BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Evolve Automotive

02-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
dizman7
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 99 E36 M3 Cabio

Standard stereo system questions

I was curious, is the standard stereo system in the M3 the optional Logic 7 system from the 3-series?

if not where does it stand compared to the Logic 7? where does the Enhanced Premium Sound package fall into those, in terms of quality I mean.

2yrs ago when I started driving in the Ultimate Test Drive event I remember driving a 335i convertible full loaded and I remember the stereo sounding awesome. fast forward to today and I pick up my new M3 coupe on tuesday and it has stock sound, but usually it seems with BMW as you good up in versions of the same series more of the options start becoming standard equipment.

Sure the stock stereo will sound better than my old Mustangs stock sound so that's fine, just curious if it would be the same as that Logic 7 system I heard or better
dizman7 is offline   United_States
      02-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #2
aus
Major General

Drives: Odysse

The standard stereo is just that, Standard. It's not the same as the Logic7. The upgraded stereo in the M3 is actually better than the Logic7 in the 335. The Logic7 in the 335 is not available in the M3.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
      02-02-2009, 12:45 AM   #3
jml
Captain

Drives: E90M3

I was pretty disappointed that BMWNA chose this route - though IMHO the enhanced version is pretty good. 09 335i no longer comes with logic7.

Check out BSW for an upgrade kit for the stock system (if you want something easy)
      02-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General

Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizman7 View Post
I was curious, is the standard stereo system in the M3 the optional Logic 7 system from the 3-series?

if not where does it stand compared to the Logic 7? where does the Enhanced Premium Sound package fall into those, in terms of quality I mean.

2yrs ago when I started driving in the Ultimate Test Drive event I remember driving a 335i convertible full loaded and I remember the stereo sounding awesome. fast forward to today and I pick up my new M3 coupe on tuesday and it has stock sound, but usually it seems with BMW as you good up in versions of the same series more of the options start becoming standard equipment.

Sure the stock stereo will sound better than my old Mustangs stock sound so that's fine, just curious if it would be the same as that Logic 7 system I heard or better
It seems that the jury is still out in the difference in sound quality between the Enhanced Premium Audio system and the Logic7, based on opinions in this forum. Some members say that there's no radical difference, some even say that Logic7 sound better.

The facts are that the Premium Audio has 16 speakers (Logic7 has 13), the build and thus apparent sound quality of those 16 speakers is almost aftermarket high end level, the DSP processing is apparently more detailed and OEM amp power output is more than double (825W max vs. some 380W max) the Logic7's.

IMO, it is not worth the $1900 cost as it still need some aftermarket help to really sound great. But as a OEM system it is a very, very good effort as it sounds radically better than the base system.
Technic is offline   United_States
      02-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
kmarei
Major General

Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II

Garage List
i have the base system and i am very impressed with it
the bass is great
the midrange is great
the treble is good but as clear as i would like
Before the M3 i had the Audi A5 with the B&O sound system
and honestly the difference between the 2 is not that great
better clarity in the Audi
but much better bass in the M3
overal volume difference is not that much even though the Audi had a higher watt rating
i didn't want the upgraded sound system
if i am going to spend 1900, i'd go aftermarket
i have never heard a factory system, on any car, that matches what i had before with aftermarket
and for 1900 i'd have a kick ass aftermarket system
kmarei is offline   Egypt
      06-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
MmmMmmGood
Registered

Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe, 6MT

Talking

Have an 09 6mt coupe - knew going in that the base sound system would not be logic 7 (thanks to this post) even though well meaning dealer kept trying to insist it was - curious by the way, that a demo 08 4 door had the logic 7 - which is why he was confident.
Anyway, the base system is ordinary at best, and def not fitting for a 60K + car. Lucky for any owner that the engine makes up for it and then some.