BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
montreal red
chris
montreal red's Avatar
Canada
146
Rep
12,127
Posts

 
Drives: White Boat
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (31)

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
BMW performance shift knob installed

so i installed this a few days ago. the knob i got came with the original alcantara shift boot that doesnt fit the m3 since the boot size for the regular 3er and the M are different. so i had to order a custom boot from LeatherZ. quality is excellent and since they are using the original bmw rings, fitment is no issue.

opted for red stitching because i am having my M steering wheel reupholstered in alcantara with red stitching as well so i wanted the shift boot to match.

here are some pics of the install. it was very easy. almost knocked myself out when i was pulling the stock gear lever off but other than that, no problems.

review: the knob feels very good in the hand but i wished it was a little chunkier. i like the shorter throws but the top of the knob feels smaller than the stock. would have like it if the knob was a little larger (but not taller). weight wise, its got a good weighted feel to it. much heavier than stock (i'd say about 30% heavier).

will post more pics once my steering wheel has been reupholstered. should be another 2 weeks or so.
Attached Images
     
__________________

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General
Mr.Metak2you's Avatar
123
Rep
4,758
Posts

 
Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwr'

iTrader: (15)

Garage List
Looks good.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
boynbeagle7
Private First Class
boynbeagle7's Avatar
1
Rep
122
Posts

 
Drives: SG E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oregon

iTrader: (0)

pretty darn sweet. too bad I have the dct so can't do things like that. the red stitching sets it apart.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
youyou
Banned
youyou's Avatar
Canada
38
Rep
2,453
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Does it light up like the stock one?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 12:00 AM   #5
montreal red
chris
montreal red's Avatar
Canada
146
Rep
12,127
Posts

 
Drives: White Boat
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (31)

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
Quote:
Originally Posted by youyou View Post
Does it light up like the stock one?
no... thats one thing i do miss... too bad it doesnt light up. but i guess i am willing to give it up for the feel of the knob.
__________________

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 12:05 AM   #6
CodeRed
Private First Class
2
Rep
152
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E90 & 67 Alfa GTV
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: God's country

iTrader: (3)

Check out the Whalen shift machine knob..I have been very impressed with the brushed SS version. Looks slightly industrial in a good way and really shortens the throws.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
The Shiekh
Second Lieutenant
The Shiekh's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
267
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Danville, CA

iTrader: (1)

awesome combo love mine! looks great with red!
__________________
-James aka The Shiekh

2008 E92 M3 6MT SSII/Silver Novillo/Sycamore
BPU+ lol
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
montreal red
chris
montreal red's Avatar
Canada
146
Rep
12,127
Posts

 
Drives: White Boat
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (31)

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shiekh View Post
awesome combo love mine! looks great with red!
nice... the white stitching looks awesome too. i love the feel of the shift knob.
__________________

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 12:58 AM   #9
youyou
Banned
youyou's Avatar
Canada
38
Rep
2,453
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
no... thats one thing i do miss... too bad it doesnt light up. but i guess i am willing to give it up for the feel of the knob.
Aww that sucks...
It does look really nice, but i personally don't think i would be willing to give up the shifter lighting up.
Sucks cause your setup is nice...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 01:55 PM   #10
makots
First Lieutenant
makots's Avatar
Singapore
11
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: '08 e92 M3 AW 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to makots Send a message via MSN to makots Send a message via Skype™ to makots
i was thinking of doing the same but i didnt know whether to go with the imola red or the bright red. your guys know the difference between the two?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 02:07 PM   #11
Big Windy
Major General
Big Windy's Avatar
United_States
71
Rep
5,118
Posts

 
Drives: audi s4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: seatac, wa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
it looks great but i don't want to sacrifice the light up.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
tightie's Avatar
United_States
153
Rep
5,777
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 F80 YMB M3
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: los angeles, california.

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.95]
i have the same setup, i love it.
__________________
15 YMB F80 M3 | iND Painted Front Reflectors, Painted Side Marker Set, Rear Painted Emblem & Front Grill Surround| KW 3 Way Clubsport | Gintani Downpipes | Macht Schnell Stud Conversion Kit | JB4 | Too many wheels to list
*Track Day: December 19 @ Willow Springs Raceway
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 04:14 PM   #13
montreal red
chris
montreal red's Avatar
Canada
146
Rep
12,127
Posts

 
Drives: White Boat
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (31)

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
Quote:
Originally Posted by makots View Post
i was thinking of doing the same but i didnt know whether to go with the imola red or the bright red. your guys know the difference between the two?
i took bright red which is like a regular red color(have not seen imola red in person so i cant comment)... its easier to match cos my alcantara steering wheel is being reupholstered by another company. i am having it done with robson design (you should be familiar with them since they are based out of singapore).
__________________

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 04:15 PM   #14
montreal red
chris
montreal red's Avatar
Canada
146
Rep
12,127
Posts

 
Drives: White Boat
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (31)

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
it looks great but i don't want to sacrifice the light up.
yes, someone should make a performance shift knob with the lights inside. too bad.
__________________

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 04:35 PM   #15
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Robin_NL's Avatar
Netherlands
82
Rep
4,696
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

iTrader: (0)

I prefer the stock shiftknob and I want to put a small xenonlight in it. LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 05:51 PM   #16
makots
First Lieutenant
makots's Avatar
Singapore
11
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: '08 e92 M3 AW 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to makots Send a message via MSN to makots Send a message via Skype™ to makots
yea thats right montreal red! robson does amazing wrapping. whether leather, alcantara or carbon lamination. we had a r34 in sg that did like 90+ parts in the interior laminated in carbon. so basically the whole interior was carbon. looked awesome. though a little over kill but their quality is there. is there a robson design in the US?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 05:56 PM   #17
youyou
Banned
youyou's Avatar
Canada
38
Rep
2,453
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
i took bright red which is like a regular red color(have not seen imola red in person so i cant comment)... its easier to match cos my alcantara steering wheel is being reupholstered by another company. i am having it done with robson design (you should be familiar with them since they are based out of singapore).
I don't know if you know this but AGE tuning ( the guy on Ebay who sells the steering wheels ) has the M3 steering wheel in Full Alcantara with the M /// stiching. Not the half leather half Alcantara.
It's not listed on his Ebay store but i had contacted him about it and he quoted a price.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 06:53 PM   #18
slimj281
Private First Class
2
Rep
117
Posts

 
Drives: E92 cp 6-MT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
so i installed this a few days ago. the knob i got came with the original alcantara shift boot that doesnt fit the m3 since the boot size for the regular 3er and the M are different. so i had to order a custom boot from LeatherZ. quality is excellent and since they are using the original bmw rings, fitment is no issue.

opted for red stitching because i am having my M steering wheel reupholstered in alcantara with red stitching as well so i wanted the shift boot to match.

here are some pics of the install. it was very easy. almost knocked myself out when i was pulling the stock gear lever off but other than that, no problems.

review: the knob feels very good in the hand but i wished it was a little chunkier. i like the shorter throws but the top of the knob feels smaller than the stock. would have like it if the knob was a little larger (but not taller). weight wise, its got a good weighted feel to it. much heavier than stock (i'd say about 30% heavier).

will post more pics once my steering wheel has been reupholstered. should be another 2 weeks or so.
Did you get the shift knob from leatherZ also? Also did you get the boot for the e-brake?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 06:55 PM   #19
montreal red
chris
montreal red's Avatar
Canada
146
Rep
12,127
Posts

 
Drives: White Boat
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (31)

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimj281 View Post
Did you get the shift knob from leatherZ also? Also did you get the boot for the e-brake?
didnt get the boot for the ebrake. am only going to do the steering wheel and the shift knob and shift boot. shift knob i got from a fellow forum member that sold it to me. but leatherZ carries the same shift knob.
__________________

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 06:56 PM   #20
montreal red
chris
montreal red's Avatar
Canada
146
Rep
12,127
Posts

 
Drives: White Boat
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (31)

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
Quote:
Originally Posted by youyou View Post
I don't know if you know this but AGE tuning ( the guy on Ebay who sells the steering wheels ) has the M3 steering wheel in Full Alcantara with the M /// stiching. Not the half leather half Alcantara.
It's not listed on his Ebay store but i had contacted him about it and he quoted a price.
yea i've seen alcantara M steering wheels with the M stitching and also with black stitching but i kind of want to have it with red stitching so i figured having it custom made would be the way to go. some something a little more unique.

if youre interested, i can ask for a quote for you. send me a pm. i'll give you a link to their site where they do all sorts of different styles. i am actually buying the whole steering wheel frm them so i wont have to send them my stock steering wheel. only thing is that the wait time is a little long with the shipping and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makots View Post
yea thats right montreal red! robson does amazing wrapping. whether leather, alcantara or carbon lamination. we had a r34 in sg that did like 90+ parts in the interior laminated in carbon. so basically the whole interior was carbon. looked awesome. though a little over kill but their quality is there. is there a robson design in the US?
yes robson does some amazing work. i had a steering wheel rewrapped with them before on my old e90 328. i sold the steering wheel already. it had the contoured shape of the hartge steering wheel.

this time i am not going for something so crazy. the stock m3 steering wheel rewrapped with alcantara and red stitching would be great. hopefully it'll be done soon and they can ship it to me in about a week or two.
Attached Images
 
__________________

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 09:51 PM   #21
mike2016
Private First Class
mike2016's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
154
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 MW ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: city of industry, CA

iTrader: (0)

where did you get them from? and these were meant for the non-M3s?
__________________
11 e92 M3 mineral white ZCP DCT
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 12:04 AM   #22
montreal red
chris
montreal red's Avatar
Canada
146
Rep
12,127
Posts

 
Drives: White Boat
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (31)

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2016 View Post
where did you get them from? and these were meant for the non-M3s?
shift boot was custom made for the m3 since other shift boots wont work. got it from leatherz.com

the knob is the bmw performance shift knob. you can get it from the dealer or tischer bmw or from leatherz who also sells it.

steering wheel which is on the way is being custom reupholstered by a company from singapore.
__________________

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST