BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Steve Thomas BMW

08-31-2008, 04:19 AM   #45
adrean8j
Brigadier General

Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to adrean8j
Does anyone remember that he (Obama) originally did NOT want to run for president this early? His original plan was for in another 8 years (I think that was the time frame...) for the very reason of "experience". He was basically forced by the democrats to "show his hand early", if you will, due to the pressures of his party. I think BOTH of the party's have made this political race interesting and I for one cannot wait to see what Obama, Mcain, Biden, and Palin have to say over the coming weeks.
adrean8j is offline   No_Country
      08-31-2008, 06:20 AM   #46
edge350
Junior Cheeseburger

Drives:

You can spin it, flip it, analyze it any way you want, but reasonable people who have spent their lives working around and in government see this selection for what it is...crazy bullshit!!

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/13001.html

“It would be one thing if she had only been governor for a year and a half, but prior to that she had not had major experience in public life,” Dallek said of Palin. “The fact that he would have to go to somebody who is clearly unqualified to be president makes Obama look like an elder statesman.”

McCain did Obama a huge favor. Now it's going to be very hard to rail against Obama's "inexperience" when he has the 18 month governor of a sparsely populated state anchoring his campaign. How much "executive experience" can you give her when there's only 600,000 people in the whole state??

Where have you gone, John McCain? And who's the Republican running for president? The guy who ran in 2000 wouldn't have pulled crazy bullshit just to get elected.

Crimson Red/Terra 135i, delivered 4/19/08, traded in 9/8/08. Recovering addict, still a fan.
      08-31-2008, 06:49 AM   #47
edge350
Junior Cheeseburger

Drives:

McCain picked her for the godforsaken evangelical vote. Once again, he crawls back into bed with the Christian right.
This is from Slate:

James Dobson of Focus on the Family announced earlier this year that he wouldn't and couldn't vote for McCain. Today he pronounced himself converted, thanks to a ticket that now includes someone for whom "the sanctity of life isn't just a political position." Now maybe Dobson will get busy mobilizing the faithful, because it's not just age, but organizational skills, that the McCain campaign has to worry about.

A deep ring of Hell is reserved for James Dobson, the "Reverend" Al Sharpton and other fat cat politicians that hide behind religion.

Crimson Red/Terra 135i, delivered 4/19/08, traded in 9/8/08. Recovering addict, still a fan.
      08-31-2008, 08:37 AM   #48
Call
Call

Drives: 08 135i, 08 & 07 X5, 05 MCSC

It's funny that some of you who are supporters of Obama/Biden can't say anything wonderful about your team but constantly attempt to belittle McCain/Palin. Why can't we just take about the issues...those your team support and why?

I'd like to get it all out on the table so the voters can make a decision based on the facts for each side. If you support an issue tell us why and I can respect that but to support an issue and then beat around the bush about it doesn't show much conviction.

Why belittle those issues others support with conviction? Let's draw that line in the sand so there is no question where each candidate stands and the winner rules.

I know this might be too simple for some but trying to demean one side to enable another side to rise really doesn't crank my tractor. Let your candidate stand on their own merits. If it's not good enough...it's not good enough.

Call
      08-31-2008, 08:39 AM   #49
BForbes

Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge350 View Post
You can spin it, flip it, analyze it any way you want, but reasonable people who have spent their lives working around and in government see this selection for what it is...crazy bullshit!!

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/13001.html

“It would be one thing if she had only been governor for a year and a half, but prior to that she had not had major experience in public life,” Dallek said of Palin. “The fact that he would have to go to somebody who is clearly unqualified to be president makes Obama look like an elder statesman.”

McCain did Obama a huge favor. Now it's going to be very hard to rail against Obama's "inexperience" when he has the 18 month governor of a sparsely populated state anchoring his campaign. How much "executive experience" can you give her when there's only 600,000 people in the whole state??

Where have you gone, John McCain? And who's the Republican running for president? The guy who ran in 2000 wouldn't have pulled crazy bullshit just to get elected.
Very well put Edge!! Long time no see man. :biggrin: Anyhow, I have a feeling she will only give his campaign legs up until the convention. I hear W isnt speaking anymore b/c of the hurricanes. I really wish he was there. I want people to have a visual of McCain/Bush. Oh well.
      08-31-2008, 01:19 PM   #50
Steelerbimmer
Private First Class

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
The Republicans are spinning this just like everyone say they would. Barack has 8years in Congress and 3years in the House. I think he trounces her in experience.

This statement leaves no doubt that you are not qualified to speak on this subject.

Nobambi was not in the congress for 8 years and never was in the House.

He had a few years in the corrupt IL senate and cowardly voted "present" about 130 times and less than four years in the U.S. Senate with only 143 days of actually in the Senate and the rest of the time trying to fool the American people that he is qualfied to be POTUS.

His only real experience is being a "community ramble rouser" and 20 years in a racist, America hating so called church.

Oh yeah, Nobambi is as much qualified to be POTUS as you are talking about it.

Which is zilch, nada, zippo, nothing.
      08-31-2008, 01:27 PM   #51
Steelerbimmer
Private First Class

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslick82 View Post
B, Doesn't matter about foreign policy experience when you got McCain at the head of the ticket. She'll learn under fire and gives this ticket something it never had - sex appeal. My god for a 44 year old with 5 kids...

You know I got to say at first I was baffled but this choice, but after I stopped googling her pictures, I got bored and read her bio. Some really impressive stuff in there, and if you like Obama, you still have to admit she's a self-made woman who despite strong conservative stances, has a history of working very well with both parties. True Biden has more experience than she does, but she's got executive on the job experience as jkp pointed out. After her speech today, she might have stolen some of the thunder of Obama's great speech.

It also is a win-win for Republicans. If McCain gets in, she's the heir. If not, she goes back to Alaska, runs the heck out of the state, comes back the favorite for 2012. Her and Bobby Jindal on a ticket would be just as big as Obama w/ Biden. Maybe I'm blinded by the hot-mom thing, but wow. McCain did his homework!

Well said.

Palin has more relevant executive experience as Gov. and Commander in Chief of the Alaska Nat. Guard than Nobambi or Plugs Biden.

Don't forget, McCain was the commander of an entire Navy Flight Group after his release from the Hanoi Hilton.

Again, executive, life and death relevant experience.
      08-31-2008, 01:33 PM   #52
Steelerbimmer
Private First Class

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGams View Post
well... it does kind of show that McCain is forming his campaign based on what the Democrats are doing.

I hate this choice, and the longest leadership experiance she has is being mayor of a town 5000 strong. When McCain is for whatever reason, unable to act as President, I do not feel comfortable with some nobody from ALaska running things.

Obama 08 I guess. I'm a student anyway, so I won't get my balls taxed off.

Are you planning on being a student forever?

So you do agree that a vote for the demonrats and Nobambi will result in a major tax increase for everyone that actually works for a living?
      08-31-2008, 01:35 PM   #53
larryn
Major General

Drives: '97 332ti, '10 E92 M3

I asked via PM to keep the rhetoric down. If people cannot argue their points without childish pet names, please move along.

Last chance.
larryn is offline   United_States
      08-31-2008, 02:24 PM   #54
sadu77
Second Lieutenant

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post
You make that sound like a bad thing. Like T Boone says, "drill drill drill but lets balance that by also trying to find replacement fuels"

I do think its a bad idea. Republicans need a new playbook. america is waking up.
Gray Poplar Trim
Nav system
Comfort access
Power/Heated seats
Sattelite radio
Ipod
Production number 398****
      08-31-2008, 02:30 PM   #55
sadu77
Second Lieutenant

Drives:

The experience argument is spin. its not relevant to the election. the issues are whats important:The War, Fuel, Health Insurance. Mcain will not win. This country is ready for a different direction. you all know it.
Gray Poplar Trim
Nav system
Comfort access
Power/Heated seats
Sattelite radio
Ipod
Production number 398****
      08-31-2008, 03:05 PM   #56
BForbes

Lets check out their respective resumes.

Palin: Bachelor's degree in Journalism from the University of Idaho. Briefly worked in broadcasting as a sports reporter for local Anchorage television stations. Palin spent four years on the Wasilla "City" Council. Two-term mayor of Wasilla, population approx 6000, from 1996-2002. Governor of Alaska, population 670,053, from December 2006 to present.

Obama: Bachelors degree in political science and foreign relations from Columbia U. Law degree from Harvard Law School. Editor of the prestigious Harvard Law Review. Graduated Magna Cum Laude. Majored in Constitutional Law. 2+ yrs. as a community organizer between college & law school. Practiced civil rights law, law professor at University of Chicago. Wrote two best-selling books. Senator of the 13th district in Illinois from 1996-2004, representing approx 653,647 constituents. Representing Illinois in the U.S. Senate from 2004-2008 Obama was representing approx 12,831,970 constituents. Member of Veterans' Affairs Committee; Senate Foreign Relations Committee; Committee on Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs; Committee on Health, Education, Labor & Pensions. Created the largest and most effective field campaign in modern Democratic history. Broke new ground through use of online organizing. (The original two lists compiled by Puma J; additions by Kossacks.)
      08-31-2008, 03:26 PM   #57
PA135i
Major

Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

It's interesting how you have to highlight the resumes of the VP candidate vs. the Presidential candidate.

I know, I know McCain is old and is about to die in office right?
Ronald Reagan was elected President at age 69 and served for 8 years. When did age become a criteria for President? I thought qualifications did?
PA135i is offline   United_States
      08-31-2008, 04:19 PM   #58
edge350
Junior Cheeseburger

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
Very well put Edge!! Long time no see man. :biggrin: Anyhow, I have a feeling she will only give his campaign legs up until the convention. I hear W isnt speaking anymore b/c of the hurricanes. I really wish he was there. I want people to have a visual of McCain/Bush. Oh well.
Thanks, dude.
New tag, huh? You still have the best avatars. :smile:

There's rarely any compromise or concession on the 1Addicts political threads. That's what real debate requires - a certain amount of fairness to concede when your opponent is right. Everyone is skewed so far to either side that this always ends up degenerating. But occasionally, it IS entertaining...

08-31-2008, 04:35 PM   #59
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerbimmer View Post
Are you planning on being a student forever?

So you do agree that a vote for the demonrats and Nobambi will result in a major tax increase for everyone that actually works for a living?
can i do that? haha

i am probably going to vote for Obama/Biden (what's with the Nobambi hack name?)

I am looking to punish the republican party, have the Dems fix things up for the next 4-8 years, and then when I have an income, I see myself going republican (to the dismay of my mother).
ScottyGams is offline   United_States
      08-31-2008, 06:32 PM   #60
BForbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge350 View Post
Thanks, dude.
New tag, huh? You still have the best avatars. :smile:

There's rarely any compromise or concession on the 1Addicts political threads. That's what real debate requires - a certain amount of fairness to concede when your opponent is right. Everyone is skewed so far to either side that this always ends up degenerating. But occasionally, it IS entertaining...

I agree. I'm not afraid to admit when I believe I've made a mistake or see that I'm wrong. Just b/c I'm voting Obama dosent mean I dont agree with Republicans on some issues. I look forward to the U.S. giving the Democrats another shot. If they mess up, their future opponent should mop the floor with them. IMHO, BUSH has messed up. His party will and should be held accountable. I would have more respect for McCain if he called Bush out on numerous occasions. Instead he aligns himself with him. Sadly I know its the nature of these things. I've got a lot of friends in the UK that blamed Bush for the demise of Tony Blair.
      08-31-2008, 06:56 PM   #61
ARES45
Major

Drives:

I for one am excited to have someone with a 'real' life in the whitehouse. Career politians usually have spent more of their recent years begging for money as opposed to working for it.

This gives the republicans two candidates who have commanded troops which is important to me.

Palin is closer to the average American than any candidate and has real life problems and experiences, and the fact she doesn't owe favors to any Washington lobbyists is really a bonus for me.
      08-31-2008, 07:39 PM   #62
bigslick82
Second Lieutenant

Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja325ci View Post
It's interesting how you have to highlight the resumes of the VP candidate vs. the Presidential candidate.

I know, I know McCain is old and is about to die in office right?
Ronald Reagan was elected President at age 69 and served for 8 years. When did age become a criteria for President? I thought qualifications did?
Great point! He didn't chose Palin because he's going to die. He chose her because he saw something in her that people would listen and relate to, and thereby help him try to win the election. It's not spin. People are just shocked that she came out of left field (literally). Face it, she's a great face for the future of the party. She's a republican Obama in that way.
      08-31-2008, 08:35 PM   #63
E82tt6
Colonel

Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

See in her? He saw her ONCE for 15 minutes....

I wonder if she told him then that she hadn't given much thought to the war in Iraq?
      08-31-2008, 08:42 PM   #64
E82tt6
Colonel

Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post
The President's position is an executive position very much like governing, very unlike legislative positions. So you can legislate for 100gazillion people and still have more preparation for president being a Mayor of Nonamesville, Kansas.
So you think she make a better POTUS than McCain?

Out of curiosity, do you consider running the largest and most successful political campaign in decades, and attracting the largest numbers of individual donors ever, not to mention beating a canidate that was considered a sure thing backed by a supposedly unstoppable political machine to be any sort of accomplishment as an executive? Seems to me the leadership ability he showed running his campaign is impressive than that displayed by any other canidate.
      08-31-2008, 08:43 PM   #65
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
I for one am excited to have someone with a 'real' life in the whitehouse. Career politians usually have spent more of their recent years begging for money as opposed to working for it.

This gives the republicans two candidates who have commanded troops which is important to me.

Palin is closer to the average American than any candidate and has real life problems and experiences, and the fact she doesn't owe favors to any Washington lobbyists is really a bonus for me.
that's actually quite an interesting perspective. I never thought about it like that. I am going to admit, i kinda get that "gag ticket" vibe about her, but it has some weight to see amilitary guy pro-palin.

You're comment sparked me to research Biden's favors due (he has been in Congress forever, I figured he had to know somebody). He is there poorest Senator in Congress! If he owes somebody something, he sure got ripped off!:eyebulge:

It is kinda cool that you guys are discussing this btw:headbang:

I think I'm sick of hearing Anchors say things. I want to know what America really has to say. I thought this thing was going to be an OBAMA walk! I guess being from Democratic Jersey, the local media has just slanted the image
ScottyGams is offline   United_States
      08-31-2008, 09:06 PM   #66
WhiteOne
Major

Drives: 2008 AW 135i

As soon as one side thinks they have it all wrapped up, they lose.
WhiteOne is offline   United_States