BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

GT Haus

04-06-2010, 06:52 AM   #45
M_ZVER
VROOOOM

Drives: 08 IB E92 M3 6SPD,

I had this happen to me once as well only in reverse, backing into my driveway. I can tell you one thing, IT'S DEFINATLY NOT A ROCK GETTING STUCK ANYWHERE. it would be too much of a quincidance for all of us to have a freaking rock getting stuck. I believe it does have something to do with the rear diff or the LSD. Read your manual, these cars will make noise. I find it going aways after several minutes. PLEASE STOP LOOKING FOR ROCKS
      04-06-2010, 08:06 AM   #46
Kyoshi71
Colonel

Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

I think it's crazy that none of us have figured this out yet!
      04-06-2010, 02:44 PM   #47
drburton
Lieutenant

Drives: e92 M3 Alpine

It is rocks. Not sure why so much debate on this. It's rocks in the shield for sure. Design issue that it is happening so frequently. I get it almost every month, sometimes it takes over a week to get the rock out. Tap on the shield with your finger or a rock, same noise.
      04-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #48
Hoedepot

Drives: E93

i had it 3 times now took it to the dealer and was told, it was a defult in the window trim YA RIGHT.. lol
some times i wonder how some of these guys even become a tech.. just waiting for it to happen again so i can go to a different dealer..

But its no rock..
      04-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #49
montreal red
chris

Drives: White Boat

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
its not a rock. it sounds like its coming from the diff. it only happens once i the car is no longer running. i think its from the metal parts in the diff cooling down. thats what makes the sound.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)
montreal red is offline   Canada
      04-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #50
jeffbchi
Registered

Drives: E92 M3 Silverstone II

I've heard the same noise and it can be startling. Not too sure about the frequency, heat sync, direction of driving, etc. statistics but it does seem to be coming from the left side rear. My opinion is that it is metal expansion and possibly related to the diff. Can't say that it is definitely not a rock because I definitely don't know. However, it would be surprising that so many people pick up rocks in exactly the same place and to make the same noise, the offending rocks would likely have to be similar in size. Seems unlikely. As an earlier poster pointed out, the manual does say that M cars make noises and that these are normal. That said, I hope someone figures out exactly what it is.
jeffbchi is offline   United_States
      04-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #51
oct1285
Lieutenant

Drives: Almost out of warranty

According to he dealer my gintani exhaust is makin the noise. The shop foreman says he's hearing a shattering noise from the rear. I don't think he's hearing what I'm hearing so to avoid any needless labor charges I'm just going to ignore this sporadic noise
      04-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #52
J08M3
Major General

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
its not a rock. it sounds like its coming from the diff. it only happens once i the car is no longer running. i think its from the metal parts in the diff cooling down. thats what makes the sound.
It happens while moving not staying still... Unless you're talking about a different noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oct1285 View Post
According to he dealer my gintani exhaust is makin the noise. The shop foreman says he's hearing a shattering noise from the rear. I don't think he's hearing what I'm hearing so to avoid any needless labor charges I'm just going to ignore this sporadic noise
It's definitely not the exhaust, since most of use who have the noise don't even have a Gintani. I first noticed this with the OEM exhaust.
      04-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #53
jkr
Private

Drives: 2008 M3 cpe

6mt?

Is there any relationship to the trans types here? I had a 6mt in my last car and a DCT in the one thats getting delivered in May... what trans do those who are experiencing this issue have in their car?
      04-09-2010, 12:19 AM   #54
shaggag
Private First Class

Drives: G500

i have DCT and ive heard it. The first time i heard it was backing out of a driveway the same day i installed spacers so i thought it might have something to do w that.

i dont imagine all of you have 12mm spacers in the rear?

The sound has been rare and sporadic at startup ever since.

my thought was that it was related to not fully releasing the hand brake? (but thats a guess - im not knowledgeable about the mechanics of all that)
      04-09-2010, 12:50 AM   #55
Cab5er
Colonel

Drives: 09 E90 M3 & 07 TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton View Post
It is rocks. Not sure why so much debate on this. It's rocks in the shield for sure. Design issue that it is happening so frequently. I get it almost every month, sometimes it takes over a week to get the rock out. Tap on the shield with your finger or a rock, same noise.
I agree. I've only had it once. For about 20 min. only at low speeds. This was immediately after driving over a road with tons of gravel.

E90 ///M3/ AW/ Fox Red
Cab5er is offline   China
      04-09-2010, 01:06 AM   #56
VanM3Lover
First Lieutenant

Drives: 4.0 V8

This noise is usually not that loud and only happens in reverse, but this morning it happened when I was braking to near standstill, it was VERY loud. The noise continued at its normal level when I got to the parkade. The noise is gone this evening.
      05-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #57
J08M3
Major General

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

I agree it doesn't really sound like a rock... It's too loud to be a small pebble and no one has yet to find this mysterious pebble either. It is embarrassing as well, when you pull into a parking lot and this loud clanking sound is coming from the $70k car.
      05-06-2010, 08:44 AM   #58
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine

Drives: BMW M3 E92

I had the same sound from the same place when i first bought the car, very annoying. Definately not a rock sound but it went away itself

BMW M3 E92 - Silverstone II
BPM Sport Stage II Tune + Test Pipes, GTS DCT Tune
besiktas is offline   United_States
      05-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #59
kouhii
Private

Drives: 09 E90M3DCT

Happened to me 5 days ago.
My rear driver-side wheel, tapped the metal guard piece for a bit and a piece of rock fell out..
Then happened again 2 days ago, got pissed off and took the car through some high speed curves for a while and could not hear it again.
      05-16-2010, 12:33 AM   #60
CATCH_M3
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Happened to me tonight..
Also there was a whirring noise (mechanical) after I turned off the car for about 5 minutes. Then there was a tiny *pop* (same noise as when you pop a cork off a champagne bottle.. But quieter) and then the whirring shut itself off. This noise all came from the rear driver side wheel well area. (Including the 'dragging can' noise.) The car was parked for about 4-5 days without being driven prior to today. But I drove the car the whole day, the noise did not occur until the end of the day right before I got home.

What's going onn? lol
      05-16-2010, 03:18 AM   #61
jahdhami
Enlisted Member

Drives: E92 M3

Didn’t drive the car for 3 days and as soon as I started it, I heard the same noise (pop) everyone keeps complaining about. It definitely sounded like it came from the exhaust.
jahdhami is offline   Oman
      05-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #62
mseskin
Registered

Drives: E90 M3

Also had this problem. The foreman, Tim, at BMW Encinitas took care of me right away since to him this was a new and possibly precarious malfunction somewhere. Mine was coming from the right rear wheel area so he took the brake assembly apart and discovered the parking braking was dragging on the drum inside the rotor. He backed off the "gear-like" adjustment that self-adjusts the shoes when backing up to keep them close to the drum, but if it is malfunctioning and the shoes are already close, the noise is probably the rototation of the adjuster lever and spring skipping on the adjuster screw. This entire process only took him 15-20 mins. No noise since then. Hope this helps. Thanks for the GREAT and responsive service Tim!!

Of course this is no guarantee the problem won't return, afterall we didn't get to the root cause of the problem, but at least we narrowed it to a specific area.
      07-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #63
slimflem
get driving!

Drives: 2010 E92 JB M3

Send a message via AIM to slimflem
I had the same loud, tin can sound this evening for the first time after about 3600 miles on my 2010. I backed in and out of the garage a few times and went for a spirited drive and took some good fast turns and no more sound. Tapping the back cover behind the brake rotor for sure makes the same exact sound, so I am very much inclined to believe it is a pebble or something in there. It was very loud when it first started, but is gone now. Hopefully it does not come back. =(
slimflem is offline   United_States
      01-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #64
Zannyman
Registered

Drives: 2011 M3

Thumbs down NOT a Rock...I am puzzled... "Thunk"

It can not be a ROCK. I have a 2011 M3 got it with 7 miles on it (now about 6k) and had never heard the noise until 4 weeks ago when it started getting cold. I have the manual trans. and the stock exhaust.

Common symptoms:

*less than 20 MPH
*happens to me going forward or in reverse
*passenger rear side
* only started when the temp dropped below 30 deg Ferh.***
*(4 weeks of cold now and it does it daily in the moring when start up, and after work when it has set for 9 hours++ in the cold)
*put the car in neutral and revved the engine and the frequency and pitch of the "Hollow poping" does NOT change with enging RPM.
*frequency of the increases with the speed up to about 20 MPH and then the sound dissapears.
      01-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #65
UNNATRAL
Banned

Drives: 08 E92 M3, 09 Ford Explorer V8

o.m.f.g. i had the EXACT same problem.
UNNATRAL is offline   Canada
      01-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #66
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise

Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Me, too! I was able to fix it myself.
You can access it from the trunk.

It was a nest of Tribbles.
You just can't feed those things.
Attached Images

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
James T. Kirk is offline   United_States