BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #45
adam135aoc
adam_txGarage
adam135aoc's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
87
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 850CSi
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas Tx

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to adam135aoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel1961 View Post
Not to pile on, but did you see the mentally-marginal Maxine Waters yesterday? She wants to 'Socialize' (then she figured out 'Nationalize') the oil companies...

God save us.
Venezuela here we come! you have to love those socialist.. i mean democratic senators
__________________
txGarage Texas Car Enthusiast! BMW 850CSi
twitter _
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 11:41 AM   #46
PA135i
Major
PA135i's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
1,197
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Venezuelas' oil is like syrup and only 2 countries have the capability to refine it. USA is one of them.
So the screwy Dictator there threatens with cutting the oil off. Wonder if he knows that his country's income will be almost zero then.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #47
imported_saturn
Private
0
Rep
85
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Mar 2008

iTrader: (0)

The president in modern times does very few things. He can make war and influence public perception abroad through foreign policy. All the other stuff like vetoes and supreme court appointees is very inconsequential when it comes to influencing the issues most people say they care about (i.e. - the economy and the war). People should be more concerned about their Congressmen than the president. They're the ones making all the laws, spending all the money, etc.

The fact that some people don't get why the word "change" is so appealing is baffling. People want to feel good and happy regardless of reality. Clinton made massive mistakes in dealing with the Middle East that had huge implications for our reality today. Yet, all you hear about is how great he was because the economy happened to be doing well and he played the saxophone.

Personally, I don't think of myself as Republic or Democrat. I tend to hate all of the candidates. Given my belief that a president is more of a figurehead than anything else if a candidate came out and said that he was instituting policies so that in 10 years we'd be as far away from foreign oil as possible I'd vote for him/her. I want a president who will say this is the single direction we're going and we are going to get there, period. I think so many other issues stem from that dependence and a lot could be solved if we broke from that.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 12:49 PM   #48
colonel1961
Rammer Jammer
6
Rep
411
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Dec 2007

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja325ci View Post
Venezuelas' oil is like syrup and only 2 countries have the capability to refine it. USA is one of them.
So the screwy Dictator there threatens with cutting the oil off. Wonder if he knows that his country's income will be almost zero then.
And, of course, when it is zero, the US of A will ride in there with aid of every known kind...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #49
Madjack
Private
0
Rep
59
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2007

iTrader: (0)

I think what we really need to be focused on is the clowns we have in Congress and the Senate. Those are the idiots that are driving this country into the dirt.

Hey, here is a good idea. Lets take food and turn it into fuel. That will get us off foreign oil. Idiots.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 02:50 PM   #50
adam135aoc
adam_txGarage
adam135aoc's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
87
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 850CSi
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas Tx

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to adam135aoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjack View Post
I think what we really need to be focused on is the clowns we have in Congress and the Senate. Those are the idiots that are driving this country into the dirt.

Hey, here is a good idea. Lets take food and turn it into fuel. That will get us off foreign oil. Idiots.
well you too can do your part!
http://www.iraqvetsforcongress.com/candidates.htm

check them out.. donate money... show support... i have...
__________________
txGarage Texas Car Enthusiast! BMW 850CSi
twitter _
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 11:42 PM   #51
jbenington86
Major
United_States
13
Rep
1,053
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 128i, 2015 M235i(Lost)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 M235i (On Boat)  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
im not so sure id want the army or marines running the country just because they are veterans from the iraq war.....
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 04:31 AM   #52
Heinzftw
Major
Heinzftw's Avatar
41
Rep
1,202
Posts

 
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Jose, Cali

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja325ci View Post
Whao whao... take it easy pal.

You want to take a chance on a guy with NO experience. It's your vote. Go for it. A guy who sat in church and listened to hate speak from a idiot preacher. You really believe Obama when he says he never heard him speak like that?

We have had 8 years under Bush. 6 of the 8 we have had a booming economy. Same as the Clinton administration. The economy runs in cycles and its Global now more than ever. The USA is 30% of the worlds economy. If we suffer so does everyone else. We should have addressed the Oil issue 30 years ago and started drilling in Alaska 10 years ago. It's our oil. I personally dont think the economy is that bad now. My company cant stop hiring, and its been like that since 2002 with no end in sight.

It is in our national interest to have a Democratic Iraq. Believe what you want. Why haven't you heard Iraq much in the news the past 18 months? Because there has been no bad news to report.

They keep rolling out McCain said 50 -100 years in Iraq, but fail to use what he said after that. "the American people dont care about occupation, they care about casualties" We have been in Japan, South Korea, Germany, Philippines to name a few since WWII. A presence there isn't the question. It's casualties that need to end. And they have decreased singnificantly over the past 18 months since the Surge.

About the rest of the world hating us. I travel the world for work. I have been in Germnay, Singapore, Thailand for 4 months and The Philippines. Have never heard one person down the USA. Not one. And I know one thing for sure. I am very very lucky to be an American citizen. Everybody wants to come here. I know first hand. Be glad you can vote for who you want, and live in a country where anyone can make it. There are a lot of other people throughout the world that would beg to come here.
Have you ever even taken economics? When Clinton was brought into office one of the main concerns he had was our economy. He vowed to get our nation out of debt. The reason we were in debt at the time is because Old man Bush drove us down. Clinton made a surplus while in office. Bush Jr. as of now is digging us all a grave we might not ever be able to get out of.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi335 View Post
saw you comment and i'd lay on my bed and cry, then i put some Yulio Iglesias music, no more problem.


-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 09:21 AM   #53
colonel1961
Rammer Jammer
6
Rep
411
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Dec 2007

iTrader: (0)

Oh, for the love of Pete - have you ever taken Economics? The answer is obviously 'no'.

Please tell me ONE thing that Bill Clinton did to get our nation out of debt. Just one program. You can't do it. You know why? Because he didn't do anything...

He was the fortunate beneficiary of the internet bubble during which we experienced huge job growth (creating tax revenues) and even larger capital gains (again creating huge tax revenues). That is the only nominal reason that the books got balanced. And Bill Clinton didn't do a damned thing but be in the right place at the right tme. And, then take credit it for it, of course! And when the bubble burst, we went right into a recession, which is where we were when GWB entered the front door.

Please, read/learn a little more before you make asinine assertions...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #54
jbenington86
Major
United_States
13
Rep
1,053
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 128i, 2015 M235i(Lost)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 M235i (On Boat)  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
look i didnt have to write anything....colonel1961 ur the man
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #55
colonel1961
Rammer Jammer
6
Rep
411
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Dec 2007

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenington86 View Post
look i didnt have to write anything....colonel1961 ur the man
Thanks, but I was kinda hoping this thread was Zed...

'Who's Zed? Zed's dead, baby.'

:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #56
ARES45
Major
12
Rep
1,002
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel1961 View Post
Oh, for the love of Pete - have you ever taken Economics? The answer is obviously 'no'.

Please tell me ONE thing that Bill Clinton did to get our nation out of debt. Just one program. You can't do it. You know why? Because he didn't do anything...

He was the fortunate beneficiary of the internet bubble during which we experienced huge job growth (creating tax revenues) and even larger capital gains (again creating huge tax revenues). That is the only nominal reason that the books got balanced. And Bill Clinton didn't do a damned thing but be in the right place at the right tme. And, then take credit it for it, of course! And when the bubble burst, we went right into a recession, which is where we were when GWB entered the front door.

Please, read/learn a little more before you make asinine assertions...
I am not disagreeing with you because what you say is true, but he did do one thing that assisted in decreasing the debt....

Rape the Hell out of your Military! At least that is what my brother (who was serving and got out during the second down sizing during the Clinton years) and every other person who I have talked to that was in at the time has told me. I also can not find two soldiers who would vote for Clinton, so that may tell you something. (I actually can't find one, but if I said that some joker would chime in and say I am voting for her)

Now the fact that he cut military spending wouldn't bother 98% of the country, and it obviously didn't because most didn't notice unless they were serving or had family members serving. But it bothers me, so I posted about it.

Those were the poorest years of the military, and I would hate to get paid 20% less than my civilian counterpart so that Joe Freeloader who is too lazy to work can have healthcare that contributes to a rapidly deteriorating healthcare system.
__________________
"Don't run, you'll only die tired" ~ Gunship Pilot
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 10:22 AM   #57
colonel1961
Rammer Jammer
6
Rep
411
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Dec 2007

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
I am not disagreeing with you because what you say is true, but he did do one thing that assisted in decreasing the debt....

Rape the Hell out of your Military! At least that is what my brother (who was serving and got out during the second down sizing during the Clinton years) and every other person who I have talked to that was in at the time has told me. I also can not find two soldiers who would vote for Clinton, so that may tell you something. (I actually can't find one, but if I said that some joker would chime in and say I am voting for her)

Now the fact that he cut military spending wouldn't bother 98% of the country, and it obviously didn't because most didn't notice unless they were serving or had family members serving. But it bothers me, so I posted about it.

Those were the poorest years of the military, and I would hate to get paid 20% less than my civilian counterpart so that Joe Freeloader who is too lazy to work can have healthcare that contributes to a rapidly deteriorating healthcare system.
I agree with your comment about downsizing the military. My original response was more related to economic policy/theory than line item cuts...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 10:26 AM   #58
ARES45
Major
12
Rep
1,002
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

iTrader: (0)

I here you colonel, just throwing it out there for those who are unfamiliar.
__________________
"Don't run, you'll only die tired" ~ Gunship Pilot
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #59
RobLS
Major
11
Rep
1,193
Posts

 
Drives: M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Perpetual Rain

iTrader: (0)

Yeah, was thinking this thread would be dead by now, thank you for the last two inputs though.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #60
jbenington86
Major
United_States
13
Rep
1,053
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 128i, 2015 M235i(Lost)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 M235i (On Boat)  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
its polotics its never dead
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #61
Heinzftw
Major
Heinzftw's Avatar
41
Rep
1,202
Posts

 
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Jose, Cali

iTrader: (0)

Look, was just trying to make a point. Times were not good with Clinton, but they were a hell of a lot better than right now. I for one don't care if you are a liberal or a conservative. It just feels that as of now, our country seems f#$%ed for the next couple of years.

The things I hope Obama or McCain will accomplish during their presidency:
End the war
Stop this recession
Get the illegals out
Stop corruption throughout our government
Pretty much all I can think of for now. Anyone else want to add?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi335 View Post
saw you comment and i'd lay on my bed and cry, then i put some Yulio Iglesias music, no more problem.


-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 04:07 PM   #62
RobLS
Major
11
Rep
1,193
Posts

 
Drives: M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Perpetual Rain

iTrader: (0)

Technically I believe we are not in a recession. The president does not have a direct connect to how the economy is anyhow. And for those gas prices, buckling down on the oil companies wont help for shit.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 07:59 PM   #63
colonel1961
Rammer Jammer
6
Rep
411
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Dec 2007

iTrader: (0)

Well, I'm neither a liberal nor a conservative. That's a false dichotomy.

We are not in a recession. Period. We are in a time of slow economic growth. No President (or economic model) will ever eliminate the business cycle, i.e., there will always be periods of growth and periods that lack such.

You can be unhappy with this administration, that's your prerogative. Nonetheless, the President has less power than you might think, vis-a-vis your wish list of accomplishments. Congress (House and Senate) has more direct impact via legislation, since the President is in the executive branch, but I assume you know that.

Let's all hope for a quick resolution to this war and some sensible immigration policy.

Gas prices (not on your list, but someone else's) are being primarily driven by speculation. Not much we can do about that other than a) driving less, thereby diminishing demand, or b) joining the speculators. Don't worry too much though, the law of gravity applies to the spot crude market, as well.

Peace.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #64
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
atr_hugo's Avatar
No_Country
77
Rep
4,247
Posts

 
Drives: SWB 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

Once again, Colonel - you're right on the money - literally, money has been moving to the commodities markets (gold & oil) for some time. At some point, before long, the folks in the know will be quietly selling and making hay when us schmucks start buying. Then the bottom'll drop out. My family moto, "Buy high, sell low!" ; -)
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 08:06 PM   #65
colonel1961
Rammer Jammer
6
Rep
411
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Dec 2007

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Once again, Colonel - you're right on the money - literally, money has been moving to the commodities markets (gold & oil) for some time. At some point, before long, the folks in the know will be quietly selling and making hay when us schmucks start buying. Then the bottom'll drop out. My family moto, "Buy high, sell low!" ; -)
That's the second time you've said I'm right and my wife thinks your nuts...

:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #66
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
atr_hugo's Avatar
No_Country
77
Rep
4,247
Posts

 
Drives: SWB 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

Your wife may be onto something there . . .
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST