BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-02-2008, 02:04 AM   #1
Heinzftw
Major
 
Heinzftw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Jose, Cali

Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (0)

Which car which car?

So, I know many of you will be saddened to hear this, but owning a 1 for me is definitely a few years away. With graduation about a month away I have opted for a car for graduation. With only being 17 about to turn 18. I know many of the folks in here probably would of guessed I was in my 20's making 6 figures a year. That for me is about 6-8 years away. But enough about me! So I pretty much have a budget of about 5k for a car. As much as I want to I don't think I could afford any BMW to truly enjoy and appreciate it. Right now I am looking a neighbors 1998 Chevy Z28, 1999 Acura CL 3.0 with a manual gearbox, or anything really under 5k. I have driven the Z28 and have fallen in love, but I am afraid of the how do you say "american" in it will have it fall apart within the next 2 years. And as for everyone here not thinking I can drive a stick. I learned how to about 3 years ago on a 1972 Volvo E1800 with a clutch that 20 years old! An automatic is out the question. So any suggestions? THANKS!! :biggrin:
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi335 View Post
saw you comment and i'd lay on my bed and cry, then i put some Yulio Iglesias music, no more problem.


-█--------█-
Heinzftw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2008, 02:21 AM   #2
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 25-year member
 
Oregon's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' 135i, HPE & SSK & 04' M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oregon

Posts: 2,590
iTrader: (0)

Would you be interested in a 1971 Buick Skylark sedan?:iono::biggrin:Sorry, it's late, I couldn't help myself.:wink:
Attached Images
 
__________________
Resigned 1ADDICTS Moderator


To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2008, 05:09 AM   #3
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
 
BMW Dreamer's Avatar
 
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern IL.

Posts: 2,387
iTrader: (0)

I would suggest a foreign car like a Honda, Toyota, Subaru. The Z28 will probably be a MONEY PIT. The Acura might be a great car, but they have had alot of tranny problems. A used 2 door Accord with a manual would be more reliable, a little fun and pretty quick.
BMW Dreamer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2008, 06:52 AM   #4
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
 
atr_hugo's Avatar
 
Drives: SWB 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -

Posts: 4,247
iTrader: (0)

SVT Focus if you can get one at that price point. A used Miata, which you CAN get at that price point.
atr_hugo is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2008, 07:54 AM   #5
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
 
MVF4Rrider's Avatar
 
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Las Vegas NV

Posts: 2,060
iTrader: (0)

I'd look for a '85 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE with the 135 hp 80 c.i. 13B rotary. Way fun and enough hp to keep you satisfied. Motors are bullet proof...only 3 moving parts! Car lools good too. Trouble is finding a nice one, but they show up every now and then...
__________________
'08 Carrera S 6MT Guards Red/Black ext leather, Carbon fiber pkg, sport exh, sport chrono +, PASM, Nav, Bose, 19" forged turbos, red tranny tunnel
'07 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 1+1, Corse Red/Silver, RG3 race pipes and factory race ECU
MVF4Rrider is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2008, 10:19 AM   #6
Crowley
Major
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

Posts: 1,015
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
So, I know many of you will be saddened to hear this, but owning a 1 for me is definitely a few years away. With graduation about a month away I have opted for a car for graduation. With only being 17 about to turn 18. I know many of the folks in here probably would of guessed I was in my 20's making 6 figures a year. That for me is about 6-8 years away. But enough about me! So I pretty much have a budget of about 5k for a car. As much as I want to I don't think I could afford any BMW to truly enjoy and appreciate it. Right now I am looking a neighbors 1998 Chevy Z28, 1999 Acura CL 3.0 with a manual gearbox, or anything really under 5k. I have driven the Z28 and have fallen in love, but I am afraid of the how do you say "american" in it will have it fall apart within the next 2 years. And as for everyone here not thinking I can drive a stick. I learned how to about 3 years ago on a 1972 Volvo E1800 with a clutch that 20 years old! An automatic is out the question. So any suggestions? THANKS!! :biggrin:

I don't think you can go wrong w/ the Z28 .. had a 2001 SS .... don't let the badge fool you .. in today's world, most american brands have a lot better quality control. The plus is that there are a LOT of aftermarket parts and shops that will work on this car ..

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with that choice as long as the car has been kept in good condition ..

thanks,
Crowley
__________________


The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: There is something simply magical about BMWs in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.
Crowley is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Turbo Festiva
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal

Posts: 1,721
iTrader: (2)

get a honda(integra gsr,99 civic si ) prelude youll have some fun, cheap to maintain reliable good resale value
mtla4 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #8
john970
1er
 
Drives: 08 135
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver

Posts: 1,203
iTrader: (0)

I would go for an rsx type s, maybe an 02. Probably going to be a little over 5k but I loved mine and it has honda reliability. A civic Si is also an awesome fun to drive car and they are prob. more realistic for 5k (and also very reliable).
john970 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2008, 10:56 AM   #9
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Turbo Festiva
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal

Posts: 1,721
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john970 View Post
I would go for an rsx type s, maybe an 02. Probably going to be a little over 5k but I loved mine and it has honda reliability. A civic Si is also an awesome fun to drive car and they are prob. more realistic for 5k (and also very reliable).
Ive had 2... I bought an 03 in 03 than got an a4 missed my rsx-s it so much that I added an 02 to the stabble. Rsx-s are fun
mtla4 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #10
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
 
MVF4Rrider's Avatar
 
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Las Vegas NV

Posts: 2,060
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
I'd look for a '85 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE with the 135 hp 80 c.i. 13B rotary. Way fun and enough hp to keep you satisfied. Motors are bullet proof...only 3 moving parts! Car lools good too. Trouble is finding a nice one, but they show up every now and then...
Not the SE, but is 27 years old with under 24,000 original miles!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-...QQcmdZViewItem
__________________
'08 Carrera S 6MT Guards Red/Black ext leather, Carbon fiber pkg, sport exh, sport chrono +, PASM, Nav, Bose, 19" forged turbos, red tranny tunnel
'07 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 1+1, Corse Red/Silver, RG3 race pipes and factory race ECU
MVF4Rrider is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #11
imported_NA
Private
 
Drives:
Join Date: Apr 2008

Posts: 66
iTrader: (0)

Integra GSR. Definitely worth it if you can find one that was not modded.
__________________
135i Coupe .. Titanium Silver .. Coral .. 6 Speed .. Sport .. Cold Weather

* Ordered: April 7
* Production Completed: April 16
* Delivered: May 10th
imported_NA is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2008, 08:56 PM   #12
Heinzftw
Major
 
Heinzftw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Jose, Cali

Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (0)

Yeah a Integra would be very nice, but the problem is I live in Northern California. Integra's are stolen like no other around here. There is a women who comes to my work once a week with a real Type-R she purchased new for 23k. She has a gun under her seat to say the least. But at this moment I would say either Z28, Integra LS or GSR. Ok another question! Anyone ever driven or owned a 635i? A neighbor down the street owns one, and it is in amazing condition. Would you buy it?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi335 View Post
saw you comment and i'd lay on my bed and cry, then i put some Yulio Iglesias music, no more problem.


-█--------█-
Heinzftw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST