BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

ESS Tuning

02-15-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
lucid
Major General

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Vorsteiner Titanium Exhaust Install and Preliminary Impressions

I installed this exhaust with a buddy today. We put the car on ramps and rolled under it. Obviously, car on a lift is a much better approach, but didn't have access. It took us about 2.5 hours--mainly because of a misalignment issue. Some observations on the install:

1. Stock exhaust is a tank part. You can look at the numbers on a piece of paper all you want; you don't realize how heavy that fucker is until it falls on your chest. I really can't believe how bulky the thing is, and have a hard time understanding why it was designed the way it is. If air flow under the car was a consideration, I am sure there are other ways to manage that without sticking such a huge muffler on there. Anyway, I'll have to mull over this one...

2. The rubber supports the hangers slip into are a bitch to deal with on the stock system since the stock hangers has lips over the hangers that really lock things into place. You have two options. You try to pry the stock exhaust from those rubber supports while everything is bolted on, or you simply unbolt the supports and pry things out where there is more space. We did the latter since the car was on ramps, and I am glad we did that as it was much easier to decouple things outside.

3. The right titanium pipe lined up well, but the left one didn't and was contacting the subframe right after the diff. I was concerned it would rattle there and crack. I was finally able to adjust for this by adding spacers to one of the back hangers, and got some clearance.

4. We weighed the stock monstrosity on a general purpose scale, and it was 58lbs+. It was so cool to be able to lift the entire titatinium piece by myself and place it under the car.

5. I bet one can do away with at least one of the hanger systems since the titanium system is much lighter, but I ended up connecting everything back anyway.

6. I ran the car without either muffler on, and it sounds really cool in person.

Some prelimenary observations on the sound after 40 minutes of driving (I opened it up just a couple of times):

1. The idle when you stand outside the car is really good. Nice louder and slightly bass tone.

2. It is louder inside as well, again with a slightly bass tone, and it is just right for me. It is not too loud, which is something I was concerned with since this is my DD. The stock system was definitely too calm <4000 rpms. This exhausts solves that problem nicely. Bingo.

3. Once you are over 4500 rpms, it sounds fairly similar to the stock system as you start hearing the intake and all that, but I can't tell how it is from the outside. It's still louder, but it doesn't sound that much louder than stock.

4. There is no drone that I could identify. I messed with several gears and rpms to listen for this.

5. A downside is that the louder tone now surprasses the intake sound at lower rpms. There was not much of an intake sound with the stock filter at that range, but I started hearing it after installing an aftermarket filter. Now, I can't hear it again. So, now an intake mod or what to get intake sound back?

In conclusion, this was a great mod at a pretty good price. My main goal was to make the car a little louder down low and save a bunch of weight (~40lbs). Both have been accomplished. I haven't dynoed the car or anything, but Vorsteiner also claims some power gains. If they are there, fine. If not, not a big deal. I am rather happy overall.

Last edited by lucid; 02-21-2009 at 03:34 PM.
lucid is offline   United_States
      02-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
BimmerRob08
Major

Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Pics and sound clip please.
BimmerRob08 is offline   United_States
      02-15-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
monsta
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 M3

Lucid Congrats on the install!!! yeah that stock exhaust weighs a ton I hope you didn't hurt your chest, lol, I concur w/ your first impressions it'll get slightly louder as you rack up the miles, I just got back from showing off my exhaust to another M3post member Chris S so we might have another Ti owner in the NE.....Enjoy your new mod your going to love your car even more now

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
monsta is offline   United_States
      02-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
monsta
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Pics and sound clip please.
until Lucid gets his vids up...enjoy mine
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230503

not sure if Chris S gf got clips of my car under WOT tonight hopefully she did & Chris will post it up...

'09 X5 35d SG/SB
      02-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
lucid
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta View Post
Lucid Congrats on the install!!! yeah that stock exhaust weighs a ton I hope you didn't hurt your chest, lol, I concur w/ your first impressions it'll get slightly louder as you rack up the miles, I just got back from showing off my exhaust to another M3post member Chris S so we might have another Ti owner in the NE.....Enjoy your new mod your going to love your car even more now
Thanks Monsta!

You might want to make sure your connecting pipes are not contacting the subframe just in case.
      02-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
lucid
Major General

Quote:
until Lucid gets his vids up...enjoy mine
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230503

not sure if Chris S gf got clips of my car under WOT tonight hopefully she did & Chris will post it up...
I won't be posting vids, so yours will do nicely. I will post some pics so that folks can see the tips on Jerez if they are interested.
      02-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
monsta
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Thanks Monsta!

You might want to make sure your connecting pipes are not contacting the subframe just in case.
yes I knew about the issue since I helped the guy install the exhaust, I'm sorry I neglected to write about it in my post w/ a busy work schedule & planning for my trip, we also fixed this issue w/ a spacer and a lil tweaking here and there & just like you it was on the left side connecting pipe...

once I get back I'll post some more vids for everyones enjoyment

'09 X5 35d SG/SB
      02-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
tallycoolies
Private First Class

Drives: 08 Interlagos Blue M3

I'm on a debate to switching my exhaust w/Vorsteiner. I love my AA exhaust system and definitely nothing wrong wit it but its a bit too loud for me. I've heard the Monsta's and once again after the Angel Eye that he had LOL... the system was incredible. So my question is that when u guys installed the system, was it very difficult? or is it just some minor fitment issue? Thanks in advance~!

E92 M3 Coupe\Interlagos Blue\6MT\18"\Technology PK\Premium Sound\Moon Roof\H&R Sport Springs\UUC SSK\GP Thunder 8500K H8 & 12000K HID Xenon\MB Grill\VSR Ti Exhaust\AA X-pipe\AA ECU\AA pulley\VSR CF rear diffuser\VSR CF boot lid\Painted Reflector\Gruppe M CAI\VSR Frontlip\Volk TE-37 19'
tallycoolies is offline   United_States
      02-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
Epacy2
Ire of the Regime

Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
Congrats!! I am in the market as well and like the lower price point of this exhaust. Pics?
      02-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #10
monsta
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallycoolies View Post
I'm on a debate to switching my exhaust w/Vorsteiner. I love my AA exhaust system and definitely nothing wrong wit it but its a bit too loud for me. I've heard the Monsta's and once again after the Angel Eye that he had LOL... the system was incredible. So my question is that when u guys installed the system, was it very difficult? or is it just some minor fitment issue? Thanks in advance~!
lol Dave your buggin out....I think your problem is not that the AA is too loud but that you have the Xpipe installed also, those X pipes would even make the Stock exhaust sound much louder...

Yes the exhaust is very very simple to install and only needs minor tweaking to get it to fit right an extra set of hands is a must, also as you can see even w/ the car on ramps it could be installed

'09 X5 35d SG/SB
      02-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #11
tallycoolies
Private First Class

Drives: 08 Interlagos Blue M3

Quote:
lol Dave your buggin out....I think your problem is not that the AA is too loud but that you have the Xpipe installed also, those X pipes would even make the Stock exhaust sound much louder...

Yes the exhaust is very very simple to install and only needs minor tweaking to get it to fit right an extra set of hands is a must, also as you can see even w/ the car on ramps it could be installed
Haha sorry Bill, didn't mean to do that but anywayz. I've thought about that too that having a x-pipe but I don't think it'll go as loud as w/Vorsteiner, after hearing urs. Additionally, I like that burnt TIPS Thanks for the info.

E92 M3 Coupe\Interlagos Blue\6MT\18"\Technology PK\Premium Sound\Moon Roof\H&R Sport Springs\UUC SSK\GP Thunder 8500K H8 & 12000K HID Xenon\MB Grill\VSR Ti Exhaust\AA X-pipe\AA ECU\AA pulley\VSR CF rear diffuser\VSR CF boot lid\Painted Reflector\Gruppe M CAI\VSR Frontlip\Volk TE-37 19'
tallycoolies is offline   United_States
      02-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #12
rzm3

Lucid, thanks for the review.

One question though... it appears that none of the aftermarket connecting pipes have the OE heat shields to reduce radiation from the pipes to the rear output shafts/rubber coverings. Do you think this may cause premature wear on the shafts?

02-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #13
REP1KRR
My other car is a Scooter'ia

Drives: M3 Saloon

Congrats Lucid! Can't wait for some pics. I think I decided this is the exhaust for me.
      02-15-2009, 11:10 PM   #14
TonyTone
Major

Drives: M3 VERT

Send a message via Skype™ to TonyTone
Congrats nice review!!!
TonyTone is offline   United_States
      02-15-2009, 11:40 PM   #15
lucid
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
One question though... it appears that none of the aftermarket connecting pipes have the OE heat shields to reduce radiation from the pipes to the rear output shafts/rubber coverings. Do you think this may cause premature wear on the shafts?
I must say I noticed that the connecting pipes get pretty close to the diff and the axles. And, yes none of the aftermarket systems have the partial heat shield at that point. It is possible that there might be some undesirable effects, but I have chosen to take that risk. I do question Vorsteiner's take on the straight connecting pipes on this system. I think they had an angled design at least to avoid the diff in their prototype. Unfortunately, I don't think any of the aftermarket manufacturers have any real data on such issues, so this one's kind of where you cross your fingers and hope for the best. The weight savings and the subtle sound improvement were worth it for me.
      02-16-2009, 12:05 AM   #16
doba_s
Major General

Drives: M3, 1M

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
lucid do you think it is possible to integrate the OE heat shields to the Vorsteiner pipes(in your case) or other aftermarket pipes ?
doba_s is offline   United_States
      02-16-2009, 12:27 AM   #17
badfish
Major

Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
lucid do you think it is possible to integrate the OE heat shields to the Vorsteiner pipes(in your case) or other aftermarket pipes ?
I bought 2 of these 1' Thermotec clamp on heatshields just to be on the safe side. I noticed that there was an aftermarket exhaust system being designed with the same exact clamp on heatshields.

02-16-2009, 12:28 AM   #18
Banned

Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Sweet, my thoughts are the factory muffler is the heavy anchor it is to maintain the BMW typical 50% weight distribution.
Sticky is offline   United_States
      02-16-2009, 12:34 AM   #19
doba_s
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
I bought 2 of these 1' Thermotec clamp on heatshields just to be on the safe side. I noticed that there was an aftermarket exhaust system being designed with the same exact clamp on heatshields.

good find ... where can i buy it ?

thanks
      02-16-2009, 12:34 AM   #20
rzm3

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post

Nice! Link please?
      02-16-2009, 12:38 AM   #21
doba_s
Major General

i guess you can get it here

http://stores.shamrockperformance.co...On+Heat+Shield
      02-16-2009, 12:40 AM   #22
doba_s
Major General