL AUDIO SYSTEM)

The amplifier for the M Individual Audio System overheats and turns off. The affected amplifiers are not equipped with a cooling fan. (Vehicles produced up to March 2008)

CORRECTION

Install an improved amplifier (including a cooling fan) for the M Individual Audio System.

65 12 7 842 409 - Amplifier for M Individual Audio System

--per BMW_tech on Bimmerfest
Greg,

Thanks for posting this information. Did the technician that posted this TSB information on Bimmerfest provide the TSB number? I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow for them to drain the oil and check that either enough or too much is in afer their break-in service last week. If I have the TSB number to point them to, I can see if my car is affected and needs the fix.

Thanks again for this valuable information.
__________________
2008 AW E90 M3 - current
2002 TIAG E46 M3 - gone
1991 DiamondSchwartz E30 M3 - gone but not forgotten
Alex///M is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,370
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Audio TSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex///M View Post
Greg,

Thanks for posting this information. Did the technician that posted this TSB information on Bimmerfest provide the TSB number? I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow for them to drain the oil and check that either enough or too much is in afer their break-in service last week. If I have the TSB number to point them to, I can see if my car is affected and needs the fix.

Thanks again for this valuable information.
No, the TSB was not listed--I have asked that question on the OP.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
Alex///M
E90 - the Ultimate family hauler
 
Alex///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 ///M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Halifax

Posts: 555
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
No, the TSB was not listed--I have asked that question on the OP.
Excellent. Hopefuly he gets back to you quickly.
__________________
2008 AW E90 M3 - current
2002 TIAG E46 M3 - gone
1991 DiamondSchwartz E30 M3 - gone but not forgotten
Alex///M is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
argonboy
First Lieutenant
 
argonboy's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E92 Space Gray
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Posts: 306
iTrader: (1)

My car was Oct 2007 build, I have the High End Individual Sound System, but there were no recalls showing by my VIN in Europe, as of last week.

Edit: And I've had absolutely no problems with the sound system.
__________________
argonboy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2009, 08:41 AM   #11
Alex///M
E90 - the Ultimate family hauler
 
Alex///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 ///M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Halifax

Posts: 555
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
No, the TSB was not listed--I have asked that question on the OP.
Greg, any word from the OP on the thread about the TSB number?

I've had my service and asked for the dealer rep to look into this and he could find nothing in the system. I haven't had any problems as of yet but that doesn't mean they aren't coming.
__________________
2008 AW E90 M3 - current
2002 TIAG E46 M3 - gone
1991 DiamondSchwartz E30 M3 - gone but not forgotten
Alex///M is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #12
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,370
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex///M View Post
Greg, any word from the OP on the thread about the TSB number?

I've had my service and asked for the dealer rep to look into this and he could find nothing in the system. I haven't had any problems as of yet but that doesn't mean they aren't coming.
No, there was not response: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ght=option+752. I have now PMed him.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #13
Alex///M
E90 - the Ultimate family hauler
 
Alex///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 ///M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Halifax

Posts: 555
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
No, there was not response: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ght=option+752. I have now PMed him.
Thanks for doing this Greg.

Hopefully he reads the new post and responds.
__________________
2008 AW E90 M3 - current
2002 TIAG E46 M3 - gone
1991 DiamondSchwartz E30 M3 - gone but not forgotten
Alex///M is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST