BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-25-2009, 02:34 PM   #89
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Lucid: Get your battery in and let us know. It is a simple mod to undo if you have any of the small glitches I've identified here. I'm still waiting for my replacement unit from Braille. They keep making promises on when it will be in stock and also when it will arrive here to me and they keep getting broken.
Yeah, but the track days keep on getting in my way. I don't want to drive to a track 300 miles away only a few days after swapping the battery in. And, I'll be on travel for 2 weeks starting next weekend, so no point in doing it now. I can try this after 6/21...

ButterzM, is yours still working fine? (It's been 4+ weeks, right?)
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 11:58 PM   #90
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
ButterzM, is yours still working fine? (It's been 4+ weeks, right?)
And either way, what is your driving pattern(s)? I am wondering about the amount driven in between park periods and how long your park periods are.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 01:37 AM   #91
Tio///M
///M South Lead
Tio///M's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
863
Posts

 
Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Miami Serving all of SoFLA

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to Tio///M Send a message via Yahoo to Tio///M
Have any of you considered VoltPhreaks batteries, light way and cut off switch. I recently installed one in my ride testing period has begun. If anyone of you has a VoltPhreaks battery installed in a current M3 E92 please advise of current operations and failures..thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 07:18 AM   #92
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio///M View Post
Have any of you considered VoltPhreaks batteries, light way and cut off switch. I recently installed one in my ride testing period has begun. If anyone of you has a VoltPhreaks battery installed in a current M3 E92 please advise of current operations and failures..thanks.
Which one? Specs please.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 07:30 AM   #93
sparkyg
Brigadier General
sparkyg's Avatar
Canada
47
Rep
3,493
Posts

 
Drives: EBII 2014 F31 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oil Country

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Arrogance or ignornace? It is supremely ironic that you screwed up your word choice using a word that very much seems to be describing yourself.
Nope meant ignorance. I've read many of your posts, I think you are prob a smart guy but anytime someone offers you evidence counter to your own thoughts you ignore them and continue your thread bashing.

You'd be arrogant if you didn't know wtf you were talking about.

You really need to chill, dam, being pissed of all the time must be exhausting.

The problem is that you attack posters with such vitriol that you scare off other opinions that might add to thread and add to all of our learning.

Why not dial it down 2 notches ask the questions but stop the ranting posts.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 08:05 PM   #94
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
80
Rep
4,910
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

A question and a comment. Question: Manual says after disconnecting battery, moonroof would need to be 'reset' by dealer, as it'd only tilt but not open. Is this true? Do any of you know how to 'reset' it? Thx.

Comment: How in the world did my car last 10 months on the lot without ruining the battery? I have to say after 12 hours driving it home, it took 24 hours for my BMW charger (like a Battery Tender+) to fully charge the battery. I guess it's safe to assume it'll have a diminished life, correct? Dealer said they don't charge batteries on cars on the lot. And to make matters worse, my only local dealer said if I don't drive the car daily (I won't, by a long shot), warranty wouldn't cover a failure, even when I charge it every week as a minimum. Nice. Comments welcome. Good day folks.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 08:19 PM   #95
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
How in the world did my car last 10 months on the lot without ruining the battery?
Maybe this is why the car is shipped with that massive 90 amp hr battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
And to make matters worse, my only local dealer said if I don't drive the car daily (I won't, by a long shot), warranty wouldn't cover a failure, even when I charge it every week as a minimum.
Never heard of this one before. Where in the manual does it say you need to drive it daily? Does it?

Can't help you with your sunroof question as I don't have one...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 08:59 PM   #96
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
80
Rep
4,910
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Never heard of this one before. Where in the manual does it say you need to drive it daily? Does it?
Thanks for your help man. Dealer said BMW is refusing to replace batteries on cars that are not used 'enough'. Sounds like crap to me; that's why I posted it. But to be honest, the way I take care of my batteries, it'll probably crap out after warranty, so I'd be on my own anyway.

And if battery wasn't replaced before I bought car (wish a dealer could check my VIN to make sure), I'm impressed. My car has all options, and it takes a while for the charger to turn green after just a week idle. I don't think a 1.25A charger can desulfate a battery, but maybe it does. Certainly hope so. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #97
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Thanks for your help man. Dealer said BMW is refusing to replace batteries on cars that are not used 'enough'. Sounds like crap to me; that's why I posted it. But to be honest, the way I take care of my batteries, it'll probably crap out after warranty, so I'd be on my own anyway.

And if battery wasn't replaced before I bought car (wish a dealer could check my VIN to make sure), I'm impressed. My car has all options, and it takes a while for the charger to turn green after just a week idle. I don't think a 1.25A charger can desulfate a battery, but maybe it does. Certainly hope so. Thanks again.
If the manual doesn't say anything about the need to drive it often, I'd press BMW on this. They are responsible for designing an electrical system that won't suck the life out of a battery when the car is parked, and if they can't do that, they should state it somewhere. I guess we should check the manual.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #98
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
418
Rep
11,446
Posts


 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Comment: How in the world did my car last 10 months on the lot without ruining the battery?
Here is your answer:

1. The vehicle electrical system is "Customer ready", dependent on the vehicle model:

- The battery main disconnect switch has been removed; and

- The vehicle has been taken out of Transport Mode using the BMW Diagnosis System.

1.1 Vehicle goes into storage (back lot)

A four-week charging cycle and calendar have been established for these cases.

The vehicle arrives, marked with a color-coded round sticker on the windshield. The respective color (one out of four possible colors) designates that the vehicle's battery must be charged in accordance with the new calendar on a four-week cycle.

Also, the vehicle is received with a BATTERY LOG FORM. This form has to be completed upon receipt, and subsequently has to be filed in the BATTERY CHARGE LOG (binder) under the applicable color-coded section. All vehicles identified by their respective sheets in one section will have to be recharged in that week.

1.2 Vehicle goes into showroom or new vehicle display
A four-week charging cycle will not suffice, due to the increased current draw imposed on the battery. This is because of frequent usage of the vehicle's electrical components (demonstrations, product familiarization, etc.).

Use an approved battery charger (recommended charging unit: Deutronic DBL 430) or an external power supply whenever the vehicle is in the showroom.

Please fill in section "A" of the BATTERY LOG FORM upon receipt of the vehicle. Further, the battery voltage should be monitored, depending on the extent of customer traffic if the vehicle is subjected to or used for demonstrations. (Maximum: 1 check per day; minimum: 1 check per week.) The battery has to be recharged as frequently as necessary to ensure that the open circuit voltage never drops below 12.3 V .

Please note every instance of recharging on the BATTERY LOG FORM, section "C". Please file the BATTERY LOG FORM in the BATTERY CHARGE LOG (binder) under the section "SHOWROOM", to provide an instant overview of the charging activities on these vehicles at all times.


2. The battery draw has been minimized for storage purposes, dependent on the vehicle model:

- Either the battery main disconnect switch remains on the vehicle in the "OFF" position; or

- The vehicle is still in Transport Mode.


With the battery draw minimized, a 12-week charging cycle can be followed. Please use section "D" of the BATTERY LOG FORM to document every occurrence of charging.

Please fill in section "A" of the BATTERY LOG FORM upon receipt of the vehicle. The new windshield labels can be used to track these vehicles, with the exception of those vehicles bearing a "yellow" label. These yellow labels have to be removed and replaced by one of the three applicable colors.

Please file the BATTERY LOG FORM in the BATTERY CHARGE LOG (binder) and also under the "SHOWROOM" section.

3. Used vehicles

Used vehicles in BMW center inventory should be monitored and recharged according to the above principles. There is no reason why the battery maintenance should be neglected, since poor reliability of a pre-owned BMW may deter a customer from buying a new one at a later date.

The above guidelines for proper battery maintenance are meant to provide maximum flexibility for every BMW center. Regional BMW personnel will be happy to assist with setting up an effective charging and monitoring program.

IMPORTANT : Always use the BMW Battery Tester ( SI B04 25 02) to evaluate a battery's state of charge.

On vehicles equipped with maintenance-free batteries (with integrated hydrometer - "Magic Eye"), under certain circumstances (vehicle parked for an extensive period of time) due to electrolyte density stratification inside the battery, the internal hydrometer ("Magic Eye") may remain black after recharging even though the battery tester shows it to be fully charged. Such batteries are fully serviceable.

Replace the battery if the battery acid level is too low (Magic Eye light yellow).

Since BMW uses only maintenance-free or AGM batteries, DO NOT ADD DISTILLED WATER!

If, at any time, the battery open circuit voltage should drop below 12.0 V , this battery MUST BE SCRAPPED, and the vehicle battery MUST BE REPLACED
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #99
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
418
Rep
11,446
Posts


 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
A question and a comment. Question: Manual says after disconnecting battery, moonroof would need to be 'reset' by dealer, as it'd only tilt but not open. Is this true? Do any of you know how to 'reset' it? Thx.
As for your sunrood question - You don't have to take it back to the dealer.


Initialization of slide/tilt sunroof (SHD)
The slide/tilt sunroof is initialized as follows:


Press the slide/tilt sunroof switch for at least 15 seconds to switch position Lift and hold it down.
Only let go of the slide/tilt sunroof switch after the SHD has moved to all positions and has come to a standstill.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 02:45 AM   #100
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
Nope meant ignorance. I've read many of your posts, I think you are prob a smart guy but anytime someone offers you evidence counter to your own thoughts you ignore them and continue your thread bashing.

You'd be arrogant if you didn't know wtf you were talking about.

You really need to chill, dam, being pissed of all the time must be exhausting.

The problem is that you attack posters with such vitriol that you scare off other opinions that might add to thread and add to all of our learning.

Why not dial it down 2 notches ask the questions but stop the ranting posts.
Seems pretty clear to me you don't know the difference between ignorance and arrogance.

I challenge you to show me my "ignorant" post or comments. When I do make them I'm very well capable and willing to admit doing so. On this topic, I simply disagree.

Pointing out a differing opinion, different standard of evidence, a different approach or simply calling someone incorrect, incomplete or mistaken is neither arrogant nor ignorant.

I think it is time for you to worry about your own posts as opposed to classifying mine. If you are scared by a difference of opinion or an opinionated and scientific approach to things about all I can say is too bad.

P.S. I'm "mad" during about 2% of my posts. I think you mistake firm and matter of fact with mad.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 02:50 AM   #101
Tio///M
///M South Lead
Tio///M's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
863
Posts

 
Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Miami Serving all of SoFLA

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to Tio///M Send a message via Yahoo to Tio///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Which one? Specs please.

Well if you email this guy he'll give you all the info you need, its only 5lbs battery Tony Hawng. Email @ tony@voltphreaks.com

He recommended this one to me, but M3 might be different.
https://s.p10.hostingprod.com/www.v...products_id=81

Goodluck, don't be discouraged by the prices they have a very decent warranty. They have even warranted them for 5 years. GL
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #102
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio///M View Post
Well if you email this guy he'll give you all the info you need, its only 5lbs battery Tony Hawng. Email @ tony@voltphreaks.com

He recommended this one to me, but M3 might be different.
https://s.p10.hostingprod.com/www.v...products_id=81

Goodluck, don't be discouraged by the prices they have a very decent warranty. They have even warranted them for 5 years. GL
What car did you install this one in? They claim it has only 14 amp hrs.

These are really expensive batteries.

Plus, my understanding is that they really suffer in the cold. What has your experience been? However, the nice thing is that it has a low voltage cutoff so it won't be fully drained by the car's systems when parked.

A larger one for $1.7k: https://p10.secure.hostingprod.com/@...ec51c9649962d2
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #103
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
80
Rep
4,910
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Initialization of slide/tilt sunroof (SHD)
The slide/tilt sunroof is initialized as follows:

Press the slide/tilt sunroof switch for at least 15 seconds to switch position Lift and hold it down.
Only let go of the slide/tilt sunroof switch after the SHD has moved to all positions and has come to a standstill.
Excellent news. Thanks a bunch for all your help; really appreciate it .
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #104
Tio///M
///M South Lead
Tio///M's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
863
Posts

 
Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Miami Serving all of SoFLA

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to Tio///M Send a message via Yahoo to Tio///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
What car did you install this one in? They claim it has only 14 amp hrs.

These are really expensive batteries.

Plus, my understanding is that they really suffer in the cold. What has your experience been? However, the nice thing is that it has a low voltage cutoff so it won't be fully drained by the car's systems when parked.

A larger one for $1.7k: https://p10.secure.hostingprod.com/@...ec51c9649962d2
Well I had to replace the battery in my 325i, for the wife. I swithced them out and it just needed to be re-charged by the alternator. No problems since, it has a button you tap when it hits cutoff. I live in Germany right now, and so far the wife hasn't complained about it. I was thinking of swapping them out when I get back in home in 23 days and try it with the M3. I'll probably email tony and ask him if he advises on this. I'll let you know. Original price thru VoltPhreaks was $1200, but since I'm military he gave me a very nice Discount!! I'm gonna email him again and ask if he has done any testing with an E92 M3, on their hompage they orgininally test fitted an E46 M3 and people haven't complained. I have also heard that about cold whether but I haven't noticed anything as I installed in during the month of April when I was home on R&R. It got cold but not freezing cold. I'll let you guys know later on if it fails.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #105
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio///M View Post
Well I had to replace the battery in my 325i, for the wife. I swithced them out and it just needed to be re-charged by the alternator. No problems since, it has a button you tap when it hits cutoff. I live in Germany right now, and so far the wife hasn't complained about it. I was thinking of swapping them out when I get back in home in 23 days and try it with the M3. I'll probably email tony and ask him if he advises on this. I'll let you know. Original price thru VoltPhreaks was $1200, but since I'm military he gave me a very nice Discount!! I'm gonna email him again and ask if he has done any testing with an E92 M3, on their hompage they orgininally test fitted an E46 M3 and people haven't complained. I have also heard that about cold whether but I haven't noticed anything as I installed in during the month of April when I was home on R&R. It got cold but not freezing cold. I'll let you guys know later on if it fails.
Thanks for the info. Is your wife's 325 an E9X? Does it have comfort access? Have you ever found the battery in a mode where it had switched itself off due to low voltage?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 12:28 PM   #106
Tio///M
///M South Lead
Tio///M's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
863
Posts

 
Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Miami Serving all of SoFLA

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to Tio///M Send a message via Yahoo to Tio///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Thanks for the info. Is your wife's 325 an E9X? Does it have comfort access? Have you ever found the battery in a mode where it had switched itself off due to low voltage?
No acutally I should've stated its a E46 325i, and so far she hasn't lashed out at me with all the mods I have done to it. I do have an additional amp, module for iPod video, and some other electronics hooked up. SO far thank god she hasn't said anything yet about having to push the button. When I replaced the dead battery, it did immediately start up one time and that was at cut off level power. After I took a 3 hour trip the following morning I didn't have any other problems with keeping the charge. So I'm thinking I broke it in good.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 12:35 PM   #107
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio///M View Post
No acutally I should've stated its a E46 325i, and so far she hasn't lashed out at me with all the mods I have done to it. I do have an additional amp, module for iPod video, and some other electronics hooked up. SO far thank god she hasn't said anything yet about having to push the button. When I replaced the dead battery, it did immediately start up one time and that was at cut off level power. After I took a 3 hour trip the following morning I didn't have any other problems with keeping the charge. So I'm thinking I broke it in good.
I guess one potential issue with using a larger version of this type of battery in the M3 is the voltage cut off kicking in, which would most likely throw a code since the battery would be disconnected. And if it happens constantly, there'd be a bunch of stored codes, and who knows what that might do to your warranty...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 02:38 PM   #108
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Finally got my new (replacement) 3121 yesterday from Braille. Factory claimed voltage was 12.99. It was only 12.77 when I tested it (with a nice high end multimeter, by the way). The voltage when installed has since fluctuated (before and after a couple short drives) by over 0.5 volts with the lowest reading at 12.11 this morning. Despite the fairly low reading the most obvious tell tell sign of problems with the last battery - the clock and trip odometer being reset - have not shown up yet. I certainly need to do a longer drive and see what the voltage is just after that. It is definitely strange that the voltage is getting so low but the prior problems have not shown up. I am not too optimistic at this point.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 03:04 PM   #109
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Finally got my new (replacement) 3121 yesterday from Braille. Factory claimed voltage was 12.99. It was only 12.77 when I tested it (with a nice high end multimeter, by the way). The voltage when installed has since fluctuated (before and after a couple short drives) by over 0.5 volts with the lowest reading at 12.11 this morning. Despite the fairly low reading the most obvious tell tell sign of problems with the last battery - the clock and trip odometer being reset - have not shown up yet. I certainly need to do a longer drive and see what the voltage is just after that. It is definitely strange that the voltage is getting so low but the prior problems have not shown up. I am not too optimistic at this point.
I'll swap my battery in after I get back from my trip at the end of June. Hope your new battery holds up, but it seems to be acting strange indeed.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #110
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

After many days of fairly trouble free use my new B3121 is back to the same old shortcomings. To be fair I do often let my car sit for 2 nights in a row without use. After doing this today my trip odometer reset to 0 and the clock once again "forgot" the time. It is my opinion that this battery will be an OK solution only if 2 criteria are met:

1. The car is used everyday.
2. You are in a warm weather climate.

The math still does not add up to me as to why this unit doesn't work better with a longer reserve time but it clearly isn't. I am going to pursue something in the range of 40-60 Ah.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST