BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-31-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Kev's Avatar
Hong Kong
236
Rep
8,836
Posts

Drives: SMB F83
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
Be careful with self tapping screws

I installed the OEM aluminum pedals in my car yesterday. The installation was was very easy if you know how drill holes on steel (brake pedal / clutch pedal too). We took a short cut and used self tapping screws for the gas pedal. Immediately after installation, the gas pedal didn't feel right. It has a lot more resistance when I try to step on it. Turns out the self tapping screw in the bottom right corner, closest to the center console, is hitting the pedal mechanism. I removed that screw and now it works fine. I guess I have to replace the screws with the OEM screws and nuts next time I go into the shop.
__________________
kev { divinum est sedate dolorem }
"your friendly neighborhood critical care anesthesiologist"
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
FOXYCaymanS
_
FOXYCaymanS's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
426
Posts

Drives: Cayman S / Rover
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta & Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I installed the OEM aluminum pedals in my car yesterday. The installation was was very easy if you know how drill holes on steel (brake pedal / clutch pedal too). We took a short cut and used self tapping screws for the gas pedal. Immediately after installation, the gas pedal didn't feel right. It has a lot more resistance when I try to step on it. Turns out the self tapping screw in the bottom right corner, closest to the center console, is hitting the pedal mechanism. I removed that screw and now it works fine. I guess I have to replace the screws with the OEM screws and nuts next time I go into the shop.
You're lucky you were able to get the screw out and that it didn't cause an accident. Was the screw sticking out that much behind the pedal? Can you not use a smaller one or was this a short one that was just TOO close?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 04:22 AM   #3
Cab5er
Colonel
Cab5er's Avatar
China
36
Rep
2,341
Posts

Drives: 09 E90 M3 (Sold) 13 A1
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fremont, Hainan

iTrader: (22)

Stupid question but does anyone know what kind of screws you need for aftermarket pedals? I've got unltimate pedals coming but they didn't come with mounting hardware. What kind of screws and nuts are the oem ones?
__________________

E90 ///M3/ AW/ Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
endofanera7
Major General
endofanera7's Avatar
No_Country
169
Rep
5,247
Posts

Drives: 08 JB E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to endofanera7 Send a message via MSN to endofanera7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab5er View Post
Stupid question but does anyone know what kind of screws you need for aftermarket pedals? I've got unltimate pedals coming but they didn't come with mounting hardware. What kind of screws and nuts are the oem ones?
OEM pedals do have any screw... They are wrapped with plastic pieces.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 11:14 PM   #5
Scottyvh
Enlisted Member
Scottyvh's Avatar
Australia
2
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 Pure
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Perth, Western Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
. We took a short cut and used self tapping screws for the gas pedal. Immediately after installation, the gas pedal didn't feel right. It has a lot more resistance when I try to step on it. Turns out the self tapping screw in the bottom right corner.
This happened to me this morning first drive after installing mine last night. I was driving to work and had to stop and I thought maybe I had left something behind the pedals while drilling.

Hoping I can get the self tapping screw out and then cut a bit off or grind a bit off the end. Problem is the hole is going to be a bit off a mess and be slightly more loose.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 05:38 PM   #6
JDM_CL9
Second Lieutenant
Canada
25
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: ///M3 Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Toronto, #TheNorth

iTrader: (1)

Just use the proper hardware from the get go. It's a car, not a piece of drywall?

Your local hardware store should sell the proper drill bits to drill through steel.
__________________
2011 BMW E90 ///M3 - JB/FR
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 03:48 PM   #7
Richbot
Colonel
224
Rep
2,855
Posts

Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (2)

You need a couple screws loose to do this in the first place. Wtf.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 07:10 PM   #8
admranger
Lieutenant Colonel
admranger's Avatar
238
Rep
1,502
Posts

Drives: 2002 M3, 2011 M3, 2016 X5 40e
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
You need a couple screws loose to do this in the first place. Wtf.
Heh. I see what you did there.
__________________
'11 E90 M3, Mebourne/Black/Fox Red/Black, 6MT, PP2, heated seats, moonroof, split folding rear seats, iPod/USB adapter, Arc-8's, Technic harness, JL XD 6/600.
'02 E46M3, Imola/Black, 6MT, CWP, no sunroof, Ohlins, Eibachs, PFC DD rotors, PFC pads! HAT Clarus/Legatia speakers, 2 big amps in the back.
'16 X5 40e, Mineral White/Black Dakota Leather, ZLL, ZCW, ZDA, ZDB, ZPP, multi contour seats, HK
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:11 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST