BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

08-23-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
BForbes

Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008!!!

Wow..I just listened to first OBAMA/BIDEN rally. Wow...just wow. This will be incredibly interesting. Biden is not afraid to push the punches. They have 9 weeks to do their stuff on the undecided voters.

Who should John McCain pick to better suit his position? Any thoughts?
      08-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator

Drives: to work, mostly.

Biden is a horrible choice. I don't seem him adding much to the ticket at all, and his presidential campaigns have all fizzled from an extreme lack of interest. (Except in 1988, when he was laughed out after plagiarizing a speech by British Labour Party leader Neil Kinnock.)

Obama could've done so much better. Casey, Webb, Bayh, just to name three. Or a "National Unity" ticket with someone like Hagel. Heck, even Clinton (however much disdain the two have for each other) might've even made more sense on a pragmatic level.

(Yes, I know, Webb took himself out of the running...)
jkp1187 is offline   United_States
      08-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
bigslick82
Second Lieutenant

Drives: -

Great point jkp - If Obama is all for change then why did he tap a guy to be vp who is a Washington insider? Someone whose been in the Senate longer than McCain even.

Most signs point to this recent poll: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4370512.shtml

in which McCain was 5 points ahead. Obama comes off as needing an "attack dog" to go after McCain and everyone knows Biden doesn't play nice with the other party. It's smart because it solidifies the weak points of his campaign (foreign policy), but it in turn makes him a hypocrite. I wanted change - but here's more of the same. In the debates, Biden said he doesn't think Obama is ready to be president. As far as Clinton goes, do you know what a slap in the face this is to her? She didn't even get asked for her financial records (which is like the first step of action).

I don't know who I'm going to vote for, but I can tell you I don't like either of them.
      08-24-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
BForbes

Your opponent always talks crap about you not being ready to be President. I think Biden was a very smart choice. Obama didnt need to add someone passive to weaken his ticket. He stated he did not want a ''yes man.'' I for one know that these pollings are extremely flawed. It is nice though when the numbers are in favor for your guy. Biden brings a different perspective to the ticket. Why hold a grudge for the sake of personal issues. At the end of the day Obama is still #1 on the ticket. Every Dem I've spoken to are very excited. It should be interesting who McCain should pick. Everyone is commenting on how bad of choice Obama made. WHO SHOULD MCCAIN PICK? ROMNEY?

I think its pretty obvious that Biden was upset over how the war is being run, and that American troops are STILL there. Not that we went to war in the first place. Yes, he disagrees with Obama on that, but thats what I think is great. Instead of surrounding himself with yes men, he's surrounding himself with people who WILL challenge him. Lincoln did the same thing. Biden adds something that this ticket desperately needed. Being someone who touches people through words can only take you so far. Obama did what I would have dont. This is the United States Presidency we are talking about here.
      08-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #5
Redbeemer
"Ne plus ultra"

Drives: BMW 135 Coupe

Hey, guys am I on the wrong forum? I thought this was about the 128/135. Not interested in politics, but if I was I would be watching CNN.
Redbeemer is offline   United_States
      08-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
bigslick82
Second Lieutenant

Bobby Jindal took himself out of the running. He's the Republican party's answer to Obama (Smart young clean-cut family man type). Romney would appeal to the base more than any other person mentioned. He became the 'grand ol' party' choice for the right-wing lifers, but doesn't appeal to anyone other faction. Right-wingers are going to hold their nose and vote McCain anyway, so that would add nothing. Huckabee would appeal to the Evangelical crowd, but that adds little to his ticket either (despite a Chuck Norris endorsement :biggrin.

I've also seen Condy Rice talked about, and that would be, um, trying to trump the other guy. Lieberman is also reported to be considered and I think that would undercut Obama's message of unity at the knees.
      08-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #7
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

I guess we could look through a different lens and, instead of seeing it in terms of short-term politics, we could consider whether it was a good choice for a new, relatively inexperienced President to make. What's Biden bring? First, foreign policy expertise and at least as tight a set of personal relationships with foreign leaders (and their opponents) as McCain. Second, lots of Hill institutional knowledge...beneficial since "Change" won't occur without successfully working with Congress. And third, someone known to be pretty blunt and plain-spoken. Now how is that going to hurt, given the mess the mumblers and bumblers have made of things?

Washington Insider? Dunno. Biden passes on the cocktail circuit & takes the train home most evenings...

Jack
      08-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post
Hey, guys am I on the wrong forum? I thought this was about the 128/135. Not interested in politics, but if I was I would be watching CNN.
its in the off topic -> politics forum...

what's the problem? we can ONLY talk about the 1er here, or can this community grow?

thank you, and we all await your approval:iono:
ScottyGams is offline   United_States
      08-24-2008, 04:13 PM   #9
PA135i
Major

Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Obama has been slipping in the poles for a month now. People are taking a second look at him and are having second thoughts. Obama's weak point is foriegn policy..enter BIDEN. I think he was a good choice even though I dont think he will help him much in changing peoples minds who are having a second look at Obama.

In June, everyone was saying McCain had no shot. Things change. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Also, interesting is the Clinton/Obama convention. Geeze he gave the Clintons 3 days.. and many Hilliary supporters will be pledging for her. What a circus. PUMA - Party Unity MY Ass... lol

This election will be won on the economy. Obama says no drilling.. (then said maybe) Obama says no nukes. The energy issue along with the economy will decide the election. It is interesting.
PA135i is offline   United_States
      08-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
bigslick82
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in St. Pete View Post
...beneficial since "Change" won't occur without successfully working with Congress. And third, someone known to be pretty blunt and plain-spoken. Now how is that going to hurt, given the mess the mumblers and bumblers have made of things?

Washington Insider? Dunno. Biden passes on the cocktail circuit & takes the train home most evenings...

Jack
All due respect, first and foremost, the Congress is controlled by Obama's party. Most of them (and maybe some Republicans) will bend over backwards to help him, so working Congress shouldn't be a problem. Second, 35 years in the Senate sounds to me like an insider. If you think not, there's enough for guilt by association. I don't care if he took a car or train home (if he took a 1 series...that's different :biggrin.

I live near Springfield, IL. I've been following Obama's campaign. Two things he has harped on from the start are "change" and "unity." Biden doesn't bring either. For example, look at how Obama ran the early campaign. He stood up to the Clintons (we know that's a big no-no). Whether you liked the guy or not, he never took the safe route.

So what about now? He takes the safe way out, pandering to the left-wing. It doesn't say "Let's everyone unite and change," it says "Left-wingers unite and keep doing what you're doing." If he really was about uniting the party, why chose a guy who polarizes your campaign? It's just politics as usual.

Nick
      08-24-2008, 07:03 PM   #11
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!

Drives: Not a BMW

When was the last time any of you voted for one candidate or the other based on his (almost her) VP pick?

A lot of talk about nothing....
      08-24-2008, 08:13 PM   #12
BForbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002s View Post
When was the last time any of you voted for one candidate or the other based on his (almost her) VP pick?

A lot of talk about nothing....
I dont think this election is like any other. You can add a lot of ''when was the last times'' in this current situation. Its quite remarkable IMO.
      08-24-2008, 09:48 PM   #13
04Enthusiast
Second Lieutenant

Drives: BMW 128i Cpe

Biden? What happened to hope and change?
04Enthusiast is offline   United_States
      08-25-2008, 08:24 AM   #14
JB135i
Lieutenant

Drives: 135i

Biden speaks the truth, well at least once-

This from the August 2007 debate:

"I think he can be ready, but right now I don't believe he is. The presidency is not something that lends itself to on-the-job training."

If Biden is his first choice for VP imagine what the person in 3rd place would say about him LOL.
      08-25-2008, 12:21 PM   #15
imported_saturn
Private

Drives:

I'm from Delaware (where Biden hails from) and let me tell you that he is insane. And he also always struck me as one of the most fake politicians I've ever come across. And he is barking mad.
      08-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #16
BForbes

Come on now..Bayh, Sebeullius, Kaine?? I'm glad Obama didnt pick a passive VP. That would have been exactly what the GOP wanted. At least Biden knows how many houses he owns. I cant wait to see who John McCain picks. Obama's good judgment & strategic decisions during a long difficult campaign proved his mettle to the people ...and to Biden. You cant deny this guy has run an awesome campaign.

That quote was from ''August 2007" Way before he took out the political dynasty known as the ''Clintons.'' Before he beat all odds and garnered 18million votes. Why hasnt the novelty worn off like everyone said it would. Obama has found his attack dog:

I cant wait to watch him debate.
      08-25-2008, 06:58 PM   #17
Papito135
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Its all politics. Biden told the truth then and he is lying now to get more vote. Biden will just about say anything to get elected vice president.

US Army 11C 1983-1993
09 Sedona Red Metallic 135i
09 Ford F-150 Platinum
Papito135 is offline   Puerto Rico
      08-25-2008, 08:05 PM   #18
PA135i
Major

Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

He gets in trouble tho when he talks a lot. He may end up causing more problems for Obama.
PA135i is offline   United_States
      08-26-2008, 08:01 AM   #19
JB135i
Lieutenant

Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post
"Right now" was 12 months ago. Obviously he feels differently. He must think Sen O is ready NOW not then, just my guess.
The last twelve months has been almost all campaigning. He has done virtually nothing in the Senate of note, hell, not even liberal stuff. Certainly very little toward a resume for President.

With the exception of his non-campaign, campaign trip oversees where he tried to get votes from the Germans of course.

I guess he ran out of states to campaign in, after all, there are only 57 of them LOL.

PS- As much as I don't want Obama to be president, this type of comment will happen when you do that many speaches, but it's still funny. Like the potato thing with Quale or the Clinton thing with the Jefferson statue. Stupid/funny stuff happens to all of us...
      08-26-2008, 08:28 AM   #20
Steelerbimmer
Private First Class

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post

If you really want to hear both sides of the arguement then FOX News would be the more fair and balanced choice to watch.

There have both political sides evenly represented unlike the major medias do such as ABC, CBS, and NBC.

Even CNN and MSNBC are way too the Left with their coverage and commentary.

They do not even attempt to be even-handed especially MSNBC with the likes of Obermann and Chris "a tingle up his leg" Matthews.

Obermann never has a guest who differs from his Leftist opinions the coward that he truly is.
      08-26-2008, 08:31 AM   #21
jrc
Second Lieutenant

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135i View Post
Stupid/funny stuff happens to all of us...
LOL -- more examples:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories...939_Page2.html
      08-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #22
Steelerbimmer
Private First Class

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja325ci View Post
Obama has been slipping in the poles for a month now. People are taking a second look at him and are having second thoughts. Obama's weak point is foriegn policy..enter BIDEN. I think he was a good choice even though I dont think he will help him much in changing peoples minds who are having a second look at Obama.

In June, everyone was saying McCain had no shot. Things change. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Also, interesting is the Clinton/Obama convention. Geeze he gave the Clintons 3 days.. and many Hilliary supporters will be pledging for her. What a circus. PUMA - Party Unity MY Ass... lol

This election will be won on the economy. Obama says no drilling.. (then said maybe) Obama says no nukes. The energy issue along with the economy will decide the election. It is interesting.

Obambi would be a real danger to the short and long term security of this country both economically but especially from a national defense point.

As liberal as GWB has been with his big government spending, he did take the fight to the "rats in dirty nightshirts" but he could have been even more aggressive than he has been in doing so.

Juan McPain is not the best option in some ways, but he is the leper with the most fingers in this election and he will kill bad guys and that is job one for the next Commander in Chief.

Not head school marm, not chief economist, not head nurse but Commander in Chief.

Obambi can not even stand up to the Clinonistas so how will Obambi stand up to those who wish and plan to do the USA harm?

We need a Commander in Chief ready on day one and although McPain is on the wrong side of some issues he he mostly right on the major issues.

I like Romney for POTUS but as VP he will likely be the GOP choice in the next election since McPain will only last four years and not run for a second term.