BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-01-2008, 04:42 PM   #23
scs
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
329
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: 98632

iTrader: (0)

i took a hit on my '07 civic cp, excellent kbb was 15.4K and i managed 15k from the dealer. they weren't happy because i didn't mention the trade until my 135i was ready for pick up. (fwiw i paid msrp for the bmw though)
bought the car for 20k (new) at the end of '06
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #24
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
BMW Dreamer's Avatar
28
Rep
2,387
Posts

 
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern IL.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scs View Post
i took a hit on my '07 civic cp, excellent kbb was 15.4K and i managed 15k from the dealer. they weren't happy because i didn't mention the trade until my 135i was ready for pick up. (fwiw i paid msrp for the bmw though)
bought the car for 20k (new) at the end of '06
OK that sounds great. My 07 Civic is the Si model, $22,000 new. When I am ready to order in Feb 09 I am sure they will deal better off MSRP. In fact they are already giving quite a bit off.

Thanks for the input scs127699. :w00t:

I will be firm on $15,500 for my car if its still mint, and I have no problem with that. Then $1,000 off the 135i and I will be OK. I will still try to sell myself asking $18,499 OBO. And taking as low as $16,500. If they wait until the 135i comes in. The dealers are asking $19-$20k for used Si's now with 15-20,000 miles for 06 models. I will have no problem selling it. BUT the problem is selling it in Feb or March. If it was May 09 it would sell fast. My car is black so cleaning it for people to see in Feb is going to be VERY HARD!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 06:26 PM   #25
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
20
Rep
1,938
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (1)

Edmunds.com TMV tool.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 07:33 PM   #26
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
BMW Dreamer's Avatar
28
Rep
2,387
Posts

 
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern IL.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
Edmunds.com TMV tool.
YAH, did you read my introduction?

Thanks Brandon.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #27
scs
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
329
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: 98632

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
OK that sounds great. My 07 Civic is the Si model, $22,000 new. When I am ready to order in Feb 09 I am sure they will deal better off MSRP. In fact they are already giving quite a bit off.

Thanks for the input scs127699. :w00t:

I will be firm on $15,500 for my car if its still mint, and I have no problem with that. Then $1,000 off the 135i and I will be OK. I will still try to sell myself asking $18,499 OBO. And taking as low as $16,500. If they wait until the 135i comes in. The dealers are asking $19-$20k for used Si's now with 15-20,000 miles for 06 models. I will have no problem selling it. BUT the problem is selling it in Feb or March. If it was May 09 it would sell fast. My car is black so cleaning it for people to see in Feb is going to be VERY HARD!!!
forgot to add the car was not mint, dog scratches all over the inside plastics, also a gouge in the front bumper, and a few scratches on the door paint. 17k miles also
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 07:56 PM   #28
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
BMW Dreamer's Avatar
28
Rep
2,387
Posts

 
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern IL.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scs View Post
forgot to add the car was not mint, dog scratches all over the inside plastics, also a gouge in the front bumper, and a few scratches on the door paint. 17k miles also
By Feb 09 if I keep my black 07 Civic Si mint and have about 17,000 miles on it I should be able to get $15,500 for a trade-in on the 135i. If they low ball me at $14k I will just go to Carmax or see what the Honda dealer I bought it from will offer. And I am sure I will be able to get the $40,400 equipped 135i for $1,000 off MSRP. The invoice on it is $37,185, so if they give me $1k off MSRP they still make $2,215 in profit, plus the yearly kickback from BMW which is another 3-4%=$1,188-$1,585.

I will be 100% grey haired by the time I order one. I plan on ordering one on my b-day Feb 21,2009. About 276 days.

Another advantage of selling it myself are the people that live in my area. Civic's everywhere. And alot of Si wantabee's. Slow beaters I love to FK with, BYE BYE.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #29
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
4
Rep
468
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Mar 2008

iTrader: (0)

jeff,

u putting snows on the 1?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 09:12 PM   #30
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
BMW Dreamer's Avatar
28
Rep
2,387
Posts

 
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern IL.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat986 View Post
jeff,

u putting snows on the 1?
Once I get a 135i I will get a set of 17" wheels and probably Dunlop D3 snows. 225/45/17" all around from Tirerack. I will probably get a small space saver spare and a small jack that both weigh about 40#. That way I will have a spare for the winter non-run-flats, and a spare for when I need new 18" summer NON-run-flat tires. At that time I will probably get 225/40/18" in front and 255/35/18" in the rear. For summer tires I really like the look of the Bridgestone RE-760 Sport, Dunlop Sport Z1, and the Yokohama S.Drive. I don't know which one is best. I will have to find out. Also cost is some what important, but weight is MORE important to me. I would rather pay more for a better summer tire hoping its also light.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 08:30 AM   #31
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
BMW Dreamer's Avatar
28
Rep
2,387
Posts

 
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern IL.

iTrader: (0)

Here are all the numbers on a 2006 Civic Si in excellent cond with 17,000 miles. Trade-in value

KBB $16,875

NADA
Clean trade-in $16,550

Edmunds 17,000 miles
Excellent cond. trade-in $16,106

Edmunds TMV no miles entered $14,762.

Edmunds 17,000 miles
Good cond trade-in $15,401

I am still wondering what BMW will offer. If they just call a nearby Honda dealer who will they call at the Honda dealer? The used car manager? I wonder if BMW will just sell it to Honda for what they give me on the trade?

I need a realistic trade BMW will give me. Will they want to make money on the Honda trade and on the BMW 135i.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #32
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
atr_hugo's Avatar
No_Country
77
Rep
4,247
Posts

 
Drives: SWB 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Will they want to make money on the Honda trade and on the BMW 135i[?]
Yes to both - they won't want the Honda - they'll wholesale it and they'll offer you less than whatever the going local auction price is for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 11:20 AM   #33
hector
Captain
6
Rep
680
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 e92 335i, 2008 128i cpe.
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: virgo supercluster bwo Pennsylvania.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
... local auction price...
is there any way for a "civilian" to discover the mmr data? i tried googling it but was unsuccessful.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #34
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
BMW Dreamer's Avatar
28
Rep
2,387
Posts

 
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern IL.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Yes to both - they won't want the Honda - they'll wholesale it and they'll offer you less than whatever the going local auction price is for it.
So you are saying maybe $14,000 according to the numbers I posted above? Or even less, which would be a JOKE.

Post # 31.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #35
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
atr_hugo's Avatar
No_Country
77
Rep
4,247
Posts

 
Drives: SWB 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

Jeff - I have no idea what your Honda is wholesaling for in the Chicago area. But 'book' numbers aren't auction numbers.

I think most folks here would agree, that where possible, a direct sale to a buyer at retail/slightly-below retail is your best bet.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 03:42 PM   #36
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
BMW Dreamer's Avatar
28
Rep
2,387
Posts

 
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern IL.

iTrader: (0)

YAH, I checked how much a car would be to rent for a month by me. I can rent an Avis car for $670 month total. I just hope I can sell it in Feb or March 2009 during nasty weather. I will still have to see how much they offer me on a trade incase I can't sell it. I will also go to Carmax to get their 30 day quote. I also will go to the dealer I bought it from and compare the 3 offers incase I have no luck selling it. But the car will go for about $19k minimum at dealers when I am ready to sell, so getting $17,500 to a private buyer should be easy. I will keep it mint and know how to do professional detail job on it. Civic's and rice cars are very poplar where I live.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #37
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
20
Rep
1,938
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
So you are saying maybe $14,000 according to the numbers I posted above? Or even less, which would be a JOKE.

Post # 31.
Just don't trade your in if you don't want to get taken to the cleaners, it's as simple as that...you'll have to go figure out how to make that not happen.

Sorry I missed the part in your original post that addressed my response. You obviously know how to do your homework on this, but nothing anybody says here will prevent the dealer from trying to steal your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #38
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
BMW Dreamer's Avatar
28
Rep
2,387
Posts

 
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern IL.

iTrader: (0)

YAH I know. I will try to sell myself. I am just hoping around Feb/Mar 09 they have alot more 135i manuals on the lots. That way I can just sell my car in late Mar early April 09, when the weather here in northern IL is alot easier to clean my car for possible buyers to see it. Then I can just go buy one on a lot. Having to order a car and wait 7-10 weeks is hard to sell a car and wait for the new one to come in. Every time I have ordered a car or truck I just tradded in my other car so I had something to drive while waiting. I don't mind getting as much as $4,000 less on a trade-in over selling myself, but I am not going to loose $5,000. Which is what people are saying BMW will probably try to do. If I can sell the car for $18-19k, and KBB trade-in value says $16,500, I don't see why BMW wouldn't give me $15k which is what I would settle for, as long as they give me about $1,000 off the 135i's MSRP. This would be a very fair trade for BMW and myself. But I won't take $13,500. I will see when the time comes. I really don't know. Maybe I might be shocked and get a good deal???
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 08:20 AM   #39
EVO_S4
Colonel
EVO_S4's Avatar
44
Rep
2,200
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 Golf R
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TN

iTrader: (28)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [4.12]
Go in there firm with a price and you should be able to KBB trade-in value, As long as you know you have the credit dont let the dealer screw you twice. For example I trade my 03 Evo for the 06 330i (E90) my KBB trade-in was only $22k, I manged to get $23.5 on mine trade and also with a $2K discount. Dealer will give you all kind of line on how that cant and wont be able to give you a good deal , that when you just get up and walk out and go to another dealer. One thing is give them the BS line about how you are looking at another car and whoever give you the best deal will win your business. Just be firm on the price consumer should have the upper hand since they want to make money of you
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 08:50 AM   #40
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
BMW Dreamer's Avatar
28
Rep
2,387
Posts

 
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern IL.

iTrader: (0)

Thanks is300.

When I am ready to order a 135i, I will first go to Carmax as a start. Then I will go to the BMW dealer with a nice folder full of proof and numbers. I do this all the time. By tradding in the car I will save $1,000 in taxes, also not having to spend $$$ on advertising. I plan on ordering a 135i in Feb 09, and cleaning my car to show people in the winter will be a real pain, almost impossible. Plus how many people want to buy a used car at this time of year? I am estimating my car will be going for $19-19.5k at the dealers in Feb 09. The KBB trade-in value will be about $16.5k. With wholesale in good condition at about $14.5k. I know I could sell it for $18k, but how long it will take I don't know? In Feb 09 I am sure BMW will give me at least $1k off MSRP. So if they do that and give me $15k for the trade-in I will accept. But I will also try to sell it while waiting 8-10 weeks for the 135i delivery. If I was selling my car in May/June it would be much easier to clean it for viewing. I just don't want to order a 135i in May, then I won't get the car until July/Aug.

Thanks for the post !
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST