BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-28-2009, 10:55 PM   #23
camaross305
camaross305's Avatar
50
Rep
1,825
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: gainesville fl

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
+1 Those are done at your local body shop. There are instructions that come with the adhesive. My guy does body work for a lot of BMWCCA club racing cars and races in the series himself, so he knows all the ins and outs of bonding carbon fiber panels to steel.
Thats a good point. Well you may have to give me your friends contact info . My main concern is the adhesion process. Other than that it seems like its a cake walk


Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
You might want to check with the M6 community to see if something like that has happened and what BMW has done for proper replacement. Just because the dealer might end up patching something together does not mean that it will be up to factory spec and last as long. Long time ago, before the car was released, someone posted saying he spoke to a BMW employee who works at the factory in Germany who said there is no sound replacement process for the CF roof. I have no idea if that is true or not. If you search the forum, you might find that thread. Also, BMW has major body work facilities at the ports of entry on each coast. Maybe, that's where these things are addressed if there is a need. Anyway, good luck!
Thats a pretty good point im sure something has happened to someone with an m6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
I guess it can be done, but it probably won't be up to factory quality. Just like when you get body work done, I have yet to find a body shop that does a truely factory-standard paint job -- there are always minor defects to the discerning eye. After all, robots are better at these high-precision jobs.
Yea i hear ya. I know what you mean about the body work. Nothing is like an OEM job. However there are a lot of people who can get pretty damn close.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 11:13 PM   #24
camaross305
camaross305's Avatar
50
Rep
1,825
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: gainesville fl

iTrader: (20)

Option number two is two just take the side roof sills off (wont affect the roof seal) to tuck in the carbon fiber sheet , and lay a one piece 1x1 carbon fiber sheet over the entire roof and either clear coat or epoxy over it similar to what 360 does with their carbon wheels. Obviously take off the the roof sills like I said, roll in the sunroof, and remove the front and rear windshield rubber seals. This way the carbon fiber sheet is hidden and tucked in underneeth.



Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 11:42 PM   #25
Kev
Resident Anesthesiologist
Kev's Avatar
Hong Kong
180
Rep
8,815
Posts

 
Drives: VW bug with a misplaced engine
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaross305 View Post
Option number two is two just take the side roof sills off (wont affect the roof seal) to tuck in the carbon fiber sheet , and lay a one piece 1x1 carbon fiber sheet over the entire roof and either clear coat or epoxy over it similar to what 360 does with their carbon wheels. Obviously take off the the roof sills like I said, roll in the sunroof, and remove the front and rear windshield rubber seals. This way the carbon fiber sheet is hidden and tucked in underneeth.



If that's the case, why not just do the CF roof overlay? It's a lot cheaper and fully reversible.
__________________
kev { divinum est sedate dolorem }
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 11:46 PM   #26
camaross305
camaross305's Avatar
50
Rep
1,825
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: gainesville fl

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
If that's the case, why not just do the CF roof overlay? It's a lot cheaper and fully reversible.
Yea i thought about it but #1 is its 2x2 not 1x1. Also it comes out to about 750$ shipped from the seller on ebay which is a lot for an overlay. And a couple people have bought it on E90 and some say it started to bubble and warp.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #27
Kev
Resident Anesthesiologist
Kev's Avatar
Hong Kong
180
Rep
8,815
Posts

 
Drives: VW bug with a misplaced engine
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaross305 View Post
Yea i thought about it but #1 is its 2x2 not 1x1. Also it comes out to about 750$ shipped from the seller on ebay which is a lot for an overlay. And a couple people have bought it on E90 and some say it started to bubble and warp.
You can order a 1x1 from that same guy. As for warping and bubbling, it really depends on how you care for it. If you leave it out in the sun to bake and expose it to the elements, it'll turn bad regardless.
__________________
kev { divinum est sedate dolorem }
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 11:56 PM   #28
camaross305
camaross305's Avatar
50
Rep
1,825
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: gainesville fl

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
You can order a 1x1 from that same guy. As for warping and bubbling, it really depends on how you care for it. If you leave it out in the sun to bake and expose it to the elements, it'll turn bad regardless.
True.....

I saw this on e90 its pretty cool if you do a carbon roof with a sunroof.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=carbon+roof
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 11:57 PM   #29
camaross305
camaross305's Avatar
50
Rep
1,825
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: gainesville fl

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
You can order a 1x1 from that same guy. As for warping and bubbling, it really depends on how you care for it. If you leave it out in the sun to bake and expose it to the elements, it'll turn bad regardless.
well my car is garaged so.....
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 11:58 PM   #30
Kev
Resident Anesthesiologist
Kev's Avatar
Hong Kong
180
Rep
8,815
Posts

 
Drives: VW bug with a misplaced engine
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
Yeah, I think I've seen this done on E46s.
__________________
kev { divinum est sedate dolorem }
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 12:00 AM   #31
camaross305
camaross305's Avatar
50
Rep
1,825
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: gainesville fl

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Yeah, I think I've seen this done on E46s.
That would be pretty awesome if you did a carbon fiber replacement roof with a sunroof and used that ^...... that would be pretty cool. I would almost seem like a OEM carbon roof then hit the switch and its a sunroof lol
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 12:35 AM   #32
doba_s
Major General
doba_s's Avatar
United_States
148
Rep
6,099
Posts

 
Drives: M3, 1M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (26)

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
i wouldn't mess with it ... my friend took his e46 m3 to EvoSport and they did that job for him ... well about 1y later it started to leak somewhere i think ... when he took it to another shop they discovered that the job was crappy and everything was very rusty ...

it was all over the internet ... i saw his car in person without a roof and it didn't look good
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 12:42 AM   #33
camaross305
camaross305's Avatar
50
Rep
1,825
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: gainesville fl

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
i wouldn't mess with it ... my friend took his e46 m3 to EvoSport and they did that job for him ... well about 1y later it started to leak somewhere i think ... when he took it to another shop they discovered that the job was crappy and everything was very rusty ...

it was all over the internet ... i saw his car in person without a roof and it didn't look good
Yea thats why i would only have a BMW body shop do it in the recommended factory specs.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 12:56 AM   #34
Griz
Lieutenant
12
Rep
498
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 BMW Escort Type M
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
LOL~ OEM piece is mass produced so the cost of manufacturing is lower and Tischer doesn't try to rip you a new one either.
Yeah, higher production costs should make up for the fact that the lip is less than 1/10th the product.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #35
JonM
Private First Class
18
Rep
172
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (4)

The M coupe crowd removes their roof panels to replace with carbon ones. The process for the E92 would be similar, I think.

Factory roof panel remove & replace instructions:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...highlight=roof

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht=carbon+roof
__________________
Jon Maddux
14 S1000R | 09 F650GS | 08 M3 Sedan | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 10:33 AM   #36
Big Windy
Major General
Big Windy's Avatar
United_States
71
Rep
5,118
Posts

 
Drives: audi s4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: seatac, wa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
This sounds like a serious undertaking with a lot to potentially go wrong either during installation or, worse, down the line...I'm curious to see how it turns out if you go through with it, but its a big risk.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #37
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
MMMorish's Avatar
Canada
58
Rep
2,836
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
This sounds like a serious undertaking with a lot to potentially go wrong either during installation or, worse, down the line...I'm curious to see how it turns out if you go through with it, but its a big risk.
I don't get it! All that money spent on buying an M3 and now you're gonna get someone to cut the roof and put on a new one! What's the point? Have you ever thought about what permanant damage you could potentially be doing? How about future trade or resale in value? I mean, it's not like you're doing anything original to the car that can't be had from factory.

Just trade your car in for one with a CF roof from the factory and be done with it.
__________________
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #38
camaross305
camaross305's Avatar
50
Rep
1,825
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: gainesville fl

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
I don't get it! All that money spent on buying an M3 and now you're gonna get someone to cut the roof and put on a new one! What's the point? Have you ever thought about what permanant damage you could potentially be doing? How about future trade or resale in value? I mean, it's not like you're doing anything original to the car that can't be had from factory.

Just trade your car in for one with a CF roof from the factory and be done with it.
Yea i thought about that but then i wouldnt have .9% financing

Obviously i wouldnt just hack away at my roof. Its a 70k car.

My point was im sure m6 guys have got into a wreck, had a leak, etc. and im sure there is a factory procedure to replace the roof.

So your saying if something happens to someone with a CF roof they are screwed and their car is totaled?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 12:35 PM   #39
Kev
Resident Anesthesiologist
Kev's Avatar
Hong Kong
180
Rep
8,815
Posts

 
Drives: VW bug with a misplaced engine
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaross305 View Post
Yea i thought about that but then i wouldnt have .9% financing

Obviously i wouldnt just hack away at my roof. Its a 70k car.

My point was im sure m6 guys have got into a wreck, had a leak, etc. and im sure there is a factory procedure to replace the roof.

So your saying if something happens to someone with a CF roof they are screwed and their car is totaled?
Looked at the book today. It's a 26 hour job. The bonding kit and everything else will cost about 400 bucks. If people have been doing this on E46 M3s, Z4M and the like, I don't see what the big deal is with the replacement. Just find a COMPETENT body shop.

By the way, the CA route is a no go for keeping the sunroof. I don't have an explanation from them yet, but I'll ask them.
__________________
kev { divinum est sedate dolorem }
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #40
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
136
Rep
7,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
I don't get it! All that money spent on buying an M3 and now you're gonna get someone to cut the roof and put on a new one! What's the point? Have you ever thought about what permanant damage you could potentially be doing? How about future trade or resale in value? I mean, it's not like you're doing anything original to the car that can't be had from factory.

Just trade your car in for one with a CF roof from the factory and be done with it.
I strongly agree. Don't hack up a new car. You will lose far more in resale than the low finance rate will save you.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #41
Big Windy
Major General
Big Windy's Avatar
United_States
71
Rep
5,118
Posts

 
Drives: audi s4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: seatac, wa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
I strongly agree. Don't hack up a new car. You will lose far more in resale than the low finance rate will save you.
I wonder what a buyer would say when the spec sheet shows sunroof but the car clearly has CF?

Kev, of those 26 hours, how many are curing and how many are actual labor?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #42
Kev
Resident Anesthesiologist
Kev's Avatar
Hong Kong
180
Rep
8,815
Posts

 
Drives: VW bug with a misplaced engine
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
I wonder what a buyer would say when the spec sheet shows sunroof but the car clearly has CF?

Kev, of those 26 hours, how many are curing and how many are actual labor?
I have to look at it again. I think curing is overnight. The labor quoted is the standard in the bible of body work and doesn't including curing time. It's purely labor time.
__________________
kev { divinum est sedate dolorem }
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 04:59 AM   #43
spyderco10
Colonel
spyderco10's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,425
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Honolulu, HI

iTrader: (0)

Um, removing headliner and BOTH windshields? My previous car's (a Mini Cooper S) exterior roof got damaged due to a break in (one week after I bought it), so the body shop had to have the sunroof removed to repair it. They took it to BMW of Honolulu to remove the sunroof. What happened next is the stuff of nightmares.

In the process of removing the sunroof, BMW caused I would estimate $7,000 worth of collateral damage in the interior/exterior of my car. The damage ranged from punctures in the leather seats, scrapes/scratches on almost every single interior body panel, scratched tint, broken interior trim pieces, broken clips, loose bolts, crooked headliner, layer of dust throughout interior, etc....

And that was just the interior. They backed into something, scratched the bumpers, exterior trim pieces didn't fit good, etc. Apparently they were hoping I wouldn't notice the several thousand dollars worth of damage because they didn't say a word when I picked it up. To make a long story short, they ended up replacing all of the items they damaged, which was cool and it all worked out in the end.

And keep in mind this was the DEALER that worked on my car, and they ONLY removed the sunroof. Can you imagine what MORE is involved in removing the entire roof??

Now my experience was probably far from typcial, but even if 10% of what happened to me happens to you, you will not be a happy camper.

The decision is yours my friend, but make an informed one. And remember, if any collateral damage happens, the insurance company will not pay for it.
__________________
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 05:33 AM   #44
Big Windy
Major General
Big Windy's Avatar
United_States
71
Rep
5,118
Posts

 
Drives: audi s4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: seatac, wa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
Um, removing headliner and BOTH windshields? My previous car's (a Mini Cooper S) exterior roof got damaged due to a break in (one week after I bought it), so the body shop had to have the sunroof removed to repair it. They took it to BMW of Honolulu to remove the sunroof. What happened next is the stuff of nightmares.

In the process of removing the sunroof, BMW caused I would estimate $7,000 worth of collateral damage in the interior/exterior of my car. The damage ranged from punctures in the leather seats, scrapes/scratches on almost every single interior body panel, scratched tint, broken interior trim pieces, broken clips, loose bolts, crooked headliner, layer of dust throughout interior, etc....

And that was just the interior. They backed into something, scratched the bumpers, exterior trim pieces didn't fit good, etc. Apparently they were hoping I wouldn't notice the several thousand dollars worth of damage because they didn't say a word when I picked it up. To make a long story short, they ended up replacing all of the items they damaged, which was cool and it all worked out in the end.

And keep in mind this was the DEALER that worked on my car, and they ONLY removed the sunroof. Can you imagine what MORE is involved in removing the entire roof??

Now my experience was probably far from typcial, but even if 10% of what happened to me happens to you, you will not be a happy camper.

The decision is yours my friend, but make an informed one. And remember, if any collateral damage happens, the insurance company will not pay for it.
That sounds terrible. That'd be enough right there to convince me otherwise!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST