BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Evolve Automotive

02-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #23
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure

Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Does anyone know what the long term implications and/or reliability of pulleys on the car are?
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
MMMorish is offline   Canada
      02-22-2009, 05:15 PM   #24
Kev
Resident Anesthesiologist

Drives: VW bug with a misplaced engine

Garage List
There's really no long term implications that I can think of. You are under-driving the accessories system which is really no big deal. Worst case, it might shorten the life span of your battery. I had the Evosport UDPS in my C320 and the ODPS in my E55, both worked really well in the years that I have owned the car. Never had a single problem with them.
      02-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #25
J08M3
Major General

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

As long as the car is fine at idle with all accessories running and wheels turned there should be no negative effects at all with this mod.
      02-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #26
d_dot
4 * General

Drives: F12 M6,Audi R8 Lambo Gallardo

Send a message via AIM to d_dot
hey im in ny also can you pm me his name and number and also how much he charges for install? thx
      02-23-2009, 06:17 AM   #27
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!

Drives: 08 M3 e90 IB

Aesthetics wise, does the AA pulley look the same as OEM (Color, ect. )

Im wondering about how noticeable it would be...
spectrumphoto is offline   United_States
      02-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #28
chris s
Major General

Drives: 2012 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumphoto View Post

I can't say for sure...but my guess is it very closely resembles the OEM unit. This is typically the case with underdrive pulleys.

2012 MR e92 M3 DCT, fully loaded... ESS VT2-625, Brembo 380, BBS FI's, Akra/Challenge Sport, KW Sleeve kit, Full OEM CF Interior
2008 e92 M3 Coupe 6MT | AW/BLK Extended...SOLD!
      02-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #29
gthirtyfizle
Colonel

Drives: E92 M3 AW

Quote:

Nope, the stock pulley looks more like a brished aluminum whereas the AA is more like a gunmetal color. The belts are also different, which in my opinion, the napa belts in which you get with the pulleys r a downgrade to the stock belts, but thats nothing that should ever affect ur car in any way, im just saying. Im pretty sure if they went into ur engine for some reason, if they werent paying close attention to the pulley, those guys wouldnt even notice. But as others have mentioned these should give you absolutely no problems whatsoever. The stock pulley u can see with the fan off a bit more then the aa since its soo much bigger, but, unless that fan comes off or they pull ur engine out, they will never notice, im pretty sure of that. And even so, if u ever should have a problem (not coming from the pulley) and they do c it, it doesnt matter, for them to deny warrantee, the problem would have to be caused directly from the pulley.
Honestly, I debated for a while and now that I have them i realize what a joke it is. Its really simple to install, and IMO besides software this one of the simplest bolton mods that will yield noticeable power and torque increases. I trully love driving this thing now. This is how the car should have felt stock.
      02-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #30
gthirtyfizle
Colonel

Drives: E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Just a FYI, I've had my RE pulley for a few months now. No negatives what-so-ever. I've had the car at the dealer twice for service and nobody said anything about it. I don't think a dealer would ever notice unless they pulled the engine out or something, or you told them

Which ever brand you get, pulleys are great upgrades!

I hope this doesn't count as a thread jacking
Not at all. Its great that ppl with other pulleys chime in to let others know how they are holding up. I really feel much more confident in this car now. I can almost guarantee that the straight line difference between the manual M and the C63 is fixed with this mod. Dont know if the exhaust and intake make a difference, but I LOVE IT
      02-23-2009, 05:09 PM   #31
C17MooseDriver
Captain

Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
Does anyone know what the long term implications and/or reliability of pulleys on the car are?
+1. That's my main concern and why I haven't pulled the trigger on one.
      02-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #32
Joe C
Colonel

Drives: e92 335i AKA "BaLLzZz"

Change your gears and then the m3 will come alive! hahahH WHATS UP happy you like the pulleys. Hows the car doin rims on yet? etc etc Whynot some new pics for everyone.

08 e92 n54
Joe C is offline   United_States
      02-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #33
J08M3
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
Long term should be absolutely no different than short term implications. It's not really rocket science to smaller pulleys or any hidden dangers. You will know immediately if you like them or not. Like I said before, as long as you try out idle with all accessories on and no voltage drop or overheating you'll be fine. this should be obvious from the very first drive.
      02-23-2009, 08:32 PM   #34
Omar@ActiveAutowerke

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

It is closer to gunmetal as the OP stated due to the coating procedure...

As far as the belts are concerned the are rated the same as OEM spec for the pre 06/08 cars and our belt for the post 06/08 cars (belt with ribs on both sides) is from the OEM manufacturer...
      02-23-2009, 08:33 PM   #35
Omar@ActiveAutowerke

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthirtyfizle View Post
I truly cannot believe the power difference that ur able to feel with these pulleys on, its sick. We have had some decent mid 40 degree weather here in NYC for the past few weeks or so. I tend to always drive the same way, on the aggressive side . I clearly remember when pinning the gas in second The car would pull hard but never really lost traction much since i wasnt pinning first to second, just second. Well today I was testing out the car with the pulleys and it seems that pinning the gas in second will almost 100% loose traction, which is great since in warmer weather the traction problem should be solved resulting in staright up power. The car revs soo much better and easier. Third feels like a complete moster. I absolutely love this mod, probably the best yet. I do have a remus race eaxhaust and afe filter. Next will be AA tune.

Wanna really thank AA for the great deal they gave me and the great service. Will be doing business with you guys again very soon.

On a side note, my mechanic literally took 1.30 hour to install these, and that was by taking his time and making sure everything was perfect being that he loves working on my car, but knows that parts are so expensive that he makes sure everythig is absolutely perfect , which i love. Im sure he could do this whole install in about an hour next time. Didnt really follow the instructions. Instead of going from underneath, he took the fan off and bam, did everything from there. Just metioning this to let ppl know that a pulley install should take no more then 2 hours and thats with 2 lujch breaks lol.

If anyone in NYC wants to do an install of anything just let me know. He has done my springs and pulleys and will soon be doing my custom exhaust.
It was great dealing with you my friend. Enjoy the pulley in good health and drive safely
      02-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #36
J08M3
Major General

On the flip side though....

If you don't think your accessories are spinning fast enough then you need to step on the gas pedal a little harder
      02-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #37
Eliminator
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 M3 SSII 6M, '87 911

Can these be installed as DIY? With normal garage tools?
Eliminator is offline   United_States
      02-26-2009, 11:27 PM   #38
Manny212
Captain

Drives: 2008 M3

Send a message via AIM to Manny212
can you pm me the price and number of the guy that installed it for you?

2008 E92///M3 - | Alpine White/Fox Red Extended Novillo | Technology | Premium | Cold |
Mods: | 19" Avante Garde | Macht Schnell Filter | RPi Scoops | Rogue SSK | MS Spacers | ACM Test Pipes | ESS Tune | Remus Race | LUX V4 Angels | KW V3 |
Manny212 is offline   United_States
      02-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #39
chris s
Major General

Drives: 2012 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliminator View Post
Can these be installed as DIY? With normal garage tools?
yes

2012 MR e92 M3 DCT, fully loaded... ESS VT2-625, Brembo 380, BBS FI's, Akra/Challenge Sport, KW Sleeve kit, Full OEM CF Interior
2008 e92 M3 Coupe 6MT | AW/BLK Extended...SOLD!