BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

European Auto Source

09-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #89
larryn
Major General

Drives: '97 332ti, '10 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post
Illness is the only reason I know of for replacement. Daughter being pregnant, I don't think that even gets to to the level of dismissal. Do you?
No, I do not think so, but it does raise a HUGE question...

Somebody had to know of "a story" involving Palin, Palin's daughter, and a baby, and threatened to leak it. My guess is that somebody heard about it, and incorrectly put 2 and 2 together, and got the story wrong, but the parties correct. There were too many people snooping around the subject for it to not get admitted.

These things don't just pop out of thin air like that only a couple days after the potentially incorrect story, regarding a Palin, her daughter, and a baby...
larryn is offline   United_States
      09-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #90
atr_hugo
No longer moderate

Drives: SWB 335i

I don't think anyone can consider Time magazine in the tank for Republicans: http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...7862-1,00.html
atr_hugo is offline   No_Country
      09-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #91
PA135i
Major

Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

This is a private family matter and a dead issue.
PA135i is offline   United_States
      09-01-2008, 05:41 PM   #92
larryn
Major General

Private or not, it's in the public light now and hardly dead, and there is now a possibility of her respectfully stepping down off of the ticket.

Who's the first to make a crying "LEAVE SARAH ALOOOONE!" youtube video? :wink:
      09-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #93
bigslick82
Second Lieutenant

Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Private or not, it's in the public light now and hardly dead, and there is now a possibility of her respectfully stepping down off of the ticket.

Yeah, but it's a minor child still. Even Obama has come out in support of Palin (he said his mother had him at 18) and it's a private matter.
      09-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #94
PA135i
Major

Quote:

I doubt that she will step down because of her daughter having a child. This is something that happens to many American families.
What is the reason for her stepping down? Because she has problems like every other American family? Was she supposed to make public a private family matter that is no busniess of anyone but her immediate family?
      09-01-2008, 06:07 PM   #95
larryn
Major General

Was Cheney's hunting accident less newsworthy? Or Hillary's whitewater controversy?

Palin is on record that she has firm values that abstinence should be the only spoken birth control method and is staunchly against sex education in schools... Those are political points she believes in, and they are pertinent to the breaking news story.

Btw, I didn't say she should or would step down, but you have to admit, it is a possibility.
      09-01-2008, 06:24 PM   #96
larryn
Major General

No, not at all, but it is a partial result of her parenting that her 17 y.o. daughter is pregnant. Abstinence, though nice in thought, is not reality today. Kids have sex. Being responsible in teaching your kids how not to be pregnant is must these days.

Heck, I have two teenage daughters, who are extremely responsible, good people, but we make sure they know of their options.

I think it's somewhat of an embarrassment to the McCain campaign though, and is definitely costing votes.

One thing comes to mind though. People keep talking about "what if she became POTUS?". That leads me to immediately think, what will happen to the make-up of the Supreme Court, and what will happen to Roe vs. Wade?
      09-01-2008, 06:25 PM   #97
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member

Drives: E92 M3

yeah, i think you are right DaleM

most of us here are reasonable human beings (most...hehe)

i think there are a lot of catholic far right people who are going to read this and scream blasphemy. The media has picked it up, and it will be bad for the GOP

my only reason for bringing it up... this is NOT good
ScottyGams is offline   United_States
      09-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #98
bigslick82
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
No, not at all, but it is a partial result of her parenting that her 17 y.o. daughter is pregnant. Abstinence, though nice in thought, is not reality today. Kids have sex. Being responsible in teaching your kids how not to be pregnant is must these days.

Heck, I have two teenage daughters, who are extremely responsible, good people, but we make sure they know of their options.

I think it's somewhat of an embarrassment to the McCain campaign though, and is definitely costing votes.

One thing comes to mind though. People keep talking about "what if she became POTUS?". That leads me to immediately think, what will happen to the make-up of the Supreme Court, and what will happen to Roe vs. Wade?

An embarrassment is shooting your hunting buddy in the face, or meeting Monica in the oval office for a private get together, or going into the airport bathroom and spreading out a bit. I could go on and on. The difference is this is about a child who is not running for office. And I don't think the Palin's family life is costing McCain votes. No one did not vote for Carter because Billy was crazy.
      09-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #99
larryn
Major General

You drank some of his beer though, didn't you?

Btw, the whitewater scandal cost Bill Clinton votes. He still won, but it cost him votes.

