BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
Babaganush
Private First Class
 
Babaganush's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E92 DCT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Frisco, TX

Posts: 104
iTrader: (1)

Service Bulletin 13-05-08 (Rough Idle, Rough Running, Misfiring and Loss of Power)

Anyone familiar with this service bulletin? My car is in the shop and I'm being told that the problem is associated with this bulletin. Unfortunately, I have no ETA on the parts from German since they are on back order.

The service bulletin states that the stalling, rough idle and check engine light I am experiencing are caused by a faulty intake hose which needs to be replaced. My fear is that my wait for these parts may not solve my problem since the technician never confirmed that the hose was faulty.......they are simply waiting for the parts and then will see if that fixes the problem.
__________________
09 BMW E92 M3
07 Ducati 1098
06 BMW 530xi Wagon
Babaganush is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
John@BMW
I can't belive this car is a 4 door family sedan.
 
John@BMW's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 sedan, '96 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 385
iTrader: (1)

I can look into it but for people wanting to see- here is the actual bulletin...

Load Graphics
This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B13 05 08 dated December 2008.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Rough Idle, Rough Running, Misfiring and Loss of Power


MODEL
E90, E92 and E93 M3


SITUATION
The customer complains that the vehicle runs rough while idling or driving; the vehicle can misfire; and a loss of power can occur. In some cases, the vehicle's Service Engine Soon lamp is illuminated and fault code 2B23 (Idle-air actuator, regulator monitoring) will be stored in the DME fault memory. In some circumstances, the vehicle's engine control may enter the emergency program and store various misfire faults.

CAUSE
The idle-air actuator or idle circuit has become blocked or restricted, due to an internal separation of the rubber hose located between the idle-air actuator and the intake manifold. The layers of the rubber hose will tear away and restrict the idle-air actuator or one of the idle strips located on each engine bank.

PROCEDURE
On a customer complaint basis, remove the intake manifold in accordance with RA 11 61 050, Removing and installing air intake manifold (S65), to inspect all idle circuit components.

[GRUSB1208-09.JPG]
Remove and inspect the hose (1) located between the idle-air actuator and intake manifold. Remove and inspect the idle-air actuator (2). If debris is found, remove the debris, but do not replace the idle-air actuator. Remove and inspect both idle strips. If debris is found inside the idle strips, then both idle strips must be replaced. Whenever rubber hose debris is found in the idle circuit, it will be necessary to replace the rubber hose (1) between the idle-air actuator and the intake manifold as well. The rubber hose (4) located between the idle strips should be inspected and cleaned; do not replace this item.

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
Description
Quantity

13 41 7 839 097
Hose
1

13 41 7 838 260
Idle Strip Cylinder 1-4
1

13 41 7 838 261
Idle Strip Cylinder 5-8
1

32 11 1 135 522
Clamp
1

13 41 7 838 511
Clamp
2

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code:
13 41 01 24 00


Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:

13 41 550*
32
Removing and installing idle actuator


+11 99 000
3
Removing and installing or replacing idle strips

*Main Work - use this labor operation number when this is the only repair being performed, or if this is the main repair when performed along with other repairs at the same time. If this is not the main repair, refer to KSD for the associated (+) labor operation code.
__________________
John@BMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
FStop7
I like cars
 
FStop7's Avatar
 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

Posts: 5,059
iTrader: (3)

Wow, so this probably explains the problem that so many people have been reporting. Thankfully it's not major.
__________________
FStop7 is offline   Vatican City State
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
Babaganush
Private First Class
 
Babaganush's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E92 DCT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Frisco, TX

Posts: 104
iTrader: (1)

Doesn't seem too major of a problem to fix but the big problem is the parts. I was at the dealership today and found out that there are many others with the same problem also awaiting their parts from Germany. No ETA.
__________________
09 BMW E92 M3
07 Ducati 1098
06 BMW 530xi Wagon
Babaganush is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2009, 12:18 AM   #5
gemini330zhp
Major
 
gemini330zhp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BergenCo NewJersey

Posts: 1,181
iTrader: (0)

How many miles do you have on your car???
__________________
2008 Jet Black E90 M3 6SPD no sunroof and 18s to my specs


gemini330zhp is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2009, 12:48 AM   #6
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General
 
Mr.Metak2you's Avatar
 
Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwr'

Posts: 4,744
iTrader: (15)

Garage List
Subscribed
__________________
Mr.Metak2you is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
urbo73
Captain
 
Drives: cars
Join Date: May 2006
Location: USA

Posts: 652
iTrader: (0)

Hmm...This happened to me once while AT the dealer. Drove the car in a week or so after I bought it, and while it was sitting there idling, the idle started to stutter and I had to give it gas to get it from stalling! They check codes - said everything was OK. No issues since - 4+ months now.
urbo73 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
Babaganush
Private First Class
 
Babaganush's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E92 DCT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Frisco, TX

Posts: 104
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini330zhp View Post
How many miles do you have on your car???
3500 miles.
__________________
09 BMW E92 M3
07 Ducati 1098
06 BMW 530xi Wagon
Babaganush is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
arcsynesis
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: las vegas, nv

Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

I had about 3500 miles on my car when this crap started happening. I have taken my car in for the 4th time to get this fixed. The first three times they were saying it was the idle accuator (you think they would get a clue!). This time they are saying that it looks to be the problem described above.

Hope that gets your car fixed.
arcsynesis is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
Rovman
Private First Class
 
Rovman's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' BMW M1
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lafayette,La.

Posts: 175
iTrader: (0)

Subscribed, I believe I am a victim of the same problem.

This issue has been going on for about 6k miles. The dealer could never find what the problem was since it never would throw a code. Last week I finally had enough and broke out my own tools and started retracing there steps and removed the intake plenum myself. Mysteriously the car ran perfect after that. I found nothing out of the ordinary that would have caused the problem. I suspect that there may have been some debris within one or both of the idle actuator hoses that I cleared innadvertindly. If it comes back I know what to look for now. Ashame I am having to do my own investigative work and repairing to my own $65k car...
__________________
13' BMW M5 DCT
11' BMW 1M
10' Mercedes GL 350 Bluetec
04' Porsche 911 GT3 (Track car)
06' BMW HP2 Enduro (Multi Purpose bike)
Rovman is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2009, 10:06 PM   #11
Rovman
Private First Class
 
Rovman's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' BMW M1
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lafayette,La.

Posts: 175
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@BMW View Post
I can look into it but for people wanting to see- here is the actual bulletin...

Load Graphics
This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B13 05 08 dated December 2008.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Rough Idle, Rough Running, Misfiring and Loss of Power


MODEL
E90, E92 and E93 M3


SITUATION
The customer complains that the vehicle runs rough while idling or driving; the vehicle can misfire; and a loss of power can occur. In some cases, the vehicle's Service Engine Soon lamp is illuminated and fault code 2B23 (Idle-air actuator, regulator monitoring) will be stored in the DME fault memory. In some circumstances, the vehicle's engine control may enter the emergency program and store various misfire faults.

CAUSE
The idle-air actuator or idle circuit has become blocked or restricted, due to an internal separation of the rubber hose located between the idle-air actuator and the intake manifold. The layers of the rubber hose will tear away and restrict the idle-air actuator or one of the idle strips located on each engine bank.

PROCEDURE
On a customer complaint basis, remove the intake manifold in accordance with RA 11 61 050, Removing and installing air intake manifold (S65), to inspect all idle circuit components.

[GRUSB1208-09.JPG]
Remove and inspect the hose (1) located between the idle-air actuator and intake manifold. Remove and inspect the idle-air actuator (2). If debris is found, remove the debris, but do not replace the idle-air actuator. Remove and inspect both idle strips. If debris is found inside the idle strips, then both idle strips must be replaced. Whenever rubber hose debris is found in the idle circuit, it will be necessary to replace the rubber hose (1) between the idle-air actuator and the intake manifold as well. The rubber hose (4) located between the idle strips should be inspected and cleaned; do not replace this item.

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
Description
Quantity

13 41 7 839 097
Hose
1

13 41 7 838 260
Idle Strip Cylinder 1-4
1

13 41 7 838 261
Idle Strip Cylinder 5-8
1

32 11 1 135 522
Clamp
1

13 41 7 838 511
Clamp
2

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code:
13 41 01 24 00


Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:

13 41 550*
32
Removing and installing idle actuator


+11 99 000
3
Removing and installing or replacing idle strips

*Main Work - use this labor operation number when this is the only repair being performed, or if this is the main repair when performed along with other repairs at the same time. If this is not the main repair, refer to KSD for the associated (+) labor operation code.

John,

Thanks for posting this, this will help with the case I have been building on trying to get me car fixed. I am having to do the this investigative work myself as every time I bring my car in for service concerning these very symptoms they couldn't seem to find the problem.

Thanks again,

YOU have been a BIG help.
__________________
13' BMW M5 DCT
11' BMW 1M
10' Mercedes GL 350 Bluetec
04' Porsche 911 GT3 (Track car)
06' BMW HP2 Enduro (Multi Purpose bike)
Rovman is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #12
jlaw
nuh nuh nuh gone
 
jlaw's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 344
iTrader: (0)

FWIW, the dealer tried performing the hose replacement per this bulletin on my car when I had the same issues. Didn't fix it. Ended up being the "idle control device".

Looks like a lot of people are experiencing this problem, with more every day.
__________________

2008 E92 M3 MT6 AW/FR/Carbon | AA | VRS | Forgestar

"I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
jlaw is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #13
Rovman
Private First Class
 
Rovman's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' BMW M1
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lafayette,La.

Posts: 175
iTrader: (0)

Jlaw,

Thanks for the feedback, Much appreciated.

More info to add to my case for the dealer to ingest.
__________________
13' BMW M5 DCT
11' BMW 1M
10' Mercedes GL 350 Bluetec
04' Porsche 911 GT3 (Track car)
06' BMW HP2 Enduro (Multi Purpose bike)
Rovman is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #14
jlaw
nuh nuh nuh gone
 
jlaw's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 344
iTrader: (0)

No problem. I'm curious if anyone with an 09 has had this problem, or if it's exclusively 08.
__________________

2008 E92 M3 MT6 AW/FR/Carbon | AA | VRS | Forgestar

"I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
jlaw is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2009, 11:05 PM   #15
Rovman
Private First Class
 
Rovman's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' BMW M1
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lafayette,La.

Posts: 175
iTrader: (0)

Hmmm, that is a good question. I wonder if the newer cars (09's) possibly have a different actuator?
__________________
13' BMW M5 DCT
11' BMW 1M
10' Mercedes GL 350 Bluetec
04' Porsche 911 GT3 (Track car)
06' BMW HP2 Enduro (Multi Purpose bike)
Rovman is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2009, 11:08 PM   #16
TonyTone
Major
 
TonyTone's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 VERT
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: FL

Posts: 1,179
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to TonyTone
Interesting news
TonyTone is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2009, 11:21 PM   #17
ase2dais
//Mdicted
 
ase2dais's Avatar
 
Drives: a Cop Magnet
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 495 Ring

Posts: 9,874
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaw View Post
No problem. I'm curious if anyone with an 09 has had this problem, or if it's exclusively 08.
Mine runs fine!
Car: 09 e92 DCT
Build Date : 2 days passed the DCT recall build date
ase2dais is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2009, 11:44 PM   #18
Johndoe
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09 M3 sedan
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston

Posts: 257
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais View Post
Mine runs fine!
Car: 09 e92 DCT
Build Date : 2 days passed the DCT recall build date
how many miles on your 09- seems like 3500 miles is when the issue arises?
Johndoe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #19
Babaganush
Private First Class
 
Babaganush's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E92 DCT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Frisco, TX

Posts: 104
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaw View Post
No problem. I'm curious if anyone with an 09 has had this problem, or if it's exclusively 08.
My car is an 09.

I'm thinking I might need to talk to the dealership about the idle valve.....I really don't want to wait on the hoses and then find out that doesn't solve the problem.
__________________
09 BMW E92 M3
07 Ducati 1098
06 BMW 530xi Wagon
Babaganush is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #20
CraZee M3
Private First Class
 
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 146
iTrader: (0)

subscribing.. good to know.
CraZee M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #21
Eliminator
First Lieutenant
 
Eliminator's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 SSII 6M, '87 911
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Michigan

Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)

I have the same problem. On cold start-ups, the idle runs rough and the car throws faults Ie. DSC Malfuction, ABS Malfunction, Start Assist Disabled, etc. I turn the car off and re-start and all is well... until next time. Do you guys get the array of faults?

Dealer diagnosed my problem and the Idle Actuator from the Computer read out. I want to check my hoses myself, can Rovman explain the procedure for getting to the actuator?
Eliminator is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #22
guarnibl
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 Melbourne Red E93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

Posts: 152
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliminator View Post
I have the same problem. On cold start-ups, the idle runs rough and the car throws faults Ie. DSC Malfuction, ABS Malfunction, Start Assist Disabled, etc. I turn the car off and re-start and all is well... until next time. Do you guys get the array of faults?

Dealer diagnosed my problem and the Idle Actuator from the Computer read out. I want to check my hoses myself, can Rovman explain the procedure for getting to the actuator?
They diagnosed mine as the thermostat giving incorrect readings. That actually may be the case for part of the problem -- I mostly noticed that it didn't start happening until I reached mid temperatures.

But I dunno... I was supposed to get my car back on Monday. Come Thursday and they still haven't called me saying it's done.
__________________
2011 Nissan GT-R Premium 600 whp
2008 Melbourne Red E93 ///M3 (Stock)
2003 Mustang (302 stroker dohc, kenne bell, 900+ rwhp)
guarnibl is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST