BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
CraZee M3
Private First Class
United_States
3
Rep
146
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

potholes damaging forged 19 me wheels?

The 19s on the m3 are forged.. which means stronger than cast wheels like most. Has anyone bent or damaged the wheel by hitting potholes?

I bought the wheel/tire coverage for 600... anyone else get that? Please share your experience if you've dealt with them for coverage.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
Manny212
Captain
Manny212's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
659
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to Manny212
i hit a big pothole yesterday but was only going about 10-15 mph so hopefully i didn't bend the rim. They seem pretty strong
__________________

2008 E92///M3 - | Alpine White/Fox Red Extended Novillo | Technology | Premium | Cold |
Mods: | 19" Avante Garde | Macht Schnell Filter | RPi Scoops | Rogue SSK | MS Spacers | ACM Test Pipes | ESS Tune | Remus Race | LUX V4 Angels | KW V3 |
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
NugeMobile
Private First Class
United_States
4
Rep
152
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 (E90)
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Got the coverage too on my 19's. No damage to report yet but I cringe every time I hit a bump hard....
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
DevJ
Colonel
DevJ's Avatar
35
Rep
2,712
Posts

 
Drives: '14 Cayman S/IS350/RRS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tulsa, OK

iTrader: (1)

You guys don't even know about potholes! I live in a small town in Oklahoma and it's an everyday occurrence to avoid potholes..I think of it as playing a game lol
__________________
E92 M3. SOLD
New: '14 Cayman S PDK
Incoming: GT-R Black Edition
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
positiveions
Lieutenant General
positiveions's Avatar
Lebanon
114
Rep
10,529
Posts

 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
I used to have AC Schnitzer Type III. While driving, I hit a pot hole way by the curve (I don't know how that shit happens but call it luck) at 45 mph. My friend was swearing at me to pull the F _ _ _ k over. When I did, he came out of the car, looked at looked, and his statement was: that is why you pay big money for forged ACs'. nothing, not even a dent.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 10:24 PM   #6
ideliver
Major
ideliver's Avatar
48
Rep
1,232
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E60 M5 & 08 Infiniti QX56
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: At the gas station

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
$600 for tire insurance is well worth it...tires are about $300 each...
__________________
Cars I've owned '76 Chevelle 350 RIP '82 Monte Carlo 350 RIP '82 Mustang 302 RIP '88 Honda CRX RIP '88 Olds Toronado sold '94 Toyota Tercel sold '99 Acura TL sold 2002 Porsche 911 sold 2003 E46 M3 Blk/gr 2006 MB S430 sold Current: 2008 Infiniti QX56 & 2008 E60 M5

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 04:52 AM   #7
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
spectrumphoto's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
438
Posts

 
Drives: 08 M3 e90 IB
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hollywierd, SoCal

iTrader: (2)

My Rim and Tire plan cost $1K... and has been a great investment since I've had 2 tires replaced already from nails since August. The final bill for each tire $435.00. I still have another 3.5 years of plan left too!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 05:16 AM   #8
gr8000
Major
gr8000's Avatar
Greece
22
Rep
1,172
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, Greece

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to gr8000
Probably there is no worst place to drive other than Greek roads... (well mybe there is but anyway). I was also sceptical at the time of purchase of the OEM 19" (I ordered the car in 18" and swaped afterwards), but so far they've been trouble free. I am of course carefull in the way I drive over bumpy roads / potholes (I pay attention, I drive slow and try to avoid them) but there have been instances where unavoidably I have fallen into some of them. No severe instances, but a few "near severe".

My conclusion: The OEM 19" are pretty solid and I don't seem to have any problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 05:40 AM   #9
footie
Major General
footie's Avatar
No_Country
154
Rep
7,507
Posts

 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
No rim is 100% safe from damage due to pot holes, most chance of damage and the amount is down to speed, depth of hole and the height of side wall. 18" will clearly be better than 19" and 19" will be better than 20".
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 06:18 AM   #10
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
Neil McRae's Avatar
United Kingdom
40
Rep
2,058
Posts

 
Drives: BMW ///M3 E92 / BMW ///M5 F10
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3 Coupe  [5.00]
Send a message via MSN to Neil McRae
In the UK you can charge the local councils if you do damage you car by a pothole. I had a E46 alloy replaced after this happened to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #11
GS997S
Private
GS997S's Avatar
0
Rep
86
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 997S
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Back in the Rumble

iTrader: (0)

Yes, the 19s, or any wheel, can be damaged by potholes. You also might want to read the fine print on your tire and wheel warranty to make sure you know what is covered. Many of those tire and wheel warranties only cover wheel damage if the wheel is damaged to the extent that the tire will not hold air. Just bending it will not cover wheel replacement on many of those warranties. Of course, the slick sales guy that sold it to you probably didn't tell you that.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #12
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
Radiation Joe's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,749
Posts

 
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macungie PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
$600 for tire insurance is well worth it...tires are about $300 each...
Doh! It's well worth it to the dealer.

That's why they offer it. It costs them less than they pay out by a large margin. They wouldn't sell it if they lost money on it, now would they?

So my argument is that it is not worth it. There are a few people who get their money's worth out of it, but the majority of people don't. It's like any other insurance.

If you are one of those people who regularly bend wheels and damage tires, it probably makes sense to get the insurance.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #13
darkalley
Captain
United_States
17
Rep
635
Posts

 
Drives: Gone- 08 DCT SSII, 2006 SMG
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Current: 2014 BMW 4-Series Convert for the fiance w M Package, F150, 06 S2000, 08 911 c4s

iTrader: (0)

i bent two rims and tried to file a claim. even though the rims were undrivable because they were bent that bad the warranty company denied the claim since they still held air. READ THE FINE PRINT! The majority of wheel warranties do not cover 99% of the pothole damages.
__________________
2008 SSII DCT M3/Peapack/Parsippany NJ
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #14
ideliver
Major
ideliver's Avatar
48
Rep
1,232
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E60 M5 & 08 Infiniti QX56
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: At the gas station

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Doh! It's well worth it to the dealer.

That's why they offer it. It costs them less than they pay out by a large margin. They wouldn't sell it if they lost money on it, now would they?

So my argument is that it is not worth it. There are a few people who get their money's worth out of it, but the majority of people don't. It's like any other insurance.

If you are one of those people who regularly bend wheels and damage tires, it probably makes sense to get the insurance.
depends on where you live...in northeastern ohio where we have multiple freeze thaw cycles per winter...you cannot find a stealer that even offers this insurance...let alone at $600...this is a very good price for this coverage...especially given where the OP lives

so I take it that you are going to pass on the extended warranty (assuming that you bought and not leased)...

...tell you what...I have a set of 20" RAC for my M5...since it is such a suckers bet for me...I'll let you sell me insurance for $1000 for 4 years...
__________________
Cars I've owned '76 Chevelle 350 RIP '82 Monte Carlo 350 RIP '82 Mustang 302 RIP '88 Honda CRX RIP '88 Olds Toronado sold '94 Toyota Tercel sold '99 Acura TL sold 2002 Porsche 911 sold 2003 E46 M3 Blk/gr 2006 MB S430 sold Current: 2008 Infiniti QX56 & 2008 E60 M5

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #15
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!
FifthStreetz's Avatar
United_States
193
Rep
15,558
Posts

 
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Lee, NJ

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
if you live and drive in a area with alot of shitty roads/potholes like NYC/NJ then the insurance could be worth it. On my previous car i got 2 bent wheels, 1 bubble and 1 flat in 3 years of driving. So $600 for 5 years is a great deal.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #16
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
Radiation Joe's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,749
Posts

 
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macungie PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
depends on where you live...in northeastern ohio where we have multiple freeze thaw cycles per winter...you cannot find a stealer that even offers this insurance...let alone at $600...this is a very good price for this coverage...especially given where the OP lives

so I take it that you are going to pass on the extended warranty (assuming that you bought and not leased)...

...tell you what...I have a set of 20" RAC for my M5...since it is such a suckers bet for me...I'll let you sell me insurance for $1000 for 4 years...
I'm glad you're so much smarter than the folks offering insurance. Let's see you get ANY insurance at any price for those wheels.

And yes, I'll pass on an extended warranty. Since I'm on the end of the insurance spectrum that pays for the dolts that don't take care of their cars, I won't be contributing. Do you understand concept of insurance?

I leased. I'll use up the entire factory warranty in less than two years. I'll buy out the car at the end of the lease, if I still want to keep it. And no, I won't purchase an extended warranty.

However, your point about it being a good idea for the OP to purchase the insurance should hold true, considering he lives in NYC. A couple of damaged tires, and he's paid for it.

Last edited by Radiation Joe; 02-08-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #17
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I got low-cost aftermarket 18" wheels for the winter. There is no way I am commuting in stock 19s around Boston in the winter. The roads are pathetic. I already caught a couple of major holes, and the 18" wheels are holding out stong. I am not so sure that the 19s would have survived with the lower profile tires. I probably would have lost the tires if not the rims to say the least.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #18
kbk_75
Lieutenant
India
7
Rep
404
Posts

 
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bombay, India

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
You guys don't even know about potholes! I live in a small town in Oklahoma and it's an everyday occurrence to avoid potholes..I think of it as playing a game lol
Come visit Bombay, we don't know about roads! Here it's an every day occurrence trying to find a smooth patch of road! That's the game we play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
Probably there is no worst place to drive other than Greek roads... (well mybe there is but anyway). I was also sceptical at the time of purchase of the OEM 19" (I ordered the car in 18" and swaped afterwards), but so far they've been trouble free. I am of course carefull in the way I drive over bumpy roads / potholes (I pay attention, I drive slow and try to avoid them) but there have been instances where unavoidably I have fallen into some of them. No severe instances, but a few "near severe".

My conclusion: The OEM 19" are pretty solid and I don't seem to have any problems.
I can't think of any major metropolitan area in the world that has shittier roads than the ones we have in India. Sure there are stretches in the outback and other wilderness places that have more rutted roads, but for city streets ours have got to be the worst!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post
In the UK you can charge the local councils if you do damage you car by a pothole. I had a E46 alloy replaced after this happened to me.
Hahahahah! That's a laugh...that's the stuff dreams are made of for people like me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
if you live and drive in a area with alot of shitty roads/potholes like NYC/NJ then the insurance could be worth it. On my previous car i got 2 bent wheels, 1 bubble and 1 flat in 3 years of driving. So $600 for 5 years is a great deal.
I bubbled both my fronts within 6 months of buying the car and a friend kerbed a rear and took a chunk outta the sidewall. The fronts cost $400 each and the bloody rears cost $780 a piece in Bombay!

I haven't bent a rim, but I've shot my alignment more often than I care to remember because of our crap roads too!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #19
positiveions
Lieutenant General
positiveions's Avatar
Lebanon
114
Rep
10,529
Posts

 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
by the way, I've never bought any such warranty, but does it say anywhere that they will reimburse you 100% of the value of the wheels, or certain percentage? Some warranties will automatically consider wear and tear.I am curious.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #20
DevJ
Colonel
DevJ's Avatar
35
Rep
2,712
Posts

 
Drives: '14 Cayman S/IS350/RRS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tulsa, OK

iTrader: (1)

Kbk75,
I'm actually Indian lol I've been to India a few times! I can't imagine driving my m3 there!
__________________
E92 M3. SOLD
New: '14 Cayman S PDK
Incoming: GT-R Black Edition
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 12:08 AM   #21
CraZee M3
Private First Class
United_States
3
Rep
146
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
No rim is 100% safe from damage due to pot holes, most chance of damage and the amount is down to speed, depth of hole and the height of side wall. 18" will clearly be better than 19" and 19" will be better than 20".
that is not true as the 18s on the m3 are NOT FORGED. They are cast alum.
The 19s are FORGED which are stronger.
so for this case the optional 19s are stronger than the standard 18s.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 12:13 AM   #22
CraZee M3
Private First Class
United_States
3
Rep
146
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

well to us it was worth it. each tire is 300.. the warranty is 1000 retail but we got it for 600

A cracked or bent wheel once and the warranty pays for itself. Replacing a wheel.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST