BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

OneEighty

09-23-2008, 01:29 AM   #1
Heinzftw
Major
Rep

Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Soo the big Debate...

So whether you are a democrat, republican, or a hippie. The wait is almost over! The first Presidential Debate is Friday 6pm pst. Anyone know what topics will be covered? I can't wait to see how McCain and Obama face off. I feel that Obama should have a miniscule advantage due to his apparent enthusiasm. Any thoughts?

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

Drives: Olsa

oh boy, cant wait! i just remember the last debates, kerry owned bush in the first one. Then of course bush drop-kicked kerry in the balls on the last two and sadly george bush still reigns over our united states.

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 12:12 AM   #3
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

I think Obama is the better speaker of the two, and carrys more energy, but I don't discount McCains adaptability, and experience.

The current financial bailout is bound to be a hot topic. I know it has people ranting on internet forums across the country. It will be interesting to see how differently they're approaching the problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 01:13 AM   #4
qship
Disillusioned bourgeois capitalist pig!
Australia
Rep

Drives: Blue

Gawd it is even being shown live here in Austalia. As if we didn't get enough US sit coms!
      09-24-2008, 01:17 AM   #5
Heinzftw
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qship View Post
Gawd it is even being shown live here in Austalia. As if we didn't get enough US sit coms!
Don't lie to us! I know your going to be watching!!! :biggrin::biggrin:

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 07:41 AM   #6
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
I think Obama is the better speaker of the two, and carrys more energy, but I don't discount McCains adaptability, and experience.

The current financial bailout is bound to be a hot topic. I know it has people ranting on internet forums across the country. It will be interesting to see how differently they're approaching the problem.
Some info on the debate, this one covers Foreign Policy and National Security-

http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/...d-ac5f02faea26
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
RobLS
Major
Rep

Drives: M3 Coupe

i think liberal and hippie are melding into one party now.. maybe green activists is more like it
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
Heinzftw
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLS View Post
i think liberal and hippie are melding into one party now.. maybe green activists is more like it
Yeah, it kind of seems like that. Obama will get most of the Green Party vote along with most undecided. Btw just got my voter registration approved card in the mail yesterday!! Very happy now.

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
Nixon
Banned
Rep

Drives: :

McCain wants to call off the debate.

His stated reason is that he will be too busy with the 700B bailout to make the debate. That unlike the President of the United States (who will take time out of his busy schedule to speak to the US people this week) that McCain doesn't think he can spare any time at all to stand up in front of the American people and talk to them.

Personally, I would think it would be the perfect opportunity and platform to stand up and get the US people behind any plan that he might be promoting. It would be time put to great use in front of the largest audience he could possibly imagine. But McCain is saying that he can't spare any time at all for a debate.

Can't spare a single square (hour).

So either McCain is oblivious to the power of standing up in front of the US people and promoting his plan in what will be the single largest opportunity to talk to us -- OR he's seen the latest poll numbers and he is chickening out from the debate.

I'm sure his backers here will somehow explain why McCain's time is more important than the President of the United State's time. And how it is more important for McCain to be in some dark room deep in the Senate Office building, than it is to speak to the American people. It will be pretty funny to hear them trying to twist this into an Anti-Obama attack, instead.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 03:09 PM   #10
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
McCain wants to call off the debate.

His stated reason is that he will be too busy with the 700B bailout to make the debate. That unlike the President of the United States (who will take time out of his busy schedule to speak to the US people this week) that McCain doesn't think he can spare any time at all to stand up in front of the American people and talk to them.

Personally, I would think it would be the perfect opportunity and platform to stand up and get the US people behind any plan that he might be promoting. It would be time put to great use in front of the largest audience he could possibly imagine. But McCain is saying that he can't spare any time at all for a debate.

Can't spare a single square (hour).

So either McCain is oblivious to the power of standing up in front of the US people and promoting his plan in what will be the single largest opportunity to talk to us -- OR he's seen the latest poll numbers and he is chickening out from the debate.

I'm sure his backers here will somehow explain why McCain's time is more important than the President of the United State's time. And how it is more important for McCain to be in some dark room deep in the Senate Office building, than it is to speak to the American people. It will be pretty funny to hear them trying to twist this into an Anti-Obama attack, instead.

Or he thinks that dealing with the current crisis (and that's exactly what it is) is more important than becoming the next President.

Why do some of you guys take every opportunity to bash away at anyone who isn't your candidate.

Calling John McCain a chicken......WTF?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 03:10 PM   #11
Nixon
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yes, NPR talked to some debate organizers today, and even though this is a foreign policy debate, the bailout will be given time in the first debate.

Unless of course McCain gets his way and the debate doesn't happen. I was looking forward to hearing the candidates stand up and debate the issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 03:14 PM   #12
Nixon
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Or he thinks that dealing with the current crisis (and that's exactly what it is) is more important than becoming the next President.

Why do some of you guys take every opportunity to bash away at anyone who isn't your candidate.

Calling John McCain a chicken......WTF?

If the swipe fits....

I guess you just ignored everything I said about the debate being a unique and valuable time to talk to the US people about any deal that he wanted to promote.

Or what I said about the President having time to talk to the US people, but not McCain.

I personally don't want a President who doesn't think talking to the US people is worth his valuable time. ESPECIALLY in the middle of a crisis.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #13
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep

Drives:

As of today the McCain camp is indicating they would like the debate deferred to work the financial crisis in Washington.

I would think that the process of picking the leader that will provide the vision to get us out of this mess would be more important than one or two additional voices in Washington (even if they are key voices). You can delegate working through the $700B bailout plan, you can't delegate a debate that presumably benefits the electorate in this critical choice.

-Spook
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 03:52 PM   #14
Nixon
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
As of today the McCain camp is indicating they would like the debate deferred to work the financial crisis in Washington.

I would think that the process of picking the leader that will provide the vision to get us out of this mess would be more important than one or two additional voices in Washington (even if they are key voices). You can delegate working through the $700B bailout plan, you can't delegate a debate that presumably benefits the electorate in this critical choice.

-Spook
Especially when the debate will:

1) Address the issue of the bailout.
2) Will be happening at 9 PM at night.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #15
Nixon
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Why do some of you guys take every opportunity to bash away
Actually, it is McCain himself who took the first swipe at bashing. McCain's surrogates are already attacking Obama on this issue, insinuating that unless Obama agrees not to debate Friday, that Obama is somehow in the wrong.

Here is how it all played out:

Obama called McCain at 8:30 AM this morning, asking McCain to join him in a bipartisan JOINT STATEMENT about the bailout. SIX HOURS later, McCain called him back and agreed. Minutes after agreeing to make a JOINT statement, McCain instead releases his press statement about the bailout and the debate. Now his surrogates are making the rounds implying that Obama is the bad guy.

So much for McCain agreeing to Obama's request for bipartisan Joint action on the issue.

So I don't feel at all guilty for attacking McCain BACK on this issue...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 04:11 PM   #16
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
No_Country
Rep

Drives: BMW

Does Mc McCain have enough power do help? Sounds like a political tactic and I must admit, it's a good one. Being the second oldest to run (72+) and then his running mate (no comment) this is I must admit a very smart move...

I can't wait to see if Oh..Obama will take him up on it... or come up with something even better...

This is going to make a good TV movie in 2020, if we are all still around...LOL

EspressoBoy
Want a good laugh??? See the roidder's Nightly Potato
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=roidder

My fav is... The Nighly Potato Ep 5
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 04:12 PM   #17
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post

-Spook

Personally I would rather have the next leader involved in a debate over $700 BILLION dollars of the countries money. :iono:

Expecially when the only negative aspect is that the public will have to watch them debate a little later.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 04:22 PM   #18
Nixon
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Personally I would rather have the next leader involved in a debate over $700 BILLION dollars of the countries money. :iono:
I would rather have a leader who can walk and chew gum at the same time.

I want a leader who can take an hour or so to talk to the American people about a crisis WHILE it is going on. (Not "a little later" after the legislation has been passed). And at the same time have his delegates continue to work the issue while he talks to us.

Step, Chew, Step, Chew.

It is completely funny that the same McCain campaign who has been trying to convince us all year that everything is just fine, and that we're just having a "Mental Recession", and that there isn't a problem, we're just a "Nation of Whiners" -- all the sudden figures out we're in a crisis.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 04:34 PM   #19
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 135i

I think the debate should go as planned, including the agreed upon topics.

This issue is too big and too serious to take lame-ass reporter type questions in that format. The whole situation is so fluid it would be hard to do the topic justice in a soundbite setup as well.

And the players here are just 3 out of 100 Senators too, then we have the House, and President that all need to agree, yikes!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 05:32 PM   #20
Heinzftw
Major
Rep

I am very excited. Would like to see how a young aspiring junior senator does against a cold as iron P.O.W who himself is an amazing speaker.

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 07:03 PM   #21
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
I would rather have a leader who can walk and chew gum at the same time.

I want a leader who can take an hour or so to talk to the American people about a crisis WHILE it is going on. (Not "a little later" after the legislation has been passed). And at the same time have his delegates continue to work the issue while he talks to us.

Step, Chew, Step, Chew.

It is completely funny that the same McCain campaign who has been trying to convince us all year that everything is just fine, and that we're just having a "Mental Recession", and that there isn't a problem, we're just a "Nation of Whiners" -- all the sudden figures out we're in a crisis.

You're too far out there to even bother responding to any farther. Consider this my last one. I've got no time for extremists or people who lack respect for fellow citizens, even the ones who don't agree with their views.

The far left is as scary to me as the far right. You have to resort to extremes on even the smallest issues. I can't even take what you say seriously.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 07:06 PM   #22
Nixon
Banned
Rep

McCain's debate hijinx has just developed another sick twist.

Not only does McCain want to avoid a debate this Friday, he wants to avoid PALIN's debate next Thursday:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ing-vp-debate/

"McCain supporter Sen. Lindsey Graham tells CNN the McCain campaign is proposing to the Presidential Debate Commission and the Obama camp that if there's no bailout deal by Friday, the first presidential debate should take the place of the VP debate, currently scheduled for next Thursday, October 2 in St. Louis.

In this scenario, the vice presidential debate between Joe Biden and Sarah Palin would be rescheduled for a date yet to be determined, and take place in Oxford, Mississippi, currently slated to be the site of the first presidential faceoff this Friday."

I'll bet Palin is all booked up until at least Nov 5th....

To me, this whole thing nothing more than Coach McCain desperately trying to call a "time out" in the middle of a play -- because his QB has faded 9 yards back from the line of scrimmage, and the entire defensive line is charging down on him.

McCain saw his poll numbers drop to a 9 point disadvantage, and this whole "Suspending his Campaign" is nothing more than an attempt at shutting down Obama's charging momentum.
Appreciate 0