Also btw, I'm still undecided, and not leaning one way or the other to much. Ultra-conservatism is a big negative in my book though.
      09-01-2008, 06:43 PM   #100
PA135i
Major

Not me. I wasnt old enough. hehehe
      09-01-2008, 06:59 PM   #101
bigslick82
Second Lieutenant

It was a couple years before my time.

Whitewater cost Clinton votes you are right, but I just find it hard to believe voters would punish McCain for something concerning his VP pick's daughter. If that's the case, they are just looking for a reason not to vote for him. If she was on the top of the ticket, it might be a different story.
      09-01-2008, 07:04 PM   #102
Noize
Under the radar

Drives: FWD in reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
I think the GOP just put their foot in their mouth. Its obvious that he is going after Hillary's voters. What if something happens to 72yr old John McCain. Is this woman ready to be commander in chief? She is 44yr and have 5 children. Sadly, one of them is an infant with down syndrome. Lets not forget that she has only been in office as Governor for 2006. This is not good IMHO. Joe Biden will chew her up and spit her out.

What do you think??
I think I'd rather have an inexperienced VP than an inexperienced President such as Obama.
Noize is offline   United_States
      09-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #103
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member

wait a minute... lemme get this straight.

it is not like the 17 y.o. daughter just got pregnant. she is 5 months pregnent!

being young myself, that pisses me off. How could Palin accept going on the ticket and subject her young daughter to that kind of scrutiny. This girl's life is going to be hell till november, and if McCain wins, for the next 4 years!

Even if the daughter said it was okay, that is really selfish of Palin to take the nomination. There are other qualified republicans to take VP. I really don't like her now for what she is doing to her daughter in these troubled times.

I know the youth vote is going democrat anyway, but this is garbage
      09-01-2008, 07:59 PM   #104
PA135i
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGams View Post
wait a minute... lemme get this straight.

it is not like the 17 y.o. daughter just got pregnant. she is 5 months pregnent!

being young myself, that pisses me off. How could Palin accept going on the ticket and subject her young daughter to that kind of scrutiny. This girl's life is going to be hell till november, and if McCain wins, for the next 4 years!

Even if the daughter said it was okay, that is really selfish of Palin to take the nomination. There are other qualified republicans to take VP. I really don't like her now for what she is doing to her daughter in these troubled times.

I know the youth vote is going democrat anyway, but this is garbage
Geeez, your waaaay off base with those comments. What are you talking about? Palin is being selfish now because her daughter is pregnant and she accepted the nomination for VP? If her mother gets elected VP it will be like winning the lottery. Come on think it through.
      09-01-2008, 08:23 PM   #105
Call
Call

Drives: 08 135i, 08 & 07 X5, 05 MCSC

I think some are missing the point in this VP situation. McCain picked her knowing all these things. I look at Palin and her family situations as strenghts to the ticket and I think many fair-minded voters can relate to her. I shutter to think about a teenager having to bring a little baby into this world without a strong mother & father as Bristol has. And have you noticed nowhere do you hear this characterized as an unwanted pregnancy by Governor Palin. She has no problem in facing up to whatever challenge comes her way. That used to be something we all looked for in leadership.

True leadership requires sacrifice. You see a leader who has not sacrificed...you don't see a leader.

Call
      09-01-2008, 08:32 PM   #106
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja325ci View Post
Geeez, your waaaay off base with those comments. What are you talking about? Palin is being selfish now because her daughter is pregnant and she accepted the nomination for VP? If her mother gets elected VP it will be like winning the lottery. Come on think it through.
stop it. perhaps i should not have posted my comment on the internet because it is an emotional reaction to the news, but i know what i feel.

i just feel for the daughter. she is being thrown to the media wolves against her will because her mom wants to go for a seat of power. a teen is pregnant on a national stage. this girls life is going to be under a microscope and she has a baby. take the republican/democrat out of it for a second. that sux.

not every kid wants to be the daughter of the VP, especially when they have a teen pregnancy.

and could you chill with the "off base". that would insinuate that im wrong. I have never heard of a wrong emotional reaction. I'll keep my mouth shut because this is an independent talking to republicans, im never going to break through. I feel for the daughter, is all, over the next couple months
      09-01-2008, 08:32 PM   #107
ARES45
Major

Drives:

If this is the worst she's got then I don't waiver a bit on my vote. I was having protected sex at 17 and my parents believe abstenance is the way. You can be the best of parents, but kids make decisions on there own and she did choose life which is a difficult choice at her age.

Quick personal story, ignore if you like. My Grandmother was a staunch catholic and was pro-abstenance and pro-life. However, when her only daughter was preggo out of wed-lock she pressured her daughter to abort it. The daughter (my aunt) decided to have it and he is now one of the most intelligent people I know doing great things. Why is this relevent? Because you don't know your position until the chips are really down and Palin taught her daughter to be pro-life even when it is the toughest choice. You would have never known anything about this if she had pressured her daughter to have an abortion because those records are sealed. So to me Palin seems to have done the right thing thusfar, by standing by her beliefs.

It does suck that the daughter is going to be in the media a lot.
      09-01-2008, 08:38 PM   #108
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
I think some are missing the point in this VP situation. McCain picked her knowing all these things. I look at Palin and her family situations as strenghts to the ticket and I think many fair-minded voters can relate to her. I shutter to think about a teenager having to bring a little baby into this world without a strong mother & father as Bristol has. And have you noticed nowhere do you hear this characterized as an unwanted pregnancy by Governor Palin. She has no problem in facing up to whatever challenge comes her way. That used to be something we all looked for in leadership.

True leadership requires sacrifice. You see a leader who has not sacrificed...you don't see a leader.

Call
well put. She does have a good mom it looks like steering her through this. I just don't know if the ambition to be VP outweighs the negetives of subjecting your daughter to media scrutiny.

Palin could have been Governer of Alaska and not had CNN posting the daughter's picture while split-screening a McCain spokesman explains away the bad publicity. This little girl can't leave her home now without the cameras in her face. She can't go to school without everyone around her snickering. Does no one else see where I am coming from? Do you all remember how fragile you were when you were 17?

In no way am I smashing Palin's politics, wheter I agree with them or not. I just think that for the daughters sake, she might have considered declining the nomination

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
If this is the worst she's got then I don't waiver a bit on my vote. I was having protected sex at 17 and my parents believe abstenance is the way. You can be the best of parents, but kids make decisions on there own and she did choose life which is a difficult choice at her age.

Quick personal story, ignore if you like. My Grandmother was a staunch catholic and was pro-abstenance and pro-life. However, when her only daughter was preggo out of wed-lock she pressured her daughter to abort it. The daughter (my aunt) decided to have it and he is now one of the most intelligent people I know doing great things. Why is this relevent? Because you don't know your position until the chips are really down and Palin taught her daughter to be pro-life even when it is the toughest choice. You would have never known anything about this if she had pressured her daughter to have an abortion because those records are sealed. So to me Palin seems to have done the right thing thusfar, by standing by her beliefs.

It does suck that the daughter is going to be in the media a lot.
great story. It makes a strong case for pro-life. You make a good point about "is this the worst they could dig up" argument. In terms of Palin's record, this is nothing. I just really feel bad for the daughter, and Palin could have avoided all this for her, so it erks me a little.
      09-01-2008, 08:41 PM   #109
PA135i
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGams View Post
stop it. perhaps i should not have posted my comment on the internet because it is an emotional reaction to the news, but i know what i feel.

i just feel for the daughter. she is being thrown to the media wolves against her will because her mom wants to go for a seat of power. a teen is pregnant on a national stage. this girls life is going to be under a microscope and she has a baby. take the republican/democrat out of it for a second. that sux.

not every kid wants to be the daughter of the VP, especially when they have a teen pregnancy.

and could you chill with the "off base". that would insinuate that im wrong. I have never heard of a wrong emotional reaction. I'll keep my mouth shut because this is an independent talking to republicans, im never going to break through. I feel for the daughter, is all, over the next couple months
Sorry, Scott. Did not mean to insult you. Her daughter was the daughter of a Governor. That is kind of a spotlight position. Postion of power. I feel for her also and I'm sure she will be given the best care possible. Obama has even told the press to call off the dogs. Lets see if it works.
      09-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #110
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja325ci View Post
Sorry, Scott. Did not mean to insult you. Her daughter was the daughter of a Governor. That is kind of a spotlight position. Postion of power. I feel for her also and I'm sure she will be given the best care possible. Obama has even told the press to call off the dogs. Lets see if it works.
thank god. If any politician would go after another over their daughter I would puke.

That does not stop MSNBC (the democratic fox news) from having a field day. I hope this little girl comes out of this alright. I mean the stress can affect the pregnancy, and what if the daughter hates the child for the burden. There are just so many wrong things that could happen. I am not even super religious, and I am praying for this girl to just be sheltered for a while.

Anyway, sorry for thread jacking. I just got a little carried away in the course of 2 hours with this story.