BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
Fen335i
Captain
Fen335i's Avatar
25
Rep
803
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest

iTrader: (0)

Gintani & Active Autowerke exhaust - which one is louder at idle?

It's hard to tell from the limited Gintani videos available (not to mention sound quality for any exhaust video is suspect), what's louder (deeper) at idle? The Gintani or Active axel-back exhaust???

That's the thing I can't stand about the stock exhaust...is how darn quiet it is at idle (after it's warmed up). I'd like something that sounds like a 4.0L 414hp 8 cylinder is under the hood!! That's the way it's supposed to sound at idle!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
DevJ
Colonel
DevJ's Avatar
35
Rep
2,712
Posts

 
Drives: '14 Cayman S/IS350/RRS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tulsa, OK

iTrader: (1)

Not sure why it would matter lol, but gintani.
__________________
E92 M3. SOLD
New: '14 Cayman S PDK
Incoming: GT-R Black Edition
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
EagleEye CA
Supreme Chancellor
0
Rep
81
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Have you seen this?

[u2b]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jkf7EGSs3Q4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jkf7EGSs3Q4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
tightie's Avatar
United_States
151
Rep
5,768
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 F80 YMB M3
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: los angeles, california.

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.95]
Gintani is by far the deepest and loudest exhaust I've heard to day. It totally changes how the car sounds, transforms it to a beast.
It makes my balls shake when they rev it up.

I just placed my order last week for mine.. I'll make a video when it comes in.
__________________
15 YMB F80 M3 | iND Painted Front Reflectors, Painted Side Marker Set, Rear Painted Emblem & Front Grill Surround| KW 3 Way Clubsport | Gintani Downpipes | Macht Schnell Stud Conversion Kit | JB4 | Too many wheels to list
*Track Day: December 19 @ Willow Springs Raceway
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,948
Posts

 
Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen335i View Post
It's hard to tell from the limited Gintani videos available (not to mention sound quality for any exhaust video is suspect), what's louder (deeper) at idle? The Gintani or Active axel-back exhaust???

That's the thing I can't stand about the stock exhaust...is how darn quiet it is at idle (after it's warmed up). I'd like something that sounds like a 4.0L 414hp 8 cylinder is under the hood!! That's the way it's supposed to sound at idle!
Then the Gintani exhaust is exactly what you are looking for...

M3Post member Mr. Harris is selling his Gintani exhaust in the used parts section.
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #6
Fen335i
Captain
Fen335i's Avatar
25
Rep
803
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie View Post
Gintani is by far the deepest and loudest exhaust I've heard to day. It totally changes how the car sounds, transforms it to a beast.
It makes my balls shake when they rev it up.

I just placed my order last week for mine.. I'll make a video when it comes in.

thanks for the info...I'm not looking for the "loudest" exhaust overall...I just want something that rumbles more at idle...when I "get on the throttle"...I want it to be sporty sounding, but not obnoxiously loud. Hope that makes sense. Maybe you can't have both...but that's what I'm looking for.

The "sport exhausts" I've heard sound good when under load, but are too quiet IMO when sitting at idle...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
Fen335i
Captain
Fen335i's Avatar
25
Rep
803
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Then the Gintani exhaust is exactly what you are looking for...

M3Post member Mr. Harris is selling his Gintani exhaust in the used parts section.
Thanks Lemans Blue...I guess I could ask Mr. Harris...but any idea why he's selling his?

Also, does anyone know who here on the forum is selling Gintani systems? I went to their web site and it says it's under development. No info...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
schnell325
Bored at work....
schnell325's Avatar
Canada
43
Rep
3,875
Posts

 
Drives: '08 M3,'11 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BC

iTrader: (5)

On page 4 of the Vendor's |Engine|Drivetrain|Exhaust| section, there is a post by a Gintani company rep.


But I think you would like AA's product.
__________________
'08 M3: AA G2L3, Catless X-Pipe & Sig Series Rear. AP rods. TC Kline EDC Coil Overs. MRF Alum Sub Frame Bushings. TMS Delrin Diff'l Bushings. BFI Motor Mounts. Recaro PP. BMW Perf Steering Wheel. P3 Gauge. PS Overflow Kit. APEX ARC-8 18"x9.5"/10.5". Conti Slicks 275/35F 305/30R. Stoptech Pads/SS Lines. Cantrell Brake Ducts.
http://5252motorsports.blogspot.ca/2...3-sleeper.html
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
MrHarris
yodog
MrHarris's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
5,037
Posts

 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Gintani without a doubt!
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 02:59 AM   #10
Jonmartin
Banned
Jonmartin's Avatar
United_States
46
Rep
2,103
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angles (818)

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Jonmartin
Gintani is loudest in all areas so uh I'd go with that. I once drove around the street with no rear section and it was a lil louder then the full Gintani so its very loud. But I have yet to hear an M3 exhaust that sounds better then the Gintani also.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 05:21 AM   #11
MrHarris
yodog
MrHarris's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
5,037
Posts

 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmartin View Post
Gintani is loudest in all areas so uh I'd go with that. I once drove around the street with no rear section and it was a lil louder then the full Gintani so its very loud. But I have yet to hear an M3 exhaust that sounds better then the Gintani also.
+1 on that. Nothing compares to the sound the Gintani makes IMHO.
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #12
2000gsr
First Lieutenant
2000gsr's Avatar
Canada
5
Rep
365
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

One thing I have to say is the videos don't do justice to how deep the Gintani sounds. On a cold startup it has a nice growl but after a few minutes it quiets down and has a nice low grumble.
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=44350&dateline=125013  4806
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #13
graider
Colonel
graider's Avatar
26
Rep
2,408
Posts

 
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: toronto

iTrader: (0)

you need this



or something not too loud, not too quiet and retain the m3 sound. this is perfect IMO
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #14
C17MooseDriver
Captain
C17MooseDriver's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
868
Posts

 
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen335i View Post
thanks for the info...I'm not looking for the "loudest" exhaust overall...I just want something that rumbles more at idle...when I "get on the throttle"...I want it to be sporty sounding, but not obnoxiously loud. Hope that makes sense. Maybe you can't have both...but that's what I'm looking for.

The "sport exhausts" I've heard sound good when under load, but are too quiet IMO when sitting at idle...
I've never heard the Ginanti, but I have the AA. I wanted exactly what you wanted, and I think the AA fits it perfectly.

As for loudness in Idle, its louder than stock but not obnoxious. At startup in garages though, I routinely set off alarms.

You can't lose with either, but if I had a choice, I'd still go with my AA. I thnk it has the best of both worlds. Plus it's my favorite mod by far.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #15
Fen335i
Captain
Fen335i's Avatar
25
Rep
803
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C17MooseDriver View Post
I've never heard the Ginanti, but I have the AA. I wanted exactly what you wanted, and I think the AA fits it perfectly.

As for loudness in Idle, its louder than stock but not obnoxious. At startup in garages though, I routinely set off alarms.

You can't lose with either, but if I had a choice, I'd still go with my AA. I thnk it has the best of both worlds. Plus it's my favorite mod by far.
Thanks MooseDriver. I have read a few reports that the AA sounds great...but it's downfall is that it's very "boomy" when at cruise (2800-3000 rpm). I'm in traffic a lot which forces my speeds in the 45-55mph range, and that's about 4th gear at 2800 rpm...going to 3rd at that speed while in traffic to raise the revs is possible, but not desired (however I would pose that entirely differently if not in traffic!)

Is this "claim" of boominess (aka drone) true at cruising speeds?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #16
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
24
Rep
1,085
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Deutschland KreisTrier auf Autobahn 64 & Tucson AZ

iTrader: (1)

both Gintani and AA both have Drone in the cruising speeds
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 01:45 AM   #17
C17MooseDriver
Captain
C17MooseDriver's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
868
Posts

 
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen335i View Post
Thanks MooseDriver. I have read a few reports that the AA sounds great...but it's downfall is that it's very "boomy" when at cruise (2800-3000 rpm). I'm in traffic a lot which forces my speeds in the 45-55mph range, and that's about 4th gear at 2800 rpm...going to 3rd at that speed while in traffic to raise the revs is possible, but not desired (however I would pose that entirely differently if not in traffic!)

Is this "claim" of boominess (aka drone) true at cruising speeds?
I think this boominess is going to happen with any system. The AA has those NCC to minimize it. At cruise, it's just barely louder than stock. Just enough to notice you have something back there.

The only time it has any drone, is at high gears with low RPM below 2000k. But I assume it's less than other systems because of those NCC.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #18
aus
Major General
117
Rep
7,406
Posts

 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (5)

Look into the Bastuck. Definitely deeper than stock down low and just a little louder than stock once you're cruising.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #19
Fen335i
Captain
Fen335i's Avatar
25
Rep
803
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Look into the Bastuck. Definitely deeper than stock down low and just a little louder than stock once you're cruising.
Yes, I've heard good things about the Bastuck...of course the videos don't do it justice. Everytime I hear a video of it, it sounds very very quiet...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #20
aus
Major General
117
Rep
7,406
Posts

 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (5)

You mainly hear it idle and below 2500 RPM. It is pretty close to stock above 3000 RPM, but it won't drone either.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #21
baarii
Major
baarii's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
1,116
Posts

 
Drives: ..
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: I-66

iTrader: (8)

def Gintani
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST