BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

GT Haus

02-25-2009, 12:42 AM   #23
Big Windy
Major General

Drives: audi s4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerktown View Post
I test-drove it and then test-drove the '09 iDrive, and there's just no comparison. Since there were significantly better deals to be had on 08s, I really wanted to like the '08, and wanted to believe the people on forums like this one who were saying that the '08 was fine for non-edummies and non-housewives, but I did not find that to be true.

We sat down in the '08 and I asked the CA to show me what it takes to do what I consider to be a pretty routine task for a nav system: find the closest Best Buy and lock in a route to it. She eventually gave up. I took a crack at it, and after a bunch of pain, I think I was close, but we got kicked out of the car for another CA who needed it for a test drive. It was so ridiculously bad, at every step of the way - finding the right menu, finding the right place to enter the name of the store, finding the 'space' character, etc. It's far easier on my four-year-old piece-of-crap Garmin. It was also no problem at all in the '09. I don't really care about having the new shortcut buttons, but the new GUI makes a huge, huge difference.
perfectly stated.
      02-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #24
NPTM3
Private

Drives: for fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
When did mid-forties become "older guys" ... sigh. LOL.
+1

And when did "older" become synonymous with technically challenged?
2009 ///M3 E92 (Space Gray/x-Fox Red, CF, 6MT)
      02-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #25
AJBoston
Private

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I'm 32 and have been using computers and their various interfaces since I could barely walk - I was the kid programming the VCR and the Timex Sinclair when I was 7 or 8, and I wouldn't be where I am in my career if I didn't have an ease with clunky and/or downright awful interfaces.

The above isn't to brag, but to counterpoint the "electronic dummies and housewives" stuff before I say this: the '08 iDrive's interface is garbage. I test-drove it and then test-drove the '09 iDrive, and there's just no comparison. Since there were significantly better deals to be had on 08s, I really wanted to like the '08, and wanted to believe the people on forums like this one who were saying that the '08 was fine for non-edummies and non-housewives, but I did not find that to be true.

We sat down in the '08 and I asked the CA to show me what it takes to do what I consider to be a pretty routine task for a nav system: find the closest Best Buy and lock in a route to it. She eventually gave up. I took a crack at it, and after a bunch of pain, I think I was close, but we got kicked out of the car for another CA who needed it for a test drive. It was so ridiculously bad, at every step of the way - finding the right menu, finding the right place to enter the name of the store, finding the 'space' character, etc. It's far easier on my four-year-old piece-of-crap Garmin. It was also no problem at all in the '09. I don't really care about having the new shortcut buttons, but the new GUI makes a huge, huge difference.
I'm a professional web and mobile software designer and usability researcher, and I have to agree. I have an '08 and find the menu navigation system a total failure from a design perspective. It has nothing to do with code, as some people mentioned above, and everything to do with poor human interface design. Almost every common task is unnecessarily complicated, particularly in the nav area.

I think the decision to add hardkeys (dedicated buttons that always take you to the same place) in '09 is smart... it removes at least 2 clicks from the very common task of switching between top-level menus (e.g. from nav > entertainment). And adding a true "back" button, not just a menu button that sometimes functions like a back button, is a great move. The back button is the most used button in the web browser because it consistently delivers people back to where they were... a very important principle for users learning to use a new system. None of this has anything to do with being a technophile or technophobe, just application of proven design principles.
AJBoston is offline   United_States
      02-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #26
s4awd
First Lieutenant

Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

I was also amazed at how the old idrive worked in my 550i. It can tell when there were no more options to choose on the screen and no longer spun in that direction. I totally agree that it was impressive. But the new one has a radio and cd button!
      02-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #27
gr8000
Major

Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Send a message via AIM to gr8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBoston View Post
it removes at least 2 clicks from the very common task of switching between top-level menus (e.g. from nav > entertainment).
Not that I disagree with what you are saying but on your statement above, you can move between top-level menus simply by holding the iDrive controler to the right / left / up / down for 2 secs and it will take you to the corresponding top-level menu (e.g. holding 2 secs to the right will take you to the Navi menu from anywhere you are). So you are not 2 clicks away from top-level menus.
gr8000 is offline   Greece
      02-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #28
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport

Drives: BMW ///M3 E92 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3 Coupe  [5.00]
Send a message via MSN to Neil McRae
I think the OP was talking about the vibrating feedback from the idrive controller and I strongly agree with him. On my 5 series with the older nav the vibration/tactile feedback when scrolling through options is very useful for selecting things without focusing away from watching the road. I totally agree that the 09 nav system is much better I would have been good to add the vibrating feedback from the controller too.
Neil McRae is offline   United Kingdom
      02-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #29
Canyon Junkie
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Quote:
I'm 32 and have been using computers and their various interfaces since I could barely walk - I was the kid programming the VCR and the Timex Sinclair when I was 7 or 8, and I wouldn't be where I am in my career if I didn't have an ease with clunky and/or downright awful interfaces.

The above isn't to brag, but to counterpoint the "electronic dummies and housewives" stuff before I say this: the '08 iDrive's interface is garbage. I test-drove it and then test-drove the '09 iDrive, and there's just no comparison. Since there were significantly better deals to be had on 08s, I really wanted to like the '08, and wanted to believe the people on forums like this one who were saying that the '08 was fine for non-edummies and non-housewives, but I did not find that to be true.

Yes, I'd like to add that the nav system is junk. Didn't know they updated it in the '09s. In fact, BMW nav systems are lacking across the board.
      02-27-2009, 04:35 AM   #30
Takumi587
M3 Enthusiast

Drives: BMW M3, 330Ci, 528i

Garage List
2002 330Ci  [0.00]
2005 E46 M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Takumi587
Whoever thinks the old iDrive is better is in complete denial. The new one is simply way better and easier to use.
Takumi587 is offline   United_States
      02-27-2009, 04:41 AM   #31
gr8000
Major

I know this has been discussed in the past but maybe there is a more updated picture now: Is there a way to update the 08 iDrive to the 09 one? I know it is easy to install a 09 controller to the 08 iDrive, but what about replacing the entire system (i.e. also the software & screen)?
      02-27-2009, 07:03 AM   #32
Gelsenpower
Private

Drives: M3 E93 DCT AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
I know this has been discussed in the past but maybe there is a more updated picture now: Is there a way to update the 08 iDrive to the 09 one? I know it is easy to install a 09 controller to the 08 iDrive, but what about replacing the entire system (i.e. also the software & screen)?
For sure it will be possible to update to 09 iDrive, but i'll give you some
price informations:

CIC HDD Unit $2500
High Resolution Monitor $1500
Controller $200
Center Console $350
+ perhaps new wiring harness $$$
+ installation + reprogramming $$$
+
+
+
Gelsenpower is offline   Germany
      02-27-2009, 07:19 AM   #33
gr8000
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelsenpower View Post
For sure it will be possible to update to 09 iDrive, but i'll give you some
price informations:

CIC HDD Unit $2500
High Resolution Monitor $1500
Controller $200
Center Console $350
+ perhaps new wiring harness $$$
+ installation + reprogramming $$$
+
+
+
Wow... $2,500 for a HDD in year 2009? Is this a NASA HDD?
Also, $1,500 for the Hi res monitor?! I mean my flat screen TV at home costs less!

Anyway, I got the point...
      02-27-2009, 07:32 AM   #34
Gelsenpower
Private

Drives: M3 E93 DCT AW

it's the whole CIC (Car Infotainment Computer) incl. HDD, entertainment system (radio, cd-/dvd-player...), navigation system, voice entry system, etc. etc.

but you're right, i think - prices are fully overpriced in comparison to
conventional multimedia parts ..
Gelsenpower is offline   Germany
      02-27-2009, 09:11 AM   #35
MachineDriver
Family Man

Drives: '09 E92 M3

45 is positively geriatric and absolutely tech challenged. I'm 12